• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your Favourite Female Character Designs in Gaming?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
riesbyfe stridberg is my favorite character in anything ever. i absolutely love her ambiguousness, her design, her weapon, her gameplay (melty blood), her name, her color scheme, etc etc. she was made for me and no one cares about her smh

4432d7fafd.jpg

She's apart of backalley for a reason

Where fantasy things are happening literally every minute, if we're comparing it to our real world.

It's silly to get caught up talking about the practicality of clothing in a fantasy/sci-fi setting. Maybe you don't like what she's wearing, but that's a different discussion.

It's about how contrived it is for purposes of titillation. Designers will fit some sort of plastic time compression tube into a SEKUSHII mold if they must.

You may as well say "any game from Japan, with a few exceptions". The number of Japanese games without overly sexualized female characters (and still having any female characters - obviously there's no point counting games with no female characters to begin with) is something I can count on one hand. At least, for the ones I know of. Most of them are from the Souls series.

You could try posting counter-examples to try to prove me wrong. (Challenge mode: don't include From Software games, and don't include games that are adaptations of manga or anime series.)

Doesn't matter either way, because I'm still disappointed in the direction of the Japanese games industry and am having an increasingly difficult time finding developers that don't aim for the lowest common denominator. Lately it feels like I've been bombarded with a litany of minimum-effort "waifu"-selling games with increasingly ridiculous and over-the-top one-sided sexualization, even in games that have absolutely no business going for that demo. You have to go pretty far back to find a time where that wasn't the case.

Some what I consider recent enough: Final Fantasy XIV, Zelda BotW, Nioh, The Last Guardian, Gravity Rush, World of Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest Builders, Pokemon Sun/Moon, Digimon Cyber Sleuth, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Tales of Zestiria, Yakuza games.

There, more than a handful, and I could keep going if you want. Maybe you just haven't played Japanese games enough.

DJIzana

Probably either Katalina or Volemia from Granblue Fantasy.

Katalina:
o_1a01g0jma1jt816pj1u6esqn1sfr5g.png-w648

Volemia:
4d4df7473763f35c6fc92e01d84bb57d.jpg

They both, heavily, remind me of Agrias Oaks and Milleuda Folles from FFT too, for some reason. xD

Too many characters from this franchise that I love the design of... immensely. :D

redcrayon

Oboro from Fire Emblem Fates, I absolutely love her color scheme and appreciate the Spear Fighter class.
latest
Agree with this too, definitely my favourite female character from FE:Fates. Of course her colour scheme and costume are cool, she's a tailor :D

Inuhanyou

Some what I consider recent enough: Final Fantasy XIV, Zelda BotW, Nioh, The Last Guardian, Gravity Rush, World of Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest Builders, Pokemon Sun/Moon, Digimon Cyber Sleuth, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Tales of Zestiria, Yakuza games.

There, more than a handful, and I could keep going if you want. Maybe you just haven't played Japanese games enough.

Your not helping my case at all because

A, either the games you listed are not in her criteria or

B. The games you listed contain sexualization of some kind regardless of the degree

Your not helping my case at all because

A, either the games you listed are not in her criteria or

B. The games you listed contain sexualization of some kind regardless of the degree

None?

I guess our overly sexualized standards are different then.

I wouldn't say Nier, FFXV, and Persona 5 match the criteria, for example.

KillLaCam

Banned
None?

I LOVE Nier and the character designs (Besides 9s) but I think its characters are pretty sexualized. Of course I wouldn't say it was anywhere near DOA level of sexualization .

Inuhanyou

None?

You seriously don't think Shiva, the girls phantom outfits and 2B are sexualized?

LotusHD

Banned
None?

Err, A2, 2B has a great, relatively classy design imo, but is not really a hill worth dying on, FFXV has the infamous Cindy, and some of the anime cutscenes for Ann were pretty unnecessary. Hell look at Ann when she gets knocked down lol

No, this is the best design ever:

latest

Err, A2, 2B has a great, relatively classy design imo, but is not really a hill worth dying on, FFXV has the infamous Cindy, and some of the anime cutscenes for Ann were pretty unnecessary. Hell look at Ann when she gets knocked down lol

No, this is the best design ever:

latest

What game is she from?

_Rob_

Struggling to find something that hasn't been posted; but I really liked how VV tweaked Coco's design for the N Sane Trilogy, really gives off the little sister vibe perfectly!

r9dYWcR.gif

I LOVE Nier and the character designs (Besides 9s) but I think its characters are pretty sexualized. Of course I wouldn't say it was anywhere near DOA level of sexualization .

You seriously don't think Shiva, the girls phantom outfits and 2B are sexualized?

I think you guys misunderstood me. I said those games don't match the criteria, which is games with no overly sexualized characters. So what I'm saying is Nier, FFXV, and Persona 5 do have overly sexualized characters.

PK Gaming

None?

Nier definitely matches the criteria. Like undeniably so.

That said, Nier's sexualization is generally fantastic; it feeds into the narrative in a great way
(ie: literally everything regarding 9S and 2B's relationship)
and the characters just look damn good.

EDIT: Nevermind I misread

KillLaCam

Banned
I think you guys misunderstood me. I said those games don't match the criteria, which is games with no overly sexualized characters. So what I'm saying is Nier, FFXV, and Persona 5 do have overly sexualized characters.

Ohhh sorry about that!

Yeah I actually like many sexualized characters but most of my favorites aren't sexualized : The Boss, Maria From Bloodborne and Maria from Nioh, maybe Queen Myrrah from gears of War but someone could probably argue that shes sexualized

Teepo671

Chun will always be one of my favorites
I also started playing the witcher 3 again and forgot how much I liked the design of all the major female characters.
Also really like the designs for Kat and Raven from the Gravity Rush series
The game may have bombed but I really enjoyed my time with it. There were a lot of characters I liked but Phoebe Elizabeth Audelia Hemsworth IV was by far my favorite of the cast.

Turin

Banned
Aloy is a great flagship character the industry was in desperate need of. A lot of great posts here(a few terrible ones).

Decided to cheat and go with something related to FFXV.

Crowe from Kingsglaive:
ffxv-Crowe.jpg

Of course, she turned out to be worthless canon-fodder for a weak ass story. -_-

Wazzy

Banned
My top designs would be:

1. Rinoa Heartilly and Edea Kramer from Final Fantasy VIII

2. Aya Brea from Parasite Eve

3. Makoto Persona 5(Anne looks great too)

4. Agrias Final Fantasy Tactics

A couple other fantastic ones are Elly from Xenogears, Maya Persona 2, Akane from Zero Escape and Beatrix Final Fantasy IX.

UrbanRats

Many examples have been given (The Boss, Maria from SH2, 2B, Jill from REmake, Callo from Vagrant story, etc etc).

A bunch that i like and didn't see (off the top of my head).

Jazz from Jet Set Radio Future:

Fran from Final Fantasy XII:

Ursula & Nina from Breath of Fire IV:

Elise from Assassin's Creed Unity:

Juno Eclipse from Star Wwars Force Unleashed (can't find a decent pic):

TissueBox

Struggling to find something that hasn't been posted; but I really liked how VV tweaked Coco's design for the N Sane Trilogy, really gives off the little sister vibe perfectly!

r9dYWcR.gif

I kinda miss the original style but regardless, CoCo's had just as interesting an evolution over the years as Crash has lol.

tumblr_inline_np01hbJb0D1rbem7u_500.gif

_Rob_

I kinda miss the original style but regardless, CoCo's had just as interesting an evolution over the years as Crash has lol.

"Interesting" is a very polite way of putting it! I'm glad that we're back to resembling the originals, even if there is something really charming about their low poly appearances.

Top Bottom