• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Time Dilemma (Zero Escape 3) review thread

Any idea on how much space this game will take on the Vita? VLR EU was around 1.3GB, and I have 4GB available on my memory card so I should have enough space, but I'm just making sure.

And come to think of it, have we had any news of 999 Vita beyond that vital tweet?

Kuma

Neo Member
Hi again. I didn't want to ask more questions but I have a new concern now: how the Steam edition will run on my computer or IF it can even run. At first I wasn't afraid despite my computer being over 5 years old--I mean, it can at run Overwatch perfectly at 60+ fps and Dark Souls 3 at around 25 frames. But, I checked Canirunit and apparently I need 14 more mbs of dedicated video ram to even REACH the minimum requirements of ZTD. Everything else (my i7, ATI 5770 graphics card, etc) checks out but I don't know. I'm wondering if the game will even run even with no anti-aliasing and a relatively low resolution (1400 x 900).

I'm not sure how many people have gotten an early Steam key yet, so I apologize if no one can answer me. I do have a friend with a gaming laptop so I might be able to borrow it...I just don't really want to unless it's 100% necessary.

Hi again. I didn't want to ask more questions but I have a new concern now: how the Steam edition will run on my computer or IF it can even run. At first I wasn't afraid despite my computer being over 5 years old--I mean, it can at run Overwatch perfectly at 60+ fps and Dark Souls 3 at around 25 frames. But, I checked Canirunit and apparently I need 14 more mbs of dedicated video ram to even REACH the minimum requirements of ZTD. Everything else (my i7, ATI 5770 graphics card, etc) checks out but I don't know. I'm wondering if the game will even run even with no anti-aliasing and a relatively low resolution (1400 x 900).

I'm not sure how many people have gotten an early Steam key yet, so I apologize if no one can answer me. I do know someone with a gaming laptop so I probably need to beg them so I can borrow it.
If you can run Overwatch and Dark Souls 3 I am literally positive you can run this game.

Kuma

Neo Member
If you can run Overwatch and Dark Souls 3 I am literally positive you can run this game.

Thanks. Yeah, I guess my concerns were pretty silly. I was just confused by the whole not hitting minimum requirements thing (gonna go check the website again and see if my computer can, uh, "Run" those two games). Some games are just incredibly poorly optimized, even ports like ZTD that don't even have the graphics to justify it.

I wonder if the game's requirements are overestimated or something. I look forward to hearing what Steam players have to say about the game's performance, especially on higher settings.

Edit: What the heck, I just came back from checking whether or not Overwatch and Dark Souls 3 can run on my computer and apparently I don't even hit the minimum requirements for either. Really? High settings in Overwatch and 60 FPS?
Guess that system really is just subjective over objective. My fears have been quelled.

UberTag

Zero Escape Vol 3: Zero Time Dilemma | OT | Play 999 and VLR first
That's the perfect OT title.

We also need to have a spoiler thread go up simultaneously. Heck, given the number of people playing the game and sharing spoilers in this thread already, one could legitimately make the argument that it's needed before the OT goes live.

takoyaki

Zero Escape Vol 3: Zero Time Dilemma | OT | Can I skip the first two games? Nein Nein Nein

I'm so sorry

don't be sorry, that's perfect :)

also agree that a Spoiler Thread really is needed when the OT goes up tomorrow. Maybe someone who's already played the game can volunteer?

Sheiter

Zero Escape Vol 3: Zero Time Dilemma | OT | Can I skip the first two games? Nein Nein Nein

I'm so sorry

Just need to chime in to say this is a perfect OT title for this game. Now I'm abandoning this thread for fear of accidentally revealing some of the spoilers being posted.

Just a question before amazon starts shipping them since people in here already have the game: How many escape rooms are there? I usually use gamefaqs to lookup a table of content in games since I always like to know how much longer I have, but obviously since this is a new game there won't be an easy answer. So I'd figured I'd ask here.

Edit: And yes put the "Play 999 & VLR first" in the thread OT!

Phamit

I would rather convince people to play this one, because it is quiet different to the previous ones.

And there are probably people who can handle to not understand everything and may get interested in playing the previous ones. I know I can unerstand stuff even I don't started at beginning, some people can understand that characters have a history and

Well haven't played the game yet, but it's probably better to encourage people to try it than to scare them away by telling them that there is no way to enjoy the series if you don't start from the beginning-

I would rather convince people to play this one, because it is quiet different to the previous ones.

And there are probably people who can handle to not understand everything and may get interested in playing the previous ones. I know I can unerstand stuff even I don't started at beginning, some people can understand that characters have a history and

Well haven't played the game yet, but it's probably better to encourage people to try it than to scare them away by telling them that there is no way to enjoy the series if you don't start from the beginning-
I wholly disagree. There are all kinds of games where it's perfectly sensible to jump into a later installment. There are some where it's less easy, but still doable.

This is not a series where it makes any sense to start here. The stories in these games are so meaty, so convoluted and so interconnected, that it's honestly stupid to encourage anyone to start here. Would you suggest someone pick up the third book of a trilogy? No. That'd be ridiculous. They'd be confused and out of their depth.

Gvitor

Just a question before amazon starts shipping them since people in here already have the game: How many escape rooms are there? I usually use gamefaqs to lookup a table of content in games since I always like to know how much longer I have, but obviously since this is a new game there won't be an easy answer. So I'd figured I'd ask here.

Edit: And yes put the "Play 999 & VLR first" in the thread OT!

Hikami

Accidentally clicked a spoiler in this thread.. welp. Time to stop clicking on ZTD threads til I've actually played it.

Phamit

I wholly disagree. There are all kinds of games where it's perfectly sensible to jump into a later installment. There are some where it's less easy, but still doable.

This is not a series where it makes any sense to start here. The stories in these games are so meaty, so convoluted and so interconnected, that it's honestly stupid to encourage anyone to start here. Would you suggest someone pick up the third book of a trilogy? No. That'd be ridiculous. They'd be confused and out of their depth.

Sometimes, if you tell people to keep in mind there are previous Books. Well encourage is a bit to much, but every Game Book, Movie should be strong enough to stand on it's own and the first two were strong enough and I believe the third will be too.

it's depends on how you enjoy consum media, but in my opionion saying there is no way to enjoy this game without playing the previous two is exaggerated.

DNAbro

Thread is minefield and the game isn't even out yet.

Also Amazon still hasn't updated my order. Not sure to blame Aksys or Amazon for this one. :^)

4Tran

Sometimes, if you tell people to keep in mind there are previous Books. Well encourage is a bit to much, but every Game Book, Movie should be strong enough to stand on it's own and the first two were strong enough and I believe the third will be too.

it's depends on how you enjoy consum media, but in my opionion saying there is no way to enjoy this game without playing the previous two is exaggerated.
That's true of some games, but VLR wasn't self-contained to begin with (mostly by being too open-ended), and Zero Time Dilemma is going to expect players to be aware of a lot of plot elements. The fact that the creators felt the need to include a plot summary at the very start of the game is a sign of how important they felt it was to playing this game.

Sheiter

Knowing nothing about the plot of ZE3, I assume it functions in the same way that VLR did to 999: You can play and enjoy it fine without previous knowledge but it will definitely impact your enjoyment of playing the previous games if you want to go back to them after. Anyone who played VLR before 999 certainly had the impact of several moments lessened due to their knowledge from playing VLR and with so much of the cast of the previous games seemingly playing a part in ZE3 I can't help but worry playing this first would make going back to 999 & VLR even harder.

Astral

Does anyone know how large the game file is? I was stupid and didn't pre-order sooner so I either delete a bunch of games from my tiny vita memory stick and buy it digitally, or search the ends of the earth for this game.

I don't think that's really a sensible way of looking at this.

An individual, self-contained story should be able to stand on its own, sure. But most "series" are functionally one long story told in multiple installments. Sure, each installment needs to be well-written on its own, but they make the most sense in the context of their series.

An example that comes to mind is Lord of the Rings. Technically, most people know them as three books, even though they're really one book/story. Could you read The Return of the King and get enjoyment out of it? Sure, I guess so. Would you get any depth or nuance of the story and characters by doing that? No. And anyone who told you "Oh yeah, go ahead and read the third book to 'get into the series'." would be doing you a disservice.

On top of that, if anything, ZE is a more convoluted piece of fiction than most. People diving into ZTD without playing 999 or VLR are going to be wildly confused by what's going on. Hell, I've played them and I still get confused. I don't think we're doing people any favors encouraging people to jump in at the end.

takoyaki

Does anyone know how large the game file is? I was stupid and didn't pre-order sooner so I either delete a bunch of games from my tiny vita memory stick and buy it digitally, or search the ends of the earth for this game.

Vita: 988 MB (download file)

3DS: 9,558 blocks, 1194.75MB

Wiggy

can anyone who has played the game on Vita let me know if it requires use of the right analogue stick at all? my vita's right stick is broke :(

Taruranto

There are enough videogames out of here that people can avoid starting a series from the third chapter of a trilogy.

Where's the rush? No one is going to destroy all the copies of ZTD in a month.

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
can anyone who has played the game on Vita let me know if it requires use of the right analogue stick at all? my vita's right stick is broke :(

Looking at the controls, the right stick is only for the camera, and you can just use the left/right triggers instead like VLR for that. It seems looking up and down can also just be down by moving the cursor with the left stick to the top and bottom of the screen. And of course if all else fails you can just use the touchscreen.
You should be fine.

Meia

There have been some updates from Aksys on twitter about the Amazon situation, according to them Tuesday is still the delivery date and people will get status updates from Amazon tomorrow

more info in this thread

I don't know how tuesday can be the delivery date if they haven't even shipped yet. I also don't have any option for release date delivery in the first place, so...

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Damn this game is going to be hard to find on Tuesday.

Best Buy here in Austin is not getting any copies, and I just called GameStop and they're getting one. If I can't get one, screw it - I'm going digital on Tuesday.

edit: LOL preorder from Target.com and get it shipped by 12/31!!!

takoyaki

What's with the 20% discrepancy? Compression?

I'm not sure, aren't Vita download files ZIP files and the game install itself will take up a bit more space? Could explain the difference.

I don't know how tuesday can be the delivery date if they haven't even shipped yet. I also don't have any option for release date delivery in the first place, so...

Just passing on what Aksys is saying on Twitter, I’m skeptical as well but at least that’s what they are aiming for right now.

ung6Tj5.png

What are you trying to pull here, Amazon?

All these positive impressions and I've gotta wait two weeks? Paaainful.

Top Bottom