• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds Review Thread

D-e-f-

Banned
Bah. Well hopefully I'll get it at least a day early with ShopTo. Need something to stop my nail-biting preceding Doctor Who.

Just wondering Kotaku refers to ALBW as originally being a LttP remake... is there any basis on that, or is it Kotaku being Kotaku?

Aonuma has talked about this a ton. Miyamoto wanted an ALTTP remake for 3DS. Aonuma then decided he wanted to make a new game instead but base it in the same world because he doesn't just want to do remakes all the time. And you can be sure he will do so again in the already announced Iwata Asks.

Aonuma has talked about this a ton. Miyamoto wanted an ALTTP remake for 3DS. Aonuma then decided he wanted to make a new game instead but base it in the same world because he doesn't just want to do remakes all the time. And you can be sure he will do so again in the already announced Iwata Asks.

Huh, fair enough. Hope the Iwata asks comes soon, need something to space out now and Thursday!

And I did have a shopto order, but I changed to Amazon as they gave me come credit for a fuckup.

Amazon are to release date deliveries as Destructoid are to non-sensationalist reviews :p

Here you go.
hjSm0J1.jpg

genjiZERO

Serious question:

It's been about 2 years since I seriously played a game that wasn't an old NES game on an emulator (which was Muramasa on my Wii, and which was the second best game of the generation behind Demon's/Dark Souls).

The original LttP is far and away my favorite in the series. Even though I dislike the art style, the overwhelmingly positive reviews for this game have me seriously considering getting a 3DS to play it. I don't want a 3DS just for one game though. So are a few other games of the same caliber? The types of games I like are old-school SNES-era pre-polygon games. I far prefer 2D over 3D (both in terms of gameplay and art). Really what I want are 2D action platformers like Castlevania and Mario, and JRPGs. I like games that are very Japanese.

What I don't like is hand-holding, tutorials, and increasingly games with an overemphasis on story (which is starting to make JRPGs hard to play).

So is it worth getting one? What are a couple of other games I could get with it? 3DS or 2DS?

Also, what would actually suit me better: a 3DS or a Vita? I'll probably buy a PS4, but not for another year or so, and I'm unconcerned with connectivity just that maybe it has more of the types of games I'm looking for.

감사합니다

Rich!

Serious question:

It's been about 2 years since I seriously played a game that wasn't an old NES game on an emulator (which was Muramasa on my Wii, and which was the second best game of the generation behind Demon's/Dark Souls).

The original LttP is far and away my favorite in the series. Even though I dislike the art style, the overwhelmingly positive reviews for this game have me seriously considering getting a 3DS to play it. I don't want a 3DS just for one game though. So are a few other games of the same caliber? The types of games I like are old-school SNES-era pre-polygon games. I far prefer 2D over 3D (both in terms of gameplay and art). Really what I want are 2D action platformers like Castlevania and Mario, and JRPGs. I like games that are very Japanese.

What I don't like is hand-holding, tutorials, and increasingly games with an overemphasis on story (which is starting to make JRPGs hard to play).

So is it worth getting one? What are a couple of other games I could get with it? 3DS or 2DS?

Also, what would actually suit me better: a 3DS or a Vita? I'll probably buy a PS4, but not for another year or so, and I'm unconcerned with connectivity just that maybe it has more of the types of games I'm looking for.

감사합니다

Can't think of anything similar to Zelda, but in my opinion the 3DS is continuing what the DS started - a kind of renaissance of classic gaming.

Kid Icarus, Mario 3D Land, Zelda, Donkey Kong Country, Luigi's Mansion, Fire Emblem, SMT etc are each arguably the greatest games of the generation

And real men play on the 3DS XL.

Can't think of anything similar to Zelda, but in my opinion the 3DS is continuing what the DS started - a kind of renaissance of classic gaming.

Kid Icarus, Mario 3D Land, Zelda, Donkey Kong Country, Luigi's Mansion, Fire Emblem, SMT etc are each arguably the greatest games of the generation

In my humble opinion, whilst the 3DS hasn't enjoyed the commercial success the DS did, (or maybe the third party support), the first party games absolutely trash those of the DS. Kid Icarus, Fire Emblem Awakening, 3D Land... so many top quality titles, and now Zelda apparently, that surpass their predecessors.

D-e-f-

Banned
Serious question:

감사합니다

Three words: Fire Emblem Awakening (it has story but unless you play Mario only you'll have to put up with story^^)

There's a bunch of other stuff that should be perfect for you on 3DS. Paper Mario Sticker Star, Ocarina of Time 3D (best version of that game), Mario Kart 7, Project X Zone (if you ignore the story which is gibberish anyway), New Super Mario Bros. 2, etc. The Castlevania game (mirror of Fate) is one that you should probably avoid (or try the demo!) as it's very very very different from the Castlevanias you have liked in the past. Then there's also stuff on the eShop that'll scratch your itches. Mutant Mudds, Cave Story (if you're in NA [Europe am cry #goddamnitnicalis]), VVVVVV and stuff like that ... plus the Virtual Console games.

Then: Did you ever own a DS? If not the whole backlog of that system's awesomeness is opened up to you with a bunch of exactly the type of games you described at your disposal.

redcrayon

In terms of action 2D stuff, loads of the DS games with decent pixel art still look great on a 3DS.

Try Castlevania:Order of Ecclesia, Megaman Zero Collection, Contra IV, Metal Slug 7, Spiderman: Web of Shadows and Aliens: Infestation for starters. The last two in particular are easily overlooked but awesome exploration-based 2D games.

And real men play on the 3DS XL.
Jesus. No mention of Revelations? A fucking crime. :( If you own a 3DS get this damn game.

Rich!

Do you have a Micromania branch near you? Guy in France on former page seems to have picked it up from there, and apparently it's a chain-wide initiative.

I wonder if I can order from them online to the UK, and if they'd ship out today....

...post from cross channel only takes a couple of days.

Edit: shit, €49.99/£42? Haha, nope. I'll settle for a week later from amazon to save £10. I'm not THAT desperate.

takriel

Do you have a Micromania branch near you? Guy in France on former page seems to have picked it up from there, and apparently it's a chain-wide initiative.

I don't think so. But like richiawesome I'm wondering if I could get this online from them? That'd be sweet!

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
In my humble opinion, whilst the 3DS hasn't enjoyed the commercial success the DS did, (or maybe the third party support), the first party games absolutely trash those of the DS. Kid Icarus, Fire Emblem Awakening, 3D Land... so many top quality titles, and now Zelda apparently, that surpass their predecessors.

I agree 100%.

DS I mostly loved for 3rd party stuff like the Metroidvanias.

NSMB was just ok, I didn't really care for Phantom Hourglass and hated Spirit Tracks.

3DS probably has the best first party line up since the SNES.

Rich!

Hm. Would amazon France ship out early if the street date is broken there? The price on amazon.fr is the the same as UK.

Rich!

I think Amazon generally are very wary about not shipping early. It's why they ship no earlier than a day before release, and thus often why they miss release day delivery.

Sucks.

I would switch back to Shopto, but as my card details are registered to my parents house, they have to send it there (only made one purchase before from them)

In that case, I wouldn't get it until the following week anyway due to my parents being on holiday.

Sucks.

I would switch back to Shopto, but as my card details are registered to my parents house, they have to send it there (only made one purchase before from them)

In that case, I wouldn't get it until the following week anyway due to my parents being on holiday.

Yeah I had to do the whole "two deliveries to card address" house, but now I can finally get it to my Uni address. Now hopefully it won't get nicked (dodgy area).

Firemind

3DS is missing just a few games to shit all over DS.

- Final Fantasy Remake
- Final Fantasy Tactics
- Castlevania

Bravely Default is kind of the spiritual successor of 4 Heroes of Light.

But 3DS ain't shitting on nothing if it doesn't release an all-new Advance Wars. Like right now.

D-e-f-

Banned
Jesus. No mention of Revelations? A fucking crime. :( If you own a 3DS get this damn game.

Did you read his criteria? Does not sound like a game he would like at all. Don't just blindly list off games without considering what's being asked.

This and Majoras mask remake would tip the 3DS towards GOAT candidate for me.

Well, technically 3DS already wins because you can still play all those games on it ;)
The deciding criteria would be how much the 3DS exclusive library tips it over versus the GBA library! Now THAT is a fight.

Sadist

Man, even for all the flack they receive 2013 has been fantastic for Nintendo games. Fire Emblem Awakening, Pikmin 3, The Wonderful 101, The Wind Waker HD and Pokemon X/Y. And now with this and 3D World around the corner, it's been a good year qualitywise.

Man, even for all the flack they receive 2013 has been fantastic for Nintendo games. Fire Emblem Awakening, Pikmin 3, The Wonderful 101, The Wind Waker HD and Pokemon X/Y. And now with this and 3D World around the corner, it's been a good year qualitywise.

Don't forget Animal Crossing, and Luigi's Mansion. Both great titles.

genjiZERO

Three words: Fire Emblem Awakening (it has story but unless you play Mario only you'll have to put up with story^^)

There's a bunch of other stuff that should be perfect for you on 3DS. Paper Mario Sticker Star, Ocarina of Time 3D (best version of that game), Mario Kart 7, Project X Zone (if you ignore the story which is gibberish anyway), New Super Mario Bros. 2, etc. The Castlevania game (mirror of Fate) is one that you should probably avoid (or try the demo!) as it's very very very different from the Castlevanias you have liked in the past. Then there's also stuff on the eShop that'll scratch your itches. Mutant Mudds, Cave Story (if you're in NA [Europe am cry #goddamnitnicalis]), VVVVVV and stuff like that ... plus the Virtual Console games.

Then: Did you ever own a DS? If not the whole backlog of that system's awesomeness is opened up to you with a bunch of exactly the type of games you described at your disposal.

I may have one... I do have on, but I haven't been able to find it in about 5 years.... I also tapped out all the Castlevanias for both it and Advance.

But better than Vita?

RagnarokX

Didn't aonuma pretty much confirm it started as a remake/test of sorts?

And I did have a shopto order, but I changed to Amazon as they gave me come credit for a fuckup.

No. They said that they didn't start ALBW with the intention of making a sequel. That could mean it started as a remake, it could mean it started as a totally unrelated game to ALttP.

D-e-f-

Banned
I may have one... I do have on, but I haven't been able to find it in about 5 years.... I also tapped out all the Castlevanias for both it and Advance.

But better than Vita?

The redeeming aspect of the Vita for your case would be the access to the PSP library via PSN.

D-e-f-

Banned

Asd202

- Final Fantasy Remake
- Final Fantasy Tactics
- Castlevania

3DS has Bravely Default which I would take over any FF remake and Tactics without Matsuno is just wrong.Would love to see real 2D Castlevania but it's todays Konami which means it would suck. What 3DS is missing is Advence Wars untill it get's that DS will be superior. IMO of course :p.

Just found out I have to work third shift next Friday night...

...you have got to be fucking kidding me... seriously why are these releases suddenly on a Friday when Nintendo is notorious for Sunday launches :(

Marz

3DS has Bravely Default which I would take over any FF remake and Tactics without Matsuno is just wrong.Would love to see real 2D Castlevania but it's todays Konami which means it would suck. What 3DS is missing is Advence Wars untill it get's that DS will be superior. IMO of course :p.

3DS needs a 2D Metroid as well.

JudgeN

Good reviews but I have a question for the more informed peeps. So I understand there is an item store to buy/rent dungeon items but are you required to use the store at all to beat the game? Like can you find the items throughout the world? Similar to the ice wand in LTTP.

Good reviews but I have a question for the more informed peeps. So I understand there is an item store to buy/rent dungeon items but are you required to use the store at all to beat the game? Like can you find the items throughout the world? Similar to the ice wand in LTTP.

You need the store.

D-e-f-

Banned

These items are only in the store.

RagnarokX

I don't remember if it was discussed in detail here but it's still worth bringing up again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hhBDOrgRy8&feature=player_detailpage#t=962
Aonuma's NYCC panel where he shows off early-development stuff from the game.

Miyamoto said he wanted to make a game that was like ALttP in 3D. Aonuma could have made that model to see how the style looked in 3D and then they decided to make a sequel using the same map.

In that panel Aonuma says that they wanted to make a game in the same play-style as ALttP but didn't start out with a sequel. He says they came up with the wall ability and after that they decided to make a sequel.

MrT-Tar

- Final Fantasy Remake
- Final Fantasy Tactics
- Castlevania

I remember saying earlier this year that the 3DS only needed 5 games in order to overtake the DS and PSX and become my favourite system. You've mentioned 3 of them, and the other two were Advance Wars and a 2D Metroid.

Hopefully IS are hard at work on 3DS Wars

Top Bottom