• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: Breath of the Wild: Launch trailer, JP boxart, March 3, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just leaving these here.

tumblr_ojzlxsWQob1ufr0jio1_1280.jpg

legend_of_zelda_breath_of_the_wild_art_113297_1920x1080.jpg

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Also it seems that we may get some sort of grappling/tethering arrow for the bow that will achieve some of what a hookshot achieves.

The next 6 weeks will be grueling. Excruciating.

Has any game franchise made the sort of incomprehensible leap forward in nearly every aspect as it seems BotW has directly following Sykward Sword? Console entry to console entry? Sure ALttP to OoT was massive in many ways, presentation especially, but the pacing of those two games is actually fairly similar. ALttP laid tons of groundwork for this series for decades to follow.

I mean.... fuck.

The Witcher sort of made a similar leap. Not in every way (as it was already pretty advanced in many ways), but in terms of world size and openness. TW2 was pretty linear, with small-ish unconnected areas. Then along comes TW3 with its massive open world ready to be explored.

Just leaving these here.

Link's pose in the second one looks so dumb. Hate that they chose it for the EU boxart.

This is the Zelda I've wanted ever since I saw the first screenshots of OoT.

Me too :)

By the way, I was watching Studio Ghibli's "Princess Mononoke" tonight and I noticed this:

tumblr_nky1gxRy5E1un5c3co1_500.png

So, sometimes art imitates life, sometimes art imitates art - and occasionally - sometimes art and film imitates games :)

- or at least homages and draws inspiration from them ;)

Charamiwa

Banned
The initial reveal trailer with Eiji Aonuma sitting in the foreground and saying "That's one convention we can keep, right?" - in it, at the very start, they had the sunlight at *just the right angle* so that it was dancing across the top of the grass, giving it that white sheen. In some of the other trailers, the grass shows up mostly green, thus leading some to believe that there was a downgrade - but in the newer, near-final build footage, it does the same thing as the reveal trailer; so it's all dependent on what angle/time of day it's being viewed from.

I've also noticed that in the new, near-final build footage, that shadows are cast by the clouds on the ground, which wasn't apparent until now.

I think in the launch trailer, the texturing, animations and environmental detail are even better than the reveal trailer. I wouldn't say that they've downgraded the game in the slightest. In fact, they've improved it. The game looks more like a playable anime now than it did in the reveal trailer. I would go as far as to say that this game looks more like a playable anime than even "Anubis: Zone of the Enders" ["Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner" here in the states] - and that's truly amazing to say!

Maybe it's just that the footage we've been seeing recently is on the Nintendo Switch and that is what makes the difference; but if that's the version you purchase, you are getting a version that is as good as or even better than the initial reveal trailer.

I think if you were to put the camera at the exact same place as it was in the reveal, the details in the background would be nowhere near the same level of quality. And I doubt it was only 900p either.

Thing is, when everything is up close, the game looks wonderful, especially with a depth of field effect. Like a proper animated movie. But as soon as there is a wide shot, the draw distance isn't up to par and the texture filtering is awful. It's especially apparent during the horse rides when he follows a path. That path is super blurry like 5 meters is front of Link and the fields are just a flat green texture.

That's why there are some unflattering screenshots making rounds in the DF or Horizon comparison threads. You can shitpost endlessly about the texture filtering and draw distance in this game. But when it's up close or in the shrines, oh man it's so beautiful.

bigmac996

It felt like an homage.

It's sadly most definitely not an homage. Miyazaki has a massive distaste for video games despite Ghibli having a hand in the industry. He's extremely stubborn and close-minded. It's part of what makes his work unpretentious and original I suppose.

That said, Zelda is definitely taking inspiration from him. Curious what Miyazaki's reaction would be if he were to see the game.

The Witcher sort of made a similar leap. Not in every way (as it was already pretty advanced in many ways), but in terms of world size and openness. TW2 was pretty linear, with small-ish unconnected areas. Then along comes TW3 with its massive open world ready to be explored.

true true, but Im also talking in terms of overall framework and mechanics. like theyre just weaving together every single new design idea and system they've wanted to implement for years along with plenty of defining series mainstays.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
So, there's no way to use the Link Wolf Amiibo without having a Wii U and a copy of the TP remaster?

To me it would feel wrong to have Wolf Link as a companion. He shouldn't exist in this world, he's (probably) from a completely different timeline.

I'm assuming you're gonna be able to have other animals as companions (which would feel more authentic), and that the Amiibo just gives you the Wolf Link-skinned one.

true true, but Im also talking in terms of overall framework and mechanics. like theyre just weaving together every single new design idea and system they've wanted to implement for years along with plenty of defining series mainstays.

For sure. I'm a bit shocked that they're throwing away so many series conventions and introducing so many new mechanics all at one, and I love it.

kami_sama

To me it would feel wrong to have Wolf Link as a companion. He shouldn't exist in this world, he's (probably) from a completely different timeline.

I'm assuming you're gonna be able to have other animals as companions (which would feel more authentic), and that the Amiibo just gives you the Wolf Link-skinned one.

I still want it. TP was my first 3d Zelda game, so having Wolf Link would be great for me.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
YES, my Zelda vacation got approved. 10 days of BotW, my first week off in ages. Man how I'm looking forward to this.

YES, my Zelda vacation got approved. 10 days of BotW, my first week off in ages. Man how I'm looking forward to this.

Telling your coworkers you're traveling to Hyrule with stops at Lake Hylia and Death Mountain?

Congrats on those nicely timed vacation days. Should be a good time!

KHlover

Banned
Congrats:D

When I had to turn in my vacation plans for the year I kept my vacation for March vague on purpose, now I know for sure I'll take March 6th to March 10th off :D

Coffinhal

Me too :)

By the way, I was watching Studio Ghibli's "Princess Mononoke" tonight and I noticed this:

tumblr_nky1gxRy5E1un5c3co1_500.png

So, sometimes art imitates life, sometimes art imitates art - and occasionally - sometimes art and film imitates games :)

- or at least homages and draws inspiration from them ;)

Such bullshit, the Triforce symbol wasn't invented at all by Zelda and has deeper roots in
Japan history, in which Mononoke Hime is taken place.

So, there's no way to use the Link Wolf Amiibo without having a Wii U and a copy of the TP remaster?

You can buy the amiibo by itself, you don't need to have to full game or a save file on the amiibo to use it. As I understand it, though, if you do have the game and have used the Wolf Link amiibo, however many hearts you have in TP:HD, your Wolf companion in BotW will have the same stamina.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I can't stop watching this trailer. I have been watching it for 5 to 6 times everyday since Switch has been revealed.
Chill on the Zelda intake bro. The game will be out soon.

Hobbun

Has anyone heard the word on pieces of heart? I can see Link has the traditional heart life and assume you will get heart containers for defeating dungeons, but I haven’t heard anything about the collect-athon for pieces of heart?

I know it certainly is quite cliched, but it’s very much a part of Zelda for me and hope to see it in this game as well.

Has anyone heard the word on pieces of heart? I can see Link has the traditional heart life and assume you will get heart containers for defeating dungeons, but I haven’t heard anything about the collect-athon for pieces of heart?

I know it certainly is quite cliched, but it’s very much a part of Zelda for me and hope to see it in this game as well.

i have a feeling that they will move that to crafting.
basically you have to find the right ingredients for a heart powerup mix or whatever.

HylianTom

Banned
Here's an interesting nugget I noticed last night:
E0F942D7-BEA4-43D4-8641-B399270C3FC9.jpeg

"Call your horse or other companion to you."

I wonder whom we'll be playing with?
(anyone besides Wolf Link?)

BY2K

Membero Americo

Well we know dogs will follow you too, if you give them food.

But "other companion" seems pretty broad.

Maybe there's some section of the game where you are with Zelda or other NPCs?

Hobbun

i have a feeling that they will move that to crafting.
basically you have to find the right ingredients for a heart powerup mix or whatever.

Well, I have always loved crafting in my games, if it is done well. So I am willing to give it a chance for BotW and intrigued how it is handled (if this is what they end up doing).

Xdrive05

I'm impressed by how little we still know about this game. Everyone needs to be on guard for spoilers in the coming weeks. I'm sure someone will get ahold of a Wii-U disc early, and then it's bomb shelter time.

Do we know if there are major dungeons in this game? The box says something about exploring 100 shrines which kind of makes me think that's where all the dungeonesque content will be.

I'm sure it's for maybe dogs? I'm thinking Wolf Link is essentially a reakin of dogs with specific stats. Also maybe a dungeon involves an npc.

Do we know if there are major dungeons in this game? The box says something about exploring 100 shrines which kind of makes me think that's where all the dungeonesque content will be.

Dungeons have been confirmed several times. We don't know how many- the rumor from E3 was 4 but we don't know if that's true.

I had a crazy thought late last night - what if Zelda is the Navi/Tael/Midna/Fi of this game? Not at the start, but after a certain point in the game. She provides information on things Link/the player wouldn't know, and guides us around.

Obviously the "call" changes depending on who's with you...
I'm sure a whistle would still be fine. Their might be a few cat call jokes but without Link speaking I'm not sure how else he would signal his companion (human or not) to come closer. If the whistle is used to summon a human/hylian companion I hope they will have a programed reaction of annoyance if the player spams the whistle call.

xtianmarq

Nothing beyond mere speculation. Aonuma has only gone on record as saying that there will be larger dungeons in the game but has not hinted at how many, themes, etc.

Charamiwa

Banned
Has Gamexplain does their analysis of the newest trailer yet?? I don't remember them usually taking this long.

Andre was working on a Mario Odyssey analysis first and even that's not out. So it'll take a while.

I think the huge work that was the E3 analysis plus the fact that there's already some pretty great analysis out there of the trailer isn't very encouraging to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom