• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana |OT| Two Systems, Two Heroes, One BIG HOLE

Wagram

The Franz sidequest is some garbage tier shit. Unblockable knockdown and you can get hit through flash guard while on the ground.

Dark Link

The Franz sidequest is some garbage tier shit. Unblockable knockdown and you can get hit through flash guard while on the ground.

Even outside the sidequest, the "Knockdown Roar" is the dumbest mechanic ever in the game, because you can't do anything about it and often it would lead to your active character dying cause of it.
I got super frustrated near the end of the game, because it would happen constantly.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
This game certainly has a unique take on
evolution.
haha

Could you imagine if this actually happened?
It kinda did I mean not in the high fantasy way they go about it but look up
all of earth's mass extinction events there are a bunch

Just wrapped it up including the bonus dungeon. I was about to put the game away, but i'm glad I at least tried out that dungeon since it's by far the most enjoyable from a combat perspective. Just due to just how chaotic it is at times. There's really nothing else like it in the game.

Anyway, my final stats

ysviii-lacrimosaofdanb1s0c.png

By that point Laxia could make most enemies melt pretty easily. But I still appreciate that they let you manipulate the main stats that much.

Bladenic

Holy shit at that strength stat.

Laxia is super fun to play as but mine has pretty low strength (but super fast). Wonder she stacks up against Karna and can't remember her name from Seven (they were both pretty good too).

Need to invest in more capes. I have the one that gives bonuses based on kills and it's the best accessory I have. Need to get more and the other two too.

sibarraz

Banned
I finished Ys Celceta last week.

The jump from that game to ys 8 on a ps4 pro on a 4k tv felt almost like jumping 2 gens of consoles, both from a performance and gameplay point of view

Usobuko

Banned
I finished Ys Celceta last week.

The jump from that game to ys 8 on a ps4 pro on a 4k tv felt almost like jumping 2 gens of consoles, both from a performance and gameplay point of view

Lol, I finished Ys celceta this year and this sounds very appealing.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Really enjoying this so far (about 6 hours in). I know I'm nowhere near done, but I'm already looking ahead to Tokyo Xanadu eX+. I know they're not exactly the same, but after this I'm definitely going to need more Falcom in my life.

Finally finished with the game, definitely enjoyed it, although the week I took off from playing kind of made it lose a bit of steam for me lol. I guess I must not have gone back to the village enough times and missed some side quests since I wasn't able to max out approval for about 8 characters. Although it actually looks like I'm pretty close to getting all of the trophies, depending on how much I'm able to carry over with NG+ I might go back to this someday soon (after this deluge of new games coming out in the next few months) to go for the plat.

Even outside the sidequest, the "Knockdown Roar" is the dumbest mechanic ever in the game, because you can't do anything about it and often it would lead to your active character dying cause of it.
I got super frustrated near the end of the game, because it would happen constantly.

I have no idea what the were thinking. I hated the last night search because of that. (Granted, when I came back prepared I had a better time, but still)

I am on Chapter 5 (30 hours in) and I don't want the game to end so I deliberately stopped playing. Guess one day I will finish it, but for now I'll play Sen No Kiseki III

Derkon

Really enjoying this so far (about 6 hours in). I know I'm nowhere near done, but I'm already looking ahead to Tokyo Xanadu eX+. I know they're not exactly the same, but after this I'm definitely going to need more Falcom in my life.

Yeah same here, just wish we could get a release date on eX+.

Chapter 6
It's revelation time. How the hell did Dana notice that it's Sarai?

Only need to catch some fishes and collect some missed chests before finishing the game.

Got all hyped once I maxed Adol, Laxia and Sahad's skills, only to then recall Team B's existence. ¬_¬

Still, shouldn't take all that long using +4 (3?) skills exp gear and skill bar bonuses during interceptions. I'm just glad they level up without their needing to hit anything.

jorgeton

About halfway through I think, and really blown away by how great this is. Though I should not be so surprised because Falcom can make a damn good game and Ys games are consistently top notch.

As a nerd who loves mapping stuff in RPGs, this is the game for me. I also really love how well designed the island is. It feels cohesive and alive. You can go to one corner of the map, look around, and really have a sense of where you came from and where you need to go.

Playing on hard and it feels just right. Just enough friction that I have to play better, worry about health potion management, and do some lite grinding, but not so tough where its not fun or I feel like I'm wasting time. I usually hate hard-mode in RPGs, because its usually inflated enemy health bars, so everything takes 2x as long to kill. Aint nobody got time for that. This feels right. Enemies go down fast, but they pack a punch.

Music is awesome, as per usual, and part of the joy of finding a new zone is seeing what the music is going to be.

I agree with folks about the translation though.. it's so dry. And despite that, it's gotten a chuckle or two out of me. Adol's potential dickish responses to things are funny, he's done it all and seen it all. But a localization with a little more personality would have really elevated everything. That said, it's not terrible.. just noticeable at points.

Anyway, I'm very happy with how this turned out. Solid game and I hope anyone with even a passing interest in action RPGs is picking this up.

Bladenic

Honestly I can't take anything about the translation seriously after Archeozoic BIG HOLE. Like, crater would've worked but somehow BIG HOLE was chosen.

Looks like I'm right in front of the final boss. Just got the trophies for every chest and 100% the map.

Can I still finish stuff after that fight?
Seems like I'm missing one last Dana Quest, but can not see anything on the map. Dana's Virtue is at 100.
Reputation at 238.
There are no side quests left at the moment. Only new interceptions (a new one pops up after doing one.)

Journal says I finished 37/38 Village Quests.
Also 10/11 Eternia quests.

Also missing some memos and approval:

Dana: Memo 3 and 4
Licht: memo 2 and 3 + last approval star
Kashu: memo 2 and 3 + last approval star
Griselda: memo 2 and 3 + last approval star
Paro: memo 3
Shoebill: memo 3
Rastell: memo 2
Io: memo 2

Do I even need all memos for the platinum trophy?

Eusis

Honestly I can't take anything about the translation seriously after Archeozoic BIG HOLE. Like, crater would've worked but somehow BIG HOLE was chosen.
Falcom's original English name was Crevice of the Archeozoic Age or at least SOMETHING that used crevice rather than BIG HOLE.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Is this something I should get for PS4 or is the Vita version pretty good?

Edit: NM. read the OP. PS4 it is.

Thud

I'm probably way underleveled right now in chapter 6.

Ice corridor and the minos boss is ten levels higher :p

Okay finished some stuff, but still don't know the rest. Still need some approval and memos.

Dana: Memo 4 (maybe after the true ending?)
Licht: Last approval Star and memo 2 and 3

That's it.
I know you get the last memos of Paro and Shoebill after the true ending.

I'm only missing Goliathis now, which supposed to be either in ocean corridor or lonely island. But I have had no luck so far.

Can anyone who already has that fish probably tell me where they caught it?

Edit: Nm. Found it.

Ending spoiler
Dana forever!

Overall I really enjoyed my time with the game. There aren't many games that give me a sense of adventure.

I guess I'll play Ys I & 2 on steam and then play origin.

Top Bottom