• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: BoTW Wii U requires 3 GB install.

Its pretty small actually, considering its mandatory

But then again, its almost 25% of the full game

It's also 1/10th of the Switch's packed-in storage.

I know, so far it's only Wii U, but if this is mandatory for Switch, it's a tenth of what you get with your $300 console.

jacobeid

Banned
So long as they don't require you to have "overhead" like PS4, you have plenty of space.

3GB = 3072 MB

The article says "more than 3gb" though so we'll see how much is actually needed. My biggest space hogs are MPT (7gb) and Pikmin 3 (4gb), both digital obviously.

Justinh

There probably wasn't doubt to flash cards being faster than optical.
Yeah, Aonuma said specifically that one of the differences between the Switch and Wii U versions were that the Switch version loaded faster.
Wait is this installed from the disc or from the internet? Wanna know if the disc is just a coaster without the patch.
I hope it's the disc. My Wii U will no longer connect to the internet, I've learned since hooking it back up a couple days ago.

I'm either going to have to delete Tropical Freeze, Metroid Prime Trilogy (no biggie there since I have the disc), or hook up one of my extra external hard drives. I think I'll finally hook up a hard drive.

syeefoo

Neo Member
Wait, I thought the text in Zelda JP link there read, is for Wii U only? Only the Wii U physical disc version will need to be installed?

Calling for help for GAF who know jap...

products_update_info_txt.png

Edit: OK, really is about Wii U version only :p Seeing ppl mentioning microsd card size here confusing me

jonjonaug

Are Blu-Rays still really slow reading data?

The Wii U uses a proprietary disc format (it's probably like, but not exactly Bluray) and the Switch uses high capacity carts, which will probably have faster load times and might not need the install.

VariantX

13 gig download.... what is the max size ad card switch can take? Was thinking of going all digital.

2TB SD card is the max, though the biggest size you can buy is probably 512 GB which will be expensive as all hell until 1/2 TB cards actually hit the market.

God I hope they get the performance where it needs to be for launch. The E3 build last year was pretty wretched, but they've had plenty of time since then. Obviously they want to sell as many Switch copies as they can, but hopefully that Nintendo seal of quality still applies to the Wii U version. I don't mind an install, as long as the framerate's solid.

2TB SD card is the max, though the biggest size you can buy is probably 512 GB which will be expensive as all hell until 1/2 TB cards actually hit the market.

Keeping in mind that the 3ds "limit" is 64gb, but can use 256gb cards. 2tb is the current limit simply because there aren't even prototypes of higher yet, not because it's a hard limit of the standard.

I guess this also confirms that the Switch has read speeds greater than optical. It needs no install.
Even were it the same, having several times as much RAM would make a big difference. If Switch really lets games use 3.2 GB, then compared to the Wii U game it can have 2.2 GB more stuff waiting in RAM, 2/3 of whatever this install is.
Keeping in mind that the 3ds "limit" is 64gb, but can use 256gb cards. 2tb is the current limit simply because there aren't even prototypes of higher yet, not because it's a hard limit of the standard.
2 terabytes is the defined limit of the SDXC standard.

Just cleaned the fridge a little, and it looks like I'll be able to get through the entire Wii U generation on the included 32GB storage. I just had to delete my Pokken Tournament demo and I'm good (assuming you don't need 6GB of free space to install 3GB of data, that is).

God I hope they get the performance where it needs to be for launch. The E3 build last year was pretty wretched, but they've had plenty of time since then. Obviously they want to sell as many Switch copies as they can, but hopefully that Nintendo seal of quality still applies to the Wii U version. I don't mind an install, as long as the framerate's solid.

How did the GameCube Twilight Princess run? This is a similar situation, as far as trying to sell the Zelda more on the new console, right?

Anyway, 3GB is no issue for me. Most of my Wii U data is off on the hard drive I have holed up to it anyway.

Paz

Are Blu-Rays still really slow reading data?

All optical media is incredibly slow compared to other forms of modern storage.

Kinda surprised but not that surprised by Zelda requiring a partial install, this game appears to be stressing the Wii U to its absolute limits.

Smasher89

Im actually really impressed with that, I mean xenoblade X was 20 GB, 3 compared to that, in 2 games that looks kinda similar in some ways is nice (prob no mechs in zelda though, and maybe less chance for free flying in the game which aint hanggliding?).

JC Lately

Thought this might happen. Bring it on if it helps load times (and maybe frame rate?). I got a TB sitting under my Wii U I've only barely put a dent in.

BHK3

Banned
My 8GB wii u wont be able to play it due to smash patch data + system data, I literally have 1.5 GB of free space.

I hope this means the Wii U actually reads simultaneously from the disc and the internal storage, as Xenoblade X's install didn't bother using the disc at all.

There probably wasn't doubt to flash cards being faster than optical.

That's not necessarily true, and it definitely wasn't true at the time Wii U launched. A lot comes down to the storage controller and speed of the flash memory itself. Both 3DS and Vita cards have slower load times than Wii U discs, for instance.

Switch has definitely seen an improvement on this but the question is how much, and whether a cheapo MicroSD used in the system will provide slower load times for digital games. I hope Nintendo has used a good storage controller so a 200GB UHS-1 class MicroSD (with transfer speeds of up to 300MB/s) can be utilised properly. Using faster storage in a 3DS provided no benefit to load times but a benefit to write times over the slow writeable memory in the game cards.

Im actually really impressed with that, I mean xenoblade X was 20 GB, 3 compared to that, in 2 games that looks kinda similar in some ways is nice (prob no mechs in zelda though, and maybe less chance for free flying in the game which aint hanggliding?).

Xenoblade X's install appeared to be a typical current gen install where the game only read from the install, only exception being the title screen where you can hear the disk seeking. Zelda's seems like it'll be used in tandem with reading off the disc.

Anyone with a 8GB Wii U and no hard drive better check their storage now, the system updates take up a bunch of room so you'll most likely have to delete some stuff to get over 3gb free.

With hardly anything on there apart from save games I have 3.4gb free...

Darn, so I basically have to wipe my whole 8 Gb Wii u just to play Zelda? I have no harddrive...

LordOfChaos

That seems atomic compared to the game patches I'm used to, lol. I guess in consideration for the max of 32GB internal in the Wii U it makes sense. I expect this is to utilize both drives to stream together to reduce pop in/load times?

For people (and I expect most gafers do?) who use an external HDD for the Wii U, a larger install base mode would be nice, to do more simultaneous streaming from both devices to avoid as much pop-in as possible.

Schlomo

You'll need to clean out much more than 3 GB too afaik. I believe you need double the space to download and install something on Wii U, that was a painful thing I learned with Xenoblade X on my 8 GB system.

RPGCrazied

No problem, probably would help even more if you can optionally install the entire game. I have over 400gb, so it doesn't matter to me.

Those with 32gb I feel sorry for.

DJ_Lae

I'm okay with this. I'd actually be just as okay if there was an optional full install (assuming it would aid performance even further).

I still have my PS4's old 500GB drive on my WiiU and it's proven to be absolute overkill for that console.

Top Bottom