• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN, Battlenet, Riot, and others DDOSed; PSN returning lightly toasted with butter

Dragon

Banned
Do you expect average Joe to understand what DDoS is? The "hacking" is just easier for them to understand, it doesn't mean any personal info was stolen any way, just that service is disrupted. Sometimes I just feel people on Gaf don't have any touch on reality.

Sony was hacked in 2011 and personal information was compromised. Using the same word to describe what happened yesterday is irresponsible.

AndyD

aka andydumi
The word hacking suggests that unauthorized users gained access to a network or system by circumventing the security measures. This isn't what a DDoS is, and it isn't what happened to Sony, thus, it is false reporting to call it hacking.

To be fair, some hack methods do use DDOS attacks as part of their approach. So to reduce it to the word hack is taking it too far, but to call it attempted hacking or a hacking attack could be appropriate.

baconcow

Is that NORSE thing actual attacks? It appears that a lot of the companies listed are "legit". I mean, why would Hyundai attack someone in the USA?

Edit: Decided to read the blurb on their webpage: "Norse delivers continuously-updated, unique Internet and darknet attack intelligence that helps organizations block attacks that other systems miss. The Norse live attack map is a visualization of a tiny portion (<1%) of the data processed by the Norse DarkMatter&#8482; platform every day." So it seems to just be processed data.

hesido

Is that NORSE thing actual attacks? It appears that a lot of the companies listed are "legit". I mean, why would Hyundai attack someone in the USA?

Machines can be compromised. Without the user's knowing you too could be a part of a big botnet without your knowledge. Actually, it's a whole new illegal business, that sells this distributed computing power by the hour.

But indeed, those companies need to do something about it if this is the case.

curb

Banned
If that Norse thing is correct, Seattle is getting hammered.

Edit: that thing is fun to watch. Bad for productivity though.

Holy shit! lol

idLgL8t1lnZy8.jpg

china is going ham right now

Damn ISIS is on a roll

http://www.news.com.au/technology/isis-claims-sony-cyber-attack-makes-bomb-threat-against-senior-exec-john-smedley/story-e6frfrnr-1227036641734

What have they got against sony? Kind of puts it in perspective people are wanting free games whilst the head of sony has his life threatened.

I really doubt Lizard Squad have anything to do with ISIS. Seems more likely to me that they are tweeting controversial propaganda in order to quickly gain attention.

Abelian75

Neo Member
Do you expect average Joe to understand what DDoS is? The "hacking" is just easier for them to understand, it doesn't mean any personal info was stolen any way, just that service is disrupted. Sometimes I just feel people on Gaf don't have any touch on reality.

I see where you're coming from here, but I feel like it actually is misinformation, if unintentional. I agree that most people wouldn't know what DDoS is or understand why it isn't "hacking", but I don't think it's because the two things sound the same to them.

Basically I don't think they're conflating the ideas of "breaking into a system" and "beating a system to death from the outside." Rather, they are assuming the attackers are breaking into the system, and are unaware it is possible to beat it to death from the outside. That's a bit different from just not caring which it is, imho, Once people are educated, roll their eyes a bit at the computer geeks, and decide they don't give a shit, THEN I'd agree that it is just shorthand. But I honestly think people as a whole are being led to think something false with attacks like these, and that they might care about the distinction if they understood. Perhaps I'm wrong!

Shock-Wave

Neo Member
Bravo, GAF. This has hit the upper echelons of threads in recent memory: Mumgate, InFamous, ISIS, Lizard/Fame, DDoS, Brazzers, XBL - all married into one neat package.

Derpcrawler

The word hacking suggests that unauthorized users gained access to a network or system by circumventing the security measures. This isn't what a DDoS is, and it isn't what happened to Sony, thus, it is false reporting to call it hacking.

I suggest you to look up term hacking again, instead of making stories out of your ass.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Of course it's working. We aren't talking about PSN here.

Given you have no investment in PSN other than to laugh and make some jokes, I see this half witted troll remark as highly unnecessary. Other companies get DDoS'd and it's happened to MSFT as well.

That doesn't facilitate the stealth troll remarks like this and the following post after yours.

Bad enough that John Smedley's flight had to be diverted. That's beyond some stupid system wars type banter. It's pathetic.

"Unclear whether this is a diversionary tactic" is my new favorite term since it's apparently a polite way of saying "what the fuck is this shit that makes zero sense?" This section from the BBC is great since it references insane stuff from very early in this thread before there was widespread understanding of what was going on--
BBC News said:
A Twitter account that has claimed responsibility for attacking Sony and the other video games firms has linked the attacks to the jihadist group Islamic State, posting: "Kuffar [non-muslims] don't get to play videogames until bombing of the ISIL stops."

But it is unclear whether this is a diversionary tactic, since an earlier post by the same account states: "Sony, yet another large company, but they aren't spending the waves of cash they obtain on their customers' PSN service. End the greed."
I feel like that needs a NSFW warning for some reason.

Top Bottom