• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: Breath of the Wild: Launch trailer, JP boxart, March 3, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
10 days, wow! Careful bud, too much of a good thing... pace yourself to a degree

I'll probably play some other stuff as well. I just love having a week to nerd out.

Telling your coworkers you're traveling to Hyrule with stops at Lake Hylia and Death Mountain?

Congrats on those nicely timed vacation days. Should be a good time!

My answer for what I'm doing will be 'relaxing at home' :p

Congrats:D

When I had to turn in my vacation plans for the year I kept my vacation for March vague on purpose, now I know for sure I'll take March 6th to March 10th off :D

Also congrats. If there's one game that deserves a couple days of full attention, it's this.

iFirez

Guys we're six weeks from a brand new Zelda game.

In six weeks I'll be on my sofa playing this game. Holy shit.

6 weeks today exactly, its kind of wild. No pun intended.

It kind of feels much closer than 6 weeks though because February is notorious for being a short month (because it is) and we're in the last week of January after this weekend.

zeldablue

Oh I'm not saying it wont be extremely engaging and fun. My painfully brief time with it back in June already largely confirmed that in my mind. I'm just saying that I'd like for the tension of combat to be predicated on something. I'm already going to be role playing this game heavily, aiming for a deathless run through plenty of preparation and caution, but I'd just like to know that game over's arent just a tool; a point at which the game tells you 'hey it's cool dude, get back out there knowing what you know. take that lesson to heart'

not a huge deal by any means but a hope of mine

There doesn't seem to be much of a penalty for death (Besides wasting health and stuff)
However, you're map will show X's for where you died and it will say "RIP" on those X's.

I'm not sure if there is any story or gameplay significance to this, like...maybe Link drops his loot when you dies or maybe the marks are just a way to show the player where the dangerous areas are.

I'm taking off the 3rd and going back the 12th, but I'm also working the 5th. Sundays at my job are very chill and I'd hate to waste a vacation day on a Sunday.

Will likely be splitting my time between Zelda and horizon

Caelus

There doesn't seem to be much of a penalty for death (Besides wasting health and stuff)
However, you're map will show X's for where you died and it will say "RIP" on those X's.

I'm not sure if there is any story or gameplay significance to this, like...maybe Link drops his loot when you dies or maybe the marks are just a way to show the player where the dangerous areas are.

Time turns back to the last save point, I think, which forces a waiting period for any time-based events.

What do we know about any time-based events thus far?

NPCs move around on Schedules and the Weather system for each region. I just realized we know nothing about other forms of weather which is odd. Rainstorms completely change the game so I wonder if other weather conditions can be as detailed.

BY2K

Membero Americo
NPCs move around on Schedules and the Weather system for each region. I just realized we know nothing about other forms of weather which is odd. Rainstorms completely change the game so I wonder if other weather conditions can be as detailed.

There's probably sandstorms in deserts.

There's probably sandstorms in deserts.

I know that but what do they do to gameplay? In the case of Rain, it prevents you changing time, affects climbing, affects weapon and armor usage, offers potential solutions to affecting certain materials, potentially affects your ability to shoot arrows (because of the wind) and especially fire arrows, prevents you from resting easily at campfires, prevents you from cooking, presents a unique strategy to combat, the elemental system potentially affects other factors and so on.

Hobbun

I just saw that Gamestop has the new Zelda: BotW Amiibo available for preorder. I just preordered Zelda and Link Archer.

How many amiibos, and which ones, are associated/used with BotW?

Edit: Ok, found there are actually quite a few on Nintendo's site. Looks like 8 different amiibos will be compatible. Any idea on what all (or any) of them will end up doing for you?

I know that but what do they do to gameplay? In the case of Rain, it prevents you changing time, affects climbing, affects weapon and armor usage, offers potential solutions to affecting certain materials, potentially affects your ability to shoot arrows (because of the wind) and especially fire arrows, prevents you from resting easily at campfires, prevents you from cooking, presents a unique strategy to combat, the elemental system potentially affects other factors and so on.

Oh shit, I didn't know they went that deep. How'd you find out about that?

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
How many amiibos, and which ones, are associated/used with BotW?

Like every Zelda related amiibo has functionality. I think they've detailed all the non BotW ones already. They give various chests with food, ammo, rupees, items and then Wolf Link is a companion.

Edit: Ok every amiibo really means 4, Toon Link(30th Anniversary), OoT Link, 8-Bit Link and WW Zelda. As well as Wolf Link.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/12/2/13...nniversary-amiibo-breath-of-the-wild-function

Oh shit, I didn't know they went that deep. How'd you find out about that?

Some of that is me theorizing how the system works based on how other systems work (elemental system and the Chu Jelly description namely). But others like the campfire, camping and armors/ weapons are all explained by the developers.

Frankly, I think my favorite of the whole system is the chu jelly description because it'd be like Solving a small puzzle in and of itself. And I'd hope there's a lot more like that. I think the hold mechanic and even small item pick ups potentially not being just restricted to menus but actually having a mechanical interaction in the world is immensely exciting.

Hobbun

Like every Zelda related amiibo has functionality. I think they've detailed all the non BotW ones already. They give various chests with food, ammo, rupees, items and then Wolf Link is a companion.

Edit: Ok every amiibo really means 4, Toon Link(30th Anniversary), OoT Link, 8-Bit Link and WW Zelda. As well as Wolf Link.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/12/2/13...nniversary-amiibo-breath-of-the-wild-function

Ok, thank you.

Looks like there will be a total of 8 amiibos that will be compatible. Along with the four you mentioned, there is also Guardian, Link (Archer), Link (Rider) and Zelda: Wind Waker. The first three being released in March, Zelda should already be out.

https://www.nintendo.com/amiibo/games/detail/the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-wii-u

This page is for the Wii U, but I assume it will apply to the Switch, as well, as the Switch is also amiibo compatible.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Ok, thank you.

Looks like there will be a total of 8 amiibos that will be compatible. Along with the four you mentioned, there is also Guardian, Link (Archer), Link (Rider) and Zelda: Wind Waker. The first three being released in March, Zelda should already be out.

https://www.nintendo.com/amiibo/games/detail/the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-wii-u

This page is for the Wii U, but I assume it will apply to the Switch, as well, as the Switch is also amiibo compatible.

Judging by other games the SSB amiibo have functionality wit hI would be surprised they didn't also get some kind of functionality. I think they just announced the current 4 because they were newly releasing this past Dec for the 30th anniversary and they needed to let people know what good they would be before they went on sale. They probably just haven't updated the site with the Zelda and Bokoblin amiibos. They'll totally have functionality of some kind.

I'm sure I'm late on this, but Aonuma confirmed that Link is specifically called Link, so I don't think you can rename him. It was something I didn't know for sure but nice to hear.

This is gameplay for the final version of the game. Its the beginning
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzSr4Nmk_OM

Same version at the other Switch events. Hard to make out but the ver looked to still be Ver 12S that was used at the other events. Also the same so so lighting and missing object lighting we saw before. Really really hope that isn't actual final retail. Would hate to think they had to alter the lighting from what was shown at E3.

Judging by other games the SSB amiibo have functionality wit hI would be surprised they didn't also get some kind of functionality. I think they just announced the current 4 because they were newly releasing this past Dec for the 30th anniversary and they needed to let people know what good they would be before they went on sale. They probably just haven't updated the site with the Zelda and Bokoblin amiibos. They'll totally have functionality of some kind.

Same version at the other Switch events. Hard to make out but the ver looked to still be Ver 12S that was used at the other events. Also the same so so lighting and missing object lighting we saw before. Really really hope that isn't actual final retail. Would hate to think they had to alter the lighting from what was shown at E3.
In the video Aonuma stated it was the final version of the game.

It's not. That symbol has much greater meaning in Japan than a videogame reference.

It's sadly most definitely not an homage. Miyazaki has a massive distaste for video games despite Ghibli having a hand in the industry. He's extremely stubborn and close-minded. It's part of what makes his work unpretentious and original I suppose.

That said, Zelda is definitely taking inspiration from him. Curious what Miyazaki's reaction would be if he were to see the game.

Such bullshit, the Triforce symbol wasn't invented at all by Zelda and has deeper roots in
Japan history, in which Mononoke Hime is taken place.

Since I'm in a huge Zelda-hype mindset, it felt like an homage to me. I saw a "Triforce" and the narrative of Princess Mononoke feels so Zelda-like, I kind of jumped the gun lol!

Or the lighting really has been downgraded. Which would suck. I loved how it looked at E3.

Something I wondered. Maybe they brightened the interiors to make it easier to play in portable mode?

Or the lighting really has been downgraded. Which would suck. I loved how it looked at E3.

Something I wondered. Maybe they brightened the interiors to make it easier to play in portable mode?

I just watched that video - the lighting looked the same to me.

Can someone provide some comparison screens?

I hope there is functionality for Ganondorf amiibo.

Receive double damage like in Twilight Princess HD.

I don't think that'd really add much, enemies already do substantially higher damage than any Zelda game. I'd just change enemy aggression levels to be higher tbh and it'd be a way harder game.

Caelus

16178436_1288385867889207_7184030226101438260_o.jpg
"Many animals inhabit the lush forests of Hyrule, including these deer."
From the Facebook page.
Dat ass.

He just reconfirmed that you can go to the hyrule castle AND fight the boss there, not just go there and find a blocked door or anything like that as we discussed before.

I'm sure I'm late on this, but Aonuma confirmed that Link is specifically called Link, so I don't think you can rename him. It was something I didn't know for sure but nice to hear.

This is gameplay for the final version of the game. Its the beginning
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzSr4Nmk_OM

Cool video! You can see the UI in the title screen changing over time, which is nice.

He just reconfirmed that you can go to the hyrule castle AND fight the boss there, not just go there and find a blocked door or anything like that as we discussed before.

Yeah, I don't think he's lying about it.

Yeah this surprised me, I still think there will be some twist to that.

Nah this will be like Morrowind. You'll have to know exactly what materials to gather to make the right elixir to get off the plateau, then find whatever needed to get into the castle and finish the boss. I wouldn't be surprised to see multiple endings depending on how much of the main quest you do either.

Hobbun

I wouldn't be surprised to see multiple endings depending on how much of the main quest you do either.

If this is true, I hope it's not one of those situations where the faster you complete the game, the better the ending will be.

I like to take my time in games, especially in ones like this. Would hate that the only way to get the best ending is to finish the game in some challenging short amount of time.

Effect

I really wonder if potential DLC will be an option for this game. Additional shrines? New locations? New dungeons? Etc.

It's not like Nintendo is shy about DLC and some games like Fire Emblem and Mario Kart have had a lot. I'd actually be done for new Zelda content. Especially if it looks like it will be another several years before we get another one.

Edit: Final game footage.

So was it settled that the floor demo for the Switch at the recent events was the E3 Wii U demo just put on the Switch? Going by this new footage the weather icon, etc is all there from the start. It was said that the floor demo didn't have those icons right? Or is that incorrect?

I really wonder if potential DLC will be an option for this game. Additional shrines? New locations? New dungeons? Etc.

It's not like Nintendo is shy about DLC and some games like Fire Emblem and Mario Kart have had a lot. I'd actually be done for new Zelda content. Especially if it looks like it will be another several years before we get another one.

While people are saying that we should get a majora's mask type situation for the next game to come sooner. Maybe making a majora's mask type DLC would fullfil that, since expecatations for a larger game would be smaller

If this is true, I hope it's not one of those situations where the faster you complete the game, the better the ending will be.

I like to take my time in games, especially in ones like this. Would hate that the only way to get the best ending is to finish the game in some challenging short amount of time.

Typically it's the opposite. The more of the main quest you do, the better ending you get. So I wouldn't worry in this case.

Like, if you defeat Ganon but don't have the Master Sword, it might mean that he's only gone for a short time and not sealed away, but if you go through the main quest and restore the Master Sword, he is much deader/sealed away for good (obviously not for good, this is LoZ after all).

Smellycat

WOW

I didn't even notice the lighting differences. It is especially apparent in darker areas. Wii U lighting is significantly better. WTF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom