• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Haze Demo is up on EU store !

Xater

AKS said:
I think half haven't left the starting point and are counting pixels and taking close-up screenshots of textures as "evidence" that this is a terrible game. :lol

The other half that liked it just played through the demo and discovered it's pretty fun to play, especially on hard difficulty with 4-player co-op. :D

I just played through it in a norma way and saw all that shit. I don't know how you can not.

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
I'm glad I'm hearing more comments on how clean this game looks on our hdtvs......

was starting to think some miraculous thing was going on.

the boxer part was pretty bad though lol... I didn't feel for him at all.

RoH said:
I only need to know two things and one of which I already know (can access invites in game, this again leads me to believe that in game XMB will note work the way the masses are expecting it to). If this game used R1 as primary fire or I can some how make it that way, this will be a day one sale :D Is R1 primary fire?

if you want it to be. i mean there is a way to remap the buttons as you like.

AKS

Xater said:
I just played through it in a norma way and saw all that shit. I don't know how you can not.

Yes, I've read your hating on this thread already. I have played just about all the top console FPS and own all the consoles and am still impressed with Haze. It's not AAA, but it's still a very solid game that should be a great deal of fun in either co-op or multiplayer modes. It's also a very nice addition to the PS3's library for those who do not have a 360 and thus don't have a lot of options for online co-op (until Resistance 2, of course). Army of Two was OK for co-op, but this is much more interesting and exciting.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
I think the difference between the people who think its generic or shitty and the people who like it is that people didn't go into the game with an open mind at all. People have been shouting generic and shit for so long.

The gunplay is fun. The sounds and animations feel powerful. Running up to people and smacking them a few feet back is satisfying. The Nectar sound effects are wonderful. It puts you into the feeling of being on a drug as much as just sound can really. When he took the dose during the dead pilot scene it had a subtle impact. Like someone injecting morphene to just get away from things (except I believe this time it was the Mantel AI doing it itself to make you care less about the dying pilot).

The dialogue is good and satirical. Its supposed to be humorous, but its also supposed to be unnerving at the same time. Its like Dr. Strangelove (not in quality though... at all).

I really like what they are doing and the story and dialogue appeals to me far more than something like Halo 3, which took itself too seriously for something so shallow at heart.

Kyoufu

This...is...horrible...

My guy wouldn't even get up a slightly steep hill, jesus christ I WANT TO STAB MYSELF!

And the dialogue....omg I JUST STABBED MYSELF!!!!!!!!

quicksilv

"Connection to Demonware failed. Please try again later."

Wtf, first time in ages i go online on PSN and shit doesn't work. Didn't I just download this from PSN when i was online, signed and all that? Sony should start charging people for premium servers or something like that, i want xbl like service!

AKS

BobsRevenge said:
I think the difference between the people who think its generic or shitty and the people who like it is that people didn't go into the game with an open mind at all. People have been shouting generic and shit for so long.

The gunplay is fun. The sounds and animations feel powerful. Running up to people and smacking them a few feet back is satisfying. The Nectar sound effects are wonderful. It puts you into the feeling of being on a drug as much as just sound can really. When he took the dose during the dead pilot scene it had a subtle impact. Like someone injecting morphene to just get away from things (except I believe this time it was the Mantel AI doing it itself to make you care less about the dying pilot).

The dialogue is good and satirical. Its supposed to be humorous, but its also supposed to be unnerving at the same time. Its like Dr. Strangelove (not in quality though... at all).

I really like what they are doing and the story and dialogue appeals to me far more than something like Halo 3, which took itself too seriously for something so shallow at heart.

That's a pretty good summary of the situation. It's bizarre to me that the "generic" label continues to stick when 1.) this game is actually pretty fun to play and the use of Nectar is pretty important and well implemented and 2.) many of the features, such as asymmetrical play, aren't available to try yet. One level is hardly representative of everything in this game. What's there is pretty fun, and there is much more that is on the way. Oh, well, can't please everyone.

Jaeyden

Played for a few a minutes. Seems like it'll be a solid addition to the PS3 library.
Couldn't stop thinking about this though....

doc472a49b5d1dba076179599.jpg

Nectar!

It is rather horrid, the dialogue is awful especially for a game focusing on plot.

The weapons feel like bullet-hoses and enemies are very weak. There isn't one stand out element of the game, the gunplay is so-so, the graphics are mediocre at best, the AI is turgid, the framerate is standard, the level is linear.

Nectar is really the biggest thing it has, and the grenade arc aside it's pretty much the mutant mode from Far Cry Instincts.

I hope Timesplitters 4 is better than this.

Barakov

Gold Member
quicksilv said:
Sony should start charging people for premium servers or something like that, i want xbl like service!

Everybody does.

Overall the demo was pretty good. I liked everything about it except the "HELLZ YEAH! WE'RE SHOOTING PEOPLE!!!" jock mentality of the guys you're fighting with. And WTF at my squadmates standing in the fire and not avoid it. :/

AKS said:
That's a pretty good summary of the situation. It's bizarre to me that the "generic" label continues to stick when 1.) this game is actually pretty fun to play and the use of Nectar is pretty important and well implemented and 2.) many of the features, such as asymmetrical play, aren't available to try yet. One level is hardly representative of everything in this game. What's there is pretty fun, and there is much more that is on the way. Oh, well, can't please everyone.

agreed

...the generic arguement is fucking tired....you want generic GAF...wait till this thursday to play the damn Bourne Conspiracy demo....or better yet, DL on LIVE right now

Cmagus

I really enjoyed the demo when this game was first announced I was excited and still am I'll definitly pick this up

h3ro

pswii60 said:
Graphics are very nice IMO.

I agree, I think the lighting used is really cool.

sajj316 said:
Are you playing over HDMI? Seems like the visuals are a mixed bad depending on the TV you have and maybe the time of video connection.

I'm connected via HDMI to a plasma. Looks OK IMO.

boco77

Banned
This game sucks. I played for 7 and a half minutes then switched it off in disbelief and confusion as to why it took so long to come out and this is the end result. It looks like a Wii game wtf at the shitty graphics? It plays pretty similar to timeshift minus the time powers! :lol

Its really bad man, what a generic looking game with very bog standard gameplay. The control and the speed of movement is the only decent thing that stood out. The nectar was pretty useless as it just made the screen look really trippy and messy giving you predator like vision when using it. Its horrible!

Look at the horrible n64 like ground textures below!

haze2.jpg

also the game looks like Far Cry on Wii

haze1.jpg

DeadGzuz

Banned
I played, but didn't finish the demo (damn wife!). I thought it has potential, it all depends on how the story and co-op plays out. It's like a more realistic Halo game. I like the Nectar effect. The graphics, while low res (578P Qauz said?), have good post-processing effects. The grenade blast look good as does the Nectar injection. The controls and combat feel good.

sajj316

AgentOtaku said:
agreed

...the generic arguement is fucking tired....you want generic GAF...wait till this thursday to play the damn Bourne Supremacy demo....or better yet, DL on LIVE right now

:lol :lol Bourne Supremacy, bring it baby! See this is the problem with demos. Its put out there for you to play before you pay ... the problem is that its only a demo of the real thing. One tends to make an overall game review based on a demo, which is a horrible way to rate a game.

sajj316 said:
:lol :lol Bourne Supremacy, bring it baby! See this is the problem with demos. Its put out there for you to play before you pay ... the problem is that its only a demo of the real thing. One tends to make an overall game review based on a demo, which is a horrible way to rate a game.

lol

sorry, meant The Bourne Conspiracy (^__^)

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
boco77 said:
This game sucks. I played for 7 and a half minutes then switched it off in disbelief and confusion as to why it took so long to come out and this is the end result. It looks like a Wii game wtf at the shitty graphics? It plays pretty similar to timeshift minus the time powers! :lol

Its really bad man, what a generic looking game with very bog standard gameplay. The control and the speed of movement is the only decent thing that stood out. The nectar was pretty useless as it just made the screen look really trippy and messy giving you predator like vision when using it. Its horrible!

[IM G]http://www.moiee.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/haze2.jpg[/IMG]

also the game looks like Far Cry on Wii

haze1.jpg[
I have read this and come to the conclusion that we aren't playing the same game or one of us is crazy.

pswii60

sajj316 said:
Are you playing over HDMI? Seems like the visuals are a mixed bad depending on the TV you have and maybe the time of video connection.
Yeah HDMI. Looks really nice, the jungle, the waterfalls etc. Very clean too. I have a shit load of complaints about the game, but none of them are graphics related.

what the hell happened to the graphics? they look awful.

the gunplay/handling doesn't feel right either. the only fun i had playing the demo was walking up behind my squadmates and smacking them in the back and loling as they flip the fuck out.

rabhw

swtg6e.jpg

vs.

10nb4nm.jpg

Wha happan?

It's like they had to cut their texture resolution budget by 400%

And yes, I realize the second screenshot is 576p upscaled to 720p, that doesn't QUITE close the astounding visual disparity between the shots... Aren't games supposed to start looking better as they mature?

boco77

Banned
rabhw said:
This game is pretty shitty. It's a visual mess, the environments are totally static, you can walk through objects that are meant to be solid. The only reason the nectar gimmick is useful is because the enemies are hard to see. There is nothing dynamic at all about the gameplay, it's super linear, and really enclosed.

The only two good things are the audio being in DTS, and the framerate being decent.

:(

I totally agree with your comments.

quicksilv

eh, i still can't connect online in this game. i can play F1 online, MGS online, PSN shop works. What the hell is this? possibly because they use demonware or is that standard playstation middleware?

anyway, like others already mentioned, this game doesn't feel all that special. its kinda like farcry meets army of two ? i'll give it another try when it hits 360, at least the aiming/controls should work better (for me).

so i used nectar and melee'd my team and someone said in a crying voice "get up you pussy" :lol

rabhw said:
Wha happan?

most of the resource and memory were used to make sure the HUD was looking good.

Y2Kev said:
I need some kind of "ready weapon" trigger....I'm so used to it in GTA, CoD, Gears, etc. that this just feels like I'm naked out there.

Why is it so blurry, too? Looks like N64 game edges. The forest tree tops are really blurry.

this is what i noticed. everything in front of you and on the ground (crates ect. not the ground textures. ugh.) looks decent, but once you look up, the trees and vines look like shit.

can anyone get a screen of the tree to the right of the downed plane in front of the smoke while your player is at a distance?

Defcon

Banned
rabhw said:
Wha happan?

And yes, I realize the second screenshot is 576p upscaled to 720p, that doesn't QUITE close the astounding visual disparity between the shots... Aren't games supposed to start looking better as they mature?

Damn I forgot how good it looked in those first screens released. Looks like absolute garbage in comparison.

Reallink

vs.

Wha happan?

Looks like a comparison between a PS3 version and PS2 version.

JudgeN

The real question is how old is this demo? For all we know it could a build for 8 months ago, because I remember reading about this level in the IGN/1UP/etc previews they did LONG time ago before this got delayed.

sruckus

Sony really needs to get some standard infrastructure for PSN working and up fast...matchmaking, stats, all the Live does because this is ridiculous that the devs have to do it and so we're getting crappy providers who's servers seem to go down half the time.

rabhw

DeadGzuz said:
The first was a total bullshot.

Apparently so, but it looks no better or worse than a ~2004 PC game, so it wasn't beyond the realm of reason to believe it was real.

DeadGzuz

Banned
boco77 said:

So MikeTheWarrior has a new account? Wow you sound exactly like him, same arguements too.

Deepblue

Banned
Xater said:
Yep.

The horible textures and the bad LOD don't help the graphics at all either. I can't belive no one else notices the LOD besides me...

Normally GAFers are so nitpicky.
This isn't exactly some huge exclusive ala Halo 3 that has fanboys from all sides foaming at the mouth.

rabhw said:
Apparently so, but it looks no better or worse than a ~2004 PC game, so it wasn't beyond the realm of reason to believe it was real.

Dude, those shots were WAY beyond wat was high-end in 2004 and a good part of "now gen" Crysis. 2004 was pixel shader 2.x and Half-Life 2 time, not something beyond that.
(with UE3 being in early development)

Also, when I see Timeshift being mentoined in relation to Haze, I can only guess that my gutfeeling was right since the first trailer. Still downloading the demo though.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Hyperbole much? Seriously, N64 textures were a whole different breed of bad. These look like something from an older PC game (like UT2004 or something).

Wha happan?
In all honesty, I think the game itself looks very close to those original shots.

Top Bottom