• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your Favourite Female Character Designs in Gaming?

Wazzy

Banned
I'm so annoyed with myself for forgetting Edea, one of my favourite designs in gaming.

How could you forget the queen. D:

Well, one of them is a fetishistic bar wench design in a series that's come under fire recently with FFXV's disappointing representation.

The other is a knock off of Rinoa's wardrobe. I think Tifa wears it better with her more aggressive style but Rinoa did it first.

In before Wazzy turns me into a human totem pole.
a23feaec6e004ec74aad92d795cdd961.gif

We both know what happens next.
legit tho Tifa's original design is shit and her AC one is a poor mans Rinoa
Speaking of Edea, i love the Witches design in Final Fantasy VIII, especially Edea and Adele:

SO GUD

Mephala

riesbyfe stridberg is my favorite character in anything ever. i absolutely love her ambiguousness, her design, her weapon, her gameplay (melty blood), her name, her color scheme, etc etc. she was made for me and no one cares about her smh

4432d7fafd.jpg

Now that I think about it Melty Blood has a lot of characters that I like. I guess it is the simplistic modern wear that isn't too designed or fashionable. It just looks clean and pretty good. Guess I like the flowy hair sprites too.

Aozaki
405575-aozaki_180.jpg

I pretty much jumped her when I started playing because she dresses as I would dress. T-Shirt + Jeans. She also goes around with a travelling suit case which gives me Terry Bogard vibes so bonus points there. She also has the cool air of confidence.
aoko.gif~c200

Akiha & Acueid
Again mostly clean simple design but for both of these characters I really like their designs in that both have hidden dark powers and both have forms where they unleash it. Akiha Vermillion's stance change and bright red hair is fantastic. Arcueid's changes are great as well. I also enjoy that it seems to change their personality a bit. Their attacks seem more animalistic and savage with their open claws and faster idles. I also can't get over their smug faces.
latest

latest

57915075247b8a31353c12.gif

Other characters, Shiki, Ciel, Eltnum and even the maids don't look as bad as I'd expect. In fact I the way the the maids use mops and brooms in their attacks are kind of fun.

Toxi

Banned
From Monster Hunter: The G-Rank Nerscylla/Shrouded Nerscylla Blademaster armor, seen on the right here. Why? It's the fucking Qubeley.

bQWjnQ9.png

(I might be biased because I love spiders and I love mecha)

The Dink

Most of my favorites have been posted but here's some I don't think were mentioned:

Impa from Hyrule Warriors:

impa.jpg

Jack in ME3 was the better design for the character:

th

Also, come on guys how could you forget:

latest

Also, pretty much everyone from the Suikoden series.

Almond

It's about how contrived it is for purposes of titillation. Designers will fit some sort of plastic time compression tube into a SEKUSHII mold if they must.

I understand designers will put their own personal tastes into designing characters, but I don't think it's always a bad thing or that the design can't be taken seriously.

Realistically suits do NOT curve around the breasts in that fashion. It's literally physically impossible without cups being built into the outfit, and that material does not look like a hard, solid material that could hold that shape.

More importantly, any sort of exposed cleavage on a character that is ostensibly going to see combat is egregiously stupid and instantly takes me out. It makes it incredibly obvious who the target audience is and also disrespects the character's agency (because why the shit would she decide to wear this crap, come on!).

I'm going to judge people hard for praising this junk. We should have higher standards. Instead we're happy with bottom-of-the-barrel designs because they please straight guys' boners. Grrreeeat.

That's what I said though.....the top she's wearing has a built in bra, it's not magically forming to her body.

I don't see what;s wrong with unrealistic designs in a fantasy setting. I'm not saying they should all be that way, but whats wrong having silly/unrealistic designs in a setting that allows for it?

I don't know if you're talking about me specifically, but I'm not judging you for not liking certain designs like these. There are plenty of valid concerns when it come to female character designs, but that's too much of a detailed discussion for this thread.

And I just remebered a few more....

Reika - Fatal Frame 3: The Tormented

Z2JVvS0.png

Cornet and the other main female cast - Rahpsody: A Musical Adventure series

art-cornet1.jpg
art-cherie.jpg
art-neokururu.jpg

Jotakori

Aranea from FFXV - Something about that helmet, yo.... it's so friggin' badass looking and I love how it contrasts with how pretty she is. Loved her design as soon as I saw it, and it only got better after the crotch window was removed lol

Also Aigis from P3 - love her color palette so much, and just all around super solid design

dark_haze

Neo Member
Aqua's design is pretty excellent.
OPA_master.00004627_FIX.jpg

Kiria Kurono is also a favorite of mine. Namely her Give Me costume because of it's great use of colors
Shin-Megami-Tensei-X-Fire-Embem_2015_10-01-15_013.jpg

Lastly Tetra and Botw Zelda are tied for me... though the latter is winning so far ^^
DCb5WiJUQAAo-Pk.jpg

Veedot

latest

I don't play FE games at all and just admire designs from a distance BUT DAM if Rinkah isn't purely my aesthetic!!!! Yet people love boring ass robin and lucina....(this franchise wasn't made for me lol)

latest

I know aigis was mentioned multiple times and she's great. BUT METIS DESIGN AND COLOR PALETTE HITS ALL MY FUCKING BUTTONS. I bought her figma when I was only 30 hrs in P3 purely for the design. Before I started the answer I was terrified she was going to be an awful character beyond the design but she's fine so far(only 30 mins in and I'm watching it on YouTube because fuck grinding for 30 hours).

Gattsu25

Banned
Aloy all day
tumblr_om3hj2haW61w3pg7no1_500.gif

Eileen the Crow:

tumblr_o3rnh9XKW81tt3wuco1_540.png

tumblr_nm05t6xu3v1t6xtc8o2_400.gif

From Bloodborne

Pharah (Overwatch)
Overwatch-Pharah.png

Zarya (Overwatch)
Code:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/0sNGqFE.jpg[/img]

Orisa (Overwatch)
Code:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/lSNP0qK.jpg[/img]

uoufb.png

+1 for Nilin (Remember me)

Merlwyb Bloefhiswyn (Final Fantasy XIV)
Code:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/uiyES2E.png[/img]

Vivienne (Dragon Age Inquisition)
Code:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/UL545ps.jpg[/img]

I'm not going to post each series so I'll just post names. I think most of them have been posted here.

Panzer Dragoon - Azel
Final Fantasy - Terra, Rinoa, Yuna, Lightning (a good design is a good design). I'll throw in Ashe too.
Xenogears/Xenosaga - Elly, KOS-MOS
Ni-oh - Okatsu
Siren 2 - Yuri
Resonance of Fate -Leanne

You like Claire's original RE2 design and the mom jeans in CV? I mean, I like her character and there's something about the outfits that is close to being good ... but I feel like it just doesn't quite make it.

That KOS-MOS art is stunning though.

Edit: I also like Ashe's design but sometimes wonder if I'm crazy for it. I never quite realized she wasn't actually wearing a hot pink miniskirt or how short it was from playing the game. But somehow it still kind of works for me ... mostly.

Okatsu and Yuki-Onna (Nioh)
Estelle (Trails in the Sky)
Triss Merigold (The Witcher 2)
Yennefer and Ciri (The Witcher 3)
Eileen the Crow (Bloodborne)
Tae Takemi (Persona 5)
Jeanne (Bayonetta)
Ana (Overwatch)

Turin

Banned
People posting Aranea and it's not even her better design.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Rinoa would love it on Tifa and you know it.

Her OG outfit is by far the dumbest in VII's main cast. It doesn't suit her personality or fighting style and seems even more ridiculous during VII's most dramatic scenes.

2B from Nier Automata (Regular + Armor)
Kat from Gravity Rush
Black Rose from .hack//
Samus from Metroid (Light Armor)
Tali from Mass Effect

Honorable mention:
Symmetra from Overwatch (Oasis)

Most of my favorites have been posted but here's some I don't think were mentioned:

Impa from Hyrule Warriors:

impa.jpg
Impa looks so badass in HW! I was hoping that a HW Complete edition was announced at E3 to motivate me to buy a Switch but as of now nothing has been said. Hopefully the gameplay is good since I found that must Warriors games tend to be lacking on gameplay, and by that I mean that they tend to become press square a bunch because nothin else matters because the movesets tend to be really limited.

Dice//

Banned
How could you forget the queen. D:

SO GUD

Gilgamesh's "cardboarm arms" is probably one of my favorite visual gags

DrArchon

Also Aigis from P3 - love her color palette so much, and just all around super solid design

I remember reading an old blog post during the development of Skullgirls by Alex Ahad (the main artist) were he at length praised Aigis's design. It was a really great read too.

Basically he compared her to KOSMOS from Xenosaga and said that despite having a much more muted and restrained design, Aigis communicates the idea that she's a robot much more effectively than KOSMOS, thanks to things like the shoulder and hip joints. Whereas KOSMOS just looks like an anime girl in a costume. That critique really stuck with me for some reason and it got me to appreciate designs that are a lot simpler but still manage to convey their intended themes and ideas.

Since I think I'm one of the few that still cares about this I might as well post it. :p
Call from Red Ash:
1436106535-red-ash-call-and-gofer.jpg

I love how the characters from Red Ash look and it hurts that I won't see them on a good game. :(

Top Bottom