• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys Community Thread | "Do you know the name Adol Christin?"

Man, you're going to hate VII and Celceta. The lead remains silent but the supporting cast refuses to shut up and the stories and characters aren't interesting enough to justify the bloat.

VII and Celceta are fantastic games but I also wish the characters would shut up.

jb1234

VII and Celceta are fantastic games but I also wish the characters would shut up.

I've actually only played VII but I've heard Celceta is more of the same as far as all the endless dialogue goes. VII was fun enough but all the JRPG cliches were out in full force. I just wanted to get in there and kick some ass!

(Which reminds me. I should replay Felghana soon.)

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Ys Origin spoilers

That's because Yunica's story is basically I had tea and cookies with the goddesses and I want to do that again but bad people won't let me!

Jesus Christ, it really was....

I've actually only played VII but I've heard Celceta is more of the same as far as all the endless dialogue goes. VII was fun enough but all the JRPG cliches were out in full force. I just wanted to get in there and kick some ass!

(Which reminds me. I should replay Felghana soon.)

I've played both and while they are amazing games I can agree that there is an enormous amount of dialogue you probably won't care about. I still recommend playing them if you're a Ys fan at all.

jb1234

I've played both and while they are amazing games I can agree that there is an enormous amount of dialogue you probably won't care about. I still recommend playing them if you're a Ys fan at all.

Oh, yeah. I would totally *love* to play Celceta but can't justify buying a Vita just for that game. :(

Finished Hugo's campaign, his story was better in some ways and worse in others, gameplay wise the game clearly wasn't balanced around Hugo's play style as he trivialized most bosses when they couldn't do much against his pew pew pew spam. Only the fight with The Claw was actually fun becuase Claw had ai that was programmed around Hugo's abilities and was actually somewhat challenging.

Guess I'll start The Claw's campaign which is also apparently the canon one and the really good story so lets see how it goes.

Edit: Claw's campaign is way better then the other two by far, both gameplay and story are vastly better.

jb1234

Finished Hugo's campaign, his story was better in some ways and worse in others, gameplay wise the game clearly wasn't balanced around Hugo's play style as he trivialized most bosses when they couldn't do much against his pew pew pew spam. Only the fight with The Claw was actually fun becuase Claw had ai that was programmed around Hugo's abilities and was actually somewhat challenging.

I found Yunica by far the hardest character to play with, especially on the bosses. But part of it was that I was still figuring out how to beat them.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I found Yunica by far the hardest character to play with, especially on the bosses. But part of it was that I was still figuring out how to beat them.

Well she is super clunky and has to rely on the fire sword attack most of the time which is slow.

Hugo and Claw both get to go apeshit on bosses.

The game did feel balanced around her though

I think the thing that irked me about Yunica is how your physical attack changed depending upon the spell you had. Other then that she was basically oath Adol with better spells (especially earth). I feel its more a case of Hugo and maybe the Claw's campaigns being too easy which makes Yunica's the hardest by default.

jb1234

I think the thing that irked me about Yunica is how your physical attack changed depending upon the spell you had. Other then that she was basically oath Adol with better spells (especially earth). I feel its more a case of Hugo and maybe the Claw's campaigns being too easy which makes Yunica's the hardest by default.

Yeah. I also played Origin right after Felghana and I thought with Yunica, Origin was slightly easier. With Hugo and the Claw, the game was practically a joke, difficulty-wise.

jb1234

Nightmare?

Origin felt way harder to me

Nah, I played both Felghana and Origin on Normal. It's been over a year since I last played them so I'll probably go back in at some point with a higher difficulty (especially Felghana, since I only played it once as opposed to Origin's three times).

Nightmare?

Origin felt way harder to me

Did you play the psp version of oath or the steam version? The psp adds extra abilities like double boost which makes that version much easier apparently.

Having played on hard I feel like Oath was harder then Origin for bosses which is the meat and potatoes. I feel like Origin had some slightly tougher regular enemies and room lay outs but those are much easier to cheese thanks to healing and the better magic abilities of the origin characters.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Origin Hard = Felghana Normal.

Nightmare is a massive difficulty increase in Origin though. Bosses are leagues more difficult than in hard mode.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
It's definitely among the weaker Ys games I've played, but I still enjoyed it. Adding a fast travel mechanic would go a long way in making it more enjoyable but that is probably expecting too much.

Tizoc

You know of all the boss fights I played in all my 20+ years of gaming, I don't think ANYTHING will top this at least any time soon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhDGlY-_Km4#t=186

Anyone else agree? You spend much of the game as a team, but then Falcom have you go solo just like the old days, and once again show the world that Adol effin' Christen gets. shit. done.

Jucksalbe

Banned
It's mostly the music that makes it special (though I love the boss music for the bosses after that even more), it really fits the situation perfectly, not to mention you get shirtless Adol for that fight.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
You know of all the boss fights I played in all my 20+ years of gaming, I don't think ANYTHING will top this at least any time soon.

Anyone else agree? You spend much of the game as a team, but then Falcom have you go solo just like the old days, and once again show the world that Adol effin' Christen gets. shit. done.

I don't think it's one of the best boss fights in the series. But it's one of the best moments that's for sure.

you're goddamn right. it is a special moment. something you will not forget.

jdkluv

tumblr_mnrcbdTFuo1sqw7cho1_500.jpg

>Adol gets thrown in an arena to fight a giant flaming hyena monster with a shitty sword and a wooden shield.
>He's not even meant to win - it's a glorified execution.
>http://youtu.be/m8-ZE3_b7pQ
>Adol kills the monster anyway.

Why is Adol such a fucking badass.

So I ended up getting a Vita today along with Ys 4 Memories in Celcetra, so I guess at this point I might as well play these games in order (ignoring Origin). Ys 5 is fan patch only, Ys 6 is coming to steam later this year, and ys 7 is on PSN and that's the whole series pretty much ya?

jb1234

Oddly, I've played through VII and I can't remember that fight at all...

Shizuka

So I ended up getting a Vita today along with Ys 4 Memories in Celcetra, so I guess at this point I might as well play these games in order (ignoring Origin). Ys 5 is fan patch only, Ys 6 is coming to steam later this year, and ys 7 is on PSN and that's the whole series pretty much ya?

Pretty much. Origin on PC, I & II on PC or PSP, Oath on PC or PSP, Celceta on Vita, V on PC, Napishtim on PC, PSP or PS2 and Seven on PSP.

Tizoc

Holy shit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhO37PCNAu0

Start with Ys Oath which is on sale for only a few hours!
Ys OiF is Ys 3 and a great staring point for a newcomer.

Steroyd

Bought so many Ys games played so little of them.

How the hell am I meant to beat that bat swarming 3rd boss in Ys 1, sweet Jesus 2 out of the 3 bosses so far just left me standing there thinking this is hard as hell and it's impossible to not tank some damage.

How the hell am I meant to beat that bat swarming 3rd boss in Ys 1, sweet Jesus 2 out of the 3 bosses so far just left me standing there thinking this is hard as hell and it's impossible to not tank some damage.

Did you get the Silver Sword? if not, go get it.

Psxphile

If you already got all the treasure inside the cave then you only need the Silver Sword. The Roda Seeds you got in one of the chests will allow you to talk to the Roda Trees out in the field (there's two of 'em) when you eat them. One of them gives you the sword.

Go to a corner, wait as long as you can while there is still space to move then bolt to the next corner, repeat until the bats slowly group back together. He will merge back into his real form, yell for a second, then split up again. That second when he yells is the only time you can hit him and you can only hit him once. Basically repeat this process until he dies, if you aren't at level 10 with the silver sword grind and go get it

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
To me the best moment in Ys history is in Origin.

Stuff happens then this kicks in

My second favorite? Also Ys Origin.... stuff happens then THIS PLAYS and since I played it blind all I said was HOOOOOOOLY FUUUUUUCK then suddenly... THIS
Fucking amazing

Playing Origin after 1 and 2 makes it fucking amazing. Best game

Erheller

So I'm finishing up my Oath in Felghana run, and I'm having with
Dularn's second fight (the sorcerer dude that throws swords at you)

I understand the nature of the fight,
dodging the swords first and then spamming fire magic
. What I can't do is dodge the
sword pattern where he throws a bunch of swords at the same time to cover an area
. It has almost no startup animation. I can hit the jump button before the swords reach me, but I still get hit because it takes some time for Adol to get enough height to avoid the swords.

Am I missing something, or are my reactions just too slow?

Vylash

just got to that point in Seven actually, so damn good, and dat music

Teknoman

So what are some good OSTs to go after, or have the CDs that came with the PSP/VIta releases pretty much covered the best stuff?

So I'm finishing up my Oath in Felghana run, and I'm having with
Dularn's second fight (the sorcerer dude that throws swords at you)

I understand the nature of the fight,
dodging the swords first and then spamming fire magic
. What I can't do is dodge the
sword pattern where he throws a bunch of swords at the same time to cover an area
. It has almost no startup animation. I can hit the jump button before the swords reach me, but I still get hit because it takes some time for Adol to get enough height to avoid the swords.

Am I missing something, or are my reactions just too slow?

Your earth charge move has invulneability frames letting you dash through the swords. Its what I did IIRC and its also what I did for an upcoming boss that I'm 99% sure that is the only way to dodge a specific attack.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Your earth charge move has invulneability frames letting you dash through the swords. Its what I did IIRC and its also what I did for an upcoming boss that I'm 99% sure that is the only way to dodge a specific attack.
Yup use earth through that. The dragon boss should have taught you how good earth is as well as the missle mech boss.

As for the next boss
I don't remember using Earth on him I just kept mobile I fucked up and didn't save my footage of the fight though so I could just be remembering wrong

Top Bottom