• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds Review Thread

What's the save/checkpoint system like in this? I found that Ocarina of Time didn't make for the best handheld experience on the 3DS because of a lack of checkpoints.

Will this be more suited for play in short bursts?

i find it hilarious how high the reviews are compared to the reactions to the first trailer

Along with 3D World seems to be a bit of a running theme for Nintendo games this year...

OT going up today or tomorrow guys.

lemon1.gif

JudgeN

How is that terrible? The whole game is designed around that. That doesn't mean there's no secret stuff to find.

So because its design around it that means its awesome? I dunno I feel shackled to the shop now, you enter dungeon figure out you have wrong item go back to shop get right item finish dungeon. Go to next dungeon figure out item you need go back to shop get right item finish dungeon.

I could be wrong but that doesn't sound to appealing to me, its an ok option but why not scatter the items across the world for you to find and avoid the shop all together? That to me sounds more like a real adventure but again its just my opinion.

D-e-f-

Banned
So because its design around it that means its awesome? I dunno I feel shackled to the shop now, you enter dungeon figure out you have wrong item go back to shop get right item finish dungeon. Go to next dungeon figure out item you need go back to shop get right item finish dungeon.

I could be wrong but that doesn't sound to appealing to me, its an ok option but why not scatter the items across the world for you to find and avoid the shop all together? That to me sounds more like a real adventure but again its just my opinion.

I have a strange sense of déjà vu. I think I've had the same discussion before with someone else. You assume things based on your limited knowledge of how it works and make up the worst case scenario for you.

We know it's not how you describe it. They know what they're doing. The item you need is telegraphed at the entrance of the dungeon. Besides, all or various different items have value in multiple dungeons so there should be always something you can do with the stuff you have (to a degree).

And your alternative suggestion isn't any better either. It's worse even. Scattering items throughout the world is somehow less cumbersome when you don't know which one you need? "Oh I need the bow. Now I walk around the entire world of Hyrule and Lorule hoping to stumble over it?"

JudgeN

I have a strange sense of déjà vu. I think I've had the same discussion before with someone else. You assume things based on your limited knowledge of how it works and make up the worst case scenario for you.

We know it's not how you describe it. They know what they're doing. The item you need is telegraphed at the entrance of the dungeon. Besides, all or various different items have value in multiple dungeons so there should be always something you can do with the stuff you have (to a degree).

And your alternative suggestion isn't any better either. It's worse even. Scattering items throughout the world is somehow less cumbersome when you don't know which one you need? "Oh I need the bow. Now I walk around the entire world of Hyrule and Lorule hoping to stumble over it?"

This isn't new to this zelda its been in every other zelda game released. You use older items in newer dungeons all the time. So the item is telegraphed at the start of the dungeon that's fine but if I don't have it I still need to go back to the shop and get it correct? How is that different from what I said? My alternate suggestion was just an option to avoid the shop not get rid of the shop all together its not like it would be impossible to do design into the game.

D-e-f-

Banned
This isn't new to this zelda its been in every other zelda game released. You use older items in newer dungeons all the time. So the item is telegraphed at the start of the dungeon that's fine but if I don't have it I still need to go back to the shop and get it correct? How is that different from what I said? My alternate suggestion was just an option to avoid the shop not get rid of the shop all together its not like it would be impossible to do design into the game.

The thing is that renting items is very cheap. You could rent all items at once if you have enough rupees and rupees are plentiful. In addition to that, there is a fast travel point right next to the shop. This is a complete non-issue.

I have a feeling I'm gonna want to buy the items instead of renting so I can upgrade them. Wonder how many rupees it will take to buy them all.

BY2K

Membero Americo
It is true though that there wasn't anymore surprise at finding items in dungeons because it's always the boomerangs and bow and bombs.

I remember finding the second clawshot in the last dungeon of TP and going: Really!? (That was before I realized how freaking awesome it was, though.)

I'll be honest... When they first said how items were working, I was really upset. I loved finding the items in dungeons in previous Zeldas, and I thought that was something they would never change. But the more I've thought about it, the more I'm okay with this new system for the game. I still think I will miss getting new items in the dungeons, but we'll see how it goes.

Anteo

It is true though that there wasn't anymore surprise at finding items in dungeons because it's always the boomerangs and bow and bombs.

I remember finding the second clawshot in the last dungeon of TP and going: Really!? (That was before I realized how freaking awesome it was, though.)

Yeah I was playing with a friend at the time and we were like "wait what, the same item?"
The the text said double clawshot...

D-e-f-

Banned
sorry if old. can't keep track of where I have seen what already anymore.

The Bit Block Video Review (Spoiler Free)

"I would probably say this is my favorite handheld Zelda title. I think it really captures the very essence of this series. As a big fan of the original 2D-games, I just really love seeing a new title based on that formula. I think The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds delivers big time and it's got plenty of nostalgia for longtime fans and it's also got a lot of fresh cool ideas like turning into a painting and whatnot. I would say this is a must-have Holiday title." 9.7

sorry if old. can't keep track of where I have seen what already anymore.

The Bit Block Video Review (Spoiler Free)

"I would probably say this is my favorite handheld Zelda title. I think it really captures the very essence of this series. As a big fan of the original 2D-games, I just really love seeing a new title based on that formula. I think The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds delivers big time and it's got plenty of nostalgia for longtime fans and it's also got a lot of fresh cool ideas like turning into a painting and whatnot. I would say this is a must-have Holiday title." 9.7

Game looks amazing.

Gonna be interesting to see how I like this, considering I don't really have that much nostalgia for ALttP.

I'm the same way, but I actually feel NOT knowing the overworld like the back of your hand means we won't feel that strange familiarity several of the reviews complained about.

If anything, we're at the advantage here

Gsnap

Then it won't feel like a cheap rehash to you.

I find it genuinely funny that the word "sequel" is applied to every company except Nintendo.

Is Nintendo not allowed to make sequels? You guys really do make me laugh sometimes.

Unless you're joking. It's so hard to tell sometimes...

But I agree with the others. Having only played a little of LttP this game will most likely feel very fresh to me.

The surprise of finding dungeon items stopped being exciting around the time they became Beyblades...

Don't you insult the beyblade item in twilight princess.

The only thing wrong with it is that they didn't give it more use after the initial dungeon (Which is kinda true of a lot of zelda items).

jwhit28

I find it genuinely funny that the word "sequel" is applied to every company except Nintendo.

Is Nintendo not allowed to make sequels? You guys really do make me laugh sometimes.

Unless you're joking. It's so hard to tell sometimes...

But I agree with the others. Having only played a little of LttP this game will most likely feel very fresh to me.

Play A Link to the Past while there is still time. How many other series can still leverage 20+ years of history for winks nods and in jokes while changing the structure up as much as this game will? The people that played MGS4 without touching the rest of the series must have missed out on so much.

D-e-f-

Banned
Play A Link to the Past while there is still time. How many other series can still leverage 20+ years of history for winks nods and in jokes while changing the structure up as much as this game will? The people that played MGS4 without touching the rest of the series must have missed out on so much.

I'm glad I played through them all in sequence for the first time a year after MGS4 came out. Seeing the gameplay progression was fascinating (without having it dragged out over 11 years). :D

Air

Banned
If I can pick up a 3ds for cheap (not interested in the 2ds), than I'll buy this. I've never finished alttp so I think I would have a great time playing this.

3DS is A Clash of Kings Robb Stark, nothing can stop it.

This might not be the best description for the system's future.

Jackano

I got my goods GAF!
But not the treasure chest goodies yet, no.
So yeah apparently Micromania in France have the go from Nintendo to sell the bundle and game (that's what was discussed in the shop and on phone with the micromania workers).
I think it's a good call, since you don't want your fellow Zelda fans with their Link Between Worlds and shiny gold 3DSXL in hands mixed up with dudebros fighting for their DDR3 in some dailymotion videos next week.

If I can pick up a 3ds for cheap (not interested in the 2ds), than I'll buy this. I've never finished alttp so I think I would have a great time playing this.

This might not be the best description for this system's future.

I imagine a preowned OG would be peanuts if you knew where to look and weren't particularly interested in the XL.

I got my goods GAF!
But not the treasure chest goodies yet, no.
So yeah apparently Micromania in France have the go from Nintendo to sell the bundle and game (that's what was discussed in the shop and on phone with the micromania workers).
I think it's a good call, since you don't want your fellow Zelda fans with their Link Between Worlds and shiny gold 3DSXL in hands mixed up with dudebros fighting for their DDR3 in some dailymotion videos next week.

:'( I shall scour my local GAME tomorrow... I doubt we'll have such luck.

Top Bottom