• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yu Suzuki and Mark Cerny talk Shenmue III strategy?!

Empty

i'm a little suprised yu suzuki is actually at gdc. i just want him to make something really. it'd be cool if he did what cerny is doing with knack, returning to an earlier design age, and made some new arcadey games for psn/xbla/steam.

Ash_69

I would buy a ps4 if Shenmue 3 is created exclusively for it. However I'm so used to being disappointed, my expectations will not get raised until I see it on shelves (i.e. possibly never :( ).

KiNeSiS

Banned
Enough cock-teasing already. Yu needs to quietly retire.

You disrespectful fuck Yu Suzuki was dropping hot shit while you were just dropping dookie in your diaper.
Gamers these days just minimize the true innovators who built this industry.
I hear the same type of talk about Miyamoto.
Sometimes I agree about Shiggs, nevertheless he will always be the best. Yu is semi retired anyway why say things like that?

Sony really should throw cash at SEGA for a PS4 exclusive Streets of Rage. That would be a megaton far beyond Bayonetta 2.

KiNeSiS

Banned
I really want someone to coerce Sega to dip into their forgotten gold mine, Since they for the most part have forgotten what they are sitting on. That or Sammy stays cockblockin.

man what the fuck has this dude been up to. at least michel ancel gets to make a game once in a while but it feels like these studios have these dudes locked up in cages. in favor of shitty sonic and assassins creed games. fuck gaming yo!

One can only dream...
But either way, it's cool that Cerny acknowledges Yu with the respect he deserves. Sony is very lucky to have him on-board. Best decision they made in years.

Shion

Well, Sony would be the only publisher in this industry willing to invest money in Shenmue.

I want to believe.

Shinta

Banned
A0tLDMS.png

And Cliffy responds:

Cliff Bleszinski ‏@therealcliffyb 2h
MEGATON ALERT TEH GAF "@megganpez: Mark Cerny & Yu Suzuki talking strategy for Shenmue III. For reals you guys.

Sony just hit my g-spot.

Holyyyyyyyyyy shit, this is crazy. The first urban sandbox, years ahead of GTA III, now coming back?

Mark Cerny is turning into my favorite person ever.

I will not believe until I have the game and am playing it.
I've just been hurt so much in the past :(

Holyyyyyyyyyy shit, this is crazy. The first urban sandbox, years ahead of GTA III, now coming back?

It sounds so dirty and pedestrian when you put it that way. You know Shenmue deserves better.

Shinta

Banned
It sounds so dirty and pedestrian when you put it that way. You know Shenmue deserves better.

I don't get it. It's one of the most popular genres today. Shenmue was so ahead of its time. Not only was it a giant sandbox, but you could open every single drawer in Ryo's house and pick up clothing. The game was wayyyyyyyyyyy ahead of its time. Games like Sleeping Dogs are just now catching up.

I don't get it. It's one of the most popular genres today. Shenmue was so ahead of its time. Not only was it a giant sandbox, but you could open every single drawer in Ryo's house and pick up clothing. The game was wayyyyyyyyyyy ahead of its time. Games like Sleeping Dogs are just now catching up.

I was half-kidding, but Shenmue is nothing like GTA or any GTA clone. Shenmue's world is meant to be wandered about slowly, enjoying the sights and the sense of life. GTA et. al. are literally just big sandboxes filled with stuff to do, and the sense of a living space is just shallow window dressing. (And don't get me wrong, I'm a huge GTA fan.) Shenmue is about the world itself.

KiNeSiS

Banned

This man knows what's up.

Never played Shenmue.Is it like the Yakuza games?

Is this a real post or are you trolling?

There are people who will say Yazuka is the new Shenmue, but the similarities between the two series are skin deep. You play a Japanese guy who walks around an "open world" and sometimes fights people, but that's where the similarities end.

EDIT: v What he said!

Himself

Never played Shenmue.Is it like the Yakuza games?

It shares many similarities, but it's a much slower, more personal, less over the top experience. I think there's like two fights in the entire first game and ou spend most of the time drinking sodas out of vending machines and driving a forklift for a living. It's great!

Milchjon

It shares many similarities, but it's a much slower, more personal, less over the top experience. I think there's like two fights in the entire first game and ou spend most of the time drinking sodas out of vending machines and driving a forklift for a living. It's great!

You're making it sound like a shit game.

There are plenty fights, it's still a martial arts RPG underneath all that sandbox adventure.

I'm just not excited for this because I haven't played the previous games. If Sega could offer some way to do that on hardware I own though... nudge nudge... wink wink..

KageMaru

I've said it before, I'll say it again, I'll buy whatever system a proper Shenmue III game (or even real remakes of the first ones) is released one. Heck, I'll buy it twice just to be sure.
Not that I believe it's ever going to happen :/

Yup, said the same in the past. Any console, handheld, platform that has shenmue 3 will be mine day one.

Cerny really does deserve all the praise and hype he's getting if he actually is going out of his way to use his position of power to make Shenmue III a reality.

Top Bottom