• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana |OT| Two Systems, Two Heroes, One BIG HOLE

ys45

Still at chapter 5 after a week, I must have played like 14 hours on this chapter lol.
I'm trying to do every quest (which I think I succeeded) I bought all gifts and gave them to everyone.

I did all
Dana's dungeon and quests
I could for this chapter.
How much reputation do you need to get the true ending? I'm currently at 162 .

birdythemighty

Neo Member
Still at chapter 5 after a week, I must have played like 14 hours on this chapter lol.
I'm trying to do every quest (which I think I succeeded) I bought all gifts and gave them to everyone.

I did all
Dana's dungeon and quests
I could for this chapter.
How much reputation do you need to get the true ending? I'm currently at 162 .

PS4 is 200, Vita is 150.

Getting towards the end of the game. I'm in Chapter
and am running around, I think I screwed myself out of one character journal entry though. BOO! I hate missing those.

Anyway. The translation is still horrible. Protip to NIS localizers: If something sounds asinine in English especially if it will be spoken in dialog, use a damned thesaurus, or be creative and change it to something that sounds actually like someone would say it in regular conversations. It's ok to get creative.

The worst examples are:

The Great Tree of Beginnings
Notions
Energy
Ancient Species

All of those are used CONSTANLY, and they all sound like garbage. Coupled with the dry dialog translation you get stuff like:

"OH no! The Ancient Species are attacking!"
"But it seems to be a new Ancient Species!"
"The Ancient Species are everywhere!"

all in one conversation.

It's grating, and a definite step down from XSEED's work.

Also I did Dana's final(?) memory and man
the death of Mia got me right in the feels. Yeah killing kids is emotionally exploitative, but holy shit. I never expected to actually see the aftermath of everyone in Eternia dying a slow hopeless death.
Rastel's end was tragic too.

Mr.Jeff

Sanctuary Ruins is taking *ages*. I just hope I don't run out of consumables! Currently on
Layer 4
It's.....
same length as Dana's dungeon in the regular game. The next save point is at the same place as the last save point in her dungeon. If you leave, you have to fight the midbosses again.

Anyone know where to get cabbage seeds?

I think it's loot from the chest which
spawns every so often by the beach in the Village

It's.....
same length as Dana's dungeon in the regular game. The next save point is at the same place as the last save point in her dungeon. If you leave, you have to fight the midbosses again.

Ngh. Might just start relying on level up dings as heals and being more selective about what I bother to fight >_> Ta for the info.

xD at that one tricksy chest on
Layer 5
!

Saphirax

Getting towards the end of the game. I'm in Chapter
and am running around, I think I screwed myself out of one character journal entry though. BOO! I hate missing those.

Anyway. The translation is still horrible. Protip to NIS localizers: If something sounds asinine in English especially if it will be spoken in dialog, use a damned thesaurus, or be creative and change it to something that sounds actually like someone would say it in regular conversations. It's ok to get creative.

The worst examples are:

The Great Tree of Beginnings
Notions
Energy
Ancient Species

All of those are used CONSTANLY, and they all sound like garbage. Coupled with the dry dialog translation you get stuff like:

"OH no! The Ancient Species are attacking!"
"But it seems to be a new Ancient Species!"
"The Ancient Species are everywhere!"

all in one conversation.

It's grating, and a definite step down from XSEED's work.

Also I did Dana's final(?) memory and man
the death of Mia got me right in the feels. Yeah killing kids is emotionally exploitative, but holy shit. I never expected to actually see the aftermath of everyone in Eternia dying a slow hopeless death.
Rastel's end was tragic too.

In regards to Dana’s last memory, I have a feeling I missed something.
What happened with Rastel? In my game Dana left Eternia and in the next scene she returned all alone. I’ve no clue what happened. Did I accidentally skip something?

In regards to Dana’s last memory, I have a feeling I missed something.
What happened with Rastel? In my game Dana left Eternia and in the next scene she returned all alone. I’ve no clue what happened. Did I accidentally skip something?

I missed this too. My solution: Warp back to village before
Theos de Endogram
fight.

I did. Definitely finished Dana’s last memory too, but there was nothing there about
Rastel and Mia’s fates.

Yeah, nothing that you could call satisfactory, certainly. Doubly so in case of Rastel. But seeing that memory filled his final memo for me so I am guessing that's his lot.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
So by the time Adol retries from life
How many goddesses are gonna be into him also Adol totally doesn't hook up with anyone he is clearly smitten with Dana :p
*spoilers for ending *

I did. Definitely finished Dana’s last memory too, but there was nothing there about
Rastel and Mia’s fates.

Turns out it was the 2nd to last memory I was talking about.
Mia dies in the meteor attack. She dies saving her sister, which breaks her mother, and even Sia is clinging to life. It also makes it seem like Rastel is gonna die.

Now according to the end of that memory, as well as stuff hinted at in the actual last memory
everyone dies anyway. Which makes sense. When Dana returns to seal herself, she is alone, and she mentioned that everyone else was gone.

and the True Ending
makes it all moot anyway as we find out that we're essentially playing a remake of Link's awakening, and it was all a dream or some shit.

So I'm clear. The optional dungeon for Dana is only in the PS4 version right? I would then also assume that the final memory is PS4 exclusive as well?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
and the True Ending
makes it all moot anyway as we find out that we're essentially playing a remake of Link's awakening, and it was all a dream or some shit.

That's not what is going on, that was all real and existed, the world as they know it is forever in the goddesses dream that's their reality, when you beat the "last boss"
adol and dana's will is so great that it forces the goddess to awake thus basically erasing the world normally, but dana's actions were so strong that the goddess was able to remember the dream and basically recreated the world based on the fact she remembered the dream. If the goddess ever wakes up again everything will be erased once more,
so she made dana the goddess of life to watch over things and make sure nothing will ever happen that will wake her because the thing she had in place before fucked up with it's actions of killing life before it got the chance to thrive on it's own which caused life to rebel

Or something like that

Saphirax

Turns out it was the 2nd to last memory I was talking about.
Mia dies in the meteor attack. She dies saving her sister, which breaks her mother, and even Sia is clinging to life. It also makes it seem like Rastel is gonna die.

Now according to the end of that memory, as well as stuff hinted at in the actual last memory
everyone dies anyway. Which makes sense. When Dana returns to seal herself, she is alone, and she mentioned that everyone else was gone.

and the True Ending

So I'm clear. The optional dungeon for Dana is only in the PS4 version right? I would then also assume that the final memory is PS4 exclusive as well?

Yeah, makes sense. Thought I missed something :p. And yes, the dungeon is PS4 exclusive. Not sure about the memory though.

sibarraz

Banned
Today I bought a PS4 pro with this game

Impressions

- Kudos to NISA for the day one edition, in an era were manuals are no longer a thing isncool that they replaced it with an artbook, without increasing the cost of the game

- The boxart is one of the most beautiful that I have ever seen, and the fact that they made it reversible so I could remove the day one label plus change the back of the box makes it better.

- GODDAMN THE TITLE SCREEN IS SO BEAUTIFUL WITH THE MUSIC AND ON 4K. Is been a long time since I actually stared at the Title Screen without any hurry of pressing start, which actually lead me to...

- GODDAMN THE OPENING MOVIE IS SO AWESOME. I love the 80's inspired anime intros that falcom does, abd this must be the best one. The music is very touching and really tells yiu that you are about to see an epic adventure, which...

- GODDAMN THIS GAME IS SO BEAUTIFUL AT 4K AND ON 60 FPS. Even though is very obvious that the vita limitations play a big toll on this game, the increased resolution mixed with the beautifil colors and the stable high framerate makes me found this game more impressive than Destiny 2 for me (Which also came with the console) Does this game supports HDR?

- I love that now most of the characters have voicelines and the fact that even Adol has one makes it even better.

- the controls are great, and is great that it makes full use of the DS4, the game is more easy to play that Celcets on the vita. And speaking of it, Is being a littlr hard to me to get used of this controls, since I beated Celceta 2 weeks ago.

I have 2 hours of gameplay and Im in love with this game, it was an awesome purchase

Seems I'm missing Pirate's Memo No 2. Checked Google and no luck. Anyone care point me in the right direction?

edit: nvm. Think I've found its loc via NeoSeeker guide. (Somewhere in Eroded Valley.)

Found the second memo. Turns out I probably did u-turn upon seeing the location in question only contained a harvest item. Had I ran a bit further in I'd have also seen the blue diamond on the mini map, that and a companion would have remarked on "someone" being there. Oh well.

So i found a cave and i can't see shit in there.

Do i get an item for dark places later or something?

Yup.

This is what I've got remaining collection wise:

1 arms/armour - No idea. I've collected all chests, including Sanctuary Ruins and bought all the items from the 4 village vendors.
3 accessories - That many?! See above.
1 person memo -
Shoebill; saving bestest to lastest.
1 monster -
Um, penultimate boss?

Edit: Hmm. Maybe missing arms/armour/accessories are connected to infiltration and or suppression? Holy crap! If they're S class related then there's no chance of my attaining them D,: xD

Mr.Jeff

This is what I've got remaining collection wise:

1 arms/armour - No idea. I've collected all chests, including Sanctuary Ruins and bought all the items from the 4 village vendors.
3 accessories - That many?! See above.
1 person memo -
Shoebill; saving bestest to lastest.
1 monster -
Um, penultimate boss?

Edit: Hmm. Maybe missing arms/armour/accessories are connected to infiltration and or suppression? Holy crap! If they're S class related then there's no chance of my attaining them D,: xD
One of the options from the merchant girl is to exchange some fishing thing for accessories. Be sure to get those.

Also any items requiring S suppressions are only in
the first batch of suppressions. Not the ridiculous ones that appear before the last dungeon

One of the options from the merchant girl is to exchange some fishing thing for accessories. Be sure to get those.

the first batch of suppressions. Not the ridiculous ones that appear before the last dungeon

!

The one thing I didn't double, triple and quadruple check >_<' Ta!

So, I just completed the game and noticed that my map competition is stuck at 99%. I've got all the treasures and items and every place I look says 100%. Is the last bit in the bonus dungeon or am I just missing something?

So, I just completed the game and noticed that my map competition is stuck at 99%. I've got all the treasures and items and every place I look says 100%. Is the last bit in the bonus dungeon or am I just missing something?

Hmm. I don't think so as mine is showing 100% and I'm currently on a reloaded game where I've yet to take on penultimate boss.
Your Explored Areas section definitely showing everything as 100%? Have you done Sanctuary Ruins? (It doesn't show up in Explored Areas in Journal so not sure it counts...)

Just missing the 1 armour/arms now! Ta again. :D <3

Uh-oh! Seems like the one monster I am missing is in Submerged Cemetery. I have Bunymembo (variant of mob which is a shell+tubes and its weak point appears out of shell on top) and the only other creature down there are the zombie fish. So what the heck am I missing?!

EDIT: OH! Zash GET!
I hadn't equipped the Purifying Bell when attacking zomb fishies xD

EDIT: Spoiler free clue: The hint is in the mob type.

Saphirax

Uh-oh! Seems like the one monster I am missing is in Submerged Cemetery. I have Bunymembo (variant of mob which is a shell+tubes and its weak point appears out of shell on top) and the only other creature down there are the zombie fish. So what the heck am I missing?!

You’re missing the fish. Was also the last enemy missing for me.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Hmm, I'm in the middle of chapter 4 and it seems that save/teleport crystals are much more spread out, lately.

Hmm. I don't think so as mine is showing 100% and I'm currently on a reloaded game where I've yet to take on penultimate boss.
Your Explored Areas section definitely showing everything as 100%? Have you done Sanctuary Ruins? (It doesn't show up in Explored Areas in Journal so not sure it counts...)

I ended up finding it. It was a tiny corner of the map at the very top of Baha Tower.

And I got the platinum trophy. Granted it wasn't bad or too time consuming since I already got the trophies for time played as a certain character or all skills mastered before beating the game.

If anything, damn those endless interceptions. Felt like I was playing a dynasty warriors game with adol at level 95 and enemies falling at incredible speed. Didn't make it less tedious though.

I had luck with the monsters journal as I had two missing and I found them pretty quickly. For the accesories I was missing the one that glutton cat gives you.

Again, amazing game and I will probably give it another go in pc with the patched translation.

What are endless interceptions? I haven't done the first one but what's different compared to regular ones?

They are simply very long and tedious interceptions. We are talking of 6-9 waves of enemies taking their time to appear.

I should add that that I did them after clearing the bonus dungeon and with my party at level 90+ and 98% of the game completed, so maybe if you go with lower levels they are more fun to complete.

Edit: The last one you unlock isn't needed for the trophy, and I think the recommended level is 99. It shows an image of the 80 level boss at the silent tower. I haven't tried to do it, maybe tomorrow I will give it a go.

Top Bottom