• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yumi's Odd Odyssey (Umihara Kawase) is out on Nintendo eshop for 3DS!

Mzo

Does this game let you save between levels? iirc the others didn't.

This game has a full map on the bottom screen. You can play any stage at any time.

There's still a survival mode with lives hat colors in any path you can finish in red. It's a neat setup.

Gaaaah, I really wanted to try that game, but 30$ (which is around 70$ for me) is just too expensive. It's a shame, the game seems like the quirky cheerful game I've been on the mood to play.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Gaaaah, I really wanted to try that game, but 30$ (which is around 70$ for me) is just too expensive. It's a shame, the game seems like the quirky cheerful game I've been on the mood to play.

I guess you don't want it enough. I hope it has a sale myself. Looks like a $20 game to me.

Mzo

It's all substance and no style.

They should've kept the 2D sprites of the PS game at least, even though I far prefer the look of the sufami game.

I just beat the 2nd tadpole boss. Pretty safe to say this is the hardest of the UK games. Filling in some of those paths with red using Survival mode is going to suuuuuuck. The backpacks go back to being 1ups, though, and there are plenty to go around.

Tain

I can't get to the hidden exit on Stage 7 after a tooon of tries and I feel like I'm so bad at this. Holy hell.

Maybe I should tackle the SFC game first.

Voliko

It's all substance and no style.

They should've kept the 2D sprites of the PS game at least, even though I far prefer the look of the sufami game.

I just beat the 2nd tadpole boss. Pretty safe to say this is the hardest of the UK games. Filling in some of those paths with red using Survival mode is going to suuuuuuck. The backpacks go back to being 1ups, though, and there are plenty to go around.
Hmm, interesting, figures that they would do that to the backpacks. Makes it seem a bit more doable. I'm not sure how I will beat the 2nd crab boss with a limited amount of tries though!

Mzo

I can't get to the hidden exit on Stage 7 after a tooon of tries and I feel like I'm so bad at this. Holy hell.

Maybe I should tackle the SFC game first.

Which part is giving you trouble?

You can climb up to the 3rd section, run off onto the ramp to reach Yumi's full run, jump the gap, jump the ramp to avoid losing speed, then jump the last gap over the regular exit. Hook up to the island above you and either swing up and left towards the next block or climb up on it and slingshot yourself left and hook to the block. After that it's an easy swing to the exit.

Slingshotting works a bit differently in this game. You no longer have to jump, jump with perfect timing to get distance since Yumi maintains her full speed run for a second or two. So basically you hook the ground, run away from where you want to go, reel yourself in, let go of the hook after Yumi gains speed and hold towards your destination to maintain the run. You can jump out of the run and clear a lot of distance, same as if you used a ramp.

Tain

Mostly the slingshotting, but I'm horribly inconsistent with the last part of the running jump (after clearing the little upwards incline), too.

Voliko

Is anyone here Xate? I curse him out daily.
I know, I was wondering the same thing! That guy is a fishing rod - slinging wizard. I like to imagine Xate is some super fan who had already mastered the Japanese release. Just to feel better.

Mzo

I was hoping he was a tester or someone who worked on the game.

Either way, fuck him YOU HEARD ME XATE

Voliko

Mostly the slingshotting, but I'm horribly inconsistent with the last part of the running jump (after clearing the little upwards incline), too.
You can just jump off of the block in the top right corner to hook onto the top block instead of slingshotting in 7. There isn't a whole lot of slingshotting required to open all the doors and get all of the backpacks.

Mzo

An ugly 3D port of a weird niche Japanese-only SFC platformer is not worth $30. Nintendo is out of their minds.

Yeah, I agree. Nintendo would even break a few laws publishing and pricing it, since they don't even have the rights to the game! They're so crazy!

Good thing that's not what this is at all.

Lumyst

For some people, their full-priced "gotta have it" game is Madden, or Call of Duty, GTA etc. but why are there posters outraged "on behalf of others" about the price of this unique game? Can any demand for games such as Yumi's Odd Odyssey be met by EA or Activision? Natsume's providing that audience with a game that another company won't. I mean, I paid $39.99 for Rune Factory 4 day one for instance and I'd gladly have paid $59.99, it's MY full priced kind of game, are there going to be buyers of GTAV who would look at Rune Factory and be outraged on my behalf when they see its graphics or don't quite see the appeal of its gameplay compared to the game, such as GTAV, that they paid full price for? So why should I make a value judgment on behalf of someone else and be outraged on someone else's behalf just because they may want a game that I am not clamoring for? This "niche" game is "niche" because it is unique and the people who value it may value it differently than what a mainstream gamer would value it at, at first glance. If I cared about the graphics of a game first and foremost rather than taking it as a whole and valuing it based on my enjoyment with it as a whole, I'd have no choice but to close myself to many, many wonderful games that I've found that I enjoy (many "overlooked gems" on the Wii, for instance). A quirky looking, unique game that the big publishers would never care about, but that Natsume spent the time and effort to offer to 3DS owners? I'm a 3DS owner, it's been offered. I may or may not buy it, but I'll keep my mind open.

Yasumi

Banned
Man, for people who bought a system built on the back of platformers, it's amazing that so many are questioning the value of a game that actually presents a challenge, with tons of levels and fun movement mechanics that need to be learned and mastered to progress. Yumi's Odd Odyssey is honestly the most fun I've had on the 3DS since I got one.

JEKKI

ppl still complainging about price of this game?!?!

it's cheaper than Mario and Donkey Kong Country,

and it's a better game.

I mean... cmon??

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Downloading now!
R8DrPGB.png

rpmurphy

I never knew how entertaining it could be to watch someone die in a platformer repeatedly. I kind of need this game now lol. Game looks pretty challenging for sure.
Yeah, watching others play is a lot like reliving the experience of learning the ropes of the game. It's fun.

JEKKI

got dang frikken Stage 17!!!

how do u beat?!?!

I was stuck for like 20 minutes trying to clear that last jump/swing...

cant do it

>_<

there has to be a trick to it, there always is...

Yuterald

Finally got the controls/mechanics down and I'm loving this. Trying to unlock all doors/paths and collect all the bags as I play. Haven't really re-done stages for better times yet, but I feel like I've completed a few stages relatively fast. Man, I would have gotten into this series mad-hard if they were available in the west years ago. Oh well, never too late to discover and get the opportunity to play something cool, right?

got dang frikken Stage 17!!!

how do u beat?!?!

I was stuck for like 20 minutes trying to clear that last jump/swing...

cant do it

>_<

there has to be a trick to it, there always is...

Don't worry so much about swinging far enough to land on the platform. Just swing far enough so you can grapple onto the platform the door is on and then reel your line in to pull yourself up the ice slope to get to the door.

JEKKI

Don't worry so much about swinging far enough to land on the platform. Just swing far enough so you can grapple onto the platform the door is on and then reel your line in to pull yourself up the ice slope to get to the door.
I've been trying that too~!!!

the space that you can grapple onto tho is VERY tiny,

requires way too much precision that I've yet to achieve...

also doing that won't allow you to grab the backpack above the door so I still think there's another way...

Yuterald

also doing that won't allow you to grab the backpack above the door so I still think there's another way...

I just cleared that stage, but the backpack there... 0_0

rpmurphy

Build enough running speed from the swing, then jump and hook to the platform. The backpack can be retrieved once you're at the door.

JEKKI

nnnnope! cant do it!

I cant get any running speed! you're running against a steep uphill, the moment you touch the slope it kills all your momentum,

likewise if you try to jump, it pushes you way the heck backwards.

ugh... someone show me a video plz ;_;

rpmurphy

nnnnope! cant do it!

I cant get any running speed! you're running against a steep uphill, the moment you touch the slope it kills all your momentum,

likewise if you try to jump, it pushes you way the heck backwards.

ugh... someone show me a video plz ;_;
The above video is more difficult to do if you haven't gotten used to swinging.

I'll upload a shaky video of my replay of this to show you what I mean by building running speed.

link (around the 20s mark)

JEKKI

grrrr~!!! well I finally did get it.

and u know what? there WAS a trick to it!!

basically no need to jump,

hook diagonally up from standing, use tension increase to give u a lift off momentum,

and the trick: LAND ON THE FLAT PART OF THE ICE

as long as u land exactly there, you get just enough momentum to run high enough on the slope to grapple the platform.

but ugh... it's still hard to do... I did it twice and both times I've exceeded 3 minutes...

no leaderboard for me :(

and yes the whole time I've been trying to do it like on the video u posted...

waaaaaaaaaay more harder to do it that way >_<

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Caved and bought!

How do I beat the giant tadpole? It is not like OG UK !

edit: got it!

Ermac

Is there a list of all the characters / how to unlock them?

Ermac

how tf do you get the backpack in Stage 22? Are you supposed to swing around the door platform on the right side? Seems impossible with the chunk of ice there.
LLShC.gif

Is there a list of all the characters / how to unlock them?

Pretty sure the unlockable characters are Yumi's original (SFC) outfit, her Shun outfit, and young Yumi, and they're all unlocked by getting bags.

how tf do you get the backpack in Stage 22? Are you supposed to swing around the door platform on the right side? Seems impossible with the chunk of ice there.
LLShC.gif

Though it's possible to swing yourself onto the platform on the right side, I believe you can also get the bag by lowering the platform just enough so you can jump onto it from the right and grab the bag with your hook.

Ermac

Pretty sure the unlockable characters are Yumi's original (SFC) outfit, her Shun outfit, and young Yumi, and they're all unlocked by getting bags.

Though it's possible to swing yourself onto the platform on the right side, I believe you can also get the bag by lowering the platform just enough so you can jump onto it from the right and grab the bag with your hook.

Bah. When I lower it enough to jump on, it's not high enough to reach the bag. Especially when it lowers some more as I run across it.

yeah actually i just tried it myself and i'm not sure if that'll work

I think you just have to swing onto it when it's at its original height and then hop over to the other side and grab the bag so you don't lower it too much as you run along it.

Top Bottom