• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: BoTW Wii U requires 3 GB install.

Tambini

You'll need to clean out much more than 3 GB too afaik. I believe you need double the space to download and install something on Wii U, that was a painful thing I learned with Xenoblade X on my 8 GB system.

If you need 6gb to install this thing then it will be impossible to play on a 8gb system without a hard drive, least amount you can get is like 4gb with all the firmware updates..ffs nintendo

FyreWulff

I'm surprised the game is so small, only 13gb's?

Open world games tend to be smaller in data size due to the fact that to fit into RAM, you tend to build everything out of similar assets to help hide streaming in new data cells/etc.

Voice also compresses really well, and in addition, I assume Nintendo is only including the voice acting for your console's set language

Mohasus

Anyone with a 8GB Wii U and no hard drive better check their storage now, the system updates take up a bunch of room so you'll most likely have to delete some stuff to get over 3gb free.

With hardly anything on there apart from save games I have 3.4gb free...

SSB patch is 3GB too, I had to uninstall Mario Kart 8 patches (500~MB) to update it.

So, basically if you have an 8GB Wii U, you have to uninstall everything else.

LordOfChaos

Are Blu-Rays still really slow reading data?

Yeah, Wii Us drive is 22.5MB/s, which is slower than even a mechanical hard drive by a fair amount. Even a mechanical hard drive on USB 2. Or SD or MicroSD or practically anything flash based these days. Blu rays were never really meant for as fast access to as much data as games have nowadays, hence mandatory installs on any physical PS4/XBO disk.

To the above, it's not licenced to play blu ray, but it seems to match up almost exactly to a single layer blu ray drive, just like the Wii used DVDs but could only play them with homebrew.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Hrmm...had no issues playing XBX install data off a USB stick. Can I not do the same truly here?

Anyone with a 8GB Wii U and no hard drive better check their storage now, the system updates take up a bunch of room so you'll most likely have to delete some stuff to get over 3gb free.

With hardly anything on there apart from save games I have 3.4gb free...

I'm probably screwed. I don't even know which version I have lol.

Gestault

That size is no problem, but I'm curious why flashdrives aren't compatible. My solution for Wii U storage is one of the high-speed, low-profile 32 gb flash-drives.

Hrmm...had no issues playing XBX install data off a USB stick. Can I not do the same truly here?

That and being able to play basically all other Wii U download titles directly from the flash-drive memory is making me wonder what's up.

FyreWulff

That size is no problem, but I'm curious why flashdrives aren't compatible. My solution for Wii U storage is one of the high-speed, low-profile 32 gb flash-drives.

That and being able to play basically all other Wii U download titles directly from the flash-drive memory is making me wonder what's up.

I don't think Watch Dog Wii U's mandatory install allows USB drives either. They probably don't want to deal with under-spec USB drives.

The 360 has a similar restriction, where if a game requires an HDD, you still can't use a USB drive, even after the update that let you install games to a USB drive.

FyreWulff

I don't think the system can tell the difference, they just don't recommend it. I did the same for XBX.

360 definitely can

Halo 3 and ODST will not allow campaign co-op online if you don't have an actual HDD.

Titanfall 360 at launch required an HDD.

Destiny 360 requires an actual HDD.

Halo Reach requires an actual hard drive to do online co-op unpatched, but the patch whitelists USB drives for that functionality.

there's a couple more i'm missing but can't remember right now.

Pokemaniac

Convenience, I think.

I think you can do it from in-game as well, but it's been a while, so I can't recall.

Nope, it's impossible to install them from the disc. I'd guess it's probably a limitation of the system where they'd have to duplicate data on the disc to do it, but there's no room left on the disc to do that.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Top Bottom