• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: Breath of the Wild: Launch trailer, JP boxart, March 3, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keikaku

I'm so excited to play this game and discover all it has to offer. I just purchased all the Zelda games I don't own to play through again. I know I'm not the only person who's going to be doing a Zelda gaming marathon in anticipation of this game!

MrGameBoy

While I know that the game allows for Joy-Con gyro control (when aiming), I have yet to see an answer to this particular question from anyone who has played holding them separately (without a Grip attachment): how are the motion controls handled, with one Joy-Con or both?

Cerium

Does anyone know if there will be a variety of Guardian drones other than the spider mechs seen predominantly in the trailers and demos?

I can't remember exactly where but I could've sworn I saw a Guardian that looked different. I think it was in a shrine or something. It might have had arms, I think? Possibly a mini-boss.

I didn't realize it at the time, but this looks so similar to the crystals the maidens (and Zelda herself) are preserved in in LttP. It's blockier and a different color, but still.

Zelda_ALttP_first_crystal.png

Then again, a crystal is a crystal.

Ooooohhhh nice catch :D

I'm so excited to play this game and discover all it has to offer. I just purchased all the Zelda games I don't own to play through again. I know I'm not the only person who's going to be doing a Zelda gaming marathon in anticipation of this game!

I'm doing a marathon too of the games I own, let's see how much I can finish before launch day, I might get some of the games I don't own. I am sure it will give me better perspective on Breath of the Wild when compared to previous games, and I am sure I won't burn out. Love the series too much.

Another thing I have been thinking on...Since the voice in the intro says wake up link, then it's safe to say that you can't rename the hero. It is Link no matter what.
I've been thinking this too but couldn't they just cut the audio before she says Link if you name yourself something else? So she'd just go "Wake up... Open your eyes..."

If there are other areas in the game she says Link, though, I think you're right and this is Link, period, no getting to rename him.

Yep gonna try to finally play through and beat Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword over the next ~month, though I still don't know if financially I'll be able to afford the Switch and BotW I have preordered. Car Registration is due Feb 20th and taxes due in April sooo $400 for Zelda and Switch in March might not be in the cards. ):

zeldablue

Dies literally 30 seconds after coming out of the Shrines of Resurrection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqHXqVpGPU0

Just gets out and runs straight off a cliff.
Pfffft! Oh man.

When I was playing the demo I was so excited to sprint around and then as I went over a hill I abruptly stopped and realized I could probably end up stupidly falling off a ledge while sprinting.

This guy did exactly what I feared. I feel like environmental deaths are going to kill Link more than anything else possibly could.

Show me some of your favs

I like this one. They get sooooooo hyped over Link x Zelda
https://youtu.be/pu0Cip1vEWU?t=7m57s

My hype grows with each day. The trailer is so good that I can't fucking stand the wait. Not sure yet how I am going to handle two of my most-wanted games of 2017 launching so close together (this and Torment.) Both huge games that will obv require serious investment.

I will already be playing Torment when Zelda releases, but I will HAVE to dive in day one. I have a feeling Zelda's gonna win this battle.

I've been watching the trailer daily and I get hyped and goosebumps every damn time. I'm not doing a daaaaaamn thing the weekend it's out.

they will also occasionally be found by searching through certain objects in the world like decaying inanimate guardians (if stuff from the e3 demo holds true in to the final build)

when he says barter he means that you'll be able to exchange materials and weapons gathered in your travels to various shop keepers. Rupees seem like theyre part of a realistic economy and have true value

I've been curious about this too, as the gyro control also pertains to certain rune abilities

Can you please elaborate?

In one of the interviews as of late, they mention that you used to be able to find Rupees by cutting grass, but now they mainly come from bartering/trading/selling items - for example, you hunt a bunch of animals and then sell their meat, or if you have an excess of a certain type of item, you can sell your duplicates for Rupees.

Man, will this finally be the first natural hard Zelda since Zelda II ?

Probably not. There's a lot of healing items and healing is relatively trivial compared to Zelda II. That doesn't mean you shouldn't be concerned about health and can ignore the Cooking mechanic because many enemies 1-3HKO Link. In fact I like that the Cooking mechanic Gradually becomes more important as you increase your health because it costs many more regular pick ups to fully heal link due to their range of healing being half to a full heart. Which means that consequently, the knowledge of various cooking pots in the world becomes useful. The Level design seems smart enough to not put most cooking pots and shrines close together so there's still a risk of wasting resources.

Checkpointing also seems relatively common but I like that Time rewinds on death so if you do get stuck in a tricky spot like being stuck in the rain, you still have to tough it out or leave for the time being. So the game treats most small "sections" as individual encounters rather than a gauntlet like it was in the NES Zeldas.

It's probably not going to be a "Hard" game like Dark Souls or anything because Dark Souls was based on the idea of a Gauntlet (Dark 2 handled things more on a per encounter basis). But overall, the game is likely to be much more varied, dynamic and engaging than any Zelda since Zelda II when it comes to difficulty.

Reviews copied will probably go out in the next couple weeks.

I wonder when's the review embargo? Launch day to try to avoid spoilers perhaps?

In one of the interviews as of late, they mention that you used to be able to find Rupees by cutting grass, but now they mainly come from bartering/trading/selling items - for example, you hunt a bunch of animals and then sell their meat, or if you have an excess of a certain type of item, you can sell your duplicates for Rupees.

Cool. I assume I'll be able to buy weapons, arrows, red potions, green potions, blue potions, deku nuts, and food.

Edit: Actually, I just realized, we haven't seen any indication of magic in this game. There might not be green potions.

Probably not. There's a lot of healing items and healing is relatively trivial compared to Zelda II. That doesn't mean you shouldn't be concerned about health and can ignore the Cooking mechanic because many enemies 1-3HKO Link. In fact I like that the Cooking mechanic Gradually becomes more important as you increase your health because it costs many more regular pick ups to fully heal link due to their range of healing being half to a full heart. Which means that consequently, the knowledge of various cooking pots in the world becomes useful. The Level design seems smart enough to not put most cooking pots and shrines close together so there's still a risk of wasting resources.

Checkpointing also seems relatively common but I like that Time rewinds on death so if you do get stuck in a tricky spot like being stuck in the rain, you still have to tough it out or leave for the time being. So the game treats most small "sections" as individual encounters rather than a gauntlet like it was in the NES Zeldas.

It's probably not going to be a "Hard" game like Dark Souls or anything because Dark Souls was based on the idea of a Gauntlet (Dark 2 handled things more on a per encounter basis). But overall, the game is likely to be much more varied, dynamic and engaging than any Zelda since Zelda II when it comes to difficulty.

So consequences for death at this point seem to just be the obvious fact that any temporary stat buff effects you had active due to food/potions are wasted, or does the game send you back to the nearest auto save prior to you consuming that item? I'd hope there's some consequences. Maybe if you had a companion with you that you had tamed they'll be gone when you respawn?

Who else thinks that this is the ultimate "The Legend of Zelda" game in the eyes of Shigeru Miyamoto and Eiji Aonuma?

I ask this based on the fact that Nintendo's official Twitter posted this picture on New Year's Day:

the-legend-of-zelda.jpg

This is a blatant homage to the original 1986 Famicom Disk System game - with this art featured in the instruction manual:

legend_of_zelda_conceptart_tcdh9.jpg

I'm thinking that "The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild" is what Shigeru Miyamoto had in mind when he first came up with the original concept for "The Legend of Zelda", but technology wouldn't allow him to see his complete vision at the time.

This really makes me excited for BotW, because it's actually a culmination of everything Miyamoto-san always wanted to do with the concept:

~Embarking on a grand adventure, discovering and exploring new lands, hunting for food to survive, trading goods for financial gain to further your cause, creeping cautiously into dilapidated, atmospheric ruins/dungeons/shrines, realizing your purpose and having the courage to accomplish the deeds that will eventually lead you to becoming a hero, conquering evil and defeating foes in epic battles, acquiring new items to help you on your quest, seeking out a legendary weapon/sword to defeat evil, meeting new and interesting people, making friends, finding a mighty steed/mount to aid you in traversing the land, dealing with trials that test your mettle as a hero, saving the woman you love, having a day/night cycle, real-time weather with overcast/light rain/heavy rain/thunderstorms/snow, climate changes, *possibly* even seasonal changes and making it aesthetically, a playable Anime~

I really can't think of anything else they could possibly cram into a "The Legend of Zelda"/fantasy game.

So consequences for death at this point seem to just be the obvious fact that any temporary stat buff effects you had active due to food/potions are wasted, or does the game send you back to the nearest auto save prior to you consuming that item? I'd hope there's some consequences. Maybe if you had a companion with you that you had tamed they'll be gone when you respawn?

I don't really know about that. It'd be something you'd have to discover. I'd expect them to be a bit forgiving because it's a Zelda game and the great strength of Zelda games isn't really their difficulty but rather their variety without being dissatisfying to play in most respects (many games fall flat on their face when aping Zelda for a reason), and that's why BoTW is so exciting to me. Because it looks to be the most Varied Zelda due to how Link's Moveset and all the expansive systems of the game seem to flow so well together.

Who else thinks that this is the ultimate "The Legend of Zelda" game in the eyes of Shigeru Miyamoto and Eiji Aonuma?

I ask this based on the fact that Nintendo's official Twitter posted this picture on New Year's Day:

the-legend-of-zelda.jpg

This is a blatant homage to the original 1986 Famicom Disk System game - with this art featured in the instruction manual:

I'm thinking that "The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild" is what Shigeru Miyamoto had in mind when he first came up with the original concept for "The Legend of Zelda", but technology wouldn't allow him to see his complete vision at the time.

This really makes me excited for BotW, because it's really a culmination of everything he always wanted to do.

Embarking on a grand adventure, hunting for food to survive, trading goods for financial gain, exploring new lands, discovering your purpose - deeds that lead you to becoming a hero, conquering evil and defeating foes in epic battles, creeping into dilapidated ruins and atmospheric dungeons/shrines, meeting new and interesting people, making friends, acquiring new items to help you on your quest, finding a mighty steed as your mount to aid in traversing the land, having a day and night cycle, real-time weather, climate changes and possibly even seasonal changes and making it aesthetically like a playable Anime.

I really can't think of anything else they could possibly cram into a Zelda game.

In an interview aonuma said that this is the ultimate, most complete zelda that his could make right now, but they can evolve even more in the future, according to him . I don't think there's seasonal changes though.

LotusHD

Banned

the-legend-of-zelda.jpg

This really makes me excited for BotW, because it's really a culmination of everything he always wanted to do.

Embarking on a grand adventure, hunting for food to survive, trading goods for financial gain, exploring new lands, discovering your purpose - deeds that lead you to becoming a hero, conquering evil and defeating foes in epic battles, creeping into dilapidated ruins and atmospheric dungeons/shrines, meeting new and interesting people, making friends, acquiring new items to help you on your quest, finding a mighty steed as your mount to aid in traversing the land, having a day and night cycle, real-time weather, climate changes and possibly even seasonal changes and making it aesthetically like a playable Anime.

I really can't think of anything else they could possibly cram into a Zelda game.

Uhh that's great, exactly why it's a possible GOTY/GOTG, but I'mma wait to actually play it before deciding on that prematurely lol

And as stated, Aonuma doesn't see the game as nothing that can't be topped, which sounds great, seeing as how great this game is already likely to be.

In an interview aonuma said that this is the ultimate, most complete zelda that his could make right now, but they can evolve even more in the future, according to him . I don't think there's seasonal changes though.

I'm still adding things to that post lol!

I only mentioned the seasonal changes thing because in one of the trailers it showed Autumn leaves and I'm just hoping-beyond-hope - since everyone is always asking for that sort of thing in every open-world game - that they've included it :)

Uhh that's great, exactly why it's a possible GOTY/GOTG, but I'mma wait to actually play it before deciding on that prematurely lol

And as stated, Aonuma doesn't see the game as nothing that can't be topped, which sounds great, seeing as how great this game is already likely to be.

And the beautiful things about videogames is that they can always be more ambitious with the next title because of technology and better understanding of the design of the game. The best thing is this game is basically my dream game, doubly so because it's in the zelda series. But i don't want it to be the BEST game forever, I want it to be the best game from nintendo/of the zelda series yet. I have no doubt that they can do even better in the future, just like with any other franchise.

I don't really know about that. It'd be something you'd have to discover. I'd expect them to be a bit forgiving because it's a Zelda game and the great strength of Zelda games isn't really their difficulty but rather their variety without being dissatisfying to play in most respects (many games fall flat on their face when aping Zelda for a reason), and that's why BoTW is so exciting to me. Because it looks to be the most Varied Zelda due to how Link's Moveset and all the expansive systems of the game seem to flow so well together.

Oh I'm not saying it wont be extremely engaging and fun. My painfully brief time with it back in June already largely confirmed that in my mind. I'm just saying that I'd like for the tension of combat to be predicated on something. I'm already going to be role playing this game heavily, aiming for a deathless run through plenty of preparation and caution, but I'd just like to know that game over's arent just a tool; a point at which the game tells you 'hey it's cool dude, get back out there knowing what you know. take that lesson to heart'

not a huge deal by any means but a hope of mine

Avixph

Oh okay.

And the beautiful things about videogames is that they can always be more ambitious with the next title because of technology and better understanding of the design of the game. The best thing is this game is basically my dream game, doubly so because it's in the zelda series. But i don't want it to be the BEST game forever, I want it to be the best game from nintendo/of the zelda series yet. I have no doubt that they can do even better in the future, just like with any other franchise.

I finally finished editing my post above, so please have a look!

Based on all of that being in Breath of the Wild, I really can't see Nintendo ever improving Zelda as a fantasy game. The Anime aesthetic really sells it - and it's perfect in Breath of the Wild.

BotW has all the tropes and necessities of the fantasy genre and as far as I can see, they haven't left anything out. If anyone can mention anything I didn't mention that will not be in this game, I would love to hear it lol!

Based on all of that being in Breath of the Wild, I really can't see them ever improving Zelda as a fantasy game. The Anime aesthetic really sells it - and it's perfect in Breath of the Wild.

BotW has all the tropes and necessities of the fantasy genre and as far as I can see, they haven't left anything out. If anyone can mention anything I didn't mention that will not be in this game, I would love to hear it lol!

I know what you are saying, i myself love what they are doing with this game and it seems the culmination of years of work. This seems like the natural evolution of the zelda series. And i think that this is what is great, they have a new formula that can now be used for future titles, just like ocarina was the roadmap for future games of the series until now.

Kevin

Based on all of that being in Breath of the Wild, I really can't see Nintendo ever improving Zelda as a fantasy game. The Anime aesthetic really sells it - and it's perfect in Breath of the Wild.

Sadly it looks like fishing with the fishing pole is out. So far no mention. Also no hookshot, no musical instruments, no boats (other then a raft) which is sort of weird for such a massive world.

There might be more stuff that is missing but who knows. Mine you, it's nitpicking but I was really hoping that the fishing pole would return. Would be neat to go out in a boat and fish in one of those nicely sized lakes.

WadeitOut

How can you complain about there being a raft in Zelda. Rafts and Zelda turned me into the professional raft liker that I am today.

Cerium

What if I'm not content with a raft? What if I want the King of Red Lions?

Shit I would really love it if they just went overboard with the series fanservice. The instrument is the Ocarina of Time. We can ride on the King of Red Lions. We can obtain the Fierce Deity's Mask. Give it all to me!

Sadly it looks like fishing with the fishing pole is out. So far no mention. Also no hookshot, no musical instruments, no boats (other then a raft) which is sort of weird for such a massive world.

There might be more stuff that is missing but who knows. Mine you, it's nitpicking but I was really hoping that the fishing pole would return. Would be neat to go out in a boat and fish in one of those nicely sized lakes.

I'm sure that there's tons of content that we haven't seen yet! Fishing is something that Nintendo EPD knows fans love and I'm sure it will be in there somewhere ;)

What if I'm not content with a raft? What if I want the King of Red Lions?

Shit I would really love it if they just went overboard with the series fanservice. The instrument is the Ocarina of Time. We can ride on the King of Red Lions. We can obtain the Fierce Deity's Mask. Give it all to me!

Couldn't they just produce a King of Red Lions Amiibo?

Hell, they never showed TOWNS for like the first 5 months of us knowing the title. There's always sense to expect a bit more than what a trailer will show.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

The "catch" is that they cannot go back after this. There's just no way they could go from something as grand and open as this back to something with a more traditional Zelda world and structure. At least I would be extremely disappointed if they did that. It would feel like a massive regression. So they've kind of locked themselves into Zelda as this massive open action RPG now. Which I'm very happy about. This is the Zelda I've wanted ever since I saw the first screenshots of OoT.

Also it seems that we may get some sort of grappling/tethering arrow for the bow that will achieve some of what a hookshot achieves.

The next 6 weeks will be grueling. Excruciating.

Has any game franchise made the sort of incomprehensible leap forward in nearly every aspect as it seems BotW has directly following Sykward Sword? Console entry to console entry? Sure ALttP to OoT was massive in many ways, presentation especially, but the pacing of those two games is actually fairly similar. ALttP laid tons of groundwork for this series for decades to follow.

I mean.... fuck.

Maaaaaaybe Metal Gear on NES to Metal Gear Solid? That' hardly fair though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom