• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"You're a WHAT!?" Nier Gestalt|Replicant |OT|

Has anyone played Replicant to comment on it's difference in story? I haven't played this game yet but I've always preferred the Brother's design to the Father's. I've heard the Father's story is somehow better though, and I'd like the definitive experience if I'm ever going to play this.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Gvaz said:
yeah, i got the story out of it so im pretty satisfied
The big part of the first NG+ is
seeing all the cutscenes from the shades point of view. You can read about it, but that would have zero effect in comparison to playing/experiencing it in game, IMO.

I should be doing hw said:
Has anyone played Replicant to comment on it's difference in story? I haven't played this game yet but I've always preferred the Brother's design to the Father's. I've heard the Father's story is somehow better though, and I'd like the definitive experience if I'm ever going to play this.
There are minimal changes. I'd say just go for the English version because Father Nier character and plot (relationship to his daughter) are atypical in comparison to Brother Nier who is tried and true generic anime tripe.. and the localization and voice acting is phenomenal.

Dunan

I vastly prefer the Father as the father-daughter connection rings much more true to me. After finishing the game, I could see one argument for the younger hero; Father Nier's hardheadedness and foolishness, replaced by youthful folly, fit well with such a person.

When the vote was taken on which one to use, though, and the Father came out ahead, Yokoo never made such an argument, or any argument at all: his reponse was more of a petulant, whiny, "but this is an RPG, so the hero has to be a young boy" rather than anything deeper or more rational.

Voice acting is also much better in English with the father; Young Nier is just another run-of-the-mill shonen that you've probably seen a million times before.

I'd look past things like character design. This game isn't about beauty: it's about ugliness. Wouldn't be the same without that.

Gvaz

Banned
That's what I got too from reading that interview, the writer likes the brother nier but everything I've read made it seem more like the typical "japan hates anything burly so make it effeminate and cute"

Father Nier is much more superior at the very least because it's atypical and feels more "real" which is funny because that's also what they were going for in the story yet the brother one feels like it subverts that. smh

Kyoufu

Yeah I have absolutely no complaints with the Father, even though his character art is ugly, he was voiced very well and fit in superbly. I'm still curious about the Boy though, as I prefer the look of him more. It's just personal preference and in no way does that mean I didn't have an amazing time playing as the Father.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Kyoufu said:
Yeah I have absolutely no complaints with the Father, even though his character art is ugly, he was voiced very well and fit in superbly. I'm still curious about the Boy though, as I prefer the look of him more. It's just personal preference and in no way does that mean I didn't have an amazing time playing as the Father.
You can play as Brother Nier in the DLC on the international version, though it's just a battle gauntlet, no cut scenes/voice acting.

elwes

Started playing this a few days ago. I'm liking it so far, but the fetch quest/backtracking is killing me. Plus, animals dropping two sets of loot, with one being more rare is stupid frustrating. And having to go through that canned animation to get the loot...ARGH. Just let me walk over the animal and get it, or push a button and automatically receive the item from the animal.

The load scene pictures crack me up. They make Nier look like such an ass.

"Today was Dad's birthday. He wasn't here, so...I had a party all by myself!"

:(

Gravijah

elwes said:
Started playing this a few days ago. I'm liking it so far, but the fetch quest/backtracking is killing me. Plus, animals dropping two sets of loot, with one being more rare is stupid frustrating.

If you don't enjoy the sidequests, don't do them. The story payoff is usually good, but otherwise the reward is just gold you don't need and progress towards achievements.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Gravijah said:
If you don't enjoy the sidequests, don't do them. The story payoff is usually good, but otherwise the reward is just gold you don't need and progress towards achievements.
Great advice, I enjoyed every aspect of the game and I think the side-quests provided some awesome details into the story and characters but if you're not into A LOT of looting, you are better off just enjoying the primary game.

elwes said:

I'm all of 4 hours into the game, so I don't know if there's any weird significance to his birthday being September 11th. :p

Also, there's nothing worse than a sad tree.

Ledsen

elwes said:
Started playing this a few days ago. I'm liking it so far, but the fetch quest/backtracking is killing me. Plus, animals dropping two sets of loot, with one being more rare is stupid frustrating. And having to go through that canned animation to get the loot...ARGH. Just let me walk over the animal and get it, or push a button and automatically receive the item from the animal.

Ahahaha, never saw that one!

Princess Skittles said:
So basically you got nothing out of it. Well, your call, you missed out though.

PS: The other endings aren't what's important about the first NG+ play.

I don't see why you'd say that considering he knows the whole story and only missed a few slightly corny scenes during NG+ that tell him what he already knows. They're cool but not super essential.

You all sold me on Father Nier, I shall go pick it up once exams are done! Voice acting hadn't crossed my mind really. I may get bro Nier later on if I still have the urge.

Fine Ham Abounds said:
I'm all of 4 hours into the game, so I don't know if there's any weird significance to his birthday being September 11th. :p
It's probably nothing more than using that date to elicit uncomfortable feelings or sorrow towards the character.

Or perhaps it's just a coincidence?

Mature

Beat it! What an odd and lovely game. Truly unique.

I do have a couple of questions though...

I kind of let side-quests fall to the wayside at the beginning of the game, so can I not revisit those now that NG+ starts you at the second half? Also, it seems that most the side-quests in the game are cash rewards... and there seemingly isn't a ton of stuff to buy. So are side quests largely pointless after you purchase all the purchaseable weapons? Or is there something big I'm missing? And are they required for a trophy/achievement?

Rufus

Mature said:
I do have a couple of questions though...

I kind of let side-quests fall to the wayside at the beginning of the game, so can I not revisit those now that NG+ starts you at the second half?

Also, it seems that most the side-quests in the game are cash rewards... and there seemingly isn't a ton of stuff to buy. So are side quests largely pointless after you purchase all the purchaseable weapons?

Or is there something big I'm missing?

And are they required for a trophy/achievement?
Yes. Pretty much. Not that I can remember. Yes, but you should forget about those right now. Use the time to get all the endings (at least B), read up on the fiction if you've got any unanswered questions and that's it. Don't bother with the achievements, waste of time.

cj_iwakura

The side quests have stories to them. Some trivial, some interesting, some downright heartrending. Most get voice acted skits when you go off on them, too.

Mature

Rufus said:
Yes. Pretty much. Not that I can remember. Yes, but you should forget about those right now. Use the time to get all the endings (at least B), read up on the fiction if you've got any unanswered questions and that's it. Don't bother with the achievements, waste of time.
Cool, will do.

cj_iwakura said:
The side quests have stories to them. Some trivial, some interesting, some downright heartrending. Most get voice acted skits when you go off on them, too.
Yeah, that's why I want to do them. Calling it good voice acting and writing doesn't begin to tell the tale of this game.

Edit: Oh, something probably trivial:
After you go back to the forest of myth to get the memory tree key, there's two people with weird stories that consist of just a bunch of dots. Is there anything to this?

Gvaz

Banned
I like how one of them explains
a city and how the party thought it was "modern art" not realizing they were skyscrapers that people lived in.

PixyJunket said:
It's probably nothing more than using that date to elicit uncomfortable feelings or sorrow towards the character.

Or perhaps it's just a coincidence?
I assumed it was just coincidence, but after reading much of this thread, I find myself taking note of just about every seemingly insignificant thing in case its relevant later.

It's driving me nuts not advancing through the game atm, but I've got 3 long ass games out from Gamefly at the moment. This was a bad season to choose to start playing this :p

Dunan

Fine Ham Abounds said:
I assumed it was just coincidence, but after reading much of this thread, I find myself taking note of just about every seemingly insignificant thing in case its relevant later.

It's driving me nuts not advancing through the game atm, but I've got 3 long ass games out from Gamefly at the moment. This was a bad season to choose to start playing this :p

I think I read in Grimoire Nier that September 11 was chosen because it was the release date for one of the Drakengard games, but they do make a note of 9/11/01 too.

Just bought this game at the recommendation of GAF. The first thing I see when I step into the wide-open field is a family of chickens. I can already tell I'm going to love this game.

leng jai said:
Just got my Nier Tribute CD. Track 12 is godlike.

What track is that? I haven't got the CD, but I do have the OST on my computer.

One of my favourites is Wretched Automatons. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wmc3yji0G84

<3 Nier.

Deified Data said:
Just bought this game at the recommendation of GAF. The first thing I see when I step into the wide-open field is a family of chickens. I can already tell I'm going to love this game.

You're in for a treat! It's a really deep and dark game. One of the best games I've ever played, top 10 without a doubt. And that's saying a lot, since I've not played all the way through a JRPG since the PS2/Xbox era. But this, was too good to miss. :)

The English Conquistador said:
You're in for a treat! It's a really deep and dark game. One of the best games I've ever played, top 10 without a doubt. And that's saying a lot, since I've not played all the way through a JRPG since the PS2/Xbox era. But this, was too good to miss. :)
I feel guilty for shying away from this one at release due to a few negative reviews I heard. One mention of "God of War" and the RPG elitist in me puckered his anus. That being said, I'm glad I opened up to the positive reception after the fact. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy digging into a forgotten classic. Wandering the village and listening to the vocals of the background music increase in volume as I got closer to a woman singing on a bench was a hugely gleeful moment. Same feeling Okami gave me for the first time, in fact.

Deified Data said:
I feel guilty for shying away from this one at release due to a few negative reviews I heard. One mention of "God of War" and the RPG elitist in me puckered his anus. That being said, I'm glad I opened up to the positive reception after the fact. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy digging into a forgotten classic. Wandering the village and listening to the vocals of the background music increase in volume as I got closer to a woman singing on a bench was a hugely gleeful moment. Same feeling Okami gave me for the first time, in fact.

I see why you were hesistant, a lot of people in this thread felt the same way I believe.

Reviews, unfortunately can be a barrier to entry, either swaying a person to buying, or not. If you missed out on this gem, it would have been a shame, same to anyone who just solely follows reviews/negativity from the media.

However, the game is one of the greatest I've ever played, and I really do wish/hope another one comes along one day. It's a true gem in every sense. I'm glad there's a community, albeit small, that loves/likes this game as much as I do. It has a cult following, but that's enough I think.

I agree completely about the music btw, the soundtrack is stellar. I've got the soundtrack, and man, the song the girl on the bench sings (I forget her name) is lovely. :)

Enjoy it dude, it's a long ol' journey!

AwShucks

Deified Data said:

Yeah I bought it cause of GAG and another board I frequent always talking it up. When I grabbed it from Amazon it was $15. I must say it is probably the best $15 I've ever spent on videogames. The game never lets up (if you're doing mainly story, I don't know about side quests) as it throws interesting story and boss fights at you left and right.

Such a good game.

jcm

If there's just a few songs you want to own, itunes now sells the OST songs individually, as well as the $15.99 album price.

Got Nier for $20, seems about right to me. I don't know when I'm going to able to play this though, I just bought a ton of games in a sale. So far I have Catherine, Vanquish, Shadows of the Damned, Yakuza 4, Dark Souls and El Shaddai in backlog, Batman and Uncharted 3 coming and still playing through Deus Ex HR.
Gahhhh.

Mature

Got Nier for $20, seems about right to me. I don't know when I'm going to able to play this though, I just bought a ton of games in a sale. So far I have Catherine, Vanquish, Shadows of the Damned, Yakuza 4, Dark Souls and El Shaddai in backlog, Batman and Uncharted 3 coming and still playing through Deus Ex HR.
Gahhhh.
Not to mention all that hw

flyover

Gahhhh.
Of all those titles you mentioned, I would start with Nier before playing any of the others. Then again, I guess that's what you'd expect someone in the Nier thread would say.

It's not a perfect game, by any means. But I played it early this year, and I still can't let it go. I think of it often.

So I bought this game some months ago as it was on sale, played it for a couple of hours and though it was repetitive and dull. The most interesting thing abou the game seemed to be its story; the soundtrack was also pretty good. I keep hearing how the story is good enough to endure the gameplay. But is this really true? Should I persevere?

Gvaz

Banned
I recently beat the game a week or so ago, and it was a great experience. The combat was interesting enough for me, with the bullet hell mechanics and abilities were fun to use, and combat felt cool, though a little shallow and mashy. I can deal with that. The music is top notch, and the story is really good, but one playthrough doesn't reveal everything on purpose. There's essentially 4 endings, and each one starts you off at the halfway point instead of at the start. (2nd half is pretty short) and the second half is mostly different depending on which ending you're on because it focuses on different stuff along the way.

I ultimately think it was probably one of the most unique and depressing games I've ever played.

Hesemonni

Banned
I wonder, any other games out there which leave you with the same gut wrenching feeling like Nier?
AuthenticM said:
But is this really true? Should I persevere?
Game story of the Decade. Soundtrack of the Forever. Plenty of reasons to go on.

Mature said:
Not to mention all that hw
Forgot to mention Xenoblade. Yeah, I've fallen off the wagon pretty badly with games recently, there is still a fair amount of hw on my plate right now.

Of all those titles you mentioned, I would start with Nier before playing any of the others. Then again, I guess that's what you'd expect someone in the Nier thread would say.

It's not a perfect game, by any means. But I played it early this year, and I still can't let it go. I think of it often.
How long is it for someone who will probably try to do most of the side-quests if they offer any variety.

Thankfully I have holidays from November through until March so I can give all these games the time I need to play them.

Ledsen

AuthenticM said:
So I bought this game some months ago as it was on sale, played it for a couple of hours and though it was repetitive and dull. The most interesting thing abou the game seemed to be its story; the soundtrack was also pretty good. I keep hearing how the story is good enough to endure the gameplay. But is this really true? Should I persevere?
The story is pretty good but not amazing imo. Worth it if you enjoy the gameplay like I did, but not enough to carry the game by itself.

BadWolf

Finished it yesterday for the A ending and today again for the B ending (then watched C and D on youtube, not into the whole weapon collection and save deletion thing).

I was left completely in awe by this game, it for me is one of the best games ever made.

The visuals were fantastic and the architecture was excellent, extremely memorable locations and world for me. The soundtrack was beautiful, haven't been taken this aback by a soundtrack since SOTC, so many epic and tragic tracks, just holy shit.

The characters and story really kept me going, even the side characters (like the Masked people) were very well presented and designed. Really felt for the leads. The story was amazing, didn't expect it to be this good. The B ending run made me adore/feel it even more.

The game reeked of Team Ico I think, especially in terms of the environments (even the way Nier ran), not to mention the Shades. Ico also did the whole translation of the language that you can't understand on another run iirc. I take all this as a positive, of course. Team Ico like visuals + deep story and characters + violence made for one heck of a combination.

The gameplay was really fast and fun, the powers were cool and I liked how they were useful throughout the game (I was using the very first ones I got often till the end of the game). Ignored the quests for the most part so the gameplay was pretty much completely frustration free for me. Not a fan of long games but I seriously didn't want this game to end :/

Overall, I give it a 20 out of 10.

Just for confirmation, both 360/PS3 english versions are identical (content/localisation wise), correct? Also performance wise, does any platform stand out?

Gvaz

Banned
viewtifulsub said:
Just for confirmation, both 360/PS3 english versions are identical (content/localisation wise), correct? Also performance wise, does any platform stand out?
They're identical, unless you get Replicant (in japanese)

Just finished the first playthrough - started my second. I know I have to collect all the weapons for endings C and D. Are any of the weapons found from doing side-quests in the first half of the game (i.e. the first half that gets skipped over on new game+)?

EDIT: Never mind. I've beaten the game with all 4 endings. Hoorah!

Erekiddo

I have had this sitting in my backlog since it came out, still in the wrapper even. I popped this into my 360 and finished it over the course of a week. All 4 endings, and I must say, very satisfying.

I'm tempted to get the DLC. I'm surprised with the amount added that there aren't any acheivement addons.

Abylim

Baahh, I beat this a year a go, and put it down, thoroughly impressed, blown away by the music, but had a ton of games to play.

I popped in here, listened to some of the tracks, and now all of a sudden I MUST play this, I need to get the other endings. Probably going to start over though, do some sidequests this time hehe.

What a fucking surprising game though, my wife bought ti for me fr xmas for like 15$ AUD.
I had heard bad things of it, but figured I'd give it a shot, and shit its awesome.

1stStrike

Banned
NeoNess said:
I have had this sitting in my backlog since it came out, still in the wrapper even. I popped this into my 360 and finished it over the course of a week. All 4 endings, and I must say, very satisfying.

I'm tempted to get the DLC. I'm surprised with the amount added that there aren't any acheivement addons.

DLC is awesome. Get it.

Abylim

Question: I did a few sidequests in part one (cant remember how many) is there enough sidequests for the trophy in part 2?

Top Bottom