• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"You're a WHAT!?" Nier Gestalt|Replicant |OT|

patsu

soultron said:
The words that alter the weapons and magic abilities is pretty much equivalent to crafting/augmenting.

Note: the following is my personal opinion and not meant to derail the thread. It's simply an indepth critique as to why I think the story and writing, thus far, are terrible.

Anime, in my mind, is merely a framework within which cool shit happens (Martial arts! Big swords! Boobs! Explosions!) without being very strong in neither narrative or character writing. There are a handful of phenomenal exceptions that we could namedrop, but after spending a lot of time growing up consuming it, it is, for the most part, a barren and shallow medium that I can barely stand these days.

I'd hate to come off as condescending or whatnot to most anime fans (as I'm sure there are some here) but I can't really stomach most Japanese games these days that have writing that's typical of most anime chaff. Once and a while you have a game come along like El Shaddai that has a really intriguing concept and an original story with neat writing -- but even that has some hokey dialogue to go with it. Nier, this far in, seems like a lot of the same old stuff: sick kid that is meek yet defiant; tough chick (well... :lol) who offputting because she really has too much to prove; and even the face of the one character (the one with the round, inanimate face) is a direct rip from the manga/anime Berserk. All in all, the plot and writing seem so paper thin and weak, yet is so overbearing at the same time, so it comes off as a huge blunder not worth paying attention to.

So far, the story isn't batshit insane/terrible to the point where it's hilarious (like Bayonetta, for instance) so I can't really take it seriously.

I'm still very much open to the story/writing improving, but at this point, I'm playing it for its combat and refreshing take on the action RPG genre.

Ah, that's because you are approaching the story with a creator's eye instead of just going with the flow. You'll enjoy the game more.

Most anime are targeted at young folks, especially exported ones. In the complete manga world, there are much more variety covering all sorts of topics and literature.

It's like Hollywood movies vs the entire movie library, Hollywood movies tend to follow certain formula.

Number45

Clear said:
For replayers (from the start) the opening third or so of the game is loaded with significant stuff... with hindsight its quite shocking actually.
I think I'm at the point now where the platinum seems quite obtainable, so I need to go for the sub 15 hour playthrough (and the 100-hit combo) - hopefully I can get those and still pay a little attention throughout the first half of the game.

Clear said:
Keep going. You'll be surprised I think at the directions the story goes in. The opening is very traditional, but it needs to be in order to set ongoing events up. And if (and I hope you will) you persevere through to at least Ending B I think you'll be impressed by the amount of thought and detail that Cavia put in.

For replayers (from the start) the opening third or so of the game is loaded with significant stuff... with hindsight its quite shocking actually.
indeed. The game's story is actually quite good/complex/deep but until you learn exactly what's going on it won't "hit you". But if you beat the game and still don't like it then there isn't much wrong with that, there's always people who don't feel something so it's all good.

Ledsen

patsu said:
Yes, the Runes change the weapon attributes.

Oh, yeah I knew about that. That's more like a materia system though.

-Pyromaniac- said:
indeed. The game's story is actually quite good/complex/deep but until you learn exactly what's going on it won't "hit you". But if you beat the game and still don't like it then there isn't much wrong with that, there's always people who don't feel something so it's all good.

I wouldn't really call it deep. You get one big twist in the second playthrough but that's basically the big difference between that and the first one.

Dunan

Number45 said:
I think I'm at the point now where the platinum seems quite obtainable, so I need to go for the sub 15 hour playthrough (and the 100-hit combo) - hopefully I can get those and still pay a little attention throughout the first half of the game.

The best place to get the 100-hit combo is in the opening segment of the game, where Nier is defending Yonah in the abandoned shop in 2047.

It might have been the first trophy I got for this game. Grab it when you do your 15-hour playthrough.

Ledsen said:
Oh, yeah I knew about that. That's more like a materia system though.

I wouldn't really call it deep. You get one big twist in the second playthrough but that's basically the big difference between that and the first one.
I'd personally call it deep. It's not about twists and turns that I'm referring to, but about right vs wrong, good vs evil, morals, etc...

Those themes play a huge part in the story and it is done in kind of a subtle way with no real distinction of what may or may not be the "right" or "good" thing.

I mean come on, playing as a clone that has all the memories/experiences of the original and trying to save your daughter because of it, and then you find out that everything you've been doing is killing real people who weren't clones, including the original father of the daughter, so you either have to give her up to him which would of course destroy you or take her for yourself which would destroy the real you.
And that's just the deep/complex issue with that main storyline, then there is
the idea of the cloning and all that overall, among other things.

Izayoi

Banned
Apologies, as I'm sure that this has already been answered, but which version is better - Xbox 360 or PS3? Are there any differences at all, even framerate/visuals-wise? I've got both a PS3 and 360 so I'm trying to decide which version to get.

iavi

Izayoi said:
Apologies, as I'm sure that this has already been answered, but which version is better - Xbox 360 or PS3? Are there any differences at all, even framerate/visuals-wise? I've got both a PS3 and 360 so I'm trying to decide which version to get.

I do know that the 360 version runs great.

Famassu

No graphical differences afaik, but IIRC PS3 version has better audio, if you have the audiophile shit to take advantage of it.

1stStrike

Banned
Izayoi said:

They are both about the same so get it for whichever console you prefer.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Famassu said:
No graphical differences afaik, but IIRC PS3 version has better audio, if you have the audiophile shit to take advantage of it.

Yeah, the only difference is the PS3 version having better audio. Otherwise they're identical, so it wouldn't matter what version you get.

Izayoi

Banned
Famassu said:
Combichristoffersen said:
Yeah, the only difference is the PS3 version having better audio. Otherwise they're identical, so it wouldn't matter what version you get.
Well that settles that, PS3 version it is. Thanks guys.

Dunan

Listening to the Nier Tribute Album, which just came out three days ago, now.

The tracks range from great to... different. I do not like what they did with Shadowlord, but the other ones are very quirky and fun!

1stStrike

Banned
Dunan said:

The tracks range from great to... different. I do not like what they did with Shadowlord, but the other ones are very quirky and fun!

Thanks for the heads up! I just bought it off otaku.com.

http://www.otaku.com/products/32134&referer=googleps

Edit:

On that note, I found a pretty awesome Nier music video (fan made) on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G254mjKa3ZA&feature=related

It does contain spoilers, though, so be warned if you haven't played the game.

Yoshiya

From what I'm hearing on youtube Echo is good. I'll definitely consider importing it. The reworking of Snow in Summer which makes up the first part of track 5 is still probably my favourite piece, and that was the sample they were streaming on the site.

Gravijah

Dunan said:

Hah, of what I have listened to, the Shadowlord arrangement is my favorite.

Dunan

chaostrophy said:
Already out of stock :(

I just wonder how they were able to offer that $24.99 price! Here in Japan, where the CD is produced, it sells for Y2100 or about $26.00!

Anyone else have the SE omnibus "More SQ" album? It contains a bunch of remixes in a similar style to this Nier album, including a Kaine remix that would fit in quite well on this CD.

Dunan

Famassu said:
Piano album? Have they confirmed such thing?

The inside of the "belt paper" on the CD confirms it. No date yet though.

Augemitbutter said:
they charge more for shipping.

Ah, forgot about that! $9.00, I see; I'd been assuming some kinf of Amazon-like cheap shipping.

For $34 you could probably buy it in Japan and ship it privately and not lose money. I'd gladly buy another one from my local shop and ship it out to anyone who wants it if you'll give me some good karma on the buy/sell/trade forum for next time I need something from the West.

It's a great CD but I was hoping to finally get liner notes with the lyrics, which I've been trying to transcribe just by listening to the music. No lyrics this time, but the panel behind where the CD is stored does have what looks like a bizarre, typically-Nier-like story in tiny spiraling print. How is anyone supposed to read that without a microscope!?

ctrayne

ZephyrFate said:
Kaine is a hermaphrodite. This is not 'a guy trapped in a woman's body' for fuck's sake. People are idiots.
This is super old, but did this poster actually believe that?
Yes, she is a hermaphrodite, but she also has a male shade partially possessing her body, correct?

-Pyromaniac- said:
The guy who made Nier is busy producing Dragon Quest X online I believe.

I think that's the producer, Yosuke Saito. AFAIK Yoko Taro, Nier's director, was more responsible for the story and world concept of Nier than Saito. I haven't heard any news from Taro since Cavia was dissolved.

Torraz

This was my favorite game of 2010... I'm considering buying the japanese platinum version, but the problem is while my ability to understand spoken japanese was sufficient for ffxiii and tales of graces f, my reading skills are still very sub-par.

If I remember correctly there was this "visual novel" part where the answers were randomized/shuffled each time, right? Would that be an insurmountable obstacle?

Thanks

Combichristoffersen

ctrayne said:
This is super old, but did this poster actually believe that?
Yes, she is a hermaphrodite, but she also has a male shade partially possessing her body, correct?

That is correct, although IIRC she was
born a hermaphrodite, as she was teased as a kid due to being 'different'

BobM

i picked this game up on the cheap a few months back, played only a tiny bit (stopped right after i met this book thing)

thinking about getting back into it...deciding on an rpg to play for a while. i saw this thread keep popping up, and thought maybe its better then i am expecting from my brief time with it? thoughts? keep in mind i know nothing about this game really

Combichristoffersen

BobM said:
i picked this game up on the cheap a few months back, played only a tiny bit (stopped right after i met this book thing)

thinking about getting back into it...deciding on an rpg to play for a while. i saw this thread keep popping up, and thought maybe its better then i am expecting from my brief time with it? thoughts? keep in mind i know nothing about this game really

It's not really an RPG in the same sense as, say, Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest are RPGs. It's more like a third person action game with light RPG elements. It's a divisive game, some love it while other hate it (I loved it). Give it a try to see if you'll like it :)

It's good to see that people are still enjoying Nier. I consider it the best underrated gem of 2010.

The combination of excellent music, story and characters just made it an unforgettable experience for me.

Number45

Torraz said:
If I remember correctly there was this "visual novel" part where the answers were randomized/shuffled each time, right? Would that be an insurmountable obstacle?

Thanks
It should only be a matter of word/number/symbol recognition, I can't imagine it would be a show stopper.

Also,
is there a confirmed source on Kaine being a hermaphrodite, or are assumptions being made? I can't think of anything in the game that hints towards that specifically. :/

No idea if that needs to be tagged or not.

1stStrike

Banned
Number45 said:
It should only be a matter of word/number/symbol recognition, I can't imagine it would be a show stopper.

Also,
is there a confirmed source on Kaine being a hermaphrodite, or are assumptions being made? I can't think of anything in the game that hints towards that specifically. :/

No idea if that needs to be tagged or not.

Square Enix: The character you are referring to is Kaine, one of Nier’s companions who fights alongside him during part of the game. It’s true, she is a hermaphrodite and you’re right, a surprising amount of media attention came out of this tidbit of information.

Source: http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2010/03/nier-interview/

Now then, that take cares of all that misinfo. Kaine had a dick from the start.

Number45

1stStrike said:
Square Enix: The character you are referring to is Kaine, one of Nier’s companions who fights alongside him during part of the game. It’s true, she is a hermaphrodite and you’re right, a surprising amount of media attention came out of this tidbit of information.

Source: http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2010/03/nier-interview/

Now then, that take cares of all that misinfo. Kaine had a dick from the start.
Thanks, I hadn't read that. Still don't think it's communicated well within the game though (which I guess makes sense if they didn't want it to be a big deal).

Dunan

BobM said:

This is just when the game gets good. Listen carefully to everything that book thing has to say.

Found this puppy in the bargain bin at Kmart for like $12 a couple of months ago (got Patapon 2 for $4 too), backlog was too big to pop it in, but I'm gonna start it tonight.

I know better than to listen to the GAF hivemind, but between the price and this thread, I decided to give it a shake.

Fine Ham Abounds said:
Found this puppy in the bargain bin at Kmart for like $12 a couple of months ago (got Patapon 2 for $4 too), backlog was too big to pop it in, but I'm gonna start it tonight.

I know better than to listen to the GAF hivemind, but between the price and this thread, I'm gonna give it a shake.
it really is a good game. Don't let the beginning turn you off like it does some people, it gets progressively better.

Top Bottom