• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your Joy-Con Repair Success Stories (or lack thereof)

Manac0r

Well

My Switch's left Joy-Con has connection issues, so I e-mailed Nintendo asking for a solution, and then I never heard back.

Sorry my story isn't very good.

Same thing happened to me, came to post my experience and first post nailed it.

Bluenoser

I was beyond impressed with Nintendo on this issue.

I had the desync issue with my left joycon, like many other people, and after exchanging it at the retailer once, and the problem persisting, I contacted Nintendo. He set up a repair ticket, sent me the info to ship it to them, and I did.

I had it back in about a week, good as new, with the problem resolved. I can't get it to desync now, even behind my back, with the switch 10-12 feet away.

Of course in the meantime, I had purchased a pro controller, so I'm not really able to take advantage of the now working joycon, but it's nice to know its fixed anyhow.

My only issue with this process is taking care of the shipping myself. I had to find a suitable sized box, come up with some padding to stop it from sliding around, and take it to the courier myself, on the other side of the city. I would have preferred them to send me a return box with label, where I could just pop the part in, call the courier, and have them come get it.

Amalthea

Banned
I found a piece of conductive foam in a container for broken electronics at work. Put it into my left joycon. Works perfect ever since.

zenspider

Caller Nintendo and sent left JC in. Took 5 days altogether. Repair form said they couldn't replicate the problem, but they did "something". Works perfect at 15 feet behind the back.

Edit: all for free

womp

I got my UPS label ready to go for mine but I have to grab some packing tape over the weekend. Call was less than 5 min and the dude at Nintendo was great. In the meantime I snagged a pre-owned left Joycon from the local GameStop to use while mine is off getting repaired. Since GameStop has a 7 day full refund for pre-owned accessories and games I'll take it back on day 7 and continue to play Zelda and MK 8 all the while.

I may just decide to keep it as an extra though because it is in immaculate condition and was only $35 after the pro discount. Unfortunately it too has that intermittent loss of signal when docked though so I'd probably send it back to Nintendo also.

In any case, just 'rent' one from GameStop while yours is getting repaired and keep playing. There is a 1 year warranty for these things, not sending it in would be silly, get it fixed guys!

npm0925

My left / blue JoyCon from the neon launch system would drop inputs and really perform poorly on the calibration screen compared to the right / red one. To the point that Mario Kart is unplayable without the cheat mode steering assist turned on (I noticed it's turned on by default, probably so Switch owners won't notice their fucking controller doesn't work correctly). So I sent it back to Nintendo on Saturday and received it back Wednesday. There's been no improvement whatsoever. Guess I'll have to call tomorrow and scream at the poor fucker on the other end of the line until I get a brand new Joycon out of it. That, or spend 70 fucking dollars on a "pro" controller.

I'm jealous. My right joycon's analogue stick broke (it stopped clicking in) so I sent it in about 2 weeks ago. They received it 10 days ago and the status is just "repair held - awaiting parts." I called them to see if they could give me a more specific update and the guy said yeah, they're waiting for more parts to come in, but failing that they'll just send me a new one. No word on when that would actually be if they can't repair it or anything. It really kind of sucks.

I bought another pair while sending this one off so I could eventually have the alternating blue-red red-blue and play 4-player games, but the left joycon of my new pair has the connectivity issue. I was going to wait until my other broken joycon came back before sending it in because I heard so much about the quick turnover time and welp.

So uh, consider yourself one of the lucky ones. :/

I gave them a call back to see if there was any kind of update I could get, and got a very long-winded non-answer, and said they can't simply replace it if the component order takes too long (though the last person I spoke to said that would be the case). They've had it since the 9th now. The guy started asking me what upcoming games I was planning to get, figuring I might be in for some - any - kind of compensation for having no joycon for longer than I've actually had the system but he literally just went on to sell me on buying more joycons and games to "fix" the issue in the meantime. Not pleased.

CoolS

Here is my story:

Sent in my JoyCons becaus emy left is acting up. Got a pretty fast turnaround, I was really happy, just in time for the ARMS Testpunch.

Connected my JoyCons.

The stick on my left JoyCon isn't working anymore.

ffs :(

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I really should get round to sending mine in. I'll do it after this weekend's ARMS test punch.

He suggested to sit closer to my switch or turn off my wifi devices near by... I cannot be without my switch for 4-7 business days. It's my main system. So I am just dealing with it. Not sure what else to do. I have a pro controller so if I could mail the joycons by then selves I could still play Tetris. But that was a no go.

You can't be without a console for a week? Honestly if something of mine that cost over £200 was faulty, I'd be sure as shit sending it back.

Mr. RPG

I just got my joycon back from Nintendo but they said they could not reproduce the issue.

How do I get this thing fixed? :( Nintendo won't do it.

Wolfbot

Neo Member
To anyone that fixed their joycon themselves with conductive foam, is that the black foam that comes with some pc parts or its a diferent thing?

I have a corsair psu that came with a black foam cover and thought i used it for the fix, but im not sure if its the same thing, and im not sure where i would find this foam where i live.

Mooseiah

Neo Member
Had a great experience. Support was very helpful and friendly and the whole process of setting up the repair for my left grey Joycon. I am in California and so was their repair facility which helped, but I setup the repair and shipped the controller out on Tuesday, and had it back in my hands working perfectly on Thursday. Hard to complain!

rhoq

Sent two left Joy-cons in. Both came pack perfect with no more disconnects.

Edit:
Had really bad disconnect issues while playing MK8 with both my left joy-cons. Called Nintendo and had no issue with sending it in, as I assume they're aware of the issue. Got a prepackaged label, shipped my Con's out Tuesday and got them back Friday that same week. Easiest thing ever... Well, not easier than just having them work, but you know.

I have the same exact story - including MK8 being the reason for sending my left Joy-Cons in. I also sent my Pro Controller in for repair because of the D-Pad issue. Until I packed up my Pro, I had no idea that I had the left Joy-Con issues because I had only ever used them in portable mode.

Sent the package with the 3 controllers (Pro, and 2 left Joy-Cons) on a Monday. The repair center received it on Wednesday. I originally told it would take 7 to 10 business days for the repair, but they repaired & shipped everything back then next day (Thursday) and I had them back in my hands on Friday.

Both left Joy-Cons now work as expected. The Pro controller D-Pad still has some accuracy issues (sometimes when I press "down", it still registers as "right"), but it's like 75% better than it was originally.

Definitely call Nintendo to set up a repair. They are very easy and pleasant to talk to.

I got a Switch on my birthday 3 days ago and have the left joycon problem. It stops working when putting something in front of it. Sometimes my own fingers are enough to interrupt the connection. The right joycon is usually fine, but i can make it also stop working, like when putting it behind my back for example.

Don't they use the same connection method as the PS4 and Xbox One controller?
They work even through walls, lol.

Iced

Called in today to set up my repair. One thing the operator mentioned that I found humourous is that Joycon signals are affected by water and "because the human body is made up of about 70% water, having a leg block line of sight could disrupt the signal".

Called in today to set up my repair. One thing the operator mentioned that I found humourous is that Joycon signals are affected by water and "because the human body is made up of about 70% water, having a leg block line of sight could disrupt the signal".

Think I heard about that on an old episode of bill nye. :p

ViolentP

My left Joy-Con had connectivity issues so I called and had it sent in.
Package was lost in transit.
10 days later, Nintendo sends me a new one.
1 day later, original arrives at Nintendo.
Next day, I have 2 working left Joy-Cons.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
I could deal with the left joycon dropping a bit with BOTW but ARMS has highlighted how essential that constant connection is.

Sent mine back to Nintendo yesterday. Hoping to get it back by Saturday.

RRockman

Banned
Did mine myself prior to the ARMS test because there's no way I was missing that! Both pairs now work perfectly. I used the foam techniques.

Salaadin

Called Nintendo on a Friday, dropped package off on Saturday but it didn't ship until Tuesday because of Memorial Day. Nintendo revived it on Thursday and overnighted me the replacement so I would have it on Friday. Total turnaround of 7 days only because of the holiday. I was pretty pleased.

Neoxon

My left Joy-Con's L button stopped working randomly, Nintendo sent me a replacement just in time for Week 2 of the ARMS Global Testpunch (via overnight shipping).

For reference, I found out about the malfunction the Wednesday night before Week 1 of the Testpunch.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I sent in two pairs last week and got them back this Monday, the connection is slightly better but still drops out whenever I hold them too close to my body or at a certain angle away from the console.

Hopefully the new yellow version will not have this problem, hard to believe they released a motion-focused controller with such a poor signal.

Kyuur

Called Nintendo on launch, they gave me Purolator instructions via email, sent my joycon off, got it back in a week or so fixed.

Iced

Oh fuck's sake. I just realized I left my Puyo Puyo Tetris cart in my Switch when I sent it out for repair today. Has anyone else left a game in by mistake? Any issue getting it back?

Iced

Apparently Nintendo sent my Switch with joycons out yesterday. Here's what the tracking info looks like:

dLc8ExB.png

When I click "verify entry/refine search" and enter additional info, nothing happens. Has this happened with anyone else's tracking number?

ViolentP

Apparently Nintendo sent my Switch with joycons out yesterday. Here's what the tracking info looks like:

dLc8ExB.png

When I click "verify entry/refine search" and enter additional info, nothing happens. Has this happened with anyone else's tracking number?

This is usually the state when the shipping label has been created but not scanned onto the first truck yet. Give it today before contacting them.

Deja

I got my left con fixed, and it seems better, but not perfect. Totally dealable, but sometimes it will drop when I obstruct it too much.

My experience with support though, was horrible. Guy on the phone was a bit of a prick, and it took 14 days to get them back to me. none of the tracking info they sent me was correct, so I had no idea where they were at any point in the process, expect for the day Nintendo had them.

Called and got a 2day label on Monday, sent it in, and had it overnighted back to me by Friday. Works great now. Very pleased.

Iced

This is usually the state when the shipping label has been created but not scanned onto the first truck yet. Give it today before contacting them.

That's what I was thinking too, but I'm still just paranoid about it due to its value. Thanks!

ViolentP

That's what I was thinking too, but I'm still just paranoid about it due to its value. Thanks!

Worst case, Nintendo will send you a replacement if it is lost. Bad news is it will take around 10 days for the investigation to complete. It's what happened to me and I ultimately ended up with 2 left joy-cons.

Iced

So, does Nintendo normally provide documentation for what exactly they did to resolve the issue? I got my Switch and Joycons (yes, I sent everything) back today to resolve the signal issue. All I received in the box is a "PICK SLIP" which doesn't really tell me anything. On the repair order status page for my repair, it says "Buttons are Not Responding on a Joy-Con, or are Responding Incorrectly on a Joy-Con / 4511" under repair details, but that just seems like the description I gave them. It doesn't seem like they did anything. And the problem hasn't been fixed. Just seems like I was without my Switch for over a week for nothing.

giapel

I've attempted to fix mine with the conductive foam. While it now passes the behind the back test, I still get the occasional desync if I sit too comfy and my legs obstruct the console. its good enough though...

ViolentP

So, does Nintendo normally provide documentation for what exactly they did to resolve the issue? I got my Switch and Joycons (yes, I sent everything) back today to resolve the signal issue. All I received in the box is a "PICK SLIP" which doesn't really tell me anything. On the repair order status page for my repair, it says "Buttons are Not Responding on a Joy-Con, or are Responding Incorrectly on a Joy-Con / 4511" under repair details, but that just seems like the description I gave them. It doesn't seem like they did anything. And the problem hasn't been fixed. Just seems like I was without my Switch for over a week for nothing.

The replacement they sent only had a pack slip. The one that was repaired did come with documentation stating what occurred with the repair. In my case, they said they couldn't replicate the problem so they replaced/repaired based on similar issues.

I've attempted to fix mine with the conductive foam. While it now passes the behind the back test, I still get the occasional desync if I sit too comfy and my legs obstruct the console. its good enough though...

similar results here, it helped with the random drops but it's still not as good as the right hand side joycon which is perfect.

Bdub

The kids were complaining about the blue joy con not being very responsive during Mario Kart. I called Nintendo, they emailed a label. I sent out the joy con, and got a fixed or new one in about 2 weeks.

CRA5H

Took 12 days for me to get it back from the moment I shipped it out. Good news is that they work perfectly fine now.

1. I called Nintendo and the guy was very polite and a native English speaker which was nice.
  2. He sent me a label for ground shipping to send the Joycon in.
  3. I put a note in the package that was kind of like "Hey I'm really sad this thing doesn't work, please fix it quickly, my brand new Switch is worthless without it." I felt kind of slimy doing it but...
  4. The received my Joycon, fixed it that day, and shipped it back to me for delivery by 10:30 the very next day.

I sent it in on a Thursday. I had it back the next Tuesday morning. Seems to work fine now.

In Canada the turnaround is almost 2 weeks, at least for us who live on the east coast since we need to ship it to freaking Vancouver.
However, my JoyCon came back working great.

Briarios

Mine was one of the messed up left ones, I bought it last month. I called support, they were very pleasant. I was provided a shipping label for UPS ground, but they repaired it within a day of receiving it and shipped it back overnight.

I also got the letter that said we didn't find anything wrong, so we went ahead and repaired it for you.

Hey, Nintendo is gonna Nintendo; they'll fix it, but they aren't going to put in writing they were responsible. It was a pretty smooth process, took about a week total. Joycon works perfect now.

Top Bottom