• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yu Suzuki and Mark Cerny talk Shenmue III strategy?!

Let it die, I'm sick of people bringing up shenmue, my heart cant take it anymore. I litreally wanna smack someone everytime they bump a shenmue thread with no information. I really dont think this photo is news worthy and yes im bitter. It sucks to be a shenmue fan.

openrob

Right who bumped this thread and got me all excited!

I have seen this thread before - but seeing the title makes me super excited...only to be (slightly) let down. Hope that Yu find's someone to invest in Shenmue this year.

ajim

Lol looks like a nice lunch regardless.

Who are the other folk in the photo? I don't recognise everyone.

PranooY

Lol looks like a nice lunch regardless.

Who are the other folk in the photo? I don't recognise everyone.

There is Kim Swift (creator of Portal) and Richard Lemarchand (Art or Design Director of Uncharted 2) in the photo. Don't know the other folks.

And I don't think they would discuss Shenmue 3 during this lunch. Coz they came here for gamelab talks.

Eggbok

my hope:
Shenmue HD PS3/Vita
Shenmue III PS4 or
Shenmue Complete PS4 with 1/2 HD on the disc of 3

will never happen.

There is Kim Swift (creator of Portal) and Richard Lemarchand (Art or Design Director of Uncharted 2) in the photo. Don't know the other folks.

And I don't think they would discuss Shenmue 3 during this lunch. Coz they came here for gamelab talks.

I think thats also Seth Luisi at the bottom left. Former Socom 4 director. That guy was pretty much a punching bag after the Socom 4 downfall. Seems its just lunch from what i see but who knows.

Measley

Considering how amazing Shenmue was on the Dreamcast, I could only imagine what they could do with Shenmue 3 with current consoles.

Kickstarter this right now!

OmegaDL50

While the idea intrigues me.

I'm not going to fall into the hype.

If It happens, great. I can finally see what happened after Shenmue II
especially with that terribly vague cliffhanger ending.

I got lots of games on my plate as it is right now. Maybe if this game comes around to getting a release, I'll have a substantial portion of my backlog cleared.

Trojan X

Banned
I really hope not. I'd rather have the spirit of the old games to be about Ryo's journey than super realistic graphics. ...

You say that but you've forgotten that it was Shenmue that spear headed a new benchmark of graphical fidelity and a new way of playing games at the time of release.

Graphics are important for Shenmue, but, of course, the game's core mechanics, in-depth designs, and the unraveling of the story were all massive factors along with those graphics that made the game what it is - utter immersion. So, this means that no matter what, Shenmue 3 has to look good in consideration if it is being made today and not in the yesterdays. I.e. Don't worry, the spirit of Shenmue will live.

.. Besides, that would take too long to develop and I want it NOW.

Heh, no argument there. After all, look at my avatar.

Shenmue Next Gen Potential

3270220040804_122437_4_big.jpg

shenmueonline1_small.jpg

ryo_hazuki__shenmue_online.jpg

AzureEternal

Neo Member
I'd be okay with just an HD port of the first two games.

At any rate, like someone else mentioned, my heart can't take all the Shenmue teasing. It just...hurts.

Personally, I think if this meal has any meaning and Yosp is bankrolling a Yu Suzuki game, they would probably be better making a spiritual successor to Shenmue rather than Shenmue 3/reboot. A vocal minority online might lobby for the series to come back, but in the grand scheme of things it wouldn't be a big hardware seller and to do the series justice would probably be very expensive.

Koppai

Well since we can't get Yakuza games ill take this in its place. But a Shenmue HD collection would be welcome for PS3 since I don't have the games on Dreamcast.

clem84

Gold Member
Maybe they could Kickstarter Shenmue I+II HD remaster along with a slew a different collector's editions (because this is kickstarter after all) so that everyone would get what they want. If that goes well, they could do another KS for Shenmue 3. With the cult following the franchise has, it could work.

Thought this was a new thread!

ibfUxOMZNyEFYD.gif

I never played the games. give me the run down on Shenmue and why people are so eager to see a third game.

It’s still completely unmatched when it comes to atmosphere and immersion. I can’t even put it into words to describe how engrossed I was. It's the kind of game where it's not the story, it's not the gameplay, but it's the experience and how patience rewards you. You can't play Shenmue with adrenaline pumping, you need to sit down, relax and enter a world where progress is slow, but where your discoveries, the people you meet, the lessons you learn, the adventure that unfolds will truly stay with you for a lifetime. The soundtrack is also a gift from God. Shenmue is an absolute masterpiece that’ll probably never be topped.

yurinka

Both Kim Swift, Shu Yoshida, Yu Suzuki and others from the pics are guests of Gamelab, where this year they come to speak in some conferences or receive special awards. One of the guys of the pic is the president of Gamelab, and the other is the CEO of Novarama (creator of Invizimals, a SCE game so Yoshida is their boss), a Barcelona based studio. Gamelab is being held in Barcelona this week.

People like Tim Schaffer, Keiji Inafune,Rami Ismail or Dong Nguyen also are going to assist, so they could appear in a photo like that. Doesn't mean anything related to Shenmue 3.

Fun fact: BlitWorks, the company who ported Sonic CD or Jet Set Radio to modern consoles (plus Fez Vita, Spelunky Vita or OlliOlli PS4/PS3) is from Barcelona too.

Nozem

Not to oversell it, but it's everything: An adventure game, a simulator, a fighter, a racing game, a QTE game, all wrapped up in a murder mystery story with awesome graphics and music.

Keep in mind it predates GTA 3 and just about every 3D open world game.
This sounds impossibly expensive for a next gen game.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
On topic though, an HD collection of 1&2 would be really cool as a build up to III being released shortly there after.
What if no 3 is released afterwards? So many peeps asking for remakes an getting pumped up for nothin'! Or they pull a Yakuza by leaving both the remakes and sequel in Japan >.>

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Just make shenmue, by this I mean have it include include 1 & 2 then add three to the end , remake the shenmue games for hd , so it's is a self contained trilogy

Or make three and include 1 & 2 with the bundle ,
I am sure no matter how dear I hold this game the first two instalments much not have aged so well by now.

But until it is announced who knows

Top Bottom