• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys Community Thread | "Do you know the name Adol Christin?"

Oath In Felghana
Origins
Ys 1
Ys 2
Memories in Celceta
Ys 5

5 would have probably been ahead of Memories had the gameplay been a bit tighter and the hit detection not jank.

Psxphile

Happy First Anniversary, Ys Community Thread.

tumblr_n848ylBvA41te5p32o1_400.png

tumblr_n848ylBvA41te5p32o6_400.png

tumblr_n848ylBvA41te5p32o3_400.png

tumblr_n848ylBvA41te5p32o5_400.png

Remember when you first came to this thread? It's been quite an adventure, hasn't it?

Tizoc

You know what would've made Ys 2 less tedious? A fucking map option. Like really, just navigating is hard enough without trying to remember if each door or path has already been traversed....

Also Dulles went down like a biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitch.

You know what would've made Ys 2 less tedious? A fucking map option. Like really, just navigating is hard enough without trying to remember if each door or path has already been traversed....

Also Dulles went down like a biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitch.

Oh yeah that final main dungeon was a pain

Tizoc

Well...the whole mystery behind Ys was kinda underwhelming, but if I get it right:
The Black Pearl granted the power of magic, but it then became evil and spawned monsters and demons. In order to prevent it from spreading its evil, the Goddesses ascended much of the land of Ys/Esteria to the heavens.
EDIT: Bleh lurking the Ys wikia, seems it gets cleared up in Origin lol.

What is Cleria's role in all this?

fester

Banned
The Ys series is a weird one for me in that I own every game but have never played any of them yet. I think it goes back to wanting to play Book 1 & 2 so badly as a kid, but never having a TG-16. Now at I'm at a point in life where lack of money isn't the problem, but instead it's lack of time. Gonna try to make this happen Real Soon Now.

Psxphile

What is Cleria's role in all this?

Cleria is basically just silver that absorbed magical energy from the Black Pearl, making it super strong and versatile. But it was also responsible for spreading the demonic essence all over Ys and spawning demons so all the items made of Cleria and the unprocessed Cleria ore were sealed away underground. 700 years later, it was found and unearthed in the Rasteenie Mine, the clueless villagers thinking it was just valuable silver. So it was sold and traded all over Esteria, precipitating the return of the demon race.

Tizoc

Cleria is basically just silver that absorbed magical energy from the Black Pearl, making it super strong and versatile. But it was also responsible for spreading the demonic essence all over Ys and spawning demons so all the items made of Cleria and the unprocessed Cleria ore were sealed away underground. 700 years later, it was found and unearthed in the Rasteenie Mine, the clueless villagers thinking it was just valuable silver. So it was sold and traded all over Esteria, precipitating the return of the demon race.

I see thanks, and don't you mean Rastin Mine? Unless Rastin Mine was a part of Rasteenie mine to begin with.

jdkluv

Please go and do that? I AGREE!

Why would you even replace Takeshita's groovy as hell music in the first place? In fact, I don't really like Ys Origin SAV very much - songs like Scarlet Tempest and Silent Desert lose all their impact, and those are among my favorite Ys Origin songs! I prefer the original versions by far.

But then again, the only time I ever thought about replacing the music in an Ys game was when I wanted to change all the Redbook tracks from Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys for the J.D.K. Special versions. :V

Thud

In the last few years I played a lot of Ys games (this was the order I played them in I think)

Ys Seven
Ys Oath in Felghana
Ys I & II Chronicles
Ys Origins
Ys Memories of Celceta

Looking forward to Ys 8 and of course the steam release of Ys VI. Love the music and adventures. Probably one of my favorite series.

Tizoc

So for a while I've been wondering about Feena and Reah and how limited their powers are, and it occurs to me that as Goddesses, they use their powers for protection and creation rather than destruction, which would explain why they don't seem to attack any of the demons or destroy anything.

For that matter, does every region of Ys' world have its own creation legend? Ys and Esteria have the twin goddesses, Altago has the dragons, etc.

Tizoc

I take it I am close to finishing Yunica's route in Origin?
i just finished Rado's Annex and am about to go to the upper levels.

Tizoc

Why is it when I go read up on Ys 4 SNES and PC Engine, the wikis describe their stroies having differences yet they barely mention what those differences are? lol.

For that matter, what if the new Ys game takes place before his trip to Celceta? You can see Dogi in the reveal trailer from last year so maybe it takes place after 2, then Adol goes back to visit Minea Port and from there go to Celceta.

Why is it when I go read up on Ys 4 SNES and PC Engine, the wikis describe their stroies having differences yet they barely mention what those differences are? lol.

For that matter, what if the new Ys game takes place before his trip to Celceta? You can see Dogi in the reveal trailer from last year so maybe it takes place after 2, then Adol goes back to visit Minea Port and from there go to Celceta.

New Ys game takes place during Ys 5 and 6. :p

Does it? Speaking of that game, when the heck are Falcom gonna drop new info on it @_@

Yes, it does! We've been told to expect former character(s) to appear too. Not sure in what capacity though, probably Terra and her dad.

Yeah, i'm starving for some information too. It's supposed to release this year. Come on Falcom, give us some nuggets.

The differences are MAINLY gameplay, but they are there. Dawn of Ys pretty much retreads the structure and story of Ys II, makes Eldiel a putz, and focuses more on Lefance and his priests. Mask is a bit more straightforward, makes Eldiel the bad guy, and treads a bit more new ground storywise. Most like Dawn better, I think honestly Mask is my preferred version of the two.

Tizoc

Ack the boss in Creeper's chamber is kicking my ass.
I figured a useful strategy though so will deal with him later after I get a good night's sleep :p

Tizoc

I like how Ys Origin has bosses from Ys 1 as a throwback, but what's up with them having somewhat drastic design differences? Like the giant mantis boss being 2 monsters fused together as opposed to...being a giant mantis in Ys 1?

I like how Ys Origin has bosses from Ys 1 as a throwback, but what's up with them having somewhat drastic design differences? Like the giant mantis boss being 2 monsters fused together as opposed to...being a giant mantis in Ys 1?

Pictimos always looked like one giant mantis to me. But yeah, the redesigns were quite substantial in some cases. I don't mind them though, it helps give them an improved moveset.

Plus, I guess it shows off how menacing they can be in looks, they resemble more like monsters now or demons. :p

Tizoc

Yeah, all things considered though, they have simple designs in Ys mainly because of the era the game was released in and that who would've thought an actual prequel to the first 2 games would ever be made :p

Tizoc

Just finished Yunica's story.
Starting Hugo's now.

Man the plot of the Ys legend is rather confusing me, but I'll hold off asking until after I've beaten all 3 routes.

Tizoc

So I've made it past the sand area's boss in Ys Origin as Hugo. Really enjoyed the creeper battle as him, but really his entire mode would've been a lot more tolerable if there were a twin stick shooter control option :p

It also just occurred to me that all the events leading to Ys Origin took place over the course of months or years lol.

Yes, it does! We've been told to expect former character(s) to appear too. Not sure in what capacity though, probably Terra and her dad.

Personally I'm dying for all this "Knight Elena" teasing to finally have some payoff, but the "between Kefin and Napishtim" time-frame still seems a little soon for that - if they do it, it strikes me as a post-Seven reveal (as not only does the Brave Sword need to wash up on the shoes of Redmont, but Berhardt would need to train her, too).

Still looking forward to seeing who shows up, because it sounds like it'll be more substantial than just the Dogi cameo. Might they actually put Lilia in a new game after, like, twenty years?! :O

(Lilia's in the earlier versions of IV, for the curious.)

Top Bottom