• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your Favourite Female Character Designs in Gaming?

13ruce

Banned
Samus, Imp Midna Regular Midna, Zelda, Squid Sisters, Twintelle, Peach and Roselina, Shanoa, Castlevania, Chun Li and Linkle .

Edit: Witcher 3: Ciri and Horizon Dawn Aloy, also like Lara Croft, The Boss, Eva, Sniper Wolf.

DemWalls

Speaking of which, I've always liked this lady from The Secret World:

Very aristocratic, so to say. Plus I'm a fan of relatively simple designs. Many of those posted here I find a bit overdesigned.

+ A couple random bonus pics:

Just another one I have on my imgur album, though I don't remember if it's actually from some Chinese/Korean game or just a cool artwork. Anyway, I really like it:
JAivldo.jpg

Turin

Banned
I wouldn't have put it that way lol, but I don't find Tifa's design particularly memorable, apart from her chest I suppose, but even back then, at 12 years old, I couldn't believe they designed her that way.

I felt a little weird about that phrasing as soon as I posted it tbh......

Some think it's iconic. Maybe it is but I think it made it harder to take her seriously.

Reki

I'm not sure why but I always loved Mirania's design from The Last Story. Maybe because it's not as exuberant/over the top as JRPGs usually offer:

And she is a pretty funny character too.

Jennipeg

I felt a little weird about that phrasing as soon as I posted it tbh......

Some think it's iconic. Maybe it is but I think it made it harder to take her seriously.

I actively ignore her design, because thinking about this woman doing martial arts in a mini skirt is.... just no, it would be around her waist, she would be better off with a skirt like 2B. Tifa's design is easily fixed with shorts, they could have been just as short as the skirt. I prefer the Advent Children design in every way, it sure looked good on Rinoa too.

DemWalls

...And then they went and downgraded her outfit in W3, despite it making absolutely no sense. Still bummed about that.

Are you referring to what's said in the books, or you just don't like how she's dressed given her situation in the game?

george_us

latest

The Beauty and the Beast Unit are the most aesthetically terrifying villains in the Metal Gear universe. Their intro video put the fear of God in me plus their backstories were all pretty interesting. Too bad about the exploitatative scenes when their armor was removed.

Fuchsdh

Are you referring to what's said in the books, or you just don't like how she's dressed given her situation in the game?

Just the situation in the game. Leaving aside the alternate outfit thing, this is a game series where the only people who are ever shown all sexed up are sorceresses, and she's supposed to be incognito in the city that is burning sorceresses. Maybe cover up more than just "I put on a hood, I am invisible!"

I have similar issues with Ves given that she's running around with her front exposed for no good reason and she's a soldier, but that gets into a practicality issue more than the character design on its own.

Turin

Banned
LQXtTmW.gif

I actively ignore her design, because thinking about this woman doing martial arts in a mini skirt is.... just no, it would be around her waist, she would be better off with a skirt like 2B. Tifa's design is easily fixed with shorts, they could have been just as short as the skirt. I prefer the Advent Children design in every way, it sure looked good on Rinoa too.

Yeah. She looks like the badass she's supposed to be in AC.

I'm curious to see what direction Nomura takes it with VIIR.

DemWalls

Just the situation in the game. Leaving aside the alternate outfit thing, this is a game series where the only people who are ever shown all sexed up are sorceresses, and she's supposed to be incognito in the city that is burning sorceresses. Maybe cover up more than just "I put on a hood, I am invisible!"

I have similar issues with Ves given that she's running around with her front exposed for no good reason and she's a soldier, but that gets into a practicality issue more than the character design on its own.

Her appearance in TW 3 kinda bothers me because, as I said, it goes against something Triss explicitly says in the books (she has some really nasty scars on her chest, and vowed to never expose it again). Forgetting about this for a moment, though, I think the outfit itself is pretty good, especially since that's not an outrageously low cleavage (see the alternate outfit) and they didn't give her enormous breasts* barely squeezed into a skintight garment (which is a very typical design choice in many, many games - see Triss herself in TW 1).

I agree that they could have given her a longer cape for when she is incognito (many NPCs have one, so they could have just reused the model), but honestly her whole questline in Novigrad felt a bit off to me. Just how it develops and all.

About Ves, it's funny, really. Both in TW 2 and TW 3 there are characters who openly criticize her choice of clothing, how it's not fit for a warrior, etcetera. It's almost like CDPR designed her to make some sort of statement and wanted to say more about it and Ves herself, but something got cut along the way.

* Modders got this, though :lol:

Ushay

I think Aloy from Horizon has one the best I've seen in recent memory.

Her design is respectful to her gender, she shows zeal and passion in her animations and expresses herself really well in the game.

Honestly its really refreshing.

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn are full of great designs, but Titania takes the cake. She's one of my favorite characters in gaming. Capable, cool, stronger than most of the men, attractive without being sexualized, kind and caring while also being relatively pragmatic about life. Win situation all around.

But since this is mainly about her design, she just looks really badass. Plus, her name is really cool too. In English and Japanese (Japanese was Tiamat)

No one else comes close. This is how you design medieval(ish) female characters.

Beatrix and Freya from Final Fantasy IX are among my favorites. I like the look of the the Splatoon girls. Twintelle from ARMS. Most of the girls from Adventures of Hourai High. Bebedora from Arc the Lad. Bayonetta, particularly her 2 outfit. There are a lot more can't think of right now.

So someone posted that horrid Maria in the other thread and that reminded me how awesome her redesign was in Dracula X Chronicles

latest

Official-Dracula-X-Chronicles-Wallpaper-maria-renard-32239908-1024-768.jpg

Sure her clothing looks like a Georgian page boy's but it looks rad as heck on her

anaron

Miang - Xenogears

WkYJOXZ.jpg

RJScpAA.jpg

Morte - Sands of Destruction
rxTQCEu.jpg

Ashe - FF XII

cm9FSVz.jpg

Ovelia - FF Tactics
46fRpoy.jpg

Agrias - FF Tactics
QxbwDy5.jpg

Samatha and Pulpa - Terra Battle
ujSdOna.jpg

EgkklnD.jpg

Edea - FF8
JLGeFgf.jpg

Argilla - Digital Devil Saga

dkcy3o9.jpg

Shion - Xenosaga episode 1

PPw4Wfa.jpg

Ballthyrm

Ce got a couple of Evie Frye already, but her incarnation in the DLC is better i think.
She is among the few older character we have.

9900a2465359186996eedbb4002cb98c.jpg

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
riesbyfe stridberg is my favorite character in anything ever. i absolutely love her ambiguousness, her design, her weapon, her gameplay (melty blood), her name, her color scheme, etc etc. she was made for me and no one cares about her smh

4432d7fafd.jpg

What game is this from? She looks cool.

Banned
Something not overly sexualized usually.

Samus Aran for me. Sick power suit.

GG nailed Aloy for me. I loved her. Strong and skilled and not just a pretty face. Nora tribal clothing.

latest

Also, Elma for Xenoblade Chronicles X.

2746537-elma_gun_point_tumblr_nksu2f4mfc1qiik7vo3_1280.png

Top Bottom