• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"You're a WHAT!?" Nier Gestalt|Replicant |OT|

Ledsen

Fine Ham Abounds said:
Found this puppy in the bargain bin at Kmart for like $12 a couple of months ago (got Patapon 2 for $4 too), backlog was too big to pop it in, but I'm gonna start it tonight.

I know better than to listen to the GAF hivemind, but between the price and this thread, I decided to give it a shake.

Yeah it's a good game, but I'd advise you to avoid the sidequests, they can be very off-putting and it's worth it to ignore them and just play through the main story.

sixclaws

Banned
I wouldn't necessarily say avoid all the side quest since some of them have nice endings. For how troublesome the fishing quests were the dialogue between the characters was enjoyable. If you can find the quest dialogue online then its worth watching.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I've been listening to the - echo - tribute album a lot, and its really, really good.

This is my favourite atm

The Lost Forest (Remix)

This mix by Cavia's Takayuki Aihara is one of the few vocal-free mixes and really elevates the original.

The shade-like distorted sounds during the chorus really add a tragic dimension to the piece, especially if you consider the track's title and the desert location/story sub-arc to which it connects in the game. ; ;

I decided to put the game in again and realized something I did not get before.

Second half spoilers:
The time you go to the Aerie and fight Wendy, Nier and the rest declare it was a trap and that was always my interpretation of it, too. Upon playing it again, I think it was the Shades trying to show Nier that they're not all bad and that they could operate as normal people without Nier slicing them in half. One Shade couldn't hold it together long enough, though, and things started escalating from there until a bunch of the shades got scared and formed Wendy.

ShockingAlberto said:

Second half spoilers:
The time you go to the Aerie and fight Wendy, Nier and the rest declare it was a trap and that was always my interpretation of it, too. Upon playing it again, I think it was the Shades trying to show Nier that they're not all bad and that they could operate as normal people without Nier slicing them in half. One Shade couldn't hold it together long enough, though, and things started escalating from there until a bunch of the shades got scared and formed Wendy.
Yep, that's I got from it as well. Basically was a sting....a sting that ended horribly o_0

Gvaz

Banned
Icelight said:
Fight a boar as soon as possible, and new game+ isn't optional, it's mandatory.
Really? I almost never replay games, so any reason why?

Also any tips you can give me? Things I should work on from the start, things I should hold on to and not sell, etc

Icelight

Gvaz said:

Also any tips you can give me? Things I should work on from the start, things I should hold on to and not sell, etc
Well, without spoiling anything, let's just say NG+ changes everything while changing nothing. (It also starts you off at the halfway point of the game, so you don't have to do the *entire* game over again).

Things I would focus on would be (trying to keep everything spoiler-free so it's intentionally vague):

(a) Doing all of the side quests available before you enter a mansion (you'll know it when you see it). Entering that triggers a point of no return for the second half of the game and all side quests from the first half get locked out (there's no unique items you get from them though)
(b) Collecting all the weapons. If you want to see all the endings you'll need all the weapons in the game. They can all be acquired after the point of no return that I mentioned. So don't sell any weapons!

Unless I'm missing something there's absolutely nothing missable in the game beyond the actual completion stats for the side quests in the first half.

Eccocid

Gvaz said:

Reasons for replaying will be spoiler. But yeah i never replay games too but you should do it. Oh and it takes much shorter in 2nd time. You will see.

Reveirg

1stStrike said:
I just listened to that one. Really love it!

I can't wait till my CD is here so I can listen to this in lossless :3

That album is FANTASTIC. As said before, the World's End Girlfriend remix is crazy. The "Grandma" remix by Schoreder-Headz is a fantastic piece of piano collage that does justice to the original while still being fresh.

Kainé's and The Wretched Automatons' post-rock versions are also worth a listen, as is the whole disc in fact.

Yet another remainder at how underappreciated the whole world of NIER is. It's a shame the studio dissolved and that we won't see a sequel. (It's also a shame that the game's creator is busy being DQX's producer...)

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
ShockingAlberto said:
Don't bother farming.

By which I mean literally farming.

Do it if you want but it is a waste of time if you're expecting something grand.

The only real reason to do any farming would be to complete that pain in the ass flower side quest. But since it's a side quest, you could just skip it if you don't feel like doing it.

So, and I mean this in the most loving way possible, this game feels to me like someone tried to take an abandoned N64 action RPG and port it to PS2 using FFXI resources, then passed it to Omega Force to fiddle with it a bit and port it to PS3. Honestly, that's just how it feels to me.

The plot setup where the main character and the book hook up is painfully contrived but not any worse than any old SNES JRPG, and the game's odd sense of humor and characters have really kept me interested.

For a while there it really just felt like I was spinning my wheels and not really getting anywhere, just sort of going through the motions, but after getting into the Seafront town and the Junk Heap I can tell I've definitely gotten into the game and I'm hooked on seeing what more bizarre developments are in store.

I'm thankful to read about farming before I attempted it.

Gvaz

Banned
I got up to the part in the game when it wants you to start heading off to junks after meeting that crossdresser dude (already knew about that beforehand) and I got a bunch of money from selling those muttons to that quest lady 1500 per 10 muttons? yes please

And riding a wild boar with a Warp Drive button? hell yeah!

That boar wasn't really hard to defeat, it just was time consuming because your damage was plinky. just dodge and roll and spam attacks and spear every time you have the chance.

It's cool you can equip words on your attacks to increase drop rates!

Gravijah

Listening to the Echo album more, the arrangement by World's End Girlfriend is really really good. I've started checking out the artists other stuff.
Gvaz said:
I got up to the part in the game when it wants you to start heading off to junks after meeting that crossdresser dude (already knew about that beforehand)

She is a hermaphrodite, not a crossdresser.

Fine Ham Abounds said:
So, and I mean this in the most loving way possible, this game feels to me like someone tried to take an abandoned N64 action RPG and port it to PS2 using FFXI resources, then passed it to Omega Force to fiddle with it a bit and port it to PS3. Honestly, that's just how it feels to me.

The plot setup where the main character and the book hook up is painfully contrived but not any worse than any old SNES JRPG, and the game's odd sense of humor and characters have really kept me interested.

For a while there it really just felt like I was spinning my wheels and not really getting anywhere, just sort of going through the motions, but after getting into the Seafront town and the Junk Heap I can tell I've definitely gotten into the game and I'm hooked on seeing what more bizarre developments are in store.

I'm thankful to read about farming before I attempted it.
Takes a tiny bit for the game to find its footing but when it does it's pretty damn good. It only gets better, so enjoy.

ultron87

Gravijah said:
She is a hermaphrodite, not a crossdresser.

Does the game ever spell that out directly? I mean I know there's a bunch of stuff about her that refers to it during the second playthrough, but I don't ever remember anything saying it was that specifically.

I only knew because I'd read it about the game before ever starting it.

Gravijah

ultron87 said:
Does the game ever spell that out directly? I mean I know there's a bunch of stuff about her that refers to it during the second playthrough, but I don't ever remember anything saying it was that specifically.

I only knew because I'd read it about the game before ever starting it.

Not that I remember, no. It's hinted at a lot, but the game never outright tells you. It was confirmed outside of the game, though.

Gvaz

Banned
WEG is a great, great band. Similar artists in the same vein are good too.

So: How long is this game if you don't do EVERYTHING?

Go_Ly_Dow

ShockingAlberto said:

Second half spoilers:

Mind blown when you look at it that way.

I love how open the game is to interpretation

Gravijah

Gvaz said:
WEG is a great, great band. Similar artists in the same vein are good too.

So: How long is this game if you don't do EVERYTHING?

Doing 3 playthroughs (and seeing all 4 endings) should take you about 25-30 hours? Give or take. One normal playthrough should be about 15-20, and subsequent playthroughs only take about 5. It's crucial you play through at least twice, because NG+ gives you a perspective you don't see during the first playthrough. You could youtube the last two endings after that, though I wouldn't. Much better when you see them firsthand.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Didn't they do a live concert with Nier music a few months back? And if so, did they ever release an album? Maybe it's something like that.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
ShockingAlberto said:

Second half spoilers:
What I don't get about that scene
Did the replicants not know some people were shades? With all the shouts in the background it sounds like they were living like family and the shades went berserk and stuff. It doesn't help that you only hear the sounds and don't see the actual actions. But that boy and his sister, is he a shade too or a replicant?
Edit: I would be so happy if there was a sequel to the game :(. One of my favourite experiences, ever. It gave me that sort of feeling you got from playing games as a kid for some reason, coupled with the deep narrative.

Also,
BEEEPYYYY

Easy_D said:
What I don't get about that scene
Did the replicants not know some people were shades? With all the shouts in the background it sounds like they were living like family and the shades went berserk and stuff. It doesn't help that you only hear the sounds and don't see the actual actions. But that boy and his sister, is he a shade too or a replicant?

Edit: I would be so happy if there was a sequel to the game :(. One of my favourite experiences, ever. It gave me that sort of feeling you got from playing games as a kid for some reason, coupled with the deep narrative.

Also,
BEEEPYYYY
You edit the post and still don't notice you have a mistake in your spoiler tags? FIX IT.

Gvaz

Banned
Sorry for the double post, but I just beat Nier. This was probably one of the most unique and interesting games I've played in quite some time.

Gvaz

Banned
I just did a bit of the dream sequences on NG+ with kaine then youtubed the endings, read the wiki, and most of the Gestalt Noir

Now I can move on and play something else and get rid of this enormous backlog

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Gvaz said:
I just did a bit of the dream sequences on NG+ with kaine then youtubed the endings, read the wiki, and most of the Gestalt Noir
So basically you got nothing out of it. Well, your call, you missed out though.

PS: The other endings aren't what's important about the first NG+ play.

Top Bottom