• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny to appear at Sony presser on Monday

Vyrance

I'm somewhat interested in Destiny, and knew it was a given to be at the conference. Guess it'll be taking up about 10 minutes this year like last.

images

So shocked...

I'm looking forward to this game (or rather the beta to see if I really like it) - and agree that it has gotten a lot of air-time, but perhaps this time they will showcase the game play in a better way? Nothing wrong with some new game play to help folks better decide on the title.

EDIT: But please keep it short & with hand training

Shredderi

No doubt it will sell like hot cakes when it releases. What I'm seeing here doesn't really seem like hate (gaf hates destiny lol etc.) because hate is such a strong emotion, and I think the problem is that many of us at Gaf (or at least me) are more apathetic rather than excited or even full-on hating towards Destiny. I don't hate Destiny at all but since I'm not really interested in it, it makes sense for me to want it take as little time as possible at E3 so that something that might interest me more could be shown more. This is all subjective of course and good for those that are jazzed to see more of this.

Bsigg12

Everyone is so cynical!

Destiny might not be the next step in human evolution but it looks like it could be fun. By the time it's released I expect the marketing to be so pervasive we adverts for it on the inside of our retinas.

Personally, I'd just like them to announce immediate beta access.

The beta doesn't start until July. They already announced that.

spekkeh

Banned
Tell this to the 50% PS4 Watch Dogs in UK.
I wouldn't be surprised if PS4 had that relative advantage over Xbone in the UK easily (say 2:1 PS4:xbone); I don't think we've heard Xbone numbers outside of the US for some time now. Probably for good reason.
So in that case the major thing would be that Watch Dogs sold better on the new consoles than the old ones, not necessarily that the marketing has given PS4 the advantage over Xbone.

Everyone is so cynical!

Destiny might not be the next step in human evolution but it looks like it could be fun. By the time it's released I expect the marketing to be so pervasive we adverts for it on the inside of our retinas.

Personally, I'd just like them to announce immediate beta access.

See, thats what i dont get lately. People aren´t excited about a game, they say "well it might be fun, but that doesn´t matter cause in the end the marketing campagne will make me want it even if its crap".

Just great.

Ahhh, now why see why you are firmly in the Destiny camp.

Because I've followed it closely for a year and it's my most anticipated title? Or some shit you pulled from your ass?

No doubt it will sell like hot cakes when it releases. What I'm seeing here doesn't really seem like hate (gaf hates destiny lol etc.) because hate is such a strong emotion, and I think the problem is that many of us at Gaf (or at least me) are more apathetic rather than excited or even full-on hating towards Destiny. I don't hate Destiny at all but since I'm not really interested in it, it makes sense for me to want it take as little time as possible at E3 so that something that might interest me more could be shown more. This is all subjective of course and good for those that are jazzed to see more of this.

If there was a brigade of people saying "stop showing this game" in every E3 post you'd have a point.

Duxxy3

My great concern with this game is that by melding single player, co-op, and multiplayer together that they have harmed all three experiences.

Portugeezer

"Hey guys, you know all that same shit we showed you earlier, that isn't all the game has though we've done a terrible job showing you that. (plays video showing other parts of the game)"

I guess, because some people remain unconvinced. But they show so much outside of E3, just seems like a waste of press conference time.

Make it short, we know and have seen the game, now all we need is the beta. The press conference needs fresh stuff, things to get us excited for next year while we try to forget Sony's huge error and miscalculation of not having a blockbuster title for fall 14.

Raven77

We've seen this game several times now and it was at last years E3 presser as well so I really, REALLY hope this is kept short. We want to see new stuff...

Kinyou

The witcher 3 is an exception to the rule because it's a huge game on PC.
Same thing with the Dark Souls series.
A simple comparison of the Dark Souls and Project Beast thread is enough to see that fanboys only care about exclusives.

I don't consider gaf a hivemind. I considers fanboys to be all the same.
Wouldn't you say that project beast is getting a whole lot of hype from being on next gen, and not just because it's exclusive? And games like GTA or mgs still seem to be getting a lot of love despite being multiplatform

sunofsam

Because I've followed it closely for a year and it's my most anticipated title? Or some shit you pulled from your ass?

If there was a brigade of people saying "stop showing this game" in every E3 post you'd have a point.

Sometimes you have to get off the Hype Train to see where the train is headed. Here is to hoping it is not utter disappointment for you.

One of the best Bungie reveals was the Reach gameplay demo in 2010. The beach invasion and then climbing into a spaceship to fight in space had me smiling ear to ear. As it turned out it was the highlight of the campaign but man it hyped up the game pretty good.

Here's hoping for some more of that Bungie magic to show us a great mission from start to finish in Destiny. Maybe then people will start to grasp what the game is all about.

Bsigg12

I guess, because some people remain unconvinced. But they show so much outside of E3, just seems like a waste of press conference time.

Sony is going to push this hard, so they need to make sure it's being shown in good light. It may be a multplatform release but you can count they'll champion it for the PS4 since this holiday season seems like it may be light on Sony exclusives. They paid for some Playstation exclusive content and co-marketing so it showing up again at their press conference really isn't that surprising.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
RE: "Does Sony have nothing else?"

Dudes, welcome to the New Normal. It's not Sony. It's everyone. It takes more people to make fewer games than ever. Publishers are more reliant on iterative sequels than ever. Risk-adversity to a major publisher means betting the whole bank on a megaton title you think can sell 10+ million and then betting the production budget over again in marketing. It means 800 pre-order SKUs, microtransactions, DLC and season passes, items, or whatever else they can do. It means games as a service. We've been saying this for years. The middle is gone. The licensed market is gone. Handheld support is an afterthought.

EA and Ubisoft are the largest third-party publishers in console gaming, and incidentally the only ones who still have E3 stage performances.

EA has cut their game count at least in half, probably more, over the last 5-6 years. You want to know what they're going to show? FIFA, Madden (incl/ NCAA Football), they'll skip NHL because it's niche, UFC, they might show NBA, they might show golf. That's sports. Now onto mainstream console games: Annualized Battlefield, annualized BioWare RPG (Mass Effect / Dragon Age; although don't be surprised if one of BioWare's side teams is working on some other IP, maybe something with Star Wars); speaking of, get ready for an annualized Star Wars game, starting with Battlefront; annualized Maxis/Redwood Shores Game (this year: The Sims 4); annualized racing game (whether or not it's called Need for Speed). I just spoiled EA's next five E3 conferences, sorry to drop the bomb here. They've basically sunsetted their external publishing efforts, but I guess Titanfall worked well enough that we'll have one of those, so expect DLC or a sequel announcement too.

Ubisoft is now up to pretty near a thousand people working on a flagship game. This year we'll get two Assassin's Creed games, Far Cry 4, Watch_Dogs' DLC, The Division, some other Tom Clancy nonsense, probably some other Splinter Cell game (although Blacklist tanked so maybe not), Just Dance until that gets nuked, Rocksteady until that gets nuked.

Why is Destiny being flogged everywhere? Because it's one of like 5 games Activision is putting out, so they all need to be billion dollar games. Call of Duty. Destiny. Skylanders. Annualized Transformers and Spider-Man. Blizzard's latest expansions or next game. That's the whole company now. They'll eventually revive Guitar Hero and maybe eventually Tony Hawk. Literally five games from the Activision side, all aiming for hundreds of millions or billions of dollars of revenue each. That's the New Normal. Destiny is a half-billion dollar minimum targeted game, and it's intended to be a multi-billion dollar franchise.

The same is true for all the first party publishers. More people making fewer games, experiments are kept small, full sized games need to be guaranteed smash successes. Games take at least two years to make now, so you basically have the option to announce one E3, demo a near-final next E3, release that fall (which you do if it's a once every two year franchise)... or do announce the same year you're releasing (which you do if you have two teams doing odd/even years of a franchise).

If this news is surprising or depressing, then the correct thing to do is to start paying less attention to video games, because then the annual sequels will at least surprise and impress you. If you check the news every day, you already know what most teams are doing (or if not, at least what stage in their game's development they're in), so you won't be blown away. You also don't need to watch E3 live. It's a lot easier to be happy when you catch a five minute recap the next morning with the highlights then when you get angry at Sony for wasting your time on Wonderbook because how dare they.

Sometimes you have to get off the Hype Train to see where the train is headed. Here is to hoping it is not utter disappointment for you.

It's not a hype train when you know far far more detail about the game then others. It's an informed opinion.

Bungie has done a horrid job of getting the whole game's contents and depth to those not following. That's their problem to solve, and you do this on the big stage like this.

JLeack

Banned
They need to describe this game concisely. Right now, I have no idea what this game is. Imagine the average consumer...

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
The beta doesn't start until July. They already announced that.

Ah well. At least it'll be something new to play then.

See, thats what i dont get lately. People aren´t excited about a game, they say "well it might be fun, but that doesn´t matter cause in the end the marketing campagne will make me want it even if its crap".

Just great.

I don't understand your point. I think it looks fun based on what I know about it. I'm not massively excited but I'm looking forward to it.

Maybe I didn't explain myself properly though - the point I was making was that any doubts about messaging or communicating to potential buyers will probably be drowned out in a wave of millions and millions of advertising dollars. It's not really a positive or a negative, just making an observation. Hope that clears things up.

Xater

Dudes, welcome to the New Normal. It's not Sony. It's everyone. It takes more people to make fewer games than ever. Publishers are more reliant on iterative sequels than ever. Risk-adversity to a major publisher means betting the whole bank on a megaton title you think can sell 10+ million and then betting the production budget over again in marketing. It means 800 pre-order SKUs, microtransactions, DLC and season passes, items, or whatever else they can do. It means games as a service. We've been saying this for years. The middle is gone. The licensed market is gone. Handheld support is an afterthought.

EA and Ubisoft are the largest third-party publishers in console gaming, and incidentally the only ones who still have E3 stage performances.

EA has cut their game count at least in half, probably more, over the last 5-6 years. You want to know what they're going to show? FIFA, Madden (incl/ NCAA Football), they'll skip NHL because it's niche, UFC, they might show NBA, they might show golf. That's sports. Now onto mainstream console games: Annualized Battlefield, annualized BioWare RPG (Mass Effect / Dragon Age; although don't be surprised if one of BioWare's side teams is working on some other IP, maybe something with Star Wars); speaking of, get ready for an annualized Star Wars game, starting with Battlefront; annualized Maxis/Redwood Shores Game (this year: The Sims 4); annualized racing game (whether or not it's called Need for Speed). I just spoiled EA's next five E3 conferences, sorry to drop the bomb here. They've basically sunsetted their external publishing efforts, but I guess Titanfall worked well enough that we'll have one of those, so expect DLC or a sequel announcement too.

Ubisoft is now up to pretty near a thousand people working on a flagship game. This year we'll get two Assassin's Creed games, Far Cry 4, Watch_Dogs' DLC, The Division, some other Tom Clancy nonsense, probably some other Splinter Cell game (although Blacklist tanked so maybe not), Just Dance until that gets nuked, Rocksteady until that gets nuked.

Why is Destiny being flogged everywhere? Because it's one of like 5 games Activision is putting out, so they all need to be billion dollar games. Call of Duty. Destiny. Skylanders. Annualized Transformers and Spider-Man. Blizzard's latest expansions or next game. That's the whole company now. They'll eventually revive Guitar Hero and maybe eventually Tony Hawk. Literally five games from the Activision side, all aiming for hundreds of millions or billions of dollars of revenue each. That's the New Normal. Destiny is a half-billion dollar minimum targeted game, and it's intended to be a multi-billion dollar franchise.

The same is true for all the first party publishers. More people making fewer games, experiments are kept small, full sized games need to be guaranteed smash successes. Games take at least two years to make now, so you basically have the option to announce one E3, demo a near-final next E3, release that fall (which you do if it's a once every two year franchise)... or do announce the same year you're releasing (which you do if you have two teams doing odd/even years of a franchise).

If this news is surprising or depressing, then the correct thing to do is to start paying less attention to video games, because then the annual sequels will at least surprise and impress you. If you check the news every day, you already know what most teams are doing (or if not, at least what stage in their game's development they're in), so you won't be blown away. You also don't need to watch E3 live. It's a lot easier to be happy when you catch a five minute recap the next morning with the highlights then when you get angry at Sony for wasting your time on Wonderbook because how dare they.

Great summary of how things are going now. If you want to be surprised or something new look into smaller games (those are the soooo much hated Indies) or stop playing video games.

Tobor

This x infinity. Everyone read this, and let it sink in. If there was a way to beat people over the head with this post, I would do so.

Ah well. At least it'll be something new to play then.

I don't understand your point. I think it looks fun based on what I know about it. I'm not massively excited but I'm looking forward to it.

Maybe I didn't explain myself properly though - the point I was making was that any doubts about messaging or communicating to potential buyers will probably be drowned out in a wave of millions and millions of advertising dollars. It's not really a positive or a negative, just making an observation. Hope that clears things up.

Yep it does, sorry for making false assumptions.

B.O.O.M

Yeah they announced this a couple of days back on their FB page. Hoping for a a relatively short segment of gameplay with less talking as possible

StuBurns

Banned
I think Stump's post is great, and very accurate, but I still feel it's the publishers (first parties more so) who are responsible for whipping people up into the frenzy that they fail to deliver on.

MS with their "We're going to do something completely new with E3", Sony with their come and see the show at the cinema thing. Don't raise expectations if you are incapable of meeting them.

Top Bottom