• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda is a good series. But I have some suggestions to make it even better.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Here's how this thread has gone:
I facepalmed while clicking it.
Then opened my fingers and peeked through to see if, for some incredible reason, i was wrong to pre-facepalm.
Noticed i wasn't.
Proceeded to headdesk.
But then the hit made me realize this is a troll thread.
So, well done.

Braag

• Whenever Zelda's not on screen, all the other characters should be asking, "Where's Zelda"?
  • Ganon(dorf?) has retired from evil. The main villain is now Ganon's teenage son, Eric.
  • As well as the standard horse, you now have access to a dolphin pal, called Dolpha. You can travel underwater with him, and shoot arrows at gerudo sharks. There's an emotional scene later on where you have to choose between Dolpha and your horse.

lol.gif

Loving these ideas

Troll? All bad ideas.

You need tutorials. Zelda is not "Metroidvanish." Link needs to not speak. People need to not have voice acting. Side quests are great. All other ideas are ridiculous.

It seems you simply don't appreciate what makes Zelda great and want to change it to make it like other games. That's not how you make something already great better.
Are you serious? It's clearly a joke. And that being said, voice acting would in no way ruin the series if Nintendo could do it right.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Mine:

- I agree with the "blowmymind" start of the game. Not as action as God of war 3 of course, but something like that. Launch me in the middle of the game. Than, later, after the first breath taking prologue, you can start suggesting me something about the game (if thre are new dynamics, otherwise, please sthop!)

- I agree with a big overworld divided into smaller dungeon. the SS overwolrd (the terrestrial one) conceived as a dungeon itself is very good

- Better distribution of storytelling cutscenes: no more 15 minutes of cut scenes every 6 hourse of game. I'm not asking for more cutscene, but for a better pace of narrative

- Go nuts with action Shriek section. We should be allowed to play as someone else too in Zelda, not only Link. And I think that having Link for the main exploration and puzzle segment, we could exploit Shriek for more action-oriented sections

KeRaSh

To be honest, I actually like the first suggestion. The way I pictured it in my mind:
You beat the first boss and finally find the exit of the dungeon and the camera zooms out. You then realize that you are stuck in the middle of a gigantic maze filled with other dungeons.
Not sure how that scenario could be explained, though.

• Every character has full voice acting. In the beginning Link does as well, voiced by Troy Baker, but his voice gets stolen by the villain and he spends the rest of the game communicating in a series of honks.

This, sir, offends me greatly as you are so very, very wrong.

The only voice fitting for the great hero-man Link is a deep silky baritone, preferably Keith David or James Earl Jones. Failing that, Christopher Walken is an acceptable substitute.

Link never loses his voice. He reverts to an even deeper baritone-level internal monologue in his brain that can still be heard by everyone.

Good day to you.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The first suggestion is not bad. Starting a game with a dungeon could really be beneficial for a series whose last few console entries have had a few pacing issues.

And no to Eric.

Rolf NB

Amazing. System seller potential restored.
  • As well as the standard horse, you now have access to a dolphin pal, called Dolpha. You can travel underwater with him, and shoot arrows at gerudo sharks. There's an emotional scene later on where you have to choose between Dolpha and your horse.
Uncensored?

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, even though this guy's clearly dicking around, I couldn't help it -- allow me to present the Official NeoGAF Drinking Game Rules for "The Next Zelda" Threads:

Take a drink when you read these terms:

--"open-world"
--"nonlinear"
--"play as Zelda"
--"hand-holding"
--"tutorials"
--"Fi"
--"mature"
--"Dark Souls"
--"fire Aonuma"
--"cell-shading"
--"Retro Studios"
--"voice acting"
--"Skyrim"
--"play as Sheik"
--"waggle"

Finish your drink when you read:

--"release it on PS4/Xbox One/a console that is not Wii U"
Clearly, everyone will die of alcohol poisoning.

Ferrio

Banned
They should take the majora's mask idea and expand on it. Instead of masks, you change outfits ala Garmit Grid from FFX-2. Should be a long cutscene for each transition too.

Lijik

I think you'll be shocked to find every one of those ideas were implemented in Skyward Sword. Like every single one. Its uncanny
Are you sure you havent played it or are you lying OP

I do like the first idea...is that the one serious one in order to get me to read the rest of the bullshit list, because the rest of those ideas sound pretty bad....

<edit>Nevermind, I misread the first idea</edit>

RMI

Banned
I can't take you seriously if you don't mention Dark Souls somewhere in there.

I opened this thread, hit CTRL-F, typed in Dark Souls, and was ASTOUNDED that it was not in the OP. Eagerly anticipating some fresh ideas that weren't just "make it more like Dark Souls", I scrolled up and was pretty disappointed to see that this is some kind of joke thread.

Oh well...

• The entire world is a gigantic outside dungeon consisting of smaller inside dungeons. All the towns have been destroyed. It's also Metroidvanish. How about that.

The surface in Skyward Sword is pretty much already like this, in a lot of ways.

zma1013

I just don't want to have to go through a 2 hour tutorial and 30 pages of text bubble spam when I start the next Zelda. Just get to it already holy f#$%.

I opened this thread, hit CTRL-F, typed in Dark Souls, and was ASTOUNDED that it was not in the OP. Eagerly anticipating some fresh ideas that weren't just "make it more like Dark Souls", I scrolled up and was pretty disappointed to see that this is some kind of joke thread.

Oh well...

Interestingly enough, while I tend to call bullshit just about whenever someone says, "-(blank game- would benefit from being more like Dark Souls!", I think LoZ just MIGHT benefit from it. Then again, I really don't most 3D LoZ games. Old-school 2D LoZ was my sweetness, ALttP and ALBTW being exceptional installments in the series. And quite frankly, I think Dark Souls feels more what one of those classic LoZ games would've been like in 3D. Especially the "to the point" adventure aspect where there's peril behind every corner, and lack of pointless characters with horrible looking designs(really, I could never get over the general look of the LoZ design style post OoT... urgh).

Troll? All bad ideas.

You need tutorials. Zelda is not "Metroidvanish." Link needs to not speak. People need to not have voice acting. Side quests are great. All other ideas are ridiculous.

It seems you simply don't appreciate what makes Zelda great and want to change it to make it like other games. That's not how you make something already great better.

Interesting first post. I might note agree with the OT's points(really, I don't), but do you feel this way just about the LoZ series or other series you "love"? Are you more open-minded about franchises you "don't care for" as much? I seriously wonder, because a lot of people here(as well as other game boards and forums) tend to teeter between going balls out innovation, unless it's something they love, then "Don't put your DAMNED hands on it/FUCK YOU!!". We are a really indecisive bunch. We say, "Hey, stop living in the past! Embrace change and a new perspective!", then say, "Nope! Give me that good old familiar feel where nothing's drastically different!". My theory is, we all don't want change, but it makes us sound more "open-minded" by saying we do(yet, we don't). Maybe Game Theory has a point.

I actually like the idea about starting the game in a dungeon. I think that would lend itself to a quicker, more streamlined tutorial, and would throw the player into the action right away.

Not so sure about the rest of those ideas though...

Om3ga

Level select and starting in a dungeon should happen even if these are jokes.

I'd prefer a dungeon tutorial instead of mundane tasks that you won't be doing in the game other than side quest for heart pieces.

Volotaire

Level select and starting in a dungeon should happen even if these are jokes.

I'd prefer a dungeon tutorial instead of mundane tasks that you won't be doing in the game other than side quest for heart pieces.

Strangely enough, there was level select available for Four Swords Adventures (GCN). The level structure lent itself well to playing a few levels with friends at a time.

Top Bottom