• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your Joy-Con Repair Success Stories (or lack thereof)

Iced

I sit about 7 feet away from my Switch. My dock is on a bookshelf, a fair distance away from the wireless router and about 3 feet from the floor. I've been through many pairs of Joy-Cons trying to find a pair that doesn't start dropping signal when my legs are slightly blocking line of sight. I haven't been able to find a perfect pair yet. I've had some that are worse than others - some even seeming to pass the behind-the-back test - but every pair I've tried has a very weak signal. This is with both left and right Joy-Cons.

The way I am testing the Joy-Cons is by sitting on my couch and moving into various comfortable positions that I would naturally fall into. I open the button test in settings and spam the hell out of the buttons while moving my arms around. Typically I will start noticing missed button presses when I cross my legs or have my arms positioned to my sides and not on my lap. In both instances the line of sight would be broken I suppose, but traditional wireless controllers would have no issues.

I'm thinking there are three options:

1) I'ver had really bad luck buying Joy-Cons and all of them have suffered the "manufacturing variation" as described by Nintendo to some degree.

2) There haven't been any Joy-Cons released into the wild yet with the "manufacturing variation" addressed.

3) There is something wrong with my Switch console.

So I am looking to hear success stories from sending your Joy-Cons and/or Switch console in to Nintendo. Please be as detailed as possible with what problems you were experiencing, what you may have done to replicate the problem, and if Nintendo was able to fix it 100% for you.

I'm obviously hesitant to send away my Switch for what could be several weeks only to have them tell me there's no issue (perhaps this is just how Joy-Cons are?), so I'm hoping this thread might shed some light on the situation. I know others are in the same boat.

Thank you!

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Well

My Switch's left Joy-Con has connection issues, so I e-mailed Nintendo asking for a solution, and then I never heard back.

Sorry my story isn't very good.

ryushe

Sent two left Joy-cons in. Both came pack perfect with no more disconnects.

Edit:
Had really bad disconnect issues while playing MK8 with both my left joy-cons. Called Nintendo and had no issue with sending it in, as I assume they're aware of the issue. Got a prepackaged label, shipped my Con's out Tuesday and got them back Friday that same week. Easiest thing ever... Well, not easier than just having them work, but you know.

Iced

I suspect Arms is going to bring this problem to a head.

I agree. BOTW I could see people not noticing certain button presses going through. Arms (and Mario Kart, for that matter) have more immediate gameplay. I want to be ready for Arms, for sure. Right now I don't feel confident that my Joy-Cons are up to the task.

Leninpest

Had issues with it dropping my left joy con when I would shift my legs, so I sent it in last week, got it back this week, and now it works perfectly.

Alebrije

I sit about 7 feet away from my Switch. My dock is on a bookshelf, a fair distance away from the wireless router and about 3 feet from the floor. I've been through many pairs of Joy-Cons trying to find a pair that doesn't start dropping signal when my legs are slightly blocking line of sight. I haven't been able to find a perfect pair yet. I've had some that are worse than others - some even seeming to pass the behind-the-back test - but every pair I've tried has a very weak signal. This is with both left and right Joy-Cons.

The way I am testing the Joy-Cons is by sitting on my couch and moving into various comfortable positions that I would naturally fall into. I open the button test in settings and spam the hell out of the buttons while moving my arms around. Typically I will start noticing missed button presses when I cross my legs or have my arms positioned to my sides and not on my lap. In both instances the line of sight would be broken I suppose, but traditional wireless controllers would have no issues.

I'm thinking there are three options:

1) I'ver had really bad luck buying Joy-Cons and all of them have suffered the "manufacturing variation" as described by Nintendo to some degree.

2) There haven't been any Joy-Cons released into the wild yet with the "manufacturing variation" addressed.

3) There is something wrong with my Switch console.

So I am looking to hear success stories from sending your Joy-Cons and/or Switch console in to Nintendo. Please be as detailed as possible with what problems you were experiencing, what you may have done to replicate the problem, and if Nintendo was able to fix it 100% for you.

I'm obviously hesitant to send away my Switch for what could be several weeks only to have them tell me there's no issue (perhaps this is just how Joy-Cons are?), so I'm hoping this thread might shed some light on the situation. I know others are in the same boat.

Thank you!

How many joy cons have you tested? Did you buy all of them or just test one pair and if now works return it and ask for a new one ?

The Argus

How long does it take to get repaired? My launch left Joycon drops connection a lot. Now that I'm about done with Zelda guess it's time to send it in.

Does Nintendo provide shipping labels? Or is it all on me?

Iced

How many joy cons have you tested? Did you buy all of them or just test one pair and if now works return it and ask for a new one ?

Honestly, I would say about 10 pairs since launch. At first I was just getting a spare pair of neons, but eventually I would order multiple at a time to test them out just to save time. Some of those had rumble issues too, mostly in the right one (noticeably weak, some you could barely feel it), so I wasn't always returning them for sync issues. The pair I have right now is the best of the ones I tested, but still has a slightly weak rumble in the right Joy-Con and loses sync in the positions I mentioned in my first post.

I should mention these were all neon Joy-Cons.

schopaia

I've been through many pairs of Joy-Cons trying to find a pair that doesn't start dropping

First off - for sure stop buying them (until the issue is proven resolved). I sent my left one (from a 2 week post launch shipment) in yesterday and I'm getting it back tomorrow. You have to call their support line but it was, total, a less than 5 minute call.

Where are you buying them from that accepts 10 returns of the same item?

How long does it take to get repaired? My launch left Joycon drops connection a lot. Now that I'm about done with Zelda guess it's time to send it in.

I've heard 2-5 days, and it's free. Nintendo will cover it if you're under warranty still. Which y'should be.

schopaia

They pay for next day UPS shipping both ways.

Iced

First off - for sure stop buying them (until the issue is proven resolved). I sent my left one (from a 2 week post launch shipment) in yesterday and I'm getting it back tomorrow. You have to call their support line but it was, total, a less than 5 minute call.

Where are you buying them from that accepts 10 returns of the same item?

These were over the course of about two months and from numerous stores - Walmart, Best Buy, Amazon, etc. Really whoever had neon stock in.

The problem is, Nintendo said they have addressed the manufacturing variation, so it's hard to know when they will appear in store, or if it only solves the left Joy-Con issue that was most prevalent/obvious.

branny

I sent two of mine in a while back, and the experience was relatively painless.

Setting up a repair didn't work online, so I had to call them. They don't send you shipping materials or anything, but they do pay for shipping.

I had a disconnecting left joy-con and a right joy-con from a different set with a faulty A button. I think they totally replaced the latter instead of repairing it.

Anyway, both were fixed and in my hands again after several business days. 👍

Grimsen

Had one bad grey joycon. Sent it to Nintendo, and they fixed it.

I noticed that my blue left joycon was doing the same thing. So I sent it last Friday. Right now, it's on the way back. Should be here tomorrow.

Both times, the phone support was courteous and helpful.

Crayon

I broke my l button. Sent it to Nintendo and got the disconnect fix as well. It was back in a week with much improved signal. No charge. Great service.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
My left joycon has serious lag issues when I'm sitting on the wrong side of the couch, maybe four feet away from the Switch with the only thing obstructing it being the TV itself.

My right joycon has issues as well but I have to perposely obstruct it to make it happen.

At this point I'm probably gonna pick up the yellow joycons when Arms releases and sell the blue and red joycons I have now. Hopefully I'll be able to buy them again around Christmas once they've all been fixed.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I was going to send in mine but decided against it because I own the Neon variant and I heard that they have gotten rare and didn't want them to get lost or replaced with a grey one.

Plus the desync issue seemed to have vanished as I didn't have any problem when playing Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

butterbutt

Neo Member
I recently sent one left joycon for repair after calling customer support and they received, claim to have repaired, and shipped back the joycon in less than 48 hours. I'll have to see the results myself but it's been a smooth experience so far.

butterbutt

Neo Member

They e-mailed me a shipping label. Ships by UPS.

Not a repair but I had the issue with the left joycon dropping connection every so often. Initially GAME told me I would have to send it in to Nintendo. About a month later I went into the store and they just swapped it out for me, no questions asked (showed them the receipt obviously). People crap on GAME but this was an example of great customer service on their part.

I called Nintendo and described my issues. My switch in dock mode and my joycons not far away (7-10 feet away) a bad lag on Tetris. The rep said i could send my switch in for repair. I declined. The end.

Iced

I called Nintendo and described my issues. My switch in dock mode and my joycons not far away (7-10 feet away) a bad lag on Tetris. The rep said i could send my switch in for repair. I declined. The end.

So you're just gonna live with it, or do you have another plan?

So you're just gonna live with it, or do you have another plan?

He suggested to sit closer to my switch or turn off my wifi devices near by... I cannot be without my switch for 4-7 business days. It's my main system. So I am just dealing with it. Not sure what else to do. I have a pro controller so if I could mail the joycons by then selves I could still play Tetris. But that was a no go.

Iced

He suggested to sit closer to my switch or turn off my wifi devices near by... I cannot be without my switch for 4-7 business days. It's my main system. So I am just dealing with it. Not sure what else to do. I have a pro controller so if I could mail the joycons by then selves I could still play Tetris. But that was a no go.

I'm surprised they're insisting on having your system in. But, it lends credence to the idea that the system could be the culprit in a lot of cases.

elohel

Not a repair but I had the issue with the left joycon dropping connection every so often. Initially GAME told me I would have to send it in to Nintendo. About a month later I went into the store and they just swapped it out for me, no questions asked (showed them the receipt obviously). People crap on GAME but this was an example of great customer service on their part.

When the game would disconnect would you see the controller disconnect?

If I'm playing mario kart I'll notice sometimes I'll turn one direction but my kart will turn another :/ as if it's delaying the input.

I called them and they said to send it in and they would pay the shipping. It came back in one week and works perfectly now. Very pleased.

hardseppo

After 10 hours with the Switch (dock is still in the packaging), our right neon Joycon was dead, didn't register anymore, nothing.

I sent it in (no labels in Europe, you have to pay for shipping and Nintendo refunds it, if the return is warranted) and because my kids were so sad, I bought an additional set of Joycons at the beginning of this week.

Turns out, the right controller again can't be registered with the Switch. So it's the Switch, that is faulty. Sent it to them as well this Monday, hopefully it arrives in Germany @ Nintendo service today... I am not happy...

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Left joycon was absolute sheit.
Called nintendo.

Got an adress / free shipping.
Got a new one in 2 days.

Talk about good service.
Got a pro controller afterwards.

Not liking the joycons that much .

Iced

Called nintendo.

Got a new one in 2 days.

Talk about good service.

Thing is, I LOVE the Joy-Cons. Having one in each hand for BOTW felt so luxurious. That is, of course, until I would notice signal drops.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Left Joy-Con couldn't hold connection 1 meter from the Switch, would be lost entirely if just held behind my couch's arm-rest (couch is aligned vertically towards TV area).

Emailed Nintendo UK during the launch rush, I had a pro controller as well so it wasn't an immediate hassle. It took 2 weeks for a response, set up a repair request and got a shipping label within a day.

Sent the Joy-Con off for repair and got it back within a working week. The repaired one can retain connection to the Switch just fine now.

Called nintendo.

Got a new one in 2 days.

Talk about good service.

I'm jealous. My right joycon's analogue stick broke (it stopped clicking in) so I sent it in about 2 weeks ago. They received it 10 days ago and the status is just "repair held - awaiting parts." I called them to see if they could give me a more specific update and the guy said yeah, they're waiting for more parts to come in, but failing that they'll just send me a new one. No word on when that would actually be if they can't repair it or anything. It really kind of sucks.

I bought another pair while sending this one off so I could eventually have the alternating blue-red red-blue and play 4-player games, but the left joycon of my new pair has the connectivity issue. I was going to wait until my other broken joycon came back before sending it in because I heard so much about the quick turnover time and welp.

So uh, consider yourself one of the lucky ones. :/

Futureman

Everyone who says they sent theirs in got it back from Nintendo working perfectly. Might as well just bite the bullet and send them in.

laxu

Everyone who says they sent theirs in got it back from Nintendo working perfectly. Might as well just bite the bullet and send them in.

Yeah, it's still a hassle especially if you would like to play on the console. I expect it will take at least a week if not more in this part of the world.

The connection with the controllers is pretty miserable. The console is maybe 2m away right in front of me and I've had issues where just leaning back and putting my leg on top of another has caused connection issues. I haven't had this kind of shit with any other controller.

I really hope taking it in will fix this.

I ended up fixing mine myself with some foam and while it's helped, it's still not 100% like the right joycon.

The design of the antenna in the left joycon is flawed from the start and will never be as good as the right due to placement, even with some foam.

VAD

I sent my left joycon to Nintendo and got it back a week after. It doesn't desync anymore but the stick is creaking and I'm too lazy to send it back a second time.

XaosWolf

I bought some foam and did all mine myself.

Was curious about the innards anyways and even switched one of the rails out (took the one from my second pair of joycons that I keep in the grip) after a drop chipped the shitty locking plastic bit.

Hoping that once spare parts are made available that someone will make metal versions of said shitty locking bit.

Phamit

I called Nintendo because of my left Joy-Con, the support told me that it's likely that only the left Joy-Con is effected and that I don't need to send the Console if I don't want. Then he told me what to do. I send the Joy-Con to Nintendo and got it back within in a week.

no problem with the left Joy-Con since then.

I actually did this just yesterday after the ARMS Direct to make sure I was ready for the Testpunch. It's not difficult at all, as long as you have a tri-wing screwdriver and a tiny Philips head; just follow a good Youtube tutorial. I used a square of foam from my most recent graphics card packaging, popped it in there, closed the thing up and it worked perfectly. Holding the JoyCon behind my back, it took the range from approximately 5 or 6 feet to more like 15ish before I started getting sync issues, which is good enough for me.

I just recently sent in two left JoyCon. One came with my Switch, another was from an extra pair that I bought. As others have noted, they paid for shipping both ways and just ask you to pack things up yourself. Once they got the shipment in it only took one business day for them to fix things and ship it back to me!

All in all a great experience, but here are some tips for people who don't deal with this stuff very often. I'd say these methods apply to just about any company:

- Call customer service, don't email!!! It may seem easy to shoot off an email, but it's a guaranteed way to get a generic response. Talking to someone can potentially save you days of talking back and forth.

- Make sure you review the troubleshooting guide that they have on their website. Not only does this help you rule out simple issues, it's a guide for getting through your conversation faster. Customer service reps have to work within company guidelines, so saying that you've already followed them helps a ton.

--- Adding a side note because this point is literally my biggest pet peeve. I hate seeing people who ignore troubleshooting steps and then try to argue with customer service people. It's shitty for both parties so don't do it! Follow their rules and procedures and things will be painless.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I actually did this just yesterday after the ARMS Direct to make sure I was ready for the Testpunch. It's not difficult at all, as long as you have a tri-wing screwdriver and a tiny Philips head; just follow a good Youtube tutorial. I used a square of foam from my most recent graphics card packaging, popped it in there, closed the thing up and it worked perfectly. Holding the JoyCon behind my back, it took the range from approximately 5 or 6 feet to more like 15ish before I started getting sync issues, which is good enough for me.

I have a handful of Triwing screwdrivers and I'd love to try the fix myself but I don't have any foam. Phooey.

Amherst_Wind

Neo Member
Had terrible lag issues with the left joycon, bought another one but it was just as bad, returned that one to the store and sent my original back to Nintendo, just got it back today, it's very slightly better... I guess? It's still jumping around in the analog stick test setting so I feel like its not much of an improvement, really don't know what to do now, kind of giving up, the joycon are just terribly designed. I guess you just have to buy a pro controller.

When the game would disconnect would you see the controller disconnect?

If I'm playing mario kart I'll notice sometimes I'll turn one direction but my kart will turn another :/ as if it's delaying the input.

The controller would lose connection so, for instance, in Zelda, Link would keep running in the direction I was previously holding the stick, despite me having let go. Also, lag was noticeable depending on how I sat.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I sent my left joycon in for repair last week for desync issues.

Got it back this week and the stick on the joycon was busted. Its really loose, makes grinding noises and does not rotate smoothly when moved around the edges.

Now I have to send it back in again which is total bullshit. Thats 2 weeks Im without a joycon.

Top Bottom