• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN, Battlenet, Riot, and others DDOSed; PSN returning lightly toasted with butter

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Not gonna lie. I had my CC info on xbox live for 5+ yrs no prob.
Got a PS4 and in 2 months my PSN account was hacked for fifa points.
never again.

You were lucky one one service and unlucky on the other. That's all. Nothing more, nothing less.

UV-6

How does one recover from a DDoS attack of this scale? I assume it's not easy as just filtering out the bad traffic?

I don't think it is a humanity issue, more like a young male issue.

It is probably a good thing that women as a group will be dominant in a few decades if recent trends continue. Women are better able to adapt and compete in non-religious, post-industrial societies.

What the hell is going on in this thread?

Winter John

I'm glad I read some of the thread before switching on my PS4. Just turned it on and there was nothing but a blue screen, no menu at all. Disconnected the internet cable and the menu popped up. At least now I can play Diablo 3 on single player.

iceatcs

How does one recover from a DDoS attack of this scale? I assume it's not easy as just filtering out the bad traffic?
Not very easy if the servers already so popular demand. Esp like that PSN servers have many requests all the time.

Change the port to hide away from the same DDoS attack.

Serviam

Nope still offline. Even the playstation app isn't working.
Im connected to PSN now but I was to quick with my post. Still not connecting to my PS4, but at least its now searching over the internet. Before it died at searching locally.
Worst timing for PSN being down...

Thorgal

Really?

I never knew that.

How can we be in 2014 and companies can be this susceptible?
It is not the companies fault as the Attackers are using the internet to send massive amoun ts of fake requests to the server till it overloads and crashes. only defense against it is to shut the server down.

RPGamer92

Banned
Sucks for people who wanted to get something from the flash sale today. Maybe Sony will put up another once PSN is fixed. Glad I was able to download TOGf yesterday at least :/

I was joking :l

Really? My bad. As an apology, heres a gif, based on your avatar.

mgsv_tpp_goat_fulton_by_kokushovt-d7n7ovg.gif

DieH@rd

Banned
Really?

I never knew that.

How can we be in 2014 and companies can be this susceptible?

Everyone is susceptible to this, the only thing that matters is how determined attackers are. They can spread their own viruses that can take control of thousands of PCs all around the world, they can purchase additional "pre-loaded" groups of PCs, and then they can control them all to send incredible amount of bandwidth toward chosen servers. They are just bombarding them with bandwidth, making regular users unable to break through.

There is no absolute defense from this.

MMaRsu

Banned
Not gonna lie. I had my CC info on xbox live for 5+ yrs no prob.
Got a PS4 and in 2 months my PSN account was hacked for fifa points.
never again.

Lol some anecdotal shit right there. Didnt a ton of ppl get hacked on xbl for fifa points?

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
well i think someone is doing something to lizard too because you cannot access their irc anymore

aeolist

Banned
Everyone is susceptible to this, the only thing that matters is how determined attackers are. They can spread their own viruses that can take control of thousands of PCs all around the world, they can purchase additional "pre-loaded" groups of PCs, and then they can control them all to send incredible amount of bandwidth toward chosen servers. They are just bombarding them with bandwidth, making regular users unable to break through.

There is no absolute defense from this.

actually they're probably using a dns amplification attack https://www.us-cert.gov/ncas/alerts/TA13-088A

it's the most popular one these days, you don't even need your own botnet

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
I hope this is true. I always wonder if when something like this happens, a much better hacker somewhere is effected and pissed off.

they keep calling out anonymous so i think they may get involved lol

Let's hope that this is just a DoS attack. It's not unheard of for such attacks to be used as a flanking maneuver for intrusions. I assume Sony have taken necessary precautions to make sure history doesn't repeat itself, though. Sucks for everyone involved :(.

liquidtmd

Banned

Its crazy. I work for a large multinational banks IT team, and co-ordinate with our Global Infrastructure Security framework. We spend insane figures to mitigate this stuff, routing Datacentre traffic through dedicated secure external pathways, and still get hit and impacted.

Its bullshit teenage logic for justifying illicit activity.

UV-6

Holy shit, I'm watching the video of the massive DDoS attack on Spamhaus and apparently a 15 year old kid with his 3 buddies in London launched it all on their own. No botnets, just 50 lines of code and a few servers. That's scary.

Top Bottom