• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Z Nation Season 1 |OT| The Asylum does Zombies on Syfy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vert boil

To keep your expectations in check. Z Nation is a product of The Asylum, makers of those shitty off brand films like Transmorphers: Fall of Man, Battle of Los Angeles and classic off brand films like Android Cop.

zbannerc8j3z.jpg

In Z Nation, three years have passed since the zombie virus has gutted the country, and a team of everyday heroes must transport the only known survivor of the plague from New York to California, where the last functioning viral lab waits for his blood. Although the antibodies he carries are the world's last, best hope for a vaccine, he hides a dark secret that threatens them all. With humankind's survival at stake, the ragtag band embarks on a journey of survival across three thousand miles of rusted-out post-apocalyptic America. Z Nation stars Harold Perrineau (Oz, Lost) Tom Everett Scott (Southland, Beauty and the Beast), DJ Qualls (Supernatural), Michael Welch (Twilight trilogy), Kellita Smith (The Bernie Mac Show) Anastasia Baranova (The Darkness II) as Addy, Russell Hodgkinson (Big Fish) as Doc and Keith Allan (Rise of the Zombies) as Murphy. Karl Schaefer (Eerie Indiana, Eureka, The Dead Zone) serves as executive producer and showrunner. Acclaimed action director John Hyams (Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning) will direct the pilot.

13 episode season. Started Friday September 12th, 10/9c on Syfy.

Episode one is available on Amazon, Syfy now, Vudu and xfinity (and probably a bunch of other places).

zactors1pwjpn.jpg

Harold Perrineau as Mark Hammond
Tom Everett Scott as Charles Garnett
DJ Qualls as Citizen Z
Michael Welch as Mack Thompson
Kellita Smith as Roberta Warren

zactors23ec15.jpg

Anastasia Baranova as Addy Carver
Russell Hodgkinson as Doc
Keith Allan as Murphy
Pisay Pao as Cassandra
Nat Zang as 10K

Episode 1 - Puppies and Kittens
In Upstate New York, a zombie baby proves to be an obstacle for a diverse group of survivors.

Episode 2 - Fracking Zombies
In New Jersey, Cassandra's past comes back to haunt her, and the survivors run out of fuel.

Episode 3 - Philly Feast
In Philadelphia, a group of psychotic outlaws confronts the survivors.

Episode 4 - Full Metal Zombie
The heroes come across a zombie army while 10K's past comes to light on Z Nation.

Episode 5 - Home Sweet Zombie

Episode 6 - Resurrection Z

Episode 7 - Welcome to the Fu-Bar

Episode 8 - Zunami

Episode 9 - Die Zombie Die...again

Episode 10 -
Going Nuclear

Episode 11 -
Sisters Of Mercy

Episode 12 -
Murphy's Law

Episode 13 -
Doctor Of The Dead

Media,
Trailer

Links,
Syfy page

jond76

Banned
Cross posting from the two other threads on this...

Just finished. It wasn't as bad as I was expecting, but I had pretty low expectations. It looked pretty good (well shot) and had some good zombie fights. There was a serve near the end that actually surprised me, so kudos for that.

The preview for the season that aired after looked pretty good, so I think I'll ride the season out

Edit: the hammer beat down was actually pretty cool.

ElTopo

Banned
Gonna' watch this in a bit. Hoping for something "so bad it's good" at the least. Now, if the Italians can just make their own Zombie tv show then all will be right with the world.

Stasis

It was so bad it was just bad.

Like they didn't go all in on the so bad enough to make it good. You alternate between being sure they're deliberately cheesy and a parody, and then thinking they're actually trying to make a real show.

That was horrible.

Just finished the pilot. Actually enjoyed it. Nice action. Nice twist. Nice conflict among the survivors.

Edit: what other fictional tale has nine ragtag individuals on a quest to get all the way across the country to destroy evil?

The Fellowship of the Thing

RPGCrazied

Eh, it was okay. The
baby zombie
was pretty stupid though. Also, the best actor of the show in my opinoun
died in the first episode
? Not good, not good.

Source

I can't ever tolerate the movies SyFy makes, but I was able to watch this all the way through last night. Not saying it was good, it was just tolerable. I'll give the 2nd episode a chance as well.

thefit

Watched it last night it was um..ok. Did they really try to tie it in with The Walking Dead by the black guy mentioning that he was directed to the camp by an ex cop he bumped into hold up in a prison and did anyone else catch that?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Watched it last night it was um..ok. Did they really try to tie it in with The Walking Dead by the black guy mentioning that he was directed to the camp by an ex cop he bumped into hold up in a prison and did anyone else catch that?
I caught it and thought it was cute. I'll keep watching even though I hate DJ Qualls.

Wife and I just watched it. It was good enough we'll keep watching so far. A bit cheesy and brain dead in a few parts with the characters but that's nothing new.

knirk

Banned
I somewhat liked it, but then I'm a huge zombie-buff who loves movies, tv-shows and games with a zombie theme.

Savitar

I enjoyed it, the only part that lost me was the
zombie baby, especially how fast and sneaky it appeared to change into. I don't mind zombie babies, just ones that seem to become ninjas.

Ricker

I liked it, will watch episode 2.

Same...if you are not tired of Zombie head bashing and the like,give it a shot,the action is well made and there was a lot of it in this first episode anyway...now the only actor I knew actually dies in the first episode so maybe he will appear in flashbacks ,no pun intended lol,which could drag things down...we shall see.

Bobosaurus

Neo Member
I've just finished watching this. Super Gymnast Ninja Zombie Baby was definitely a highlight!

It straddles the line between so bad it's good and just plain bad. But it delivered some old fashioned blood & guts fun and kept me entertained for 45 minutes so I will be back for more next week

spwolf

this is what cheesy, bad but good horror is... unlike the strain.

also, most of the actors are well known... i might watch too many shows :)

jond76

Banned
This was better than the premiere, imo. I was impressed with the production values. I'm having fun with this so I'm in for the duration.

Savitar

It feels different enough from TWD to work.

Probably how the zombies are a pretty solid part of the show and not just drama drama drama.

One4U

Banned
Watched episode#1 and will not follow this series although I am die-hard zombie fan.

What is the point to kill that baby zombie when it was locked inside? Why cannot leave like that and move on? They cannot shoot it immediately after he turned and ran out of the room and later said they cannot leave it like that? What a joke it is!!

And Hollywood rule: black people died first. What a pointless loss!!!

This show will be killed by TWD Season#5.

someday

Banned
The baby was really stupid. At the very least, all they had to do was leave the door open and wait for it to come outside. And why could it all of a sudden walk/run? As much as I hated the black guy getting killed first episode, I wasn't all that crazy about the dynamic he added to the group (ordering everyone with little explanations). It's always more interesting to have a group with mostly equal standing so there is much more room for drama.

I can't stand the immune guy though. I keep wondering if they could just keep his body cool (or just some of his blood) and kill him or just leave his sorry ass somewhere. I also think cures in these shows are sort of worthless. If you can't do anything about the billions of zombies trying to eat you, what's the point? They're still going to attack and a well placed bite will still be a mortal wound.

All that said, I enjoyed both episodes and will keep watching. Helix and Sharknado broke me into the Syfy motif and at least this has real zombies.

jond76

Banned
This show is fun. I'm digging it. Giant plus: They already got the obligatory cannibalism episode out of the way. Thank goodness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom