• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zombies. Steam key kerfuffle; dev waffles on Steam keys for past purchasers, drama

hohoXD123

I got the following message on Twitter this morning. Keep in mind, I'm not even the dev; just someone who supports him.
hZAcEjs.jpg

Stay classy, Internet.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to him. Based on some of his other posts, he doesn't seem like a very pleasant individual at all.

When there's a big, flashy "Help vote this game on Steam Greenlight and get a Steam key once it's done" sign on the game description, I'd say Steam keys are a little more than promised. But yeah, these scumbags are really entitled to something they were promised at the moment of purchase.

Total assholes, wouldn't you agree?

Because at the end of the day they are still customers, and the one who broke a promise was the dev. They are only asking for what they were promised.

I don't really think some of the people he was apparently referring to were simply "asking", but yes his choice of words as well as the ease with which it can be taken out of context was stupid.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I wouldn't pay too much attention to him. Based on some of his other posts, he doesn't seem like a very pleasant individual at all.

The guy's twitter name is "No Jews". I don't think it requires a deep and thorough explanation to really assess whether the message should be paid attention to (whether it's sincere or trolling).

The guy literally said that if they bought it now then they would receive keys when it was greenlit on steam. The customers are far from being in the wrong here for expecting purchasing conditions to be met.
That may or may not be true (nothing in the OP suggest that's the case though), people still act like scumbags every time this happens, knowing nothing about the agreement details. Contradictory how people act like the customer is always right, but never expect the seller to be wrong.

When there's a big, flashy "Help vote this game on Steam Greenlight and get a Steam key once it's done" sign on the game description, I'd say Steam keys are a little more than promised. But yeah, these scumbags are really entitled to something they were promised at the moment of purchase.

Total assholes, wouldn't you agree?
Yeah. Unless there's more to go on than that greenlight banner on the groupees page, the complains are aimed at the wrong party. Groupees was selling it and they made the promise to their customers. What the dev promised Groupees is something between them.

I find it hard too believe that this guy had no idea that the sites were offering free steam keys if the game got greenlit. Talk about contracts seems like legalese to me.

SummitAve

Banned
Because at the end of the day they are still customers, and the one who broke a promise was the dev. They are only asking for what they were promised.

You're no longer a customer, fan, supporter in any way if your harassing or sending the dev death threats over something so inconsequential.

vazel

Banned
"The potential of lost sales isn’t worth getting death threats over."

That's amazing. The only reason he's giving out the keys is because of death threats. And he still considers all of us that previously bought Zombies to be potential lost sales.

Twitter promotes impulsive posting though.

That is pretty unfortunate for people who never learned good impulse control, then.

JP LeBreton shat on Ken Levine after the story about Irrational closure broke.

I have yet to see anything that suggests that was anything but richly deserved.

Why? Some of his customers definitely acted like scumbags.

So we can also have a conversation about how there's a giant mass of socially impaired, violently unstable, alienated white men who hang out on twitter and threaten people with murder, rape, death, and all manner of other terrible things. This is basically awful, all the people who do it are basically awful, it helps make the world a dramatically worse place. I'm on board with all of that.

I would propose that, a) if you work in a job where your personal interaction with customers is a big part of your ability to operate, you need to be able to separate the mass of anti-social, skin-wasting trolls from the customers who can communicate like adults, no matter how unreasonable it is for that to be necessary, and b) if you screw up and do something wrong, then get torrents of unearned hate for it, all that unearned hate is inappropriate and terrible but it doesn't actually make your initial choice right either.

I'm glad the guy's gonna make it right and that he took the steps of clarifying why he made a bad choice like he did.

Having only just read up on this latest "drama", it seems perfectly rational to give the guy a second chance. No point burning someone over something like this. Everyone makes mistakes and some people screw you intentionally, I'd like to think he did the former.

Shouldn't Corporate Lifestyle Simulator have to go through Greenlight on its own merits? Zombies was greenlit, CLS was not.

I know it sounds dumb, but there's plenty of devs with one game on Steam that still had to go through greenlight for their next game. Soldak's Drox Operative comes to mind.

hohoXD123

Shouldn't Corporate Lifestyle Simulator have to go through Greenlight on its own merits? Zombies was greenlit, CLS was not.

I know it sounds dumb, but there's plenty of devs with one game on Steam that still had to go through greenlight for their next game. Soldak's Drox Operative comes to mind.

Don't think CLS is a completely different game, just an expansion of Zombies, so not sure if it would need to go through Greenlight again.

Don't think CLS is a completely different game, just an expansion of Zombies, so not sure if it would need to go through Greenlight again.

Oh. I thought he was saying it was an entirely separate game (a stand alone expansion), which was the reason why he initially refused to give Steam keys to purchasers.

This whole kerfuffle is weird and confusing.

Top Bottom