• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yu Suzuki: Shenmue 3 Funding and Budget Statement

ReBurn

Gold Member
I'm honestly confused as to why people keep saying this. I have backed over 80 Kickstarter video game projects and the project budget is always disclosed as part of either the initial campaign or the updates a few days later. All the campaign creators have had to say all along is "We need $X to make the game we want to make and that the fans will want and we have $X commitment from outside sources and we need the fans to commit to $X". Nobody is asking for a specific disclosure of how much Sony is giving or whatever this other entity mentioned in the update is giving. I've personally backed at the $300 level, but I won't up my pledge or encourage others to do so without some better idea of how much is really needed. This vague $5M and $10M goal is pretty useless and isn't going to encourage an outpouring of support without a real campaign and engagement of the fans behind it.

It's weird how none of the kickstarters I've ever backed have provided detailed budgets and funding sources. Only "we think it will take x amount to build the game that we want to make." I suppose we've just had different experiences.

trOOly

Neo Member
I can't speak for anyone else, but I didn't find this scale of drop off surprising in the slightest.

I too expected that drop-off. No way they'd keep averaging $800,000 per day of funding. But I really thought the community, as big and vocal as it is, would manage to keep the daily funding above $80,000 per day - which, looking back, seems like another silly assumption of mine backed up on "useless" data.

What I found in looking through forums like NeoGAF is that many people were looking to fund the project even though they didn't play it. Heck, I played it when I was 8 and I don't recall much of the story but I did back it up anyway. But people who were wary of Sony's part in the Kickstarter became even more sensible to it after the first "opinionated" articles and videos hit; and even some Shenmue faithfuls felt the same. I have no doubt it was one the reasons why funding dropped from $90,000+ in a day to less than $58,000 in the next one. That and a lack of traction from the team managing the Kickstarter.

But now that things are much clearer, I can see that it'd take at least 100,000 backers spending up to $100 medium each on the project so it could reach the $10 million mark, and Shenmue really don't have that kind of appeal. Reality sucks sometimes.

Soi-Fong

I was under the impression that Shenmue 3 needs at least $10 million to be as big as either of the first 2 Shenmues. Anything less and it will be a smaller game than either.

At least I'm pretty sure that's what he is saying.

Honestly, I think the game will be fine hitting 5+ million. The main thing really is the story gets its conclusion that we've been waiting for so long.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
It's like people can't read. It's really embarrassing. They just see the 10 mill and nothing else.

People seem to need it in like 10 word giant bullet points so.

I NEED $2 million to make this at all.

I WOULD LIKE
$5 million to make this.

I DREAM OF $10 million to try new revolutionary things.

I was under the impression that Shenmue 3 needs at least $10 million to be as big as either of the first 2 Shenmues. Anything less and it will be a smaller game than either.

No, 10 million to make it open world. 1 and 2 weren't even close to having that kind of scope.

Soi-Fong

People seem to need it in like 10 word giant bullet points so.

I NEED $2 million to make this at all.

I WOULD LIKE
$5 million to make this.

I DREAM OF $10 million to try new revolutionary things.

I'm pretty sure a lot of fans are dreaming of a foresty open-world China sorta setting. That would be amazing thinking about it.
Also, for the people who keep on going to the budget of 1 and 2, remember those games were completely revolutionary when they came out.

I've said this before in another thread, but I still don't know how I feel about an open world Shenmue. I hope he gets as much funding as possible, though.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
I too expected that drop-off. No way they'd keep averaging $800,000 per day of funding. But I really thought the community, as big and vocal as it is, would manage to keep the daily funding above $80,000 per day - which, looking back, seems like another silly assumption of mine backed up on "useless" data.

What I found in looking through forums like NeoGAF is that many people were looking to fund the project even though they didn't play it. Heck, I played it when I was 8 and I don't recall much of the story but I did back it up anyway. But people who were wary of Sony's part in the Kickstarter became even more sensible to it after the first "opinionated" articles and videos hit; and even some Shenmue faithfuls felt the same. I have no doubt it was one the reasons why funding dropped from $90,000+ in a day to less than $58,000 in the next one. That and a lack of traction from the team managing the Kickstarter.

But now that things are much clearer, I can see that it'd take at least 100,000 backers spending up to $100 medium each on the project so it could reach the $10 million mark, and Shenmue really don't have that kind of appeal. Reality sucks sometimes.

Why does reality suck?

You played the 1st one or the 2nd? I'm betting quite a few of the "outraged" here didn't play both either.

The truth about Shenmue, is that it's became one of those holy grails in gaming.. a game few actually played, but it's like totally really cool to want. Thing is, after the initial hype.. you are left with a pretty small pool of people who actually, you know, really want Shenmue 3.

I want it, but I'm not backing it... too far out to spend the money on it now. It's funded, and that's good enough for me. It's up to Yu to make the game when this is done.. and I'll wait and see how that ends up in 3 years or whatever.

Soi-Fong

I've said this before in another thread, but I still don't know how I feel about an open world Shenmue. I hope he gets as much funding as possible, though.

Imagine it though, Suzuki did something so revolutionary all those years ago! Now imagine what he can do now and the ideas he has in his head!

I'd give him more money if I could. I backed $500.

MiszMasz

At 10mil he's talking "completely open world will be yours to explore", neither of the first two (especially the first) were completely open in the way many know such things to be (like Skyrim or GTA). They hard large areas you could roam around in on foot, and specific areas for certain parts of the story but these were linked by cutscenes, taking the bus etc.

I'd be very happy if at 5mil we could have something to the first game's scale.

ReBurn

Gold Member

With the time constraints the past games have put in place
I feel like an open world would be too distracting.

Soi-Fong

At 10mil he's talking "completely open world will be yours to explore", neither of the first two (especially the first) were completely open in the way many know such things to be (like Skyrim or GTA). They hard large areas you could roam around in, and specific areas for certain parts of the story but these were linked by cutscenes, taking the bus etc.

I'd be very happy if at 5mil we could have something at the first game's scale.

Really, I just find it sad... 2 months ago if you mentioned Shenmue 3, you'd get laughed at. Now its a reality and they might not even reach the funding required to really make it the way he envisioned it.

He knows people want the story finished so he prioritized that, but I'm pretty sure he wants more from the game than just that.

A complete open world.. Damn.. All I'd be doing is part-time jobs and stuff.. lol

MouldyK

At 10mil he's talking "completely open world will be yours to explore", neither of the first two (especially the first) were completely open in the way many know such things to be (like Skyrim or GTA). They hard large areas you could roam around in, and specific areas for certain parts of the story but these were linked by cutscenes, taking the bus etc.

I'd be very happy if at 5mil we could have something at the first game's scale.

I think he said no matter what, the scale will be like Shenmue 1's, so $10 mill for Shenmue 1 scale.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I'm pretty sure a lot of fans are dreaming of a foresty open-world China sorta setting. That would be amazing thinking about it.
Also, for the people who keep on going to the budget of 1 and 2, remember those games were completely revolutionary when they came out.

Right now theres about 45,000 people that actually want this game to happen and while I wouldn't want to pointblank just call them the only real Shenmue fans in the world right now, the rest are either so flat broke they've hit truly harsh times or they just never really wanted to see what came next after all. Or are in the jungle or some shit.

Hence Yu's sliding scale of realism. Hopefully the same 50k people are up for funding 4 and 5 as well :D

I think he said no matter what, the scale will be like Shenmue 1's, so $10 mill for Shenmue 1 scale.

Thats not what he's said at alllllllllllllllllll.

Soi-Fong

If the story is the story that Yu Suzuki has been thinking up all these years, no it won't. At least not with just 3.

Honestly, I think a 4th game is a far cry at this point... As much as I'm a big fan of Shenmue, I know that it's still a niche game.

MiszMasz

Really, I just find it sad... 2 months ago if you mentioned Shenmue 3, you'd get laughed at. Now its a reality and they might not even reach the funding required to really make it the way he envisioned it.

He knows people want the story finished so he prioritized that, but I'm pretty sure he wants more from the game than just that.

A complete open world.. Damn.. All I'd be doing is part-time jobs and stuff.. lol

True, i'd love if it hit all goals and Yu could do everything he'd like with it.
But if it comes to it i'd be happy with the story carrying on and more of the same gameplay.
As you said, just before E3 this was a joke, the 'but what if...?'

They're obviously not going confirm this before the KS funding period is up so as to not jeopardize their chances of maximizing pledges, but if they really need more that they are likely to reach by the end, they can do what so many others do and set up post-KS stores for additional funding.

MouldyK

But want it always supposed to be just 3 games?

No...

In the past few years Suzuki-san has been quite active in writing the story:

“There are a total of 11 chapters that make up the whole story. Over the past 14 years I originally planned for there to 4 or five games to the series. If at all possible, I would still like to realize the full story of 11 chapters.”

Soi-Fong

Looks like Shenmue Dojo wants to do some community stuff on the 3rd of July. It's real awesome to see how much those guys are dedicated to this series.

MouldyK

They're obviously not going confirm this before the KS funding period is up so as to not jeopardize their chances of maximizing pledges, but if they really need more that they are likely to reach by the end, they can do what so many others do and set up post-KS stores for additional funding.

They need to at this point.

I mean, the ShenmueDojo would love to do a $30 on the 3rd Campaign each month.

Yup $10 million would get us a game similar in size to Shenmue 1 guys, don't worry.
No Capital Wastelands here.

F.R.E.E...F.R.E.E never changes.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns

Well the first two games were certainly huge in scope for that time but they weren't what you could call 'open world' by todays standards. Hopefully this kind of thing will get clarified before the kickstarter is done because it could result in more people backing it.

Maridia

Nope, no, not what he's saying. The "open world" is saying something thats never been in Shenmue before, a totally open world not "zones". So well done for not reading the message and the OP. Hope that doesn't have consequences!

This is when people reveal the source of their salt. Why not? Announcing something gamers have been begging for, for 14 years, at the Christmas of Gamers? Unless you feel its "unfair" in some way. Unfair to who? Their competitors? But why would you care about that? Oh.

Unfair to Yu and Shenmue 3? Taking care of marketing (which includes announcing a Kickstarter in literally the best possible place so the severity crashes the entire site) is no small thing. Nor is giving funding at all to a TOTAL passion project. No good business here. This is quite simply a "you want this? Okay, makes little financial sense, but here, we'll help you get this." STILL finding a way to feel any negative emotions about this speaks 99% more about that person than the actual project.

You either want this or you never did at this point.

First off, I'm happy that you're excited and I hope that the game is amazing and lives up to everyone's expectations.

What I take issue with is when you say that something got announced at the conference that everyone has been asking for over the past 14 years. You're implying that Shenmue 3 was announced at the conference. It wasn't; what was announced was an opportunity for fans to fund Shenmue 3. Considerably less people have asked for that.

I can tell that we're coming from a similar place when you refer to E3 as the "Christmas of Games." The "source of my salt" is that the favorable reception to this potentially changes us from the kids in your Christmas metaphor to something more like the elves going forward.

When the conference arrived at Shenmue 3, there were people jumping up and down and crying. I hope at the end of the day, they get what they (and you) were/are picturing, but I'm skeptical that something with the scale and gameplay variety that draws people to the series can be crowdfunded.

We're shitty elves, and it's a bad precedent.

Crocodile

A lot of this info has been out in the wild for a bit now but its great to get this all collected in one place (rather than scattered across the internet), on the KS page itself and clearly explained by the project leader. While it might not answer every question a backer might have, it should answer most of the major ones. As he admits, this should have been cleared up from the start but better late than never. Thank You Mr. Suzki :)

I don't understand why people conflate valid criticisms of the rollout of the Kickstarter with just hating on it and tearing it down. I don't think they've done a good job on laying out what the game is at this point and what people should expect. People act that there is this campaign against the KS and I just don't see it. I think people just want more info, and while this is more info, it doesn't seem to give any more on what the game will be like at say, under 10 mil. Will it have a world like the prior games? Will it be just linear? What gameplay can we expect? What scale?

Yeah its really been frustrating to participate or read some of these Shenmue threads because it seems so many are amped up to call you a troll (there are some of those out there to be fair) if any part of this campaign confused you or you wanted some questions answered. I get that some people have been waiting half their lives for this but a few need to chill a bit.

How many people in here do not know that the funding Kickstarters get slows down a shitton after the first couple of days? I find people blaming people who criticized Shenmue 3 for the lack of funds in the last few days far more embarrassing. While there were people who expected too much clarity, there definitely was a lack of it beforehand that should have been (and has been) addressed. And it doesn't seem like those who criticized it really caused that much of a slowdown, as there was going to be one anyway.

Yeah, I get a lot of people are probably first time backers here but I wish people would at least take a moment to familiarize themselves with how kickstarters tend to work before blaming "the internet", "GAF", etc. I also hope people understand that if someone neither owns nor expects to own a PS4 or game on their PC, they have no incentive to back this. That doesn't excuse actual concern trolling but people can't be faulted for not caring if its not on their systems of choice.

Just finding out there was some outrage about Sony's involvement. Coming right off the successful campaign of Bloodstained, wouldn't it be kind of implied? Given how it was announced at Sony's E3 stage of all places?

It wasn't at all clear what exactly Sony's role would be until very recently.

To be honest, I found the Bloodstained Kickstarter handled terribly. Very little info on the actual game aside from "it's a Metroidvania" or the people working on it was given, and instead it just rode on the hype of Igarashi being behind it. Meanwhile it also locked backer rewards behind "achievements" that were all given for a certain amount of attention being given through fan-art or followers. It deserved criticism a lot more than Shenmue 3 does.

I mean if you've played Symphony of the Night, Harmony of Dissoance, Aria of Sorrow, Dawn of Sorrow, Portrait of Ruin and/or Order of Eccelsia, you have a pretty clear idea what to expect when Igarashi says he wants to make a new Metroidvania. Igarashi & co are riding their names just as well as Suzuki is so I'm not sure I understand the critique from that perspective. Finally, that Backer Achievement system did a lot of good work keeping this game in the eyes of social media and keeping people engaged after they pledged or even if they couldn't. You can say its annoying but the Shenmue kickstarter would probably be doing better if it had copied that model.

I'm confused - why are people concerned about a physical copy ?

The people who would be backing this, putting down on average $80 for copies of the game 2+ years before release, tend to be hardcore gamers who like having physical copies of games.

icecream

Public Health Threat
Honestly, I think a 4th game is a far cry at this point... As much as I'm a big fan of Shenmue, I know that it's still a niche game.
Sure, it may be a long stretch. But it might be a bit disingenuous to claim that the "story" will end with 3.

Looks like Shenmue Dojo wants to do some community stuff on the 3rd of July. It's real awesome to see how much those guys are dedicated to this series.

Spread it everywhere: $30 on the 3rd.

dXFUddbl.jpg

Soi-Fong

First off, I'm happy that you're excited and I hope that the game is amazing and lives up to everyone's expectations.

What I take issue with is when you say that something got announced at the conference that everyone has been asking for over the past 14 years. You're implying that Shenmue 3 was announced at the conference. It wasn't; what was announced was an opportunity for fans to fund Shenmue 3. Considerably less people have asked for that.

I can tell that we're coming from a similar place when you refer to E3 as the "Christmas of Games." The "source of my salt" is that the favorable reception to this potentially changes us from the kids in your Christmas metaphor to something more like the elves going forward.

When the conference arrived at Shenmue 3, there were people jumping up and down and crying. I hope at the end of the day, they get what they (and you) were/are picturing, but I'm skeptical that something with the scale and gameplay variety that draws people to the series can be crowdfunded.

It seems like with the age of AAA people are thinking open-world means GTA kind of cost meaning 300 million plus dollars to make... You guys do know for example, Witcher 3 which is wayyy bigger than this game ever will be only cost $32 million dollars to make.

J2 Cool

$2 mill: Continue the story (I heard he still wnats to make more games after).

$5 mill: Include feature he really wants to add.

$10 mill: Shenmue 1 Size.

False.

He said "truly open world game" and a "much larger, completely open world". Shenmue 1 by todays standards isnt what I'd consider truly open world.

batfax

Sure, it may be a long stretch. But it might be a bit disingenuous to claim that the "story" will end with 3.

For people concerned about this, I seem to remember during a GDC talk about the game Suzuki broke the story into 4 "acts", with the fourth one being coming to terms with the end of Ryo's journey and starting a new one. If 3 works as the "act 3" from that plan, we could at least defeat Lan Di and solve some of the mysteries.

I'm just a casual Shenmue player. Though for years I've promised myself I'd back the eventual Shenmue 3 KS, this one was such a weird announcement. But besides that, Sony did give it visibility, and they got all the money they need to make it happen.

I'd donate in case they needed it. Since they don't, I won't bother. And that's beside the fact that I don't have a PS4 nor a gaming PC, so no way to play it anyway :p.

I guess at least people are being honest about it.

I see no reason to lie. Ignorance or not, we all have reasons for what we do.

Yu announced in the AMA that it will take a 4th game to finish the story. He has already decided against ending it with 3, it sounds like.

He should have come out the gate saying the game needs $10m instead of this $2m, no $5M! You know what, $10M and you will have an open world game.

Pie and Beans

We have two forks here:

-If you were a fan of Shenmue, still wanted the next game, and thought some entirely charitable corporation was going to hurl $5 million+ at Yu Suzuki for hijinx by picking up the whole development bill themselves, you had an incredibly loose grasp of reality. Santa Claus and elves is a fitting example. Santa aint real, in the year 2015 this was always going to be going Kickstarter. The very fact Sony is willing to pick up the side-orders part of the bill is about as 'up' on whatever I could expect of the real world.

-Making Shenmue in 1999-2000 was at the very cutting edge of videogames. Graphics that were showing up PC, things like realtime day cycles and lighting, dynamic weather, crowds of people with AI and so on and so forth. SECOND to this, it was also a project that was first gonna be Saturn for a long time, but then went to Dreamcast which was like starting from scratch. THIRD, Shenmue's budget was for 2 gigantic revolutionary games, that essentially were getting made two times back to back. Making Shenmue in the year 2015 with Unreal Engine where you can often just drag and fucking drop day cycles, AI behaviours, from a suite that can even be accessed for free, is just a very cheaper proposition. FOURTH, Shenmue 3 is in rural China and not a city environment which I feel would need a slightly meatier budget for assets.

MouldyK

Thats not what he's said at alllllllllllllllllll.

False.

He said "truly open world game" and a "much larger, completely open world". Shenmue 1 by todays standards isnt what I'd consider truly open world.

He has said in an inteview:

-- The level of creativity in the games you have created is often very high. Is there any secret to this?
YS: No. I never play games outside work, so I don’t get that influenced by other games. Maybe that’s the reason.

-- I had this idea that you researched other games thorough and tried to make something different, but I guess that’s not true then.
YS: Yeah. it easier to just make something from zero (laugh).

-- So maybe If someone from the media like me hear an explanation for a game and say “Is it like the mechanics from that other game?” you might not be able to get it?
YS: I’m sorry, but I guess that’s true. Well, maybe I have to study the trends in the most popular games.

And a guy said:

He literally has no idea what an open world is outside of Shenmue lol. So when he says open world he means Shenmue's open world.

And in the AMA, he also said:

Q: Are all the towns listed in the Kickstarter stretch goals in the game already, or are the stretch goals only there as a means to help give them more features and spice?

A: They are there, but with more powered up through the stretch goals.

Which makes people assume the world will be the same size, but more fleshed out if he gets the money, which minigames and side quests.

We know that 3 million dollares it's a reasonable budget for Yooka-Laylee and Bloodstained.

Actually, Bloodstained said it needed $5 million dollars and that was before the stretch goals.

I have a few major worries about this Kickstarter.

1) They're not wrapping up the story with this game so if it's not a big success, the story could still not get finished.

2) Unless they're drastically changing the style, 2/5/10 million dollars seems far too low for a 3D open world game.

3) As far as I know, nobody involved with this Kickstarter has any recent experience making this kind of game.

You guys do know for example, Witcher 3 which is wayyy bigger than this game ever will be only cost $32 million dollars to make.

Witcher 3 only cost that "little" because it was made in a country with drastically lower wages. In the US, that figure would be closer to $100 million. The studio has over 200 employees - no game funded just from Kickstarter could even comes close.

Pie and Beans

He has said in an inteview:

And a guy said:

And in the AMA, he also said:

Which makes people assume the world will be the same size, but more fleshed out if he gets the money, which minigames and side quests.

The 'guy' you're quoting there is going by total jump to conclusions conjecture. Betting that Yu Suzuki has no idea about game development here and now would be a really fucking stupid bet to make. 'Playing' games and understanding how games are made in 2015 and terms like "open world" are very different things.

Soi-Fong

I'm indebted to Yu Suzuki. He is the Miyamoto to the Sega world.

Yeah.. I think to many Shenmue fans including myself, this game was something really special. "Keep friends..." That quote has always stuck with me. There was really so much I got from playing Shenmue way back then even though I was only in elementary school. lol

I played it together with my cousin and we always talked about it whenever we hang out or see each other.

It really was something else back then.

akira28

Occulus Rift support. It was meant to be.

Maridia

We have two forks here:

-If you were a fan of Shenmue, still wanted the next game, and thought some entirely charitable corporation was going to hurl $5 million+ at Yu Suzuki for hijinx by picking up the whole development bill themselves, you had an incredibly loose grasp of reality. Santa Claus and elves is a fitting example. Santa aint real, in the year 2015 this was always going to be going Kickstarter. The very fact Sony is willing to pick up the side-orders part of the bill is about as 'up' on whatever I could expect of the real world.

-Making Shenmue in 1999-2000 was at the very cutting edge of videogames. Graphics that were showing up PC, things like realtime day cycles and lighting, dynamic weather, crowds of people with AI and so on and so forth. SECOND to this, it was also a project that was first gonna be Saturn for a long time, but then went to Dreamcast which was like starting from scratch. THIRD, Shenmue's budget was for 2 gigantic revolutionary games, that essentially were getting made two times back to back. Making Shenmue in the year 2015 with Unreal Engine where you can often just drag and fucking drop day cycles, AI behaviours, from a suite that can even be accessed for free, is just a very cheaper proposition. FOURTH, Shenmue 3 is in rural China and not a city environment which I feel would need a slightly meatier budget for assets.

That's cool, and I totally get where you're coming from. If the end result of this whole process is looking good toward release, I'll definitely pick it up.

I just hope this is the first and last time a Kickstarter campaign gets announced by a major publisher at E3 (and if they do get announced, I prefer realistic funding goals, but there's never going to be another one, right? Right?)

akira28

False.

"GTAV will be jealous" size. I want to be able to awkwardly stare through shop windows at the waitress girl at breakfast time, with zero money in my pocket, and puppy dog eyes my way into a free bagel or something.

Soi-Fong

Occulus Rift support. It was meant to be.

It's gonna be hacked in the PC version if not supported natively. Just look at GTAV. That's why I'm double-dipping!! lol

Playing in the Rift with a better resolution than what my DK2 Rift can offer!! Ahhh!!!

Revas

Man I hope we get to 10 million but I really don't see it happening. I need that revolutionary open world Shenmue III.

I'm over the moon that the game is being made at all.

Top Bottom