• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us PS3 vs PS4 comparison (spoilers!)

theWB27

This'll be my first time going into TLOU.....seriously even with the small amount of media I've seen. I know absolutely nothing about this game.

its a very minor upgrade for me, doesnt vindicate buying the game again on ps4 at all.

the fact that i am is an indication of how good that game is, one of the best games ive played, and me buying it is a way (only way) for me to let sony know that.

Fredrik

So comparing a game that was 720/30 to a 1080/60 game with a 720/30 video.
Lol yup, splendid work right there ;) It's quite obvious though that the 60fps fans like myself are the ones that'll get the most wows out of this. Can't wait!

I enjoyed what I got to play of the game on my PS3, until it froze and I got too scared to play it again after hearing all of the fat PS3 stories. Being able to retry this on PS4 is exciting for me!

Curious, what's the song in the trailer?

Shredderi

They should just show side by side comparison of the gameplay because I would imagine that the gameplay will look noticeably better on the ps4. I can't see much more than a res bump be done to the already pre-rendered cutscenes which were using higher quality assets. Sharper image, better textures, better antialiasing and draw distance will make a difference in real time. Much more so than in these cutscenes.

rbanke

I'm so pumped for this. TLOU & GTA5 both were games that I was completely distracted by how blurry they looked. The amount of detail in everything just made it that much more obvious. Cant wait to replay this.

hawk2025

These fucking nonsense videos from Gamestop and IGN.

Always the same shit, trying to show a difference with a crap video with crap encoding.

You can still see some of the increase in IQ, but trying to show this with a 720p/30fps video is complete nonsense. They wasted all their time editing it so nicely for no reason. Did people learn nothing from Kojima?

Probably on disc.

I was actually wondering if they'd let you play it at the start of the winter section.
Would make sense, no?

It's unlocked on the menu after beating the main game. And I don't think the pace of the game would flow as well if they inserted it. Glad its separate.

Always hate these comparisons. They always make the previous version look worse than what it was. like the ps3 version wasn't as blurry as this.

Cygnus

Banned
This video is nonsense. Native 720p is not that blurry in a 720p video. Not to mention it's not 1080/60

Here's the specs of the encode.
Code:
Video
Format                         : AVC
Format/Info                    : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                 : Main@L3.1
Format settings, CABAC         : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames      : 3 frames
Codec ID                       : 7
Duration                       : 1mn 43s
Nominal bit rate               : 4 000 Kbps
Width                          : 1 280 pixels
Height                         : 720 pixels
Display aspect ratio           : 16:9
Frame rate mode                : Constant
Frame rate                     : 29.970 fps
Color space                    : YUV
Chroma subsampling             : 4:2:0
Bit depth                      : 8 bits
Scan type                      : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)             : 0.145
Writing library                : x264 core 140
Encoding settings              : cabac=1 / ref=3 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x1:0x111 / me=hex / subme=7 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=0 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=24 / lookahead_threads=4 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=60 / keyint_min=6 / scenecut=0 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=abr / mbtree=1 / bitrate=4000 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / vbv_maxrate=8000 / vbv_bufsize=8000 / nal_hrd=none / filler=0 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00

Most people are completely oblivious.

Shin-Ra

Aren't all those sections from the prerendered cutscenes?
At least ten of the clips are realtime, in order (spoilers):

Joel getting pushed over the edge in University
The car window getting shot out after Joel and Ellie are ambushed
Ellie making the big jump from the yellow container
Ellie trying to help Joel out of the Bus
Joel, Tess and guards reacting to the explosion by the quarantine zone gates
Joel kicking down the hunter that attacked Ellie after getting ambushed
Bill picking Joel up after dropping from the trap
Tommy hitting the infected with a brick
Joel reaching down to lift up Ellie
The sniper attacking Joel with a knife

That wasn't that different, actually.... And I normally notice stuff like that. I mean it was better, don't get me wrong but not like.... "Remastered" better

Can't wait to play this again in crisp 1080p and smooth 60 fps :D

Sadly, yes. The difference would be more noticeable from a gameplay footage compared side-by-side. The cutscenes were already of higher quality on the PS3.

Yeah, I remember reading in the Edge preview of the game about this. Naughty Dog themselves mentioned that the cut scenes weren't the priority.

Sean

Banned
There's definitely something wrong with GameSpot's footage on the PS3 side. I still have footage of the first two hours captured on my computer (and my capture wasn't the greatest either, but still better than that). Here's a side by side of my capture versus theirs (both are PS3).

Gamespot:
ibbJOx9krhrdye.png

Mine (PS3):
ibnWPy7uE1LMO8.png

You can see theirs is more blurrier and washed out than it should be especially on Ellie's face (you can't see her freckles), forearm, wrist etc. The PS4 version will look better either way, but this isn't a good comparison since their PS3 footage is fucked up.

Winter John

Gold Member
Dear god, last year this was one of the best looking games on the PS3. Now they'd have you believe it's a shitty, blurry atrocity that should be burned and buried. Marketing at it's finest right there folks.

Renpatsu

Their PS3 capture is more compressed and washed out, huh?

I don't doubt that the remaster will look better, but this comparison is flawed to begin with.

This video is nonsense. Native 720p is not that blurry in a 720p video. Not to mention it's not 1080/60

Here's the specs of the encode.
Code:
Video
Format                         : AVC
Format/Info                    : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                 : Main@L3.1
Format settings, CABAC         : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames      : 3 frames
Codec ID                       : 7
Duration                       : 1mn 43s
Nominal bit rate               : 4 000 Kbps
Width                          : 1 280 pixels
Height                         : 720 pixels
Display aspect ratio           : 16:9
Frame rate mode                : Constant
Frame rate                     : 29.970 fps
Color space                    : YUV
Chroma subsampling             : 4:2:0
Bit depth                      : 8 bits
Scan type                      : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)             : 0.145
Writing library                : x264 core 140
Encoding settings              : cabac=1 / ref=3 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x1:0x111 / me=hex / subme=7 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=0 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=24 / lookahead_threads=4 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=60 / keyint_min=6 / scenecut=0 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=abr / mbtree=1 / bitrate=4000 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / vbv_maxrate=8000 / vbv_bufsize=8000 / nal_hrd=none / filler=0 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00

Putting my chips back in the cabnit, and the dip is going back into the fridge.

Will wait for proper comparison.

hawk2025

Dear god, last year this was one of the best looking games on the PS3. Now they'd have you believe it's a shitty, blurry atrocity that should be burned and buried. Marketing at it's finest right there folks.

Marketing?

You think marketing decided to showcase a 1080p/60 game as a shitty compressed 720p/30 video?

Are you guys even reading the thread?

Like others I don't remeber the ps3 looking even close to that bad or blurry. I remeber being blown away by it on the ps3 on a lot of those scenes. Not saying it won't look way better on the ps4 but I just don't believe the ps3 looked that bad. Hopefully someone can take their own shots and compare. Regardless, ps4 does look incredible.

There is something really not right about this comparison. I'm watching on a pretty small screen and there's no way it looked that blurry on my playthrough. Not saying the PS4 version won't be great, but this seems dramatically accentuated - that is not what the difference between 720p and 1080p looks like, ever.

Winter John

Gold Member
Marketing?

You think marketing decided to showcase a 1080p/60 game as a shitty compressed 720p/30 video?

Are you guys even reading the thread?

Why does this video exist? To generate interest in order to sell the game. That's what marketing is. So yes, I wouldn't put it beyond them to make the PS3 version look much worse than it actually is. There are ad agencies who have done much more devious things than that.

Top Bottom