• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 main characters run over 100K polys each

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Honestly... the weakest aspect of what they've shown so far is the writing and voice acting.

It's not bad (the small sample we've heard) but after spending the last couple days with another replay of TLoU and its DLC... it's not there yet.

Honestly... the weakest aspect of what they've shown so far is the writing and voice acting.

It's not bad (the small sample we've heard) but after spending the last couple days with another replay of TLoU and its DLC... it's not there yet.

Holding everything to the standard TLOU set is not a good idea. You'll just end up being disappointed 99% of the time.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Going to be lots of crow eating here come E3.

That's what I'm hoping for. They've talked a good talk, but so far they've only delivered on graphics (including atmosphere and whatnot). Character dialogue has potential too. I liked what little we saw of Galahad and Lafayette.

Cryengine/Ryse has a very specific eye shader to mimic parallax/eyedepth. It is multilayerd and requires more geometry than just a normal sphere. In the end, you get an eye that reflects with that permeable glass look which eyes really have.
Did not know that, thanks. Can't wait to see more of this game.

Are you informed enough to give us an idea what the acting is like in the game? Is it on a par with TLOU in terms of sincerity and characterisation? We've seen snippets but they're out of context so it's difficult to judge just yet.
Definitely, one of its strong points I feel.

MercuryLS

Banned
100k polys, and 1 linear corridor. Welcome to next gen, gentlemen.

i6k4pH95azAfO.gif

gameplay over graphics type of person here. i'm one of those people who probably is frowned upon because i thought 7th generation games looked real enough. hell, infamous second son looks good enough for me for the rest of the 8th generation lol. i really hope ready at dawn is concerned about making a game that is compelling from a gameplay perspective; and not just flexing its graphical muscle on ps4 hardware. the whole QTE section, dynamic or not is worrying me. QTE's are never as immersive as these developers think they are, so here's to hoping the shooting and cover system in this game is on point.

Tabular

Banned
You can have wider views without black bars. They really add nothing to the experience other than letting you see less vertically.

Uh. Not true. For example film has always gone for a narrower aspect ratio because it changes the frame significantly and is generally more pleasing to the eye. In games you also get the added bonus of greater iq.

TheJerit

Guerrilla Games and most recently Sucker Punch are in the same league as those aforementioned guys in terms of their grasp tech. Surprising though that Guerrilla has shown the least impressive game graphically thus far. But for their cause the game was a launch title so I'm expecting their next game to handedly beat out the titles released by the other guys.

It was the best looking launch title, I think they did OK......

rdrr gnr

I would say comparing the acting and characterization to the level seen in TLOU is something objective rather than subjective.
I'm not sure how you could claim that because everything depends on execution and not intent when it comes to quality writing. I would not conflate how a developer wishes their writing to be received from how it will actually be received. I'm sure it's what they are aspiring to (as any video game writer worth a damn should), but I don't think that has anything to do with it being true. The writing for both cinematic trailers has been a bit meh. Plenty of franchises have interesting lore and some are matched with atypical settings, but almost none have the quality acting and characterization of TLoU.

Violater

Yup.

Anyway, back to the game. Although the initial gameplay reveal didn't wow me, I'm still excited to see what RAD can pull off with the ps4. Having scenes like this recreated in The Order's graphics would be a visual banquet.

The-Order-2.jpg

Stop your nonsense its going to be all tight corridors.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I have only a very few sources, and they're incestuous with the sources that usually post on NeoGAF. If you know whose posts to read, you can learn a lot.

Yeah. Without going into specifics, sometimes if there are people that are championing a game that doesn't have much info out they may very well be doing it from a place of knowledge, not blind faith.

andycapps

Looks like Microsoft won't be able to say they have the best looking console game once this comes out
I assume you're referring to Ryse, which looks great. Killzone:Shadow Fall looks damn good as well. But yeah, either way, this looks like it'll take the next gen graphics crown for a while.

No one commented on my funny post! Is it because I used the word "privy" to British?

Also, on the image above you have a flag representing Yorkshire (Blue with a White Rose) and Orkney (Blue and Yellow cross with Red background). I think the game is going to be very British Imperialist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DCQC6g7E7I&feature=c4-overview&list=UUQXR8pItAoKDAJSbphFxbrg

Sorry if this has already been posted, but it is pretty good. Adam Sessler interviews the creative director Ru Weerasuriya.

The way they talk about it makes me think of Watchmen for some reason and I would really like a good Watchmen-esque game.
Good interview, comparing the visuals to an oil painting is pretty apt. The colours and darkness remind me of a Caravaggio painting

rdrr gnr

I assume you're referring to Ryse, which looks great. Killzone:Shadow Fall looks damn good as well. But yeah, either way, this looks like it'll take the next gen graphics crown for a while.
The succession of certain titles looking the "best" is going to be quite rapid for next year or two until visuals sorta plateau. The Order has a few things going for it (4x MSAA) so it may retain that position longer than normal in terms of IQ. But Uncharted and whatever SSM is working on is just around the corner.
All I know is that The Order is the first game that has visually made me think, "Wow, this is really a generational leap."
Never forget those diminishing returns posts: "Average people won't be able to tell the difference. No reason to upgrade."

AdanVC

Those are one of the most detailed gaming characters I've ever seen. Huge props to the Character Artists on this game. Dat facial hair.

andycapps

The succession of certain titles looking the "best" is going to be quite rapid for next year or two until visuals sorta plateau. The Order has a few things going for it (4x MSAA) so it may retain that position longer than normal in terms of IQ. But Uncharted and whatever SSM is working on is just around the corner.
True, it's really the first proper next gen game that was developed ground up for it. The next wave of games will look even better and typically the third wave of games blow peoples' minds.

I really hope this game has a robust sword fighting system. I know they have guns but come on, if we re playing as knights I want some legit fencing action with parries and counters. And being from God of War developers this should be right up their alley

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I really hope this game has a robust sword fighting system. I know they have guns but come on, if we re playing as knights I want some legit fencing action with parries and counters. And being from God of War developers this should be right up their alley
It looks like they have knives. Not expecting swords.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Character models are definitely the best I've seen in a game, but wait until you see the next Mass Effect.

Now there's a game with absolutely dreadful animation and hallway TPS cover mechanics/combat that no one will complain about, because you get to have awkward romances with blue people and pick options in a dialog tree that always end in the same place.

Maybe in this next gen Shep will be able to holster her weapon again.

vpance

Galahad Rising? Sounds good to me.

Also, a horse mounted sequence slaughtering a pack of hybrids. Gat damn

Top Bottom