• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: Breath of the Wild: Launch trailer, JP boxart, March 3, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hobbun

Typically it's the opposite. The more of the main quest you do, the better ending you get. So I wouldn't worry in this case.

Like, if you defeat Ganon but don't have the Master Sword, it might mean that he's only gone for a short time and not sealed away, but if you go through the main quest and restore the Master Sword, he is much deader/sealed away for good (obviously not for good, this is LoZ after all).

Yes, that definitely makes sense. And would work for me.

JonnyKong

He just reconfirmed that you can go to the hyrule castle AND fight the boss there, not just go there and find a blocked door or anything like that as we discussed before.

Wasn't it hinted in the Treehouse segment that the entrance to the castle will be guarded by...well, guardians. I can't imagine they'll be easy to get past so early into the game.

Dystify

New weekly facebook image: Deer!

Many animals inhabit the lush forests of Hyrule, including these deer.

C2oylsxWgAUam-C.jpg

(https://www.facebook.com/LegendofZe...177419710063/1288385867889207/?type=3&theater)

I really wonder if potential DLC will be an option for this game. Additional shrines? New locations? New dungeons? Etc.

It's not like Nintendo is shy about DLC and some games like Fire Emblem and Mario Kart have had a lot. I'd actually be done for new Zelda content. Especially if it looks like it will be another several years before we get another one.

Edit: Final game footage.

So was it settled that the floor demo for the Switch at the recent events was the E3 Wii U demo just put on the Switch? Going by this new footage the weather icon, etc is all there from the start. It was said that the floor demo didn't have those icons right? Or is that incorrect?

Looks like some publications (GameSpot, polygon) got a demo of the version with the weather forecast but the show floor off-plateau rep-played one didn't. I don't know what differences there are supposed to be besides that, obviously the one in Europe is still a timed demo too.

AdanVC

The master and special editions look cool but not cool enough for that prices IMHO. I will skip them and simply buy a regular copy. Six weeks left!

WOW

I didn't even notice the lighting differences. It is especially apparent in darker areas. Wii U lighting is significantly better. WTF

They may have changed / downgraded the lighting in the Wii U game as well.

If not...holy shit.

Also, there is no way the German demo posted a bit earlier is the final game. The weather icon isn't on the screen. Unless, for some reason, that icon doesn't show up in the UI until after the plateau, which would be weird.

If not...holy shit.

Also, there is no way the German demo posted a bit earlier is the final game. The weather icon isn't on the screen. Unless, for some reason, that icon doesn't show up in the UI until after the plateau, which would be weird.

Yeah, the exterior lighting looks the same [even better on Switch]- but that interior lighting is definitely downgraded. Nintendo needs to remedy this asap!!

brad-t

All this hand-wringing over lighting in a sequence in the game that lasts a few seconds, shown in demos. We'll have the full game soon enough, so let's wait and see?

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!

If not...holy shit.

I very much doubt it's final retail, despite what Aonuma said, but the weather icon does appear after the Tower scene once you've talked to the Old Man. Most likely the weather effects in the game are disabled until that point to entrust there are clear skies for that scene. After that though the time/weather forecast icon appears on the HUD.

All this hand-wringing over lighting in a sequence in the game that lasts a few seconds, shown in demos. We'll have the full game soon enough, so let's wait and see?

It's not just the Resurrection Shrine, all the shrines and several objects in the game seem to be affected. Obviously nothing is final, it is just an observation of a change in the quality. It's incredibly unlikely this is only an issue with the Switch version but most likely something that will affect both if it is indeed a deliberate downgrade and not just a bug in the build they are using.

Wait, people think the wii u version looks better? Oh...

Looking through demo screenshots people can see there are lighting changes during the beginning scene indoors. Because the Wii U would had a bit more dynamic lighting while the Switch demo opted for more fog effects, you can make the argument that it's a downgrade in that specific moment.

On a more petty note I inherently distrust any sort of analysis SuperMetalDave makes, so I'll just wait for DF to do it.

I very much doubt it's final retail, despite what Aonuma said, but the weather icon does appear after the Tower scene once you've talked to the Old Man. Most likely the weather effects in the game are disabled until that point to entrust there are clear skies for that scene. After that though the time/weather forecast icon appears on the HUD.

Ahhh you're right! I missed that.

Looking through demo screenshots people can see there are lighting changes during the beginning scene indoors. Because the Wii U would had a bit more dynamic lighting while the Switch demo opted for more fog effects, you can make the argument that it's a downgrade in that specific moment.

It's not just that part of the game. The lighting in shrines is now brighter as well. It might be just be an artistic change or something, but it's still a disappointment.

den

On a more petty note I inherently distrust any sort of analysis SuperMetalDave makes, so I'll just wait for DF to do it.

Seems like less less of a downgrade and more of an intentional change to boost visual quality. In fact if you look at gamexplain's comparison video when link goes outside and the cutscene on the ridge begins you can tell that in the wiiu version non of the objects in the distance including the trees on the plateau are properly lit.

I mean the resolution differences, the draw distance and textures are clearly better on the switch

Oh, so applies to day/night cycle too, interesting

Xdrive05

I noticed there was illumination on Link in that starting cave when he opened a chest. It just wasn't as pronounced as on the E3 demo. Also there was still some slowdown in this one, that wasn't in the v1.0 Treehouse demo. Very strange.

Effect

Ahhh you're right! I missed that.

It's not just that part of the game. The lighting in shrines is now brighter as well. It might be just be an artistic change or something, but it's still a disappointment.

At this time it might be more of a difference and preference then a downgrade. One might be more taxing then other other and it could be that the Wii U can't handle all the fog, etc so they opted for another effect.

The fact that all of the missing* effects have to do with lighting happening in a dark space makes me think you're right that this is simply a case of them cranking up the ambient lighting indoors.

Which is a poor decision I think, but perhaps they really wanted you to see Link at the beginning of the game? You can see him much more clearly (with brighter colors) in the Switch version.

*And they are clearly present in the rest of the game too, so it's not as if the hardware can't handle those effects at all.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Oh, so applies to day/night cycle too, interesting

Probably. The clock probably starts running after you gain control on the top of the tower as it normally says something like 9:26 or something once you reach the bottom and finish talking to the old man. So it either starts at 8am or 9am at that point.

Based on the older Wii U demo, the interior lighting is ambient - and on the Switch it's strangely absent...

The beginning of the E3 demo gives a sense of mystery and confusion. I loved it. It's like you're waking up in some pod on a spaceship. It feels very "science fiction" and it makes Link's eventual exit out into the wild more breathtaking, in my opinion. The outside world sharply contrasts the Shrine of Resurrection, which I felt was actually a good thing.

But, to be fair, I'm kind of nitpicking. A lot of it has to do with me watching far too much of the E3 demo last year and really falling in love with how it looked.

The beginning of the E3 demo gives a sense of mystery and confusion. I loved it. It's like you're waking up in some pod on a spaceship. It feels very "science fiction" and it makes Link's eventual exit out into the wild more breathtaking, in my opinion. The outside world sharply contrasts the Shrine of Resurrection, which I felt was actually a good thing.

But, to be fair, I'm kind of nitpicking. A lot of it has to do with me watching far too much of the E3 demo last year and really falling in love with how it looked.

I agree.

The light streaming into the room at the beginning creates a stark contrast with the gloomy, blue-hued room and it's sad that they apparently removed it :(

Looking through some of the footage it's amazing how many Dark Souls vibes I am getting. I know I know, "I don't want no Dark Souls in my Zelda!" but mechanically BotW is looking very similar in some key ways.

Stamina bar/wheel, perfectly timed parry, high damage per hit with low health, varied armor sets, varied weapon sets (one handed, two handed, some slower, some faster)...

Zelda has so much more beyond the combat too, so it's making me (a huge Zelda and Souls fan) incredibly excited.

PrimeBeef

Based on the older Wii U demo, the interior lighting is ambient - and on the Switch it's strangely absent...

Don't forget, The Switch version has less than a year of work put into it and they were going to release it at launch. So I would not be surprised if this port did not take advantage of what the switch can do in order to get it playable for March.

Don't forget, The Switch version has less than a year of work put into it and they were going to release it at launch. So I would not be surprised if this port did not take advantage of what the switch can do in order to get it playable for March.

They still have time to add it back in, don't they?

I mean Nintendo has to read these forums to know that we're disappointed that the lighting was changed, right?

Felensis

Banned
GAF I was at the Switch Fan Event in Munich this week. You can even see me several times in the background in this official video:

https://youtu.be/XzSr4Nmk_OM

Right after the beginning I'm right behind Aounuma, the guy in the white shirt :D

Now the important part:
I've played the demo of Zelda twice there and was baffled by it's weak graphics. 30fps, often less, framedrops, low textures, low resolution, no AA etc.

Now I'm watching the video linked above where they say they play the final version with Aounuma on this particular Switch while the other devices are running the old demo.

In this video to me it looks like stable 60fps, much better resolution, lightning, textures and slightly more details like grass and stones compared to the demo I've played twice :eek:

What do you guys think about it?

We're not talking about adding effects to the Switch game, but rather taking them away, giving the WiI U a visual advantage in some instances...

That would not be a good look for Nintendo.

LotusHD

Banned
GAF I was at the Switch Fan Event in Munich this week. You can even see me several times in the background in this official video:

Right after the beginning I'm right behind Aounuma, the guy in the white shirt :D

Now the important part:
I've played the demo of Zelda twice there and was baffled by it's weak graphics. 30fps, often less, framedrops, low detail textures, Lew resolution, no AA etc.

Now I'm watching the video linked above where they say they play the final version with Aounuma on this particular Switch while the other devices are running the old demo.

In this video to me it looks like stable 60fps, much better resolution, lightning, textures and slightly more details like grass and stones compared to the demo I've played twice :eek:

Well... as long as the final build is an improvement, I'm happy lol

Wasn't it hinted in the Treehouse segment that the entrance to the castle will be guarded by...well, guardians. I can't imagine they'll be easy to get past so early into the game.

Yeah, already I saw a demo where they got summarily wrecked with one laser beam just for going a little bit too close. I think this was near the horse stable that is left of you leaving the plateau for the first time.

My theory about the 5 pillars is that 1 is linked to clearing some amount of shrines and the 4 are related to (and includes the insides of, but not that the dungeons are entirely the inside of) the monsters. Not super original or thought provoking but it seems to be the likely path. As much as I'd love 5 dungeons of course.

Drackhorn

Now the important part:
I've played the demo of Zelda twice there and was baffled by it's weak graphics. 30fps, often less, framedrops, low textures, low resolution, no AA etc.

What do you guys think about it?

Still some pop-in like the rocks suddenly appearing in that video at 13:08 for example. Hope they can fix that before release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom