• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"You're a WHAT!?" Nier Gestalt|Replicant |OT|

Anilusion

I got a some questions regarding words. For example, how does the Besal word work? It says "Weapons/Magic: Level 5", does this mean that if I equip the word, the weapon acts as if it is upgraded to level 5?

And words that are +xp or +item drop, do they only work when you kill an enemy using the weapon or magic with the words equipped, or are they global?

Anilusion said:
I got a some questions regarding words. For example, how does the Besal word work? It says "Weapons/Magic: Level 5", does this mean that if I equip the word, the weapon acts as if it is upgraded to level 5?
Those are used in conjunction with the Add Poison/Add Paralysis words to strengthen those buffs.

Anilusion said:
And words that are +xp or +item drop, do they only work when you kill an enemy using the weapon or magic with the words equipped, or are they global?
I am pretty sure it's only for kills made with the weapon or magic it's equipped to, although I'm not 100% on this.

Jaroof

Okay.. my brother has a problem on this game.

He had started playing this game like two weeks ago, and recently got near the ending.
A few days ago, I bought a new HDD for my PS3, so I backed up everything and put it on my new HDD.
Everything seemed to be working fine, until my brother started up the game and started playing it for a while.. The game itself worked fine, but when he got to a save point, it came up with a message saying something like "Game cannot be saved. You are using a save file from a different user."

He was on the same user he had been using.. only, when you restore profiles from the backup file, it puts a little * before your profile name.. for example: *Jaroof4500.
Is there any way to fix this? I really want him to be able to play through the alternate endings, and he really doesn't wanna play straight through.. I don't blame him. It's pretty long.

Also, he doesn't remember his PSN password. Does being on the PSN have anything to do with it?

So I just went on a JRPG sale bender on amazon.

Grabbed Valkyria Chronicles for 25, Resonance of Fate for 25, and Nier for 9 bucks. Anything I should know before getting into Nier so I can make sure to get my 9 dollars worth?

Famassu

Snapshot King said:
So I just went on a JRPG sale bender on amazon.

Grabbed Valkyria Chronicles for 25, Resonance of Fate for 25, and Nier for 9 bucks. Anything I should know before getting into Nier so I can make sure to get my 9 dollars worth?
Make sure you fish in the right place (there's a map, take advantage of it) and unless you're a Trophy/Achievement whore, don't bother with the hard difficulty level (it just makes bosses have a ridiculous amount of HP) or with most side quests. There are some sidequests worth doing simply because of the small stories they have (Popola & Devola singing together, the lighthouse lady etc.), but a lot of them aren't that fun.

Also, play the game (or part 2) through at least twice and DON'T skip the cutscenes on the second playthrough. There are a lot of added stuff that will make you appreciate the story more + Ending B extends the.. ending. If after that you can't bother to go for Ending C & D, you can just watch those from Youtube. Though, it really doesn't take that long to boss rush from the beginning of Part 2 (where all the subsequent playthroughs/New Game+ starts) to the ending of the game, so it's not that big of a job, other than having to collect all the weapons.

DJ_Lae

Snapshot King said:
Anything I should know before getting into Nier so I can make sure to get my 9 dollars worth?

Skip sidequests whenever you feel like they may require grinding (a lot will, or they're courier missions), play the game on easy. No achievement requires higher difficulty and all it does it make fights take longer, and the bosses can take a while to defeat as it is.

Jaroof

Jaroof said:
Okay.. my brother has a problem on this game.

He had started playing this game like two weeks ago, and recently got near the ending.
A few days ago, I bought a new HDD for my PS3, so I backed up everything and put it on my new HDD.
Everything seemed to be working fine, until my brother started up the game and started playing it for a while.. The game itself worked fine, but when he got to a save point, it came up with a message saying something like "Game cannot be saved. You are using a save file from a different user."

He was on the same user he had been using.. only, when you restore profiles from the backup file, it puts a little * before your profile name.. for example: *Jaroof4500.
Is there any way to fix this? I really want him to be able to play through the alternate endings, and he really doesn't wanna play straight through.. I don't blame him. It's pretty long.

Also, he doesn't remember his PSN password. Does being on the PSN have anything to do with it?

Anybody ever have this problem? I don't know where else to look for a solution to this..

Number45

DJ_Lae said:
Skip sidequests whenever you feel like they may require grinding (a lot will, or they're courier missions), play the game on easy. No achievement requires higher difficulty and all it does it make fights take longer, and the bosses can take a while to defeat as it is.
Wish I'd have known this before starting, but that said I'm not having any real difficulties at the moment. Not sure I'll have the motivation to play through it more than once, maybe I'll YT the other scenarios if that's feasible.

Also, am I the only one that thinks Weiss sounds like Pierce Brosnan would have sounded if he'd have been given the role of Snape in Harry Potter?

Famassu

Number45 said:
Wish I'd have known this before starting, but that said I'm not having any real difficulties at the moment. Not sure I'll have the motivation to play through it more than once, maybe I'll YT the other scenarios if that's feasible.
The repeated playthroughs aren't that long and there are all kinds of new cutscenes & dialogue which would probably be hard to catch in Youtube vids unless there was some complete walkthroughs there. So watching it on Youtube isn't feasible. You should definitely play the game through at least twice, ending C & D can be watched from Youtube but the second playthrough is almost like a completely new experience. Like I said, it starts from the beginning of Part 2 on subsequent playthroughs and getting from the beginning of part 2 to the ending doesn't take that long if you just run through it without exploring much.

Number45

Thanks, I'll keep it in mind. When I start a second run, do I have the option of changing the difficulty? Again not that I'm having major problems, but if it will help speed things up it's always appreciated considering the very limited time I have to game. :)

Famassu

Number45 said:
Thanks, I'll keep it in mind. When I start a second run, do I have the option of changing the difficulty? Again not that I'm having major problems, but if it will help speed things up it's always appreciated considering the very limited time I have to game. :)
You could change the difficulty level right now if you wanted to, no need to wait for any point in the game or new game+ or anything.

Number45

Weird, I can't find an option to change the difficulty mid-game. It mentions the difficulty on the options page, but there doesn't seem to be a way to change it. :/

I'm really enjoying this (although I've just realised I'm employing WoW levelling logic, trying to gather quests and complete as many as possible in an area at a time) at the moment, although I think I'm fairly early in (just finished the
Broken Temple in Facade
). I'm identifying quite a few flaws as I play, but if I'm honest they're all very far from game breaking - really just little nit-picks like the map not being descriptive enough (would be nice if it told you where exits lead to etc.) and quest related items not being highlighted in your inventory.

Also just found out that the farming uses the PS3 system clock (so everything I planted when I last played on Friday is now frazzled) and I haven't yet done any real messing about with the weapon upgrades.

Number45

^^ thanks.

Man, I did the Forest of Myth last night... what the hell is that about? I was reading through the mayors dream thinking "this sounds beautiful, I'd love to actually be playing this", then I go into the woman's dream and frankly make it out of there on pure luck.

Did I miss clues as to what direction I should have been going in?

Number45

OK, so I managed to get to the end of part one last night (loved the last sequence). Do I need to do anything specific as I continue to play through part two so that I can make sure all alternative endings/stories are available to me, or I can I safely play it through as normal without worrying?

patsu

Number45 said:
OK, so I managed to get to the end of part one last night (loved the last sequence). Do I need to do anything specific as I continue to play through part two so that I can make sure all alternative endings/stories are available to me, or I can I safely play it through as normal without worrying?

I played through it without worrying. The sidequests in part 1 cannot be accessed from part 2 though.

patsu

BeautifulMemory said:
I just picked up this game. I know nothing in terms of substance. What can I expect in terms of style and approaches?

I completed the game without any expectation or prior knowledge of the game. I think it's the best way to play Nier.

Number45

patsu said:
I played through it without worrying. The sidequests in part 1 cannot be accessed from part 2 though.
Thanks. I've done a good chunk of those anyway (possibly only one or two left, I have the "30 quest" trophy anyway) so hopefully I haven't missed too much there.

Number45

OK, I completed the game last night and I have to say, Forest of Myth aside, I really enjoyed it. Looking forward to seeing what the other endings have to add too.

One question, how do I know which ending (obviously after I have ending B out of the way) is ending D? Ideally I'd prefer the game didn't delete all of my data until I'm ready. D:

Number45 said:
OK, I completed the game last night and I have to say, Forest of Myth aside, I really enjoyed it. Looking forward to seeing what the other endings have to add too.

One question, how do I know which ending (obviously after I have ending B out of the way) is ending D? Ideally I'd prefer the game didn't delete all of my data until I'm ready. D:
what was wrong with the Forest of Myth? Best writing in videogames today.

Number45

I did mention earlier somewhere that I liked the dialogue, but wasn't too keen on it from a gameplay standpoint. Particularly the woman's dream where you need to choose directions - it seemed completely random (on reading it turns out that's not the case, but I guess I missed any clues on that) and I made it through there with a mixture of luck/perseverance.

Number45

I'm on my new game++ at the moment, thought I'd use it as a trophy run (although I'm not convinced to go for the Platinum just yet). Fuck the white moonflower.

Really like what was added for play-through/ending B, although at the moment I don't know what's changed for play-through C.

Doomrider

Number45 said:
I'm on my new game++ at the moment, thought I'd use it as a trophy run (although I'm not convinced to go for the Platinum just yet). Fuck the white moonflower.

Really like what was added for play-through/ending B, although at the moment I don't know what's changed for play-through C.

You only get different endings for the 3rd and 4th playthroughs. Just save in the last area, watch one of the endings, reload, then pick the other option and see the last ending.

Number45

Ah, that makes sense then, thanks. I'll go as far as my sanity allows with the trophies (seriously, my system clock was into September with all of the shenanigans last night!) and then I can blast through to the end. :)

Number45

That reminds me actually... what does the "You're a WHAT?" in the thread title relate to? Is it for the other game (I assume I'm playing Gestalt), or does it refer to
Emil
?

It refers to Kaine being a Futanari in the Japanese version.

Even though I'm not sure if this even turned out to be true and what relevance this would have for the game.

Dunan

Number45 said:
That reminds me actually... what does the "You're a WHAT?" in the thread title relate to? Is it for the other game (I assume I'm playing Gestalt), or does it refer to
Emil
?

I always thought it referred to
Kainé
and
the slight ambiguity as to her gender

Number45

Hmm, could be that I suppose. I had been wondering what the
"you're a freak" part of the dream
was about.

And now that you've mentioned it, I feel slightly uncomfortable.

Syril

Number45 said:
Emil
?

The first information available about this game only emphasized two things: that there were two versions of Nier depending on what console you had, and that there was a foul-mouth hermaphrodite named Kaine. The whole thing made the game out to be some misguided cross between the styles of Final Fantasy and Gears of War.

FreeMufasa

slaughterking said:
It refers to Kaine being a Futanari in the Japanese version.

Even though I'm not sure if this even turned out to be true and what relevance this would have for the game.

I remember watching one of the endings online.
I randomly paused it and it happened to be an underwear shot of Kaine. She was packing.

MoogPaul

Just started this on my 360. Good so far. My only complaints are:
Dude is fast as fuck but crawls up a ladder.
The noise that occurs when my magic fills up makes me think that my ps3 is starting up.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Number45 said:
Emil
?
Thread title refers to what Nier says when he first meets Weiss. Weiss says he's a text of the darkest, most arcane type and Nier replies with the exact "you're a what!?" line.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZzw0Dwagx8
@13:50

Doomrider

FreeMufasa said:
Has anyone played both Gestalt and Replicant? Which did you prefer?

I have both, and while I prefer bishounen Nier's appearance (the
time skip
has a lot more impact), Gestalt's (i.e. the version we got) amazing voice work makes it the superior version. But that's just me.

Number45

FreeMufasa said:
I remember watching one of the endings online.
I randomly paused it and it happened to be an underwear shot of Kaine. She was packing.
Er, really? D:

MoogPaul said:
The noise that occurs when my magic fills up makes me think that my ps3 is starting up.
Haha, yes I found this as well! I always look at the PS3 expecting it to be having some kind of problem! Also, I just spam jump for the ladders (and double jump to start as high as possible) which helps a little.

Fuu said:
Thread title refers to what Nier says when he first meets Weiss. Weiss says he's a text of the darkest, most arcane type and Nier replies with the exact "you're a what!?" line.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZzw0Dwagx8
@13:50
Thanks.

FreeMufasa said:
Has anyone played both Gestalt and Replicant? Which did you prefer?
The
five-year jump
makes a LOT more sense in Replicant. You see not only the main character's growth in age but in personality and character as well.

It also makes
Kaine's love for him
more understandable.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Adam Blade said:
Considering I made the thread, I would think that I would know what I was thinking when the thread title was decided on.
It's about Kaine being
hermaphrodite
, isn't it?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Adam Blade said:
Considering I made the thread, I would think that I would know what I was thinking when the thread title was decided on.
And it will forever remain a mystery.

(1 cent that it was supposed to be both Nier's quote in the Weiss encounter + alluding to Kaine.)

Number45

I don't think I'm going to bother going for the platinum on this. Too much mindless grinding going on - if I'm not going to do that for WoW, this game has no chance. :p

I'll just make my way for endings C and D tonight I think.

Number45

Crap, just realised I need all of the weapons to get endings C & D and it looks as though I'm screwed on that as I can't get eagle eyes for the damaged map quest. :'(

Number45 said:
Crap, just realised I need all of the weapons to get endings C & D and it looks as though I'm screwed on that as I can't get eagle eyes for the damaged map quest. :'(
you mean eagle eggs? I don't remember any eagle eyes. Anyway it's pretty easy to get all weapons for those endings. As for the eggs, took me a lot of tries (reloading my save or whatever) and eventually they started coming up.

try reading through this thread: http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/nier/52876-faster-way-find-eagle-eggs-suicide-trick.html

Top Bottom