• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys Community Thread | "Do you know the name Adol Christin?"

Yup use earth through that. The dragon boss should have taught you how good earth is as well as the missle mech boss.

As for the next boss

I'm talking about the final boss, the part
in the 2nd phase where after you destroy the arms the boss rushes at you and litters the field with ice, I never figured out how to dodge this attack without earth charge. Perhaps double jump into whirlwind but the few times I tried I still got hit

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I'm talking about the final boss, the part
in the 2nd phase where after you destroy the arms the boss rushes at you and litters the field with ice, I never figured out how to dodge this attack without earth charge. Perhaps double jump into whirlwind but the few times I tried I still got hit

Yeah double jump into whirlwind works
* last boss spoiler in footage* http://www.twitch.tv/qistoptier/c/4938637 It's at 3:20

Mr.Jeff

So I'm finishing up my Oath in Felghana run, and I'm having with
Dularn's second fight (the sorcerer dude that throws swords at you)

I understand the nature of the fight,
dodging the swords first and then spamming fire magic
. What I can't do is dodge the
sword pattern where he throws a bunch of swords at the same time to cover an area
. It has almost no startup animation. I can hit the jump button before the swords reach me, but I still get hit because it takes some time for Adol to get enough height to avoid the swords.

Am I missing something, or are my reactions just too slow?
You can follow BassForever's advice and use the Earth Magic and its temporary invincibility when active but you can also dodge them most of them time.

The trickiest pattern is the one where the swords snake towards you since it requires a double jump and if another pattern occurs soon after it, you don't have enough time to recover.
Made a webm of my attempts.

I found that when I was making that, the hardest one to dodge is the block of swords which comes straight at you since it's faster than the other two patterns.

Erheller

Thanks for the help, I'll definitely try out the earth magic. Mr. Jeff's webm also showed some different ways to dodge the attacks - I'll try playing around with them.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Replaying OiF and Origin for cards is making me go start Celceta. I bought it along with my Vita last and still haven gotten around to play it. :(

Teknoman

i3j5E2w9ouJ9r.jpg

There we go.

Bladenic

99.5% treasure chests acquired in Celceta FUUUUU. Already 100% map so it has to be in a dungeon. Really hoping it's in the final dungeon and not in some other old dungeon.

Edit: LOL at that ending. Just wow

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
99.5% treasure chests acquired in Celceta FUUUUU. Already 100% map so it has to be in a dungeon. Really hoping it's in the final dungeon and not in some other old dungeon.

Edit: LOL at that ending. Just wow

I don't actually remember much of the ending... But there wasn't much to it in the first place. It seemed rushed.

Bladenic

I don't actually remember much of the ending... But there wasn't much to it in the first place. It seemed rushed.

Yeah that's what I meant. And it's hilarious because it's all "what happened to these characters" and "what was the wisdom"

"Lol fuck you we're not telling" like they were teasing you or something. Sure it's Ys but it was still pretty shitty. I thought Ys 7 had a better story, some better characters (though I like some of the Celceta cast), and a way more fun and interesting final boss.

Ys Origin, Hard Mode,
Toal Fact, Darm. This dudes quite the slog to fight. Right now I'm trying to focus on having a little over half of my health for the final phase of the fight, but it's proving tough. I especially hate the shadow phase where you half to play jump rope with the tentacles. His hands are much higher up and I'm forced to use Toals weaker but wider Jump slashes to hit them instead of his ground attack. I'm a little tempted to get up to level 52 instead of 51, but I think I can still do it if I git gud.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Ys Origin, Hard Mode,
Toal Fact, Darm. This dudes quite the slog to fight. Right now I'm trying to focus on having a little over half of my health for the final phase of the fight, but it's proving tough. I especially hate the shadow phase where you half to play jump rope with the tentacles. His hands are much higher up and I'm forced to use Toals weaker but wider Jump slashes to hit them instead of his ground attack. I'm a little tempted to get up to level 52 instead of 51, but I think I can still do it if I git gud.

I actually thought that part was the easiest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gcb7yWm3dpY

Considering how much he keeps healing himself I just have to assume I was killing him too hard and the game had to give him a buff.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
LOL I had that same thought when I beat him on Nightmare. Fight basically says NO I have this much health during these phases. YOU CANT MAKE ME HAVE LESS

I mention it in the video description, but I actually had an attempt where I KILLED the boss before it took its final form. It had no HP left. Then bam, it restored a third of its HP bar and STILL didn't go to the final form.

Finally beat him, and the complete game on Hard. I agree that the tentacle part is the easiest to dodge now, especially compared to the version that has the laser, but It still sucks to have to rely on jump attacks. I managed to find a nice sweet spot between the center and each arm where I could hit both parts at once and I basically had a 2/3 chance of finding the pearl. It was way more efficient than jump attacks, but on the shadow tentacle version, I basically couldn't use it. Toals Burst attack helped out here though.

Toals Burst attack is really useful on the final form too. Of course I saved it till the end so I could take advantage of the defense buff. Galbalan was definitely a better final boss, but Darm wasn't bad. The HP regen was a little soul crushing the first time I noticed it, but I get they did it so we had to fight Darm X amount of times (I think 5 or 6) before we got to the final form. Many of the other bosses did something similar, but they didn't use HP Regen. Perhaps if it was like the other bosses where it just shields the pearl once you did enough damage, it wouldn't look like it was cheating you.

A few story musings.
Is it ever explained how the Black Pearl made it's way back to Ys and Darm, Dalles and co. were revived? I'm also a little curious about Dark Fact and how he came out to be a bad apple. Of course hundreds of years is enough time for a kid to forget his great great great...granddad's teachings, but still.

With this I've beaten all of Xseed's Steam Falcom offerings, at least until we get Trails in the Sky SC and Ark of Nephetism. I do still have Ys 7 on PSP that I've yet to touch though. I'd start playing now but I've been getting back into EO2 and MonHun4U comes out in half a month. It'll get played eventually, of course.

Psxphile

A few story musings.
Is it ever explained how the Black Pearl made it's way back to Ys and Darm, Dalles and co. were revived?
I'm a little curious about this myself: at times it seems
there's actually two Black Pearls: the original and a smaller version that siphons some of its power and thus is able to be used to un-stone people, etc.

I'm also a little curious about Dark Fact and how he came out to be a bad apple. Of course hundreds of years is enough time for a kid to forget his great great great...granddad's teachings, but still.[/SPOILER]
This doesn't seem to be covered by the games at all but
Dark's parents were murdered for speaking out against the mining of Cleria Ore (thought to be just regular silver). He witnessed this event and as time went on he became twisted and evil, eventually unsealing the rest of the Cleria himself and unleashing the demons on Esteria. He was probably responsible for waking the Goddesses as well.

jb1234

Alright, I gave in. Bought Celceta and am gonna borrow my friend's Vita. It's a win for him because he gets to keep the game after I'm done with it. :p

Mr.Jeff

Well they are finally bringing over Ys 6 Arc of Nephetism or w/e its called so perhaps ys 7 and ys memories pc are future plans
But the PC version of Napishtim is from the release made by Falcom. For 7 and Celceta, surely they'd have to negotiate with the company that did the port and Falcom which would increase costs?

Messed around with Arena mode and unlocked Felghana Adol. Hello old friend. Although this definitely confirms that Yunica has him beat when it comes to the Fire spell. Yunica's Phoenix attack is strong, hits multiple times, a wide range when charged and has impressive knockback. Adol's Fireballs...kill the 2nd boss of Felghana pretty well at least...

Throw in the evil that is Khonsclard and my Time Attack will have to wait for another time.

I'm curious about these ex mode characters, and even more curious to get a sneak peak of Nephetism Adol before Ark of Nephetism releases later this year.

jb1234

Started Celceta and it's okay but so far, it reminds me of all the things I disliked about VII. All the gathering of materials, the easy battles (unless you boost the difficulty, in which case the enemies just take forever to kill), the longwinded dialogue. I'll stick with it because I'm a fanatic with this series but I doubt it'll be another Oath in Felghana for me.

Even the music hasn't been particularly memorable so far and that's not like Falcom at all.

Absol

Beat Claws route today. Kishgal was the one boss that gave me a really hard time.
So wasn't expecting Darm to be in this game. Hard and lengthy fight but it was fun learning all the patterns from each of his forms. Godspeed and inferno are just so way too good.

I just finished Oath in Felghana, which was my first Ys game. Had a whole ton of fun with it. A lot of the bosses gave me trouble, but the feeling of finally beating a boss after a lot of attempts is second to none. I feel like I'm going to enjoy a lot of the games in this series.

I already have a copy of Origin, so I'm going to go ahead and play that next.

I just finished Oath in Felghana, which was my first Ys game. Had a whole ton of fun with it. A lot of the bosses gave me trouble, but the feeling of finally beating a boss after a lot of attempts is second to none. I feel like I'm going to enjoy a lot of the games in this series.

You really should play Ys 1 & 2 before playing Origin, you'll be missing out on a lot if you haven't played them.

You really should play Ys 1 & 2 before playing Origin, you'll be missing out on a lot if you haven't played them.

Yeah, I thought about that, but I don't currently own 1 and 2, so I was figuring on just waiting until the next time they're on sale on Steam. I figure that I can always replay Origin afterwards. I kind of just want to continue with something while I'm in the mood.

jb1234

Yeah, I thought about that, but I don't currently own 1 and 2, so I was figuring on just waiting until the next time they're on sale on Steam. I figure that I can always replay Origin afterwards. I kind of just want to continue with something while I'm in the mood.

I played Origin before 1 and 2 and managed just fine (and personally, I found Origin a lot more fun).

play I&2 before Origin, the story of Origin(at least the last one) is amazing if you played 1 and 2.

JB2448

All right, someone let me know if this is thread-worthy.

Someone at Marvelous USA finally updated the "Games" section of the company's website, adding Senran Kagura: Shinovi Versus and Bon Appétit!, Akiba's Trip, and Brandish: The Dark Revenant. All right, that's fine. But something else changed. Take a look at the platforms listed for Ys: Memories of Celceta:
Is this a simple mistake that was made by someone screwing up Memories of Celceta with The Ark of Napishtim or something, or does it mean that we're getting that PC release of Celceta after all?

Edit: Just a mistake, never mind:
Sorry for clogging up the thread.

jb1234

Beat Celceta (which was fun enough but definitely not up to Felghana quality) and now I'm out of Ys games to play. Bummer. :(

jb1234

I didn't love Ys 1 and 2 enough to want to play them again even in the PC version I played. :p

I'll probably try Felghana at a higher difficulty. I originally beat it on Normal.

Man having played too much Kingdom Hearts though my life the idea of having a guard AND a dash button is hurting my brain. Combine that with the switch button and even with tweaking I can't find a combination I'm comfortable with. I also find it weird how you can do aerial combos via juggling but you can't actually jump in Memories of Celceta, seems like a weird thing to cut.

jb1234

I don't think I guarded once in Celceta. But I was also playing on Normal and the game was piss-easy.

I never know what difficulty to choose in Ys games because they all differ wildly. Oath gave me a real challenge on Normal, for instance.

Erheller

Man having played too much Kingdom Hearts though my life the idea of having a guard AND a dash button is hurting my brain. Combine that with the switch button and even with tweaking I can't find a combination I'm comfortable with. I also find it weird how you can do aerial combos via juggling but you can't actually jump in Memories of Celceta, seems like a weird thing to cut.

You could play some of the earlier Ys games that don't even have an attack button.

bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump

jdkluv

I don't think I guarded once in Celceta. But I was also playing on Normal and the game was piss-easy.

Lol me too, and I flash guarded the shit out in Ys Seven. The game is definitely more fun in Nightmare mode (well duh).

They really ported it to phones instead of the PSP? SMFH Falcom.

The mobile version was ported by another developer though, and it looks putrid.

ysoriginmobile-07.jpg

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Oh I just want to say playing Oath before Seven is sort of a must as well to me. One of the boss fights would not have felt as awesome otherwise :p

How much of Ys Memories Of Celceta is going to be spent wandering around this stupid forest oh my goodness this is getting annoying.

Top Bottom