• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your Favourite Female Character Designs in Gaming?

Persona 3 - Aigis

latest

Final Fantasy XIII - Lightning

Final-Fantasy-Dissidia-012-Game-Character-Official-Artwork-Render-Lightning-Final-Fantasy-XIII.jpg

Mirror's Edge - Faith

927355-concept2.png

You two nailed it imo.

The Elements in Xenogears, especially goofy-ass Seraphita
Code:
[IMG]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8110/8651479570_03592b4e63_o.gif[/IMG]

Nah but Dominia is a total badass and tragically under-utilized in the story
Code:
[IMG]http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/xenosaga/images/e/ef/Xenogears_character_dominia.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20150901141819[/IMG]
[IMG]https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/bd/dd/46/bddd4635957485e8501f44c1c771a29e.gif[/IMG]

Laiza

Oh, yeah. I completely forgot about For Honor (somehow, despite still playing it today).

I love that it's really hard to tell their gender at a glance. These are all female characters:

In the same vein, that sweet, sweet body armor in XCOM 2:

The glowy bits aren't so practical, and maybe the powered armor is a bit too tight, but I'm a sucker for armor that genuinely looks like it can protect you from stray plasma bolts.

GLAMr

+1 for Aloy, Maria of the Clock Tower and Eileen the Crow.

It's hard to think of designs that aren't raging stereotypes or fapbait.

Nightfall

Can't believe no one has posted this one yet.

1697296-chara_boss_pic.gif

Yeah, disappointed she isn't mentoined more often

The-Boss-Final-Battle.jpg

The Boss is the GOAT when it comes to female characters. She's an absolute baddass.

Not overly sexualized like most other female characters and has a fantastic back story. I love her.

Almond

Elma - Xenoblade Chronicles X

Blue Lady - Xenoblade Chronicles X

Ylm2i7e.png

Xelha - Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean

BjYFDas.jpg

Melodia - Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean

PAHrPUt.jpg

KOS-MOS - Xenosaga Episode I: Der Wille Zur Macht

W4pj3b6.png

Great Fairy - Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

DixGdPc.jpg

Not sure what it is exactly I like about them but Elma, Blue Lady, and KOS-MOS just all look really cool to me.

Melodia and Xelha both have a cute/pretty look them. I wish the artists did more video game character designs.

BotW Great Fairy is the best Great Fairy yet.

There's more but this is long enough already...

And counting characters I haven't really gotten to see much of yet:

Pyra - Xenoblade Chronicles 2

fmNEC1j.png

Urbosa - Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

dIRp41K.png

I really love the color scheme they went with for Pyra, and I really just love the look of the Gerudo in BotW in general.

Laiza

Just don't think of any JRPG and you're good to go.
You may as well say "any game from Japan, with a few exceptions". The number of Japanese games without overly sexualized female characters (and still having any female characters - obviously there's no point counting games with no female characters to begin with) is something I can count on one hand. At least, for the ones I know of. Most of them are from the Souls series.

I wish it were something limited to JRPGs. Boy, do I fucking wish...
Pyra - Xenoblade Chronicles 2

fmNEC1j.png
Like, this. This right here? This is some serious garbage-tier design. The ridiculous boob socks, the obviously obligatory thigh exposure, the ridiculous hot pants (wtf is she wearing hot pants for?!), just, like... really, the fact that anyone is praising this is going to drive me up the bloody walls!

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
You may as well say "any game from Japan, with a few exceptions". The number of Japanese games without overly sexualized female characters (and still having any female characters - obviously there's no point counting games with no female characters to begin with) is something I can count on one hand. At least, for the ones I know of. Most of them are from the Souls series.

I wish it were something limited to JRPGs. Boy, do I fucking wish...

Your being ridiculous.

The claim that you can only count non sexualized characters on one hand from literally all Japanese games doesn't make any literal sense unless you either have a very loose definition of overly sexualized, or you haven't played enough.

I mean..it boggles my mind to hear something like that.

Laiza

Your being ridiculous.

The claim that you can only count non sexualized characters on one hand from literally all Japanese games doesn't make any literal sense.
I said games, not characters. And I said of the ones I know of, which obviously doesn't encompass all of Japanese output (but it does encompass a significant amount, since I follow Japanese media pretty closely).

Games without overtly sexualized female characters are a rarity in Japan. That is just a fact. Otaku dominate the market, and it is reflected in their design priorities. Even game series that weren't notable for such proclivities in their design in the past eventually switched over to courting that market (Fire Emblem in particular comes to mind here). It's something I quite literally have to put up with because it's almost entirely unavoidable. I know this very well, because I play a lot of Japanese games, often in spite of the fact that the developers obviously weren't expecting someone like me to be interested in the first place.

Korea's even worse in this regard, somehow. It's honestly amazing to me how misogynist their designs can be. Sigh. And then people actually praise that junk. Great, more reason for me to expect to be let down in the future.

Gardios

Peacock, Skullgirls

Code:
[IMG]http://www.fightersgeneration.com/np9/characters/skull/peacock-portrait-by-oh8.jpg[/IMG]
The Wanderer Class, Etrian Mystery Dungeon
Code:
[IMG]http://68.media.tumblr.com/a226adcd8503757f26e9ca0c357d9ab9/tumblr_ngopfpjOjC1qzp9weo3_r1_500.jpg[/IMG]
Fang, FFXIII
Code:
[IMG]https://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/finalfantasy/images/2/21/Ff13-fang.png/revision/latest?cb=20110830021713[/IMG]

Rinkah, Fire Emblem Fates
Code:
[IMG]http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/fireemblem/images/2/29/Rinka_portrait.png/revision/latest?cb=20161025071432[/IMG]

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I said games, not characters.

That doesn't make the claim any less incorrect or ridiculous!

I mean, you could even say a notable portion of games have sexualized females, or a large amount which would be understandable. But when you don't even claim a majority, but in reverse, less than a handful don't contain those elements, its not an arguable claim.

Whether you cover Japanese games or not means very little to whether or not your claim has merits

most already been posted, so here's one that i like a lot, but isn't even out yet :

Lumisa, from La-Mulana 2

Lumisa_Kosugi.png

6dmKfYC.jpg

Nw4soCC.jpg

not only the design, the art is great too

HiroTSK5

Oboro from Fire Emblem Fates, I absolutely love her color scheme and appreciate the Spear Fighter class.
latest

Elphelt from Xrd: No character has ever Waifu'd, or will ever Waifu as hard as she does and I love her for that
tumblr_ncgczy1Bjk1rdljluo2_250.gif

Gwendolyn from Odin Sphere: Literally Divine

Naoto Shirogane from P4: Gun-totting High School Detective

Laiza

That doesn't make the claim any less incorrect or ridiculous!

I mean, you could even say a notable portion of games have sexualized females, or a large amount which would be understandable. But when you don't even claim a majority, but in reverse, less than a handful don't contain those elements, its not an arguable claim.

Whether you cover Japanese games or not means very little to whether or not your claim has merits
You could try posting counter-examples to try to prove me wrong. (Challenge mode: don't include From Software games, and don't include games that are adaptations of manga or anime series.)

Doesn't matter either way, because I'm still disappointed in the direction of the Japanese games industry and am having an increasingly difficult time finding developers that don't aim for the lowest common denominator. Lately it feels like I've been bombarded with a litany of minimum-effort "waifu"-selling games with increasingly ridiculous and over-the-top one-sided sexualization, even in games that have absolutely no business going for that demo. You have to go pretty far back to find a time where that wasn't the case.

PK Gaming

I said games, not characters. And I said of the ones I know of, which obviously doesn't encompass all of Japanese output (but it does encompass a significant amount, since I follow Japanese media pretty closely).

Games without overtly sexualized female characters are a rarity in Japan. That is just a fact. Otaku dominate the market, and it is reflected in their design priorities. Even game series that weren't notable for such proclivities in their design in the past eventually switched over to courting that market (Fire Emblem in particular comes to mind here). It's something I quite literally have to put up with because it's almost entirely unavoidable. I know this very well, because I play a lot of Japanese games, often in spite of the fact that the developers obviously weren't expecting someone like me to be interested in the first place.

Korea's even worse in this regard, somehow. It's honestly amazing to me how misogynist their designs can be. Sigh. And then people actually praise that junk. Great, more reason for me to expect to be let down in the future.

This is true, though the trade off is that a lot of these designs tend to be very good/memorable.

You only need to use this thread as evidence, since the vast majority of the "favorite designs" posted come from Japanese games.

redcrayon

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn are full of great designs, but Titania takes the cake. She's one of my favorite characters in gaming. Capable, cool, stronger than most of the men, attractive without being sexualized, kind and caring while also being relatively pragmatic about life. Win situation all around.

But since this is mainly about her design, she just looks really badass. Plus, her name is really cool too. In English and Japanese (Japanese was Tiamat)
Yeah, this is my answer too. Titania rocks. The smallest detail on her costume, combining the feminine lacing of a medieval dress with a surcoat, is a great bit of work for a female knight rather than dumb boob armour, and her clothes, armour, hair and weapon all work together to show off her height. Really elegant design.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
So many already posted. Here are a few I didn't see:

Eirika, Fire Emblem Sacred Stones
Fess-eirika.png

The Maiden in Black, Demon's Souls
1452561599805.gif

Isabelle, Animal Crossing
IsabelleAssist.png

Merlwyb, Final Fantasy XIV
14c42cd3de197da29a1d05d6652f0217d56c067c.jpg

Almond

Like, this. This right here? This is some serious garbage-tier design. The ridiculous boob socks, the obviously obligatory thigh exposure, the ridiculous hot pants (wtf is she wearing hot pants for?!), just, like... really, the fact that anyone is praising this is going to drive me up the bloody walls!

I'd never heard the term "boob sock" before but I don't think this is one. Her top is clearly designed around having a bra built in to it, not just clinging to her. Thigh exposure seems a little silly to get worked up over, but yeah, she's wearing hot pants in a fantasy game. Where fantasy things are happening literally every minute, if we're comparing it to our real world.

It's silly to get caught up talking about the practicality of clothing in a fantasy/sci-fi setting. Maybe you don't like what she's wearing, but that's a different discussion.

Ritzboof

riesbyfe stridberg is my favorite character in anything ever. i absolutely love her ambiguousness, her design, her weapon, her gameplay (melty blood), her name, her color scheme, etc etc. she was made for me and no one cares about her smh

4432d7fafd.jpg

Laiza

This is true, though the trade off is that a lot of these designs tend to be very good/memorable.

You only need to use this thread as evidence, since the vast majority of the "favorite designs" posted come from Japanese games.
That doesn't need to be at the expense of respectable representation. Even some of the more egregious designs could be fixed with minor alterations.

Amusingly, it's also worth noting that a significant number of the examples within this thread are not the more outrageously sexualized designs. Almost as if you don't need cleavage windows and thigh exposure to make an impression.
I'd never heard the term "boob sock" before but I don't think this is one. Her top is clearly designed around having a bra built in to it, not just clinging to her. Thigh exposure seems a little silly to get worked up over, but yeah, she's wearing hot pants in a fantasy game. Where fantasy things are happening literally every minute, if we're comparing it to our real world.

It's silly to get caught up talking about the practicality of clothing in a fantasy/sci-fi setting. Maybe you don't like what she's wearing, but that's a different discussion.
Realistically suits do NOT curve around the breasts in that fashion. It's literally physically impossible without cups being built into the outfit, and that material does not look like a hard, solid material that could hold that shape.

More importantly, any sort of exposed cleavage on a character that is ostensibly going to see combat is egregiously stupid and instantly takes me out. It makes it incredibly obvious who the target audience is and also disrespects the character's agency (because why the shit would she decide to wear this crap, come on!).

I'm going to judge people hard for praising this junk. We should have higher standards. Instead we're happy with bottom-of-the-barrel designs because they please straight guys' boners. Grrreeeat.

Mephala

Hornet.
hornet___a_hollow_knight_character_by_teamcherry-d8a1ev8.jpg

A mysterious character in Hollow Knight, she uses a needle and thread in combat. You chase her a bit as she zips through some levels using her needle and thread as a sort of grappling hook.

Ajna & Razmi from Indivisible
tumblr_nvetg1QaVL1uzx2jzo1_1280.gif

I find Ajna to have a likeable design that is simple, practical but still good looking. She gives me a bit of the Princess Mononoke vibes.

tumblr_nvka75NP871uzx2jzo1_1280.gif

Razmi, the depressed introvert shaman with the tiger pelt. The sad looking tiger makes this for me. This her reluctance audio lines when you tell her to attack and such during combat is also great and comes together with the character a lot.

Maybe we should have one of these threads for male character designs. I wanna see some half naked buff dudes.

Not quite the same but try this!
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1384911

Top Bottom