• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zombieland Discussion Thread (Dir. Fleischer; Harrelson, Eisenberg)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hachimaki

Man after reading everyone's impressions I really want to see this.

Oh and aww awww.... I just read that
Murray is in it? Damn well that surprise cameo was ruined.
Oh well I'll live.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Hachimaki said:
Man after reading everyone's impressions I really want to see this.

Oh and aww awww.... I just read that
Murray is in it? Damn well that surprise cameo was ruined.
Oh well I'll live.

Yeah same here :(. One of my favorite actors... I would've been blown away at that part. Hey at least I still don't know when it's coming.

Baker

Banned
DanielPlainview said:
Adventureland was one of the best films of the year, but other then Eisnberg and a theme park, no.
I'm socially awkward but I looooove you!!! I'm socially awkward so I can't looooove you!!!

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big nerd too, but I absolutely despised that movie.

Costanza

Banned
I've seen a bunch of zombie films but I'm pretty sure this is my favorite. It's probably the cameo that completely pushed it over the edge. Holy shit that was brilliant. :lol :lol :lol

Sure, there were loads of awesome zombie kills and gore and I expect most people will really like it based on that alone. Plus it was absolutely fucking hilarious.

BUT more importantly (to me at least), in between all the goreomedy, it felt very genuine and I totally cared about and connected with the characters (something I can't strongly say about any other zombie movie).

Definitely in my top 5 of the year, probably first. Need to see it again!

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I didn't know he was in the movie. My interest has risen the past week and I have never one heard him mentioned. Most movies I want to see I look at imdb. The website has his name high in the list.

But... for this particular movie... I had no desire to look on imdb. It would have been awesome to randomly see him unexpectedly because he's one of my favorite actors.

FUCK

Spoiler tag all cameo's int the future.... I didn't know Tom Cruise was going to be in Tropic Thunder... and I enjoyed his character a lot.

Costanza said:
I've seen a bunch of zombie films but I'm pretty sure this is my favorite. It's probably the cameo that completely pushed it over the edge. Holy shit that was brilliant. :lol :lol :lol

Sure, there were loads of awesome zombie kills and gore and I expect most people will really like it based on that alone. Plus it was absolutely fucking hilarious.

BUT more importantly (to me at least), in between all the goreomedy, it felt very genuine and I totally cared about and connected with the characters (something I can't strongly say about any other zombie movie).

Definitely in my top 5 of the year, probably first. Need to see it again!

Glad you loved it. Don't you agree it was better than Shaun of the Dead?

Costanza said:
not even a contest.

:D That's what every single one of my friends thought (7 or 8) that went to the screening a couple weeks ago. It just beats Shaun of the Dead in every aspect and infinitely more rewatchable.

Sean

Banned
Going to see it in 15 mins. Doubt I'll like it better than Shaun of the Dead but I hope you guys are right.

Raxus

Shaun is much more quotable but this movie was a hell of alot more fun.

Makes me crave L4D and dead rising theme park edition.

Yes the cameo spoiler, even knowing a little about it, lessens the blow of the joke more and more if you know even tiny little details about it.

Just go see the movie.

Bit-Bit

Just got back from it. It was freakin hilarious. Very good zombie film.

I like it about as much as Shaun of the Dead.

I'm glad I had no idea about
Bill Murray
. That entire part made the movie for me.

Amazing movie, wife loved it too. I wouldn't say its better than Shaun of the Dead, the two are very different styles of movie really, but all around great flick.

Assuming we will see an extended cut on dvd/br release as a few scenes seem to be cut short.

I've found that women actually love the film as well. When I was getting out of my Whip It screening last night 3 old women (60+ yr olds) were talking about how they went to all 3 of the Zombieland screenings here in my town and they all loved it each time and couldn't wait to get it on DVD. :lol

Ceres

Banned
DanielPlainview said:
I've found that women actually love the film as well. When I was getting out of my Whip It screening last night 3 old women (60+ yr olds) were talking about how they went to all 3 of the Zombieland screenings here in my town and they all loved it each time and couldn't wait to get it on DVD. :lol

No one ever remembers but I am a girl :p

And I sat next to a woman who had to be in her 40s who also seemed to really enjoy it.
I've noticed a lot of older people at the free screenings. Though a bunch of them walked out of District 9. :lol

Sean

Banned
Movie was great. Better than Shaun of the Dead imo and I freaking loved that movie.

The cameo took me completely off guard, I had known nothing about that and it was just fucking amazing. Best part of the movie for sure.

Cheebs

It was a lot of fun but it is no Shaun of the Dead. This movie was great yeah but you can't compare it to Edgar Wright directing abilities which are head and shoulders above this.

joeposh

Just found out that the director is my friend's brother! Kinda crazy... was planning on seeing it tomorrow night anyway, but that's a definite bonus. Glad to many people are enjoying it.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Unbelievable movie that surpassed my expectations. The movie is consistently fun and ridiculous, and it just flies by.
It also puts it into overdrive once they get to the theme park

Sean said:
Going to see it in 15 mins. Doubt I'll like it better than Shaun of the Dead but I hope you guys are right.

Sean said:
Movie was great. Better than Shaun of the Dead imo and I freaking loved that movie.

The cameo took me completely off guard, I had known nothing about that and it was just fucking amazing. Best part of the movie for sure.

:D

Belfast

Oh man, it was great. Definitely headed for cult, if not classic, status!

Its closest comparison really is Shaun of the Dead (or perhaps the Evil Dead series), but I have to admit, I liked Zombieland even more.

The theater was packed and the audience reaction was really crazy. Pretty much everybody seemed to love it. I really hope it does some big numbers, because the movie truly deserves it!

Bonus: During the New Moon trailer, a girl shouted out "VAMPIRES DO NOT SPARKLE" and everybody cheered.

Edit: Also, the cameo. YES!

Sean

Banned
DanielPlainview said:

I was afraid the kids would be annoying little brats or something and that the only thing I would like would be Woody Harrelson. But that wasn't the case at all, every character was pretty cool and all had their moments.

Hopefully the movie does really well. My theater was packed and everyone was really into it so I'm sure it'll have great word of mouth.

Raxus

BrandNew said:
:lol

Fucking awesome.
Similar thing here. Girls were shit talking the movie. Hint to Twilight creators. Never show your pussy monsters in a theater full of horror genre fans.

Edit: If Bella was ever in a true vampire, zombie, any, horror flick she would be victim number 1. Good looking enough to get things started but empty enough for the audience to not care 5 minutes later.

as someone who worked on the Ghostbusters game, I wanted to yell out fuck yeah when I saw the cameo and they were acting as the Ghostbusters. Gonna make sure all my coworkers watch it!
:lol

JavaMava

I had no idea about the cameo. It was awesome. I don't know if it's better than shaun of the dead. We'll have to wait for it to settle in a bit. Really amazing zombie flick though.

wow, best movie of the year so far.

i was loving the movie already before the
B.M.
cameo, and then that sent it into fucking outer space.

awesome movie from beginning to end. i like shaun of the dead, but this movie absolutely trumps it in almost every way.

go see this movie dudes

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Saw it yesterday, and it was fucking awesome. Maybe not movie of the year (good year, if you ask me), but quite possibly funnest movie of the year.

So many lols, Woody is awesome, the
rules gag
never got old, nor did the
Twinkie gag.
The
Murray
came out of left field, and was amazing.

Yeah, stupidly fun movie. Loved it through and through, but I knew I would since waaaay back when Woody defended himself against a cop by saying he was working on this movie and thought some guy he hit or something was actually a zombie. <3

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
soooooo fucking good.

and emma stone is sooooo fucking hot.

Might have liked it better than D9 and Basterds.

Still high from the thrill of it tho.

We'll see

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
This film is not better than Shaun of the Dead. It's fun for sure, but Shaun of the Dead is the smarter, more nuanced film.

NOW WHERE'S MY GOD DAMN TWINKIES

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Zombieland > Shaun of the Dead...at least when comparing initial viewings.

I'm sorry, but I was rolling in the theatre due to how over the top everything was. Great movie...just great.

Shaun perhaps will age better, but Zombieland had me laughing as hard as I can remember in a movie in a long ass time. Crowd was perfect as well, really boosted the atmosphere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom