• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yumi's Odd Odyssey (Umihara Kawase) is out on Nintendo eshop for 3DS!

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
yeah actually i just tried it myself and i'm not sure if that'll work

I think you just have to swing onto it when it's at its original height and then hop over to the other side and grab the bag so you don't lower it too much as you run along it.

Have you gotten it? It's gonna take me a while to master that swing.

bon

This game gets so hard. I got it yesterday and I've already had a couple "is this even possible?" moments.
I love it.

ohlawd

I just started. Finally.

anyway yeah uhh you guys are fucking crazy. I have to get used to these physics for swinging and shit.

hitstun

Neo Member
Hi, NeoGAF! I'm still playing through the game, at F20 now, but I'm trying to post some decent times as I go. I've got the second fastest time in the F7 hidden exit to F13. I sure would like to find this Xate person, but I'm glad I found a lot of other high-ranking players all in one place. (Hi, George!)

Anyway, why do players in the top rankings tend to use the title character exclusively? Noko's time slow ability slows down the game timer, too, so I don't see any disadvantage to using her instead. Would it be considered cheating if I started posting fast times with Noko?

Oh, and if you're not sold on the game yet, watch the Japanese trailer instead of the crappy English one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WooPlx3n4Dw

ohlawd

oh lol died like 15 times trying to get the backpack in Stage 4. I fucking suck and I'm not even mad.

I'm gonna master the swing if it's the last thing I'll do.

Yasumi

Banned
Madoka Rebellion has shipped.

Fuck yes.

Damn you and your viral marketing and/or possibly misplaced post. Forgot it was coming out so soon. Just ordered the LE. The Inu Curry stuff in the box looks gorgeous.

On topic: 24's second door, 35, 33, and the two boss refights are kicking my butt. Really close to beating them too.

Voliko

Just a heads up if anyone cares- Some kind soul finally uploaded the soundtrack onto youtube. I really enjoyed the new tracks and of course, the arranged old tracks. It's a feel good soundtrack. Glad to be able to listen to it more flexibly.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
I can't beat the crab or the second giant tadpole fight. >_<

Yasumi

Banned
Really loving the miiverse art. Going to dump some of my faves.

zlCfzRw3VaUaw_cGN5

zlCfzRw6_TocVwvhVd

zlCfzRtoVG0FvgDPNg

zlCfzRwPuWUmx6Ta_H

zlCfzRsABP4JZUyXHP

zlCfzRqgI-gzdRXVvn

zlCfzRqC3EQ14s7S2N

zlCfzRp0aLMCC1WfQj

kiryogi

Banned
Damn you and your viral marketing and/or possibly misplaced post. Forgot it was coming out so soon. Just ordered the LE. The Inu Curry stuff in the box looks gorgeous.

On topic: 24's second door, 35, 33, and the two boss refights are kicking my butt. Really close to beating them too.

LOL that was for the anime OT but works as a bump too :D

Go go Euro release

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Great to see they did a sale for $20. It's a bit more in my price range, especially since I can spent a bit more with my budget. This game gets hard, but I want to keep trying so I can clear it.

Though where in the world is that 2nd backpack on stage 13? Doesn't help I can't really explore when a giant ice block is trying to crush me.

Pikma

Banned
Man once you get the handle of the physics and the grappling everything in this game is so damn satisfying. One of my favorite 3DS games already :)

Tom_Cody

I think I'm going to download this after work even though my gaming plate is beyond full at the moment.

I have never played any version of Umihara Kawase but I've been curious about the series for over 10 years; how definitive a version is the 3DS game? Is this the right way to experience the series or is this a missed opportunity?

LayLa

the learning curve in this game is brutal, but once you get the hang of the mechanics you feel like a god! swear i died more during this game than in Dark Souls 2.

Syril

I'm very tempted for $20, but are there any technical issues? Natsume is kind of notorious for introducing bugs in their localizations.

Level select with record keeping and leaderboards make it much better than the Super Famicom version. The physics are different but are by no means worse. I don't have experience with any of the other versions.

Mzo

What's nowhere near as good about it?

What matters most: the controls and the physics of the game.

There are also significantly fewer enemy types, obstacles, and things to do in general (ie. no blocks that need to be grappled and pulled out of the way). The bosses have been improved into more active battles than before, but that's a small plus in a sea of minuses. I don't mind it as a stand-alone title, but when compared to the last two games it doesn't stack up well.

It's also ugly as sin.

Syril

Well, with no frame of reference to the other games, it sounds like I would still enjoy this one just fine, and I'm more willing to pay $20 for this than triple that for the DS collection of the first two.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Well, with no frame of reference to the other games, it sounds like I would still enjoy this one just fine, and I'm more willing to pay $20 for this than triple that for the DS collection of the first two.

Triple that? Make it 5 times that, 'cause complete copies are going for $100/140.

Still kicking myself over not importing it back then :/

rjc571

Banned
I just realized I accientally left the soundtrack CD that came with my JP copy in my car which I sold to a dealer :(

maxcriden

My goodness, this game is insanely hard. It's fun but the grappling mechanic (for me) is really tough to pull off. Kind of reminds me of Wooden Sen'Sey, though I'm even worse at this game.

For a first runthrough, it might not be a bad idea to stick with one of the young characters, because they can use checkpoints. Obviously that's pretty useless when going for a good time, but it can save some frustration going for tricky backpacks.

maxcriden

For a first runthrough, it might not be a bad idea to stick with one of the young characters, because they can use checkpoints. Obviously that's pretty useless when going for a good time, but it can save some frustration going for tricky backpacks.

Thank you! I didn't even realize I could switch characters.

Oh, Max, you're playing Umihara Kawase? Such a cool game for cool people. I love it and it makes me happy.

Definitely try with one of the little kids. They makes things much easier sometimes, specially if you're just trying to survive. The grappling mechanic might take some getting used to but keep at it and I'm sure it'll click and once it does it's very, very satisfying. Watching some youtube videos like the ones someone linked above might be a good idea if you want to see some advanced techniques, although they might have spoilers if you want to find stuff by yourself.

I finally found every exit a while ago and I'm only missing a couple of backpacks, so feel free to ask for advice if you're stuck and in despair. After beating a certain Giant Enemy Crab, life hasn't been the same. I'm fitter, happier, more productive, comfortable, not drinking too much.

I liked the PSP game, I liked the PS1 game (which was the PSP game but better despite coming first imo), and I and actually really adore this one. It may just be the physics finally clicking with me, but I find the platforming even more satisfying in this game. I should go back to the PS1 game at some point, but for now, I am really glad I picked this up.

Top Bottom