• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda New 3DS XL consoles canceled by Best Buy for those who ordered more than one

styl3s

Good. People who ordered more than one of these are scum.
Quite a few people ordered another for their kid or friend.

Not everyone is a scumbag but this is a easy fix for scalpers considering you can just make multiple best buy accounts and have it ship to your job, friends house, families house etc.

Derpyduck

Banned
So much for freedom.

im-sorry-i-thought-this-was-america-randy-marsh-south-park.jpeg

These things aren't exactly limited are they? Won't there be some available a few weeks after the initial rapture?

Yep, just like every other 3DS XL "limited" edition. You may have to pay a little bit of a premium on Amazon/Ebay to get it though.

Bleeether

e-bay scalpers are gonna be shitting bricks when they learn the thousands of dollars they made will have to be refunded. I only hope that the people who purchased these from e-bay scalpers will be able to get their money back because i'm sure some of the scalpers have blown their money already.

ash321

Quite a few people ordered another for their kid or friend.

Not everyone is a scumbag but this is a easy fix for scalpers considering you can just make multiple best buy accounts and have it ship to your job, friends house, families house etc.
Really ? they can log in/out and order fast enough again hundred of real people who waiting to buy the system ?
So much for freedom.

im-sorry-i-thought-this-was-america-randy-marsh-south-park.jpeg
Oh come on, really.
You really can't pleased people can you

This is pure shit. I ordered one for myself and one for my nephew and they canceled my order. Not fucking fair for those of us not looking to resell them as there were no limits.

Sucks but it's a necessary evil. But get your brother/sister to preorder one for their son when preorders go back up and then just give them the money for it.

people complaining about the cancelations, if you really need more than one, you can create a different account.

if it's for your friends/family, you would take the time to do so ;)

Why are orders being cancelled rather than brought down to a single unit?

1-per-customer policies are fine when specified beforehand but wtf @ this

Jobbs

Banned
they'll probably do all the cancellations pretty much at once, since everyone seems to have gotten them today -- if you need one of these, camping the online store in coming days might not be a terrible idea. They might throw up all the cancellatons at once.

Velcro Fly

i feel a tiny bit bad for the tiny tiny tiny minority of people who ordered more than one and it wasn't to resell on eBay

but really fuck all scalpers

I'd love to get my hands on one. What's the consensus on when the cancelled ones will become available? Tonight?

I'm not aware if this has happened in the past and if they typically list the items on the same day they cancel orders.

Vitacat

people complaining about the cancelations, if you really need more than one, you can create a different account.

if it's for your friends/family, you would take the time to do so ;)

Maybe, maybe not. I suspect scalpers are actually more likely to make (or already have) multiple accounts with all the big retailers precisely to purchase as many copies of whatever item as they can.

So this might hurt some scalpers, but not all.

Koppai

I do work at Best Buy anyways though. If we somehow get some in the store I could snag em for my friends again anyways. I'll just have to keep my eyes peeled on other websites too.

This should be standard practice with rare items like this.

I would actually go out of my way to shop at a store that I thought was actively trying to prevent scalpers from ruining it for the rest of us.

Good job.

Hope Best Buy Canada follows this.

Derpyduck

Banned
Maybe, maybe not. I suspect scalpers are actually more likely to make (or already have) multiple accounts with all the big retailers precisely to purchase as many copies of whatever item as they can.

So this might hurt some scalpers, but not all.

Exactly. This won't hurt scalpers. It's only going to hurt people who legitimately bought more than one for themselves/family.

ash321

Now if only they cancel the majora's mask limited edition .........

Pretty please ?

^ and how many people like that ?
Because i got nearly 400 people on ebay pre- sell the system right now.

DSN2K

its shame in a way because there will no doubt be a few people who genuinely required two.(perhaps for 2 kids or their partners etc...)

old saying of "this is why we cant have nice things" comes to mind.

Jobbs

Banned
my two preorders were as two separate orders. They cancelled one, now I'm sorta nervous they'll cancel the other for some reason. I'm getting paranoid.

Converse

Banned
I am sorry to hear about your situation, OP, but I do think this policy is for the best. Between amiibo, the GameCube adapter and various limited-run products, I'm growing real tired of the close relationship scalpers are developing with Nintendo.

Or course, it really should be Ninty that's doing something about this, but if they won't, then good on Best Buy.

Vitacat

its shame in a way because there will no doubt be a few people who genuinely required two.(perhaps for 2 kids or their partners etc...)

old saying of "this is why we cant have nice things" comes to mind.

Agreed. I can only have split feelings about this policy, since my wife and I both play 3DS games. Does she not have a right to own a system or game of her own? Do I not have a right to order things to give to her?

I understand why BB is doing this. But a lot of innocent people will be hurt as well. Perhaps more so than the scalpers, who probably have multiple accounts already and know all sorts of ways to work the systems.

So just to be sure, we're talking about the console bundle and not the LE game bundle right?

EDIT: and when will best buy have some up for preorder? Is there an official source that this is actually happening?

Jobbs

Banned
Agreed. I can only have split feelings about this policy, since my wife and I both play 3DS games. Does she not have a right to own a system or game of her own? Do I not have a right to order things to give to her?

I understand why BB is doing this. But a lot of innocent people will be hurt as well. Perhaps more so than the scalpers, who probably have multiple accounts already and know all sorts of ways to work the systems.

I am wondering if the cancellations aren't a result of them not being able to meet stock rather than being a matter of policy. which is why I'm now, as I said before, paranoid about my remaining order.

Grok4Spock

I do work at Best Buy anyways though. If we somehow get some in the store I could snag em for my friends again anyways. I'll just have to keep my eyes peeled on other websites too.
Just as bad if not worse than scalpers are scumbag employees who hoard stuff for themselves and their friends so when legitimate customers come to purchase whatever it is, they are magically out of stock...

I can understand ordering an extra unit for a family member, but friends? They can preorder their own system.

Yeah I was thinking, that's a pretty expensive gift to give to three different friends. It's your money though...(I wish I had friends that gave me presents like that or presents at all >_>)

I hope scalpers stay mad.

Oxn

Are you like buying friendship or something? Why are you soo worried about them?

Now that your additional orders are cancelled, if they do put it up again why are you going out of your way to get one for them? The convenience factor of getting it for them is not there anymore, like when your were ordering yours.

Went to the local Media Markt to check out the new Amiibo wave released today. Clerk tells me that some guy bought every single one (four of each) this morning. Yeah, kind of feeling the need for anti-scalping measures right now.

Are you like buying friendship or something? Why are you soo worried about them?

Now that your additional orders are cancelled, if they do put it up again why are you going out of your way to get one for them? The convenience factor of getting it for them is not there anymore, like when your were ordering yours.

I'm wondering that myself. Also, why couldn't his friends just order themselves in the first place

Why would Best Buy care where the money is coming from? Like they are doing this "for the gamers." Please. My bet is they took too many preorders.

EDIT: Also, if so many people want something, fucking make more of them.

VariantX

If this is truly in response to scalping, then why didn't they already have a "1 per customer" policy for limited edition products? Seems like its a no-brainer to do things like this in advance.

Koppai

I don't like this practice much, but I see where you're coming from I guess
Not while I'm working ofcourse. But I highly doubt we will get them in the stores if it as limited as they say. The last Zelda bundle I found sitting on shelves a while after launch but everything from the Smash bundle, amiibos, and even the Majoras Mask bundle have been extremely limited.

My friends were at school and work and I was online and I knew they wanted them anyway. Also, I do not get a discount on game systems anyways so you can put your foot in your mouth now.

Oxn

I'm wondering that myself. Also, why couldn't his friends just order themselves in the first place

When I read his post the image I get was like in those movies where people are only friends with him because he is able to get them a store discount or something.

Top Bottom