• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your Top 3 Games of the Gen?

pramath

Banned
Edit: I'm lazy, but if you want to put explanations next to each of your choices have at it.

1. Dark Souls
2. Mario Galaxy 2
3. Bayonetta

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
1) Mario Galaxy 2 - the second best game ever made

2) Xenoblade - game is flawless

3) Skyward Sword. Fuck the haters, I have very minor complaints about this game. I loved everything about it, yes, even the eel note thing

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Will read everyones list when this thread reaches 10 pages.

MYE

1. Super Mario Galaxy
super-mario-galaxy-images-20071012105815852_640w.jpg

2. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
xlarge_2b46dc1c1b65740dd511863da06406f2.jpg

3. Demons Souls
DemonsSouls_2.jpg

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm rather fickle when it comes to lists, so a Top Three from the top of my head:

1) Portal 2
Intrepidly exploring the expanded world of Aperture Science supplanted the puzzles as the core element of the game, as ironic as that may sound. From the moment I awoke in the Relaxation Vault Long-Term Relaxation Chamber, I found myself captivated by the world like no game before it. My mind wasn't on the puzzles. I didn't care that the previous room took me all of two minutes to complete. "What do I do?" was never at the forefront of my mind; instead, I inquired about the environment that enveloped me: "What's happened to the facility?" "Where's GLaDOS?" "Why
is there a relatively ancient facility a million miles underground
?" "What became of
Cave Johnson and Caroline
?" Portal 2 was no longer a first-person puzzler - it was a first-person adventure with a heavy dose of mystery. I wasn't an unlucky "test subject" attempting to escape; I was a detective attempting to piece together a 15-acre enigmatic character arc.

Is Portal 2 the best game I've ever played? No - Super Metroid still occupies that throne. Did it provide the best experience I've ever had with a video game, however? Absolutely. I wish I could accurately describe the inordinate feeling of serenity that washed over me when Cara Mia marked the end of my journey. Almost a year later and it's still ineffable.

2) The Orange Box (this is cheating, I know :p)
Specifically, Portal and Episode Two. The former was a lovely surprise, a seemingly one-dimensional first-person puzzler that gradually unravels at the seams, lowering the curtain on something... shall we say, unexpected, and Episode Two is without doubt the finest FPS thus far this generation; a several-hour, meticulously-crafted thrill ride that never lets up and ends with an almost heart-wrenching cliffhanger (where art tho, Half-Life 3?).

3) Machinarium
I've said it before and I'll say it again: this is the finest point-and-click adventure title since the classic Lucas Arts ended. A rather fiendish if short puzzle game in which you help a down-on-his-luck robot rescue his robot girlfriend, with this lovingly simple narrative sung to the backdrop of an awe-inspiring hand-drawn world complimented by a terrific ambient soundtrack.

The first one is constant, the second two change on a daily basis.

TGnmL.jpg
xlD3l.jpg
Z4TFp.jpg

Minecraft

The most immersive experience I have had in over two decades of gaming. One of the greatest survival horror games ever made, with extraordinary freedom given to the player to tame the hostile, dark and endless world. The screenshot is from my own save file, complete with glass palace under the sea, glowing beacons of floating lava, and bridges that span continents. Every block was earned in the endless catacombs beneath the planet, fighting off the monsters within.

Super Mario Galaxy 1/2

An explosion of beautifully-realised imagination, colour and music, matched with the most precise and considered controls in the industry. The level design is so far ahead of other platformers, its obscene. A relaxing joy to play, a diabolically-difficult game to complete fully. The moment I completed the final, final challenge, I felt like a gaming God.

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow.

Fantastic 2D exploration with some very unique powers, wonderful art, forboding music, tremendous bosses, and a massive amount of secrets. A brilliant successor to the legendary Symphony of the Night.

Danny 117

1. MGS4- a combination of great responsive gameplay, an amazing soundtrack and impressive graphics for its time make it one of my games of the generation. Yes, there were many flaws but they were easy to look past when you take the overall package into account. (MGO <3)

2. Fallout 3- Great story and a great combat and levelling system makes this one of my faves. Loved the post apocalyptic setting with the jazzy music and the chilling atmosphere. It really did feel like the aftermath of a nuclear catastrophe. Yes F:NV did most things better but this game came first so it gets the nod over its successor.

3. Vanquish- Finally a TPS not called Gears done right. Fast paced action with a forgettable story but great graphics and mechanics make this one of my faves. My first platinum game and has me eager to see what they can do with MGR and their other future releases. I'm also curious to try out Bayonetta.

NJShadow

1. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune

Amazing music, absolutely gorgeous visuals, and a terrific story. The best game this gen had to offer, IMO.

2. Burnout Paradise

I sunk hours and hours and hours into this game. Great visuals, constant, mostly free DLC, and a fun-factor that jumps off the scale. Way too good.

3. Metal Gear Solid 4

The culmination of all things Metal Gear. Touching, deep storyline, great visuals, and gameplay that is just downright satisfying.

(These are all VERY brief descriptions, mind you.)

Dark Souls, Mario Galaxy 2 and GTA IV are the three obvious choices for me.

In reality, I could do a top 15/20 which would be extremely close for a lot of games, though.

Arkam

1) Mario Galaxy 2
2) Mass Effect 2
3) CoD 4: MW

All three were amazing and destined to be long time classics.

Hoo-doo

Banned
1. Uncharted 2
2. Dark Souls
3. Probably Call of Duty 4, as much as I hate the franchise right now.

But I thought list threads were outlawed?

Shahed

Deus Ex Human Revolution
Xenoblade
Uncharted 2

Mass Effect 2 really should be there, but after the way 3 ended, it's hard to look back at it in such a positive light

Fracas

#fuckonami
1. Fallout 3- One of the few games I put hundreds of hours in

2. Halo 3- My favorite shooter of all time. Everything just clicked for me

3. Assassin's Creed II- Completely fixed my opinion of the franchise. A fantastic game.

Honorable Mention:

Heavy Rain
Fallout: New Vegas
Uncharted 2

i-Lo

1. Dark Souls
2. Fallout 3
3. Mass Effect 2 (with Kasumi DLC)

Honestly, there are so many more for me. And the top 3 are in no order. Some other worthy mentions that I have to state here:

• Uncharted franchise
  • Mass Effect 1
  • Fallout NV
  • Portal 2
  • GT5
  • Deus Ex: HR

1 - Xenoblade Chronicles
2 - Tales of Vesperia
3 - Red Dead Redemption

I'm a huge Zelda fan but Twilight Princess had an immensely slow start and I didn't like Skyward Sword's graphical style too much or the lack of a good overworld.

A lot of people are on the fence about handhelds in the same Generation as consoles. But I feel The World Ends With You definitely deserves a mention.

Risgroo

Hard to pick only 3, should be top 5 or 10 :p

1: Fallout 3
2: Zelda: Skyward Sword
3: Mass Effect 2

This changes all the time tho

mr_chun

Tough to narrow it down. Gonna do handheld and console/pc separately.

1) Portal 2 - Perfection in story-telling and gameplay. Loved every minute of it.
2) Uncharted: Drake's Fortune - I actually preferred this one to the two sequels- I like the isolation of being in one place the whole time.
3) Super Mario Galaxy - The best Mario game since SM64. Easy top five.
HM) Resistance 3 - My favorite FPS campaign this generation. Really well done.

1) Animal Crossing: Wild World - Played it daily for three years. You don't do that with games that suck.
2) Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin - Dawn of Sorrow is probably the more popular choice, but I liked the allusions to Bloodlines, my first Vania game, in this one.
3) Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII - Prequel done right. Loved it.
HM) Kirby Canvas Curse, Pokemon Diamond/Pearl - The best showcase of the stylus on the DS, and my second favorite generation of Pokemon.

EDIT: Wow, I was definitely in the console mindset when I wrote this and completely forgot Minecraft, which is my favorite game of all time lol. Seems like it's been around longer than it has. The endless possibilities and great communities have made it the game that I come back to again and again and never grow weary of.

King Boo

super mario galaxy 1 (or 2. I like them both equally)
the last remnant
starcraft 2

runner ups
oblivion
kirby return to dreamland
prototype 1
heroes of might and magic 6
mario and luigi inside story
oh and i forgot...dark souls

Top Bottom