• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zombieland Discussion Thread (Dir. Fleischer; Harrelson, Eisenberg)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Directed by: Ruben Fleischer
Writer: Rhett Reese, Paul Wernick
Starring: Woody Harrelson, Jesse Eisenberg, Emma Stone, Abigail Breslin, Amber Heard
Runtime: 81 Minutes

IMDB - RottenTomatoes (Certified Fresh) - Metacritic - Box Office Mojo - Wiki - Fandango - Twitter

Red Band Trailer

HOLY SHIT, I saw an early screening of this tonight and it is FUCKING AMAZING. Better than Shaun of the Dead. So much fun, action, gore, scares, emotion. Some of the side characters are a bit weak, but other than that it delivers on every single level.

DevelopmentArrested said:
kind of a weird question DP but how violent is it? (gorey, etc)

Extremely. It's a ridiculous amount of fun. I was laughing the whole time. My girlfriend on the other hand, who gets scared easily, was jumping a lot and covering her eyes. So those are the two ends of the spectrum.

Also, there are some HUGE surprises in the film (namely one) so try not to read that much about it before hand.

BobTheFork said:
I'm getting a 404 on the link. I wanted to see this, put the trailer isn't doing it for me.

Fixed. I thought the trailer was great, especially the redband (added to OP). What don't you like about it?

BobTheFork said:
Aw, damnit! The screening was in Denver TONIGHT! I'm bad at this.

They will have more. They are having FOUR separate screenings in Buffalo alone. Never heard of that before, except for Fox Searchlight films.

Seriously, more will be added. My publicist just sent me an email with 3 additional screenings for my city. I wouldn't worry, just check back on filmmetro. They are all next week and the following.

DanielPlainview said:
Fixed. I thought the trailer was great, especially the redband (added to OP). What don't you like about it?
It made it look too campy. The cut away to the old lady and the piano with the voice over, and too many Woody one liners. I know there's more story in there but it didn't show in the trailer IMO.

Acid08

Banned
Stackboy said:
Better than Shaun of the Dead? I don't trust you.
Yeah this seems like some hyperbole.

I'm still really excited to see this though. On that site though it says the only California screening is in National City which is fucking weird.

KillerAJD

The trailer that played before District 9 made it look ridiculously awesome. Both my brother and I turned and grinned at each other when the trailer finished.

Jal

What's the zombie game on the 360 called again, my minds gone blank. Anyway this is totally influenced by that. Dead Rising?

Sean

Banned
I doubt this movie will be better than Shaun of the Dead, but if it even comes close it'll be pretty fucking awesome.

Can't wait to see it.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Acid08 said:
Yeah this seems like some hyperbole.

I'm still really excited to see this though. On that site though it says the only California screening is in National City which is fucking weird.

ive lived in this state my entire life and I've never heard of this city...sounds made up...what the fuck.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
BobTheFork said:
It made it look too campy. The cut away to the old lady and the piano with the voice over, and too many Woody one liners. I know there's more story in there but it didn't show in the trailer IMO.
You say that as if camp in a zombie/horror flick is a BAD thing.

Penguin

SnakeXs said:
None in New York/NYC?

WTF IS THIS SHIT

There was a screening in NYC about a week ago, the movie is really fun.

Not exactly what I expected, but really awesome.
Loved the visuals on the rules.

Red Scarlet

I love zombies, so am looking forward to this movie.

Just saw a preview that had that Michael Cera guy is in it? Oh well, Woody is cool.
Oh, it's some guy that looks like him.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
gaaaaah so hyped for this and daybreakers

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Red Scarlet said:
I love zombies, so am looking forward to this movie.

Just saw a preview that had that Michael Cera guy is in it? Oh well, Woody is cool.
Oh, it's some guy that looks like him.
Yeah it's Jesse Eisenberg. He was in Adventureland.

FoneBone said:
Um, it got moved up to October 2nd almost a month ago, after Shutter Island got moved.

That's odd, the posters in the theater say October 9th still. That's awesome, only 2 weeks til everyone can see it!

catfish said:
gaaaaah so hyped for this and daybreakers

Daybreakers is awesome. I saw the world premiere at Toronto Film Fest last weekend. Check out my review: http://thefilmstage.com/2009/09/13/tiff-perriers-bounty-daybreakers-trash-humpers/

Zombieland is better though.

Also, first official review is up from Dread Central: http://www.dreadcentral.com/reviews/zombieland-2009

They gave it a 5 out of 5

Some films would be content to strike the perfect mix of comedy and above average zombie effects, but Zombieland adds another dimension with just the right amount of back story for each character. These scenes remind us of the tragedy of their situation, eliciting everything from a chuckle to an awww to a downright yank on your heart strings. The dramatic elements are never overly milked and strike just the right chords, complementing the scenes they piggyback like a snug-fitting puzzle piece.

It’s a joy to watch a film that seems to get everything right, has an audience howling with laughter to the point where you have to struggle to hear the lines that follow a gag, and STILL provides some extra gory eye candy for the horror fan who said, “You had me at Zombie.” The running undead look fantastic and are dispatched in a never-ending, ever-evolving innovative shopping list of carnage. You’ll applaud every crunch. Zombieland is a killer comedy with a vicious sense of humor. It’s the kind of movie where, halfway through, you’ll wish you already owned the DVD. Grab six horror-starved friends and meet me at the movies for opening night. It’s time we made a deserving film #1!

I can't wait to see this again, :lol

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
chud's review will make you want to see this movie

If you were to take Zombieland at name value - ie as a zombie movie - it's one of the weirdest I've ever seen. For one thing, it's completely hopeful. Zombie films are, by their nature, almost always bleak. There may be a glimmer of hope at the end, but usually it feels like a band-aid on a gaping chest wound. Every good zombie movie has a sociopolitical layer, and Zombieland is no different, but this sociopolitical layer is about Obama, and about the end of the recession. This is a movie about making it through the bad times and seeing the other side. That's kind of cool, but I have to admit that it left me a touch disoriented at the finale, because I'm just not used to walking out of zombie films feeling... good.

The chemistry between Eisenberg and Harrelson is so good it's almost obscene. This is a tough relationship to pull off - Tallahassee immediately senses that Columbus is a bitch - but they navigate the waters well, without ever becoming too touchy feelie or even chummy. It's a real relationship that maybe wouldn't happen in the normal world, but in the chaos of Zombieland these two opposites together make perfect sense. Breslin and Stone are good, and Stone particularly has a great sort-of bad girl thing down, but they don't come close to matching the wattage of their male co-stars.

and more at the link.

I can't wait to see this movie. I don't watch movies in theatres all that ofter, either.

*scrounges for the $9 for the movie*

Besides from some awesome Zombiedoom, at least Harrelson's kinda hot. *shrug*

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
5 reviews 5 fresh, 8/10 average. So far rave reviews. I've been hyped for this movie since the first trailer, hopefully it can live up to that. Can't wait to check it out!:D

Jonm1010

Banned
Looks awesome, cant wait. Plus I cant help but get the feeling from the trailer (hedge clippers, supermarket scene , dual-wielding chainsaws and hitting golf balls at the zombies) that the creators of this film played a lot of Dead Rising. Maybe its a coincidence but nevertheless i expect some pretty creative, badass zombie slayings.

Jonm1010 said:
Looks awesome, cant wait. Plus I cant help but get the feeling from the trailer (hedge clippers, supermarket scene , dual-wielding chainsaws and hitting golf balls at the zombies) that the creators of this film played a lot of Dead Rising. Maybe its a coincidence but nevertheless i expect some pretty creative, badass zombie slayings.

You will be satisfied :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom