• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your predictions for The Big Three at the end of The Next Generation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
TV has nothing to do with the gaming division. All third party will continue to remain multi plat next gen which is interesting since Sony has an insane no of First party studios to continue making more exclusive content unlike MS. I myself think Sony will go out. I was responding to the post by someone about how no one here is respecting MS.
what I am saying is Sony the company will become smaller and go back to making only tvs. The way Sony is managing their 1st party does not fill me with hope.

jeremy1456

Woof, the Sony is doomed stuff in here is depressing. Especially when Sony is the only one that will end their current console with strong support (Last of Us, Beyond, GOW:A, and more) and begin the next with strong first party support.

Through number of titles you are right.

Unfortunately, Halo 4 can be seen as bigger support than all of those titles, combined, perhaps x2.

Exclusive content of Sony vs Microsoft is vastly overrated on GAF. I mean, most Sony exclusives are non-factors for consumers. For instance, when you take the top 3 exclusive IPs for each company this gen, the differences are minimal. Does anyone expect a huge difference next gen?

We know Bungies internal docs leak their next game won't be on Sony's platform. Is there a bigger new IP than that?
the bungie game will be on ps3, bungie was hiring for ps3 devs. also exclusives matter in the start of a gen.if sony can get GT near launh that is a big boost worldwide for them.

Watchdogs. But that's probably going to be on everything, even the WiiU.

You might be right, but personally, I think Bungie's next game will have mega hype we beyond watchdogs. The Bungie name is gold.

EDIT -

the bungie game will be on ps3, bungie was hiring for ps3 devs. also exclusives matter in the start of a gen.if sony can get GT near launh that is a big boost worldwide for them.

My understanding according to the internal doc leak, when Bungie left, MS negotiated exclusive console rights to their next IP for the first game (sequels are a different story). The release schedule was very, very clear.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Nintendo - Profitable but nowhere near wii like success 1/2 in Japan 2-3 in NA.

Sony - Too broke to make the same mark as this generation or last. Last place in NA/Europe but barely, 1/2 in Japan.

Microsoft - Making more money but less well thought of than now. #1 outside of Japan, basically nonexistent in Japan.

Basically all worse off than today.

Kusagari

1. Microsoft
2. Nintendo
3. Sony

I think MS will easily win North America, continue to make inroads in mainland Europe and, of course, be worthless in Japan.

Sony will easily be last place in North America, struggle in Japan and start to lose grip on their European stronghold.

Nintendo will be a comfortable second place in America, barely win Europe and win Japan.

Regional Rankings:

North America:
1. Microsoft
2. Nintendo
3. Sony

Europe:
1. Nintendo
2. Sony
3. Microsoft

Japan:
1. Nintendo
2. Sony
3. Microsoft

Microsoft will still win in the end because of the huge lead they contain in North America. Europe will be relatively close between all three consoles and Japan won't matter enough sales wise to put Nintendo over MS.

big_z

wasn´t kinect their big-seller?

it gave the system a boost in sales for a while but is now being discounted. much like the wii people clued in on the fact the hardware cant deliver on it's promises. putting too much focus on something that has burned consumers in the past is a bad idea.

fallingdove

Really interesting comments. The way things are going it will likely end up

1 ms
2 Nintendo
3 Sony

But in a perfect world, id hope it ends up

1 Nintendo
2 Sony
3 ms

I'd like Nintendo to see that by focusing on delivering a more powerful console and by really investing in 3rd parties that they can capture the casual as well as the hardcore.

I'd like Sony to be somewhat rewarded for their many efforts in delivering great games over the last generation. I want them to improve their financial situation but I want them to feel threatened, compelling them to remain competitive; continuing to release great games.

I would like to see ms in third place. I think they need a wake up call. Halo hasn't been relevant in years and the kinect was a magnificent failure in trying to tie a casual device to the hardcore community - yet ms has been able to rely on their incredible marketing to drive continued success. I'd like to see new ips, investment in first party studios and dedicated servers for xbox live. Maybe 3rd place would motivate some of that.

jeremy1456

I think it will be as follows:

1. Nintendo

Nintendo has the most popular franchises. Worst case scenario they are a close second worldwide.

2. Microsoft

The only one left with any momentum a the end of this gen. Unfortunately I see kinect being a focus, and I think like the Wii it will lose steam. They can still sell their exclusives and even third party games much better than Sony.

3. Sony

I think this will be the very last Playstation branded device. They don't have the power hitting franchises the others do, and I think exclusives will be the only thing success is based on.

Himself

Everyone that is writing out a list: what the fuck are you talking about? Financially? Creatively? Influentially? These lists don't make much sense.

It's sad how much video game fans have internalized the console wars as if sales numbers resonate more personally than quality games.

If Sony Computer Entertainment merged with Nintendo, the whole universe would explode by how awesome that would be. No console could surpass it, not even if Valve released their speculated "steambox". Jak, Mario, Ratchet, Zelda, Sly, and Metroid all on one platform. *jizzes*

jeremy1456

If Sony Computer Entertainment merged with Nintendo, the whole universe would explode by how awesome that would be. No console could surpass it, not even if Valve released their speculated "steambox". Jak, Mario, Ratchet, Zelda, Sly, and Metroid all on one platform. *jizzes*

None of the franchises you listed on the Sony side have even half the draw as Nintendo's.

Sony would be the barely profitable cyst.

Raoh

One question is, will microsoft throw money around like they did this gen?

Extended Warranty
Yearly Console refreshes
50 million dollar checks for games
Timed dlc/releases
500 million dollar marketing for kinect
Etc

I expect their first year to be huge, they will throw a big time square/g4tv/kotaku party

Can MS be a contender without spending money or will they continue to throw money to stay in the game.

Can Halo and Gears continue carry MS?
Will CoD still be the default third party shooter and be better on next xbox?
Will Shooters continue to be the thing next gen?

Will MS gain the arrogance that sony is known for?

meta4

Really interesting comments. The way things are going it will likely end up

1 ms
2 Nintendo
3 Sony

But in a perfect world, id hope it ends up

1 Nintendo
2 Sony
3 ms

I'd like Nintendo to see that by focusing on delivering a more powerful console and by really investing in 3rd parties that they can capture the casual as well as the hardcore.

I'd like Sony to be somewhat rewarded for their many efforts in delivering great games over the last generation. I want them to improve their financial situation but I want them to feel threatened, compelling them to remain competitive; continuing to release great games.

I would like to see ms in third place. I think they need a wake up call. Halo hasn't been relevant in years and the kinect was a magnificent failure in trying to tie a casual device to the hardcore community - yet ms has been able to rely on their incredible marketing to drive continued success. I'd like to see new ips, investment in first party studios and dedicated servers for xbox live. Maybe 3rd place would motivate some of that.

Yeah. I would not like to see MS anywhere in the first position as well. Obviously this is because of personal reasons. I just dont like any of their IP's ,Kinect and their business model. While I did not like how Nintendo supported Wii this gen and have very little hope for their next console they do make some really charming games and once in a while when everything clicks their games can be pure magic. Sony IMO had the best console this gen and I loved some of their more eclectic titles as well as their blockbuster type games and they continue to invest in albeit wierd eclectic IP's.

So personally I hope its Sony and Nintendo in first or second positions. Doubt if it will happen though. Esp Sony....

Gaborn

Everyone that is writing out a list: what the fuck are you talking about? Financially? Creatively? Influentially? These lists don't make much sense.

It's sad how much video game fans have internalized the console wars as if sales numbers resonate more personally than quality games.

Sales do matter though because sales ultimately mean the quality games people also want have a better chance of existing. People don't like to hear it, but casual gamers are absolutely essential to the gaming industry because there are a HUGE number of them, they're the REASON the Wii won this time, they're why the PS2 was the phenom it was and they're the reason the Playstation brand was successful to start with. So sales matter.

And ultimately quality does also matter - because that's red meat for core gamers. And there is nothing wrong with that too. Film buffs love arty often pretentious films about somewhat inane topics there isn't necessarily a mass market for - but Hollywood wouldn't be sustainable without the big budget mindless blockbusters that are like mental candy.

Syriel

Sony will release the PlayStation 4 with proprietary media of some sort.

You know it's gonna happen. Sony has an inability to use open standards across the board.

meta4

GT,Uncharted and GOW.

Yup. Uncharted and GOW sold more than the recent Zelda. I think outside of Mario branded stuff Nintendo's core exclusives sell just about the same as PS exclusives right? But Mario is soooo huge that it dwarfs everything else especially since Mario's name is slapped into so many of their IP's.

GT sales have declined with each new mainstream version and sales of game in Japan are down 50% compared to the other main games in the series. GT mostly sells to just Europe now. The series doesn't have the worldwide appeal it once did. It would be a huge boost for Europe though.

Kusagari

Yup. Uncharted and GOW sold more than the recent Zelda. I think outside of Mario branded stuff Nintendo's core exclusives sell just about the same as PS exclusives right? But Mario is soooo huge that it dwarfs everything else especially since Mario's name is slapped into so many of their IP's.

Pokemon

Raoh

Sony will release the PlayStation 4 with proprietary media of some sort.

You know it's gonna happen. Sony has an inability to use open standards across the board.

Does it matter? The 360 has proprietary media and it didn't hurt them. Even their headset jack is not standard. I can't use my iphone/android/etc headset, it has to be the 1.8 not the 2.5 size everything else is.

Chargeable? that's extra.

Hell they had a pay wall and it was considered worth it even thought the pc community told ms to screw themselves.

Sony would be dead if it released the 360 as their own hardware based on how people hate proprietary and non standards.

jeremy1456

Are we forgetting smash bros.? Kirby? Animal Crossing? Wii branded games?

Didn't uncharted sell on the worldwide of the c tier stuff (in popularity) like Donkey Kong Returns, or Metroid Prime?

Himself

Sales do matter though because sales ultimately mean the quality games people also want have a better chance of existing. People don't like to hear it, but casual gamers are absolutely essential to the gaming industry because there are a HUGE number of them, they're the REASON the Wii won this time, they're why the PS2 was the phenom it was and they're the reason the Playstation brand was successful to start with. So sales matter.

And ultimately quality does also matter - because that's red meat for core gamers. And there is nothing wrong with that too. Film buffs love arty often pretentious films about somewhat inane topics there isn't necessarily a mass market for - but Hollywood wouldn't be sustainable without the big budget mindless blockbusters that are like mental candy.

If you're saying that Gears of War exists so we can get Fez or Killzone exists so we can have Journey or NSMB exists so we can get Sin & Punishment, I get what you're saying. Of course sales matters, but people seem to use sales figures to validate their opinions and that pisses me off. But again when people say "company X will continue it's shit slide to hell" or whatever, they should specify whether they mean financially or creatively or whatever because some people's assessments don't really make sense unless they specify this issue.

There's room in every medium for artsy fartsy experiments and big dumb explosion fests and thank goodness for that.

If you're saying that Gears of War exists so we can get Fez or Killzone exists so we can have Journey or NSMB exists so we can get Sin & Punishment, I get what you're saying. Of course sales matters, but people seem to use sales figures to validate their opinions and that pisses me off. But again when people say "company X will continue it's shit slide to hell" or whatever, they should specify whether they mean financially or creatively or whatever because some people's assessments don't really make sense unless they specify this issue.

There's room in every medium for artsy fartsy experiments and big dumb explosion fests and thank goodness for that.

Is anyone saying this is not true?

Who exactly are you arguing with?

Skytylz

Banned
GT,Uncharted and GOW.

With casuals, these don't touch Mario or Zelda either. I have several friends, with PS3s, that I wouldn't call "hard core" gamers and only one of them has played any of those and that was Uncharted. I'm only talking about recent GT games as well, they may have played some of the older GT games but I haven't exactly probed them about it!

Kirby and Animal Crossing sold less than GT, UC and GOW.

Forgot about Smash though. You are right!

I shouldn't go here, but...

Sony's exclusive are really nice, but Wii Fit and Wii Resort are god-tier new console IPs Nintendo created this gen.

Regardless, I don't think this exchange is too relevant to the topic.

meta4

With casuals, these don't touch Mario or Zelda either. I have several friends, with PS3s, that I wouldn't call "hard core" gamers and only one of them has played any of those and that was Uncharted. I'm only talking about recent GT games as well, they may have played some of the older GT games but I haven't exactly probed them about it!

Your friends however cannot be a benchmark of what IP is popular. GT, UC sold more than Zelda SS

Shaffield

Sony drops out of handhelds very soon and focuses on smartphone gaming, while the 3DS and Nintendo's next handheld are massive successes.

The WiiU will sell well and stuff with Mario etc. Sony might fuck up because their box might be too expensive and it will cost too much to develop for. MS will sell the Xbox 3 to douches who want CoD, thus succeeding in NA.

I plan on ignoring all the home consoles besides WiiU, or at least waiting til the end of the gen to look back and see if I missed anything worthwhile. I've been disinterested in most current home console games for a while anyways, and I doubt the super sterilized, riskfree, ultrabudget games on the MS and Sony boxes are going to change that.

Kusagari

Handheld sales and not home consoles right?

Ahh, I thought we were just naming franchises in general.

Smash Bros, named already, and Wii Sports/Fit should be named. I'm unsure of Animal Crossing. The DS one did over 10 million, but the Wii one only did 3.3 million.

Also DKCR was at 5 million by March of last year.

Skytylz

Banned
Your friends however cannot be a benchmark of what IP is popular. GT, UC sold more than Zelda SS

I know it's anecdotal, but what about Twilight Princess? I'm guessing it sold pretty well and I feel like Skyward Sword came out after everyone had lost interest in the system anyways. Also, worldwide, I'm guessing Skyward sold about as many or more than UC.

Gaborn

It's been that way ever since the numbers have been released publicly which means... forever. Gamers are naturally competitive so it's natural that we like to see particular consoles "win" in terms of sales, mindshare, or by whatever metric. I think realistically though it also helps give context to what people want a company to do, that is, people that think from a sales and business perspective understand and are able to give context to things like Kinect or Nintendo's strategy with the Wii going away more sharply from core gamers as a major focus of their titles. These are moves that the companies are making because they believe they strengthen their position (something that seems to be obviously true in their results) and thus should be viewed positively.

I think getting upset by fan rhetoric that cheers companies for successful moves is frankly silly, just as its silly to be overly invested in the success or failure of an individual company rather than the industry as a whole. It's not that I don't have individual preferences for which companies philosophy I like and which I don't, but ultimately a healthy industry helps everyone and so to a large extent we are benefitted when everyone is making money.

1. Nintendo
2. Microsoft
3. Sony

I really think near the end we'll have a few years of a Nintendo and Microsoft rivalry on the level of Sega vs. Nintendo back in the day. I don't think Sony will make it through all of next-gen and I truly believe PS4 will be their last console.

At the very least, I know the Vita will be their last handheld. The thing's really on it's last leg and once the Triforce of Monster Hunter 4, the next Dragon Quest, and Pokemon Gen 6 hits 3DS, it'll be over for Sony in the handheld space worldwide.

I also think people are really underestimating the power of Wii U. PS2 was the weakest technically of its era but went on the become one of the most successful consoles of all time. The first year of Wii U is really what is going to shape next gen. If the third-parties investing early support do well, I think a lot of the late current-gen third party stuff currently in development (Bioshock Infinite, GTA V, MGS: Ground Zeroes, MGS Rising, Lightning Returns, Star Wars 1313 and Watchdogs) will make its way to Wii U. None of those games are UE4 and if developers see they can continue making money and innovating on tech that's cheaper, they will for as long as possible.

Microsoft will become the go-to "tech-powerhouse" console and get the most support from Epic and the guys working on UE4.

Like I said, a repeat of the Nintendo vs. Sega days: a weaker console with more early support (Wii U) vs. a beefier console with strong third-party ties (Durango).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom