• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer Online Open Beta IS GO. Unless you're European. GOA says LOLOL

Chris R

Teknopathetic said:
"(can I mouseover and find out what class someone is?)"

Err....you don't really need to. Each class has a pretty distinctive look.
They do, but I don't know the look right now :lol guess with more playtime it will come, but would be nice to know which one of those dudes in the distance is doing the healing

pilonv1

wish there was an in game ping or real world clock.

also how can you hate on public quests? they're fun and they're optional. must be loot whores crying because they didn't get anything out of it.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Draft said:
vtreadingsmall.jpg

My Bright Wizard Vodkateets :lol

:lol :lol :lol

- Way too many public quests first of all.

you do have a bit of a point here, theres so many, people usually just end up doin the ones closest to town mostly, not something i'd say I WILL NOT BUY THIS GAME IT HAS TOO MANY QUESTS, but it's a decent point

- Killing monsters 1 by 1 is completely useless because they give nearly no experience (no grinding).

killing spree bonus! makes grinding fun as hell for me

- Seems no equipment comes off of crap mobs (atleast for now).

just like wow, mostly vendor trash, sometimes you get blues/epics, but gear isn't being welfared out to everyone here

- Rvr is boring as freakin hell. In wow Battlegrounds are extremely fun but here it's so boring.

it's the exact same thing as BG's, except there's more, does not help that we're low level so combat is kinda simplistic, like wsg at lvl 9 ZzzzzzzzZzzz

- Oh hi go to the second zone and get ganked constantly at lvl 8. wtf...

no clue what this is about :p

Oh ya I forgot to mention the graphics are really bad. Even at max settings they look bland and boring.

truth, performance is meh, client chugging down 1.2-1.5g of ram is kinda nuts, view distance blows too, though ram is basically free these days, still

i still say that it's a pretty fucked up graphics:performance atm

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Fuck the graphics are terrible thats my first complaint about the game. Currently running it at 1920x1200 everything high and it runs fine, but christ on a stick, am i playing a game from the mid 90s?!

Currently cruising with a level 5 witch hunter on icecrown (oceanic) order - name is evlcookie.

Not sure why level 11's were killing me in the "battlegrounds". I wasnt expecting that since WoW has a 10 level difference cap.

The one thing i love and its the best thing ever, is the fact it shows you on your map where you should be going for any of the quests you have. That is just bloody awesome.

Here are 2 images, both 2mb each due to resolution size, no im not going to shrink them just yet :lol . Will try find a faster host and resize them + more later on.

Starting area
Public Quest

Anyway back to it!

Ferrio

Banned
evlcookie said:
Not sure why level 11's were killing me in the "battlegrounds". I wasnt expecting that since WoW has a 10 level difference cap.

The 1st tier ends at 11, so you won't see any 12s. Also you're automatically leveled to level 8 in tier 1 (only stat wise) if you're below 8.

Surfheart

evlcookie said:
Fuck the graphics are terrible thats my first complaint about the game. Currently running it at 1920x1200 everything high and it runs fine, but christ on a stick, am i playing a game from the mid 90s?!

Yeah, it looks pretty foul.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Ferrio said:
The 1st tier ends at 11, so you won't see any 12s. Also you're automatically leveled to level 8 in tier 1 (only stat wise) if you're below 8.

Ah well that explains it, thanks.

I keep getting stuck :lol . Damn nation.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
I don't think it looks as bad as people are saying, but if sure doesn't live up to some of the screens I've seen.

It's like there are loads of missing textures or something.

And how can you say too many public quests? :D

Do towns get bigger as you move from tier to tier? I'd love to see some real towns/cities here.

Ceebs said:
Is there any other way to download the client than wait in this godawful Fileplanet queue for over 16 hours?

Id really like to know as well

Fileplanet keeps fucking stopping and making me restart every hour...

Dedalus

Got my email at 3:46am, about 14 hours after I registered. Authentication still down. Now to face a gruelling day at work when I could be patching! :lol :D

Neckbeard69

Neo Member
i was liek wtf said:
so eu is still suffering, but i happen to have a us key too. is there a way to connect us open beta servers with eu open beta build?

No, sorry. Must have US-client to play the US open beta.

fallout

Game's fun, blah blah blah. Onto more important things.

WHERE'S THE ASSIST KEY

Me and a buddy were doing the RvR stuff and couldn't assist each other, which made picking healers considerably more difficult. There are assist keys, but they're cumbersome. I just want to target someone and then hit a button and have it target their target.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Not too bad of a game, no matter how bad the animation, fighting, and the entire 90s feel is, im still enjoying it to some degree. I'm not too sure why i am enjoying it, maybe its just that mmo feel. Id probably enjoy hello kitty mmo as much as this.

Public Quests seem to be hit and miss with people i have seen. Myself and 2 others did a PQ on our own and i rolled last woo :lol . RvR seems a bit empty at the moment, killed a couple of guys but thats about it. Im guessing it gets a bit more interesting and action packed as you hit the higher levels.

And my first bsod, not too sure what caused it but im guessing it was the game.

Surfheart

TheHeretic said:
Everything around you looks fine, its just a pop in/draw distance issue.

Yep it's just the textures that begin 20 feet away. The rest of the game looks fine. I'm sure it will be fixed for launch.

Beepos

Also if your computer can handle it force AA and AF through your graphics card control panel. It makes everything so much better - options no doubt that will available as standard after launch.

Chris R

Beepos said:
Also if your computer can handle it force AA and AF through your graphics card control panel. It makes everything so much better - options no doubt that will available as standard after launch.
aa and af does make it better, but man the draw distance is piss poor :(

Concept17

I've played a couple hours now...

The game is pretty solid in comparison to most MMOs at its stage, certainly far ahead of AoC was/is. The game has a lot going for it, and I'm very surprised by how well done the entire interface is. The public quests are a nice spin on things. I haven't really done any RvR yet.

Overall I don't know. I think I've burnt out on MMOs. They just dont feel worthwhile to me anymore, and I get more enjoyment out of normal online games. I'll give the OB a couple more tries, but right now I think I'm gonna pass on this one. Especially when I'm beyond hyped for other fall games, mainly LBP and R2.

kozmo7

Truly deserves to shoot laserbeams from his eyes
Little bit of Off-topic but I am having some trouble.

Have any of you later comers had any luck getting your hands on the CE? Be it Ebay, Craigslist some sort of strange online retailer that had a copy? I am getting desperate here. :lol

Hooker

Hooker said:
And there comes the email for account number 3 :lol :lol :lol
I just woke up and there is account email number 4, 5 and 6 :lol :lol :lol

Man, am I glad I didn't put in any CC details, I would have been charged 6 times!!

Ferrio

Banned
evlcookie said:
Public Quests seem to be hit and miss with people i have seen. Myself and 2 others did a PQ on our own and i rolled last woo :lol . RvR seems a bit empty at the moment, killed a couple of guys but thats about it. Im guessing it gets a bit more interesting and action packed as you hit the higher levels.

Most of the Open RvRing happens in the human vs chaos side.

Mallika

Hooker said:
I just woke up and there is account email number 4, 5 and 6 :lol :lol :lol
So, here's an update on my EU adventure, which I abandoned last night in complete and utter disgust.

I got 2 emails this morning (one was sent at 3:40 am, the other was sent at 6am -- I saw the emails at 8), with a confirmation link that actually worked. Then per recommendations on the WHA forums I did a weird workaround for the logging in / inputting the key that seemed to work, only it kept asking me to verify that yes I want to confirm that I want to use the damn OB key. Finally after everything (I was able to hit Validate key / Yes to confirm, even with errors) and then getting a completely black screen, I said fuck it.

Then I decided on a whim to try the launcher even though I didn't get an email confirming my use of a key -- and was actually able to log in. Patcher is at 81% now. At least it appears I will be able to get in, somehow.

And all this just to register a key. :lol

I hate you GOA. D:

Hooker

Mallika, did it go through right at once? or did you get some errors?

I'm curious to what errors you might have received, because all of my 6 (!!) accounts get the 'your account has been suspended' error... :(

EDIT: And now the error is 'undefined'... meh

Mallika

Hooker said:
Mallika, did it go through right at once? or did you get some errors?

I'm curious to what errors you might have received, because all of my 6 (!!) accounts get the 'your account has been suspended' error... :(

EDIT: And now the error is 'undefined'... meh
When I clicked the link in the email, it went to a page and it immediately told me that my account was verified. Lucky me, I guess. Then, in the midst of a billion 414, 1103, 1304, and 300 errors (also the 'servers down' and 'undefined' ones -- I just kept refreshing) I was able to log in. Of course it didn't tell me that I was logged in, it just kept giving me the errors, and then after I tried to log in again it told me I was 'already logged it' (yeah, logged IT. Fuck you GOA -- then again don't know what to expect from people who can't even spell IRELAND correctly even though they work in the country (they spelled it as Irland on the SE partners page)).

That was when I found that thread I linked in my post above (weird workaround).

So I tried it out, and was able to get to the product key page after reloading a few times. (It'll keep wanting you to log in, but if you already 'logged it' then just keep refreshing till you see your username and a spinning wheel of death over 'Product Key' button. If you're lucky the page will load to one where you can type in the key. If not, you keep getting an error window with nowhere to put in a key. If that happens, refresh.)

I typed in my key, a Validate button popped up, I clicked it, there was a 1304 or 1103 error, don't remember. As per advice I ignored it, and then suddenly it changed to 414. I ignored the window, no clicking Ok, no nothing. After a while, the main page stopped loading and Validate button came up again, so I clicked it. I clicked it about 5 times (with the error window still open) and finally got to a part where they said they validated the key and was I sure I wanted to use it? No / Yes.

I was like, FUCKING YES YOU STUPID PIECE OF SHIT WEBSITE, and clicked Yes. Of course it popped up the error window, which I again ignored. And I kept having to click Yes. Then it went back to having me click Validate. And then Yes again. Over and over and over, round and round we go. And then I finally got a completely black screen.

That was when a vein popped in my forehead and I said, fuck this.

I looked back at a thread or two and found that some people were able to log into the patcher/loader even when they hadn't gotten a 'your key is now used' confirmation email, so I decided to try that. And it worked.

ANd I am in the game, at the character creation screen. There's only one server up (FR) at the moment so yeah, haven't actually gotten into the world yet. I'm in a queue of 389 people. (Edit: 458 now, but I'm #87.)

Edited to add some more details.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Think im done with my warhammer for tonight. Not too sure how i feel about it. I got sick and tired of dying and then running 400 miles to start it all over again, while it was annoying in WoW for some reason its even more annoying in WaR.

Dont think i will be picking up a copy and paying a monthly fee for it but i will stick it out with the OB and see what happends.

What's the max level for the OB? 20 isnt it ?

So.. been playing it for about 3-4 hours. I have a lvl 5 magus.

He looked awesome in the character select.. only to find he is fairly bleh. I do some insane dmg in RvR events which is pretty awesome but his skills arent flashy looking.. I like flashy looking spells :(

Also his 1 long range attack has some insane range and dmg but a long cast time. He is a bit weak when people are on him though he has some decent close range spells as well.

The demon is just extra fodder.. it does some meh dmg.. and is nice for some extra shots when doing RvR. The queues are pretty ridiculous for RvR at the moment which kinda leaves me a bit bitter ... hopefully this gets better.

The fighting seems okay. Seems about as fast as WoW honestly. The graphics are nice too but a bit foggy cloudy in some places and I have issues seeing some things.

Public Quests was interesting and a nice new addition to mmo's. I also loved how the interface for quests worked and how they highlighted the area on where the quest needed to be finished.. god why the EFF does WoW not do that? That pretty much eliminates the need for things like Thottbot sometimes.. Its great!

I may switch to a sorceress or the orc range fighter.. I need some more spark to the spells I cast.. right now the Magus ones are putting me to sleep.

Hooker

Mallika said:
Hooker, did you get anything to work yet?
Nope :(

I think the multiple accounts all registered to the same email somehow banned me, weird considering I never got to the confirmation stage of any of those. I guess I'll wait until they open the pages themselves. I don't think an email would help as they're probably drowning in the hate mail... :(

twofold

Trevor360 said:
Playing chosen right now. Anyone know whats better for dps:
+8str or
-8 toughness (on enemy)

So you know, you can have both active at the same time. There's a 12s overlap when you switch auras, so, just cycle back and forth between them every 12s while in combat. Can have up to three active. Pretty cool mechanic.

Fonds

Dear all,

I rarely address players directly, but I wanted to write you as too few of you have been able to access the open beta today.

As my team explained in the previous post, although we have opened the servers and corrected numerous issues during the last 24 hours but we have not yet solved the issue of saturated Open Beta key activations that we’re currently experiencing. I am sincerely sorry for this, and I understand all the frustration the situation has spawned.

Today was a dark day. We expected a massive influx of players, but reality was even harsher.
I personally commit that we will communicate to you as clearly as possible on the resolution of these current issues. My goal is to give Warhammer Online the success it deserves. Be ensured that all GOA teams, with Mythic’s support, are working hard to bring you the best possible game experience.

Best regards,
Ghislaine Le Rhun
GOA CEO

Fuck... it's run by the French. Europe will never get to play War... it's just become official.

Hooker

UPDATE

Early this morning we told you that we were working on our database servers and that we would update you with more information as we had it. Now we can tell you that the situation is as follows:

We have processed all the information from yesterday, all the new signups from yesterday have been processed and you should have received your validation email, while the database server is down however it will not be possible to follow the link to validate your account.

We have brought down our database servers to reconfigure it as we explained to you previously. Currently we are in the process of finalising the software changes and we expect to be able to update you on the progress of this at around Noon CET today.

Once again, we are sorry for the disappointment and we ask for your patience for just a little longer.

Meh...

Xavien

Just saw this from one of GOA's "community managers":

Alrighty let's have a little post mortem on the situation.

Firstly let's get the obvious stuff out of the way. Yesterday was in no way, shape or form a success. A lot of things went very wrong. Funnily enough however they didn't go wrong in the way most people thought they would or for the reasons that were being thrown around.

The website and our entire platform got hammered yesterday - which we expected. We knew how many open beta keys we'd given away and what sort of traffic to expect as a result. We got a lot more than we were expecting and yet the platform held up, the site slowed down (which was inevitable with the sheer volume of traffic, even a basic HTML page would have been slow under that onslaught) but everything stayed up.

The account system broke. This wasn't down to the traffic (although that was a factor), nor the fact that the page was in Flash. There was a problem with our database server which didn't surface during testing. As you can read in the news, we have been working on this all night and we expect this to be resolved soon. Ultimately the system didn't work but we're glad we found the issue now in beta rather than before the headstart or live begins. Many of you criticised the decision to bring the account pages online the same day as the beta began but this was not the cause of the problems. While yesterday was a very painful day for us, there is a silver lining because it means that our headstart and live launch will be significantly more robust.

There was some miscommunication as well which falls entirely on us. The confusion over people with war-europe accounts not needing to create a new beta account was the main issue, other than that the team who were in the office yesterday worked very hard to keep you updated. Magnus and the other CMs who were working yesterday were in the office from 7:30am through to 3am this morning. During that time our teams were working on several different situations at once and the situation was often in a state of considerable flux. We had technical teams working on various solutions, management teams dealing with our partners and, for the most part, these people were busy fixing things rather than writing status reports that were likely to be out of date by the time they hit the CM team. Despite that, Magnus and the others posted what they had, when they had it both on the official news site and around the various fan forums.

Overall then, some things went right - not many to be sure and the important things certainly didn't. We made some mistakes, we expected many problems and we found some entirely different ones. We disappointed many of you by not letting you get into the open beta when we said you would and for that I am sorry. All of us are disappointed that we couldn't bring you the service you expected. I wasn't at work yesterday, Magnus was the man on the scene covering the situation, but I did keep a close eye on forums and was in contact with the guys in the office. A lot of what was said yesterday here and on other forums was entirely out of line. Of course you were disappointed and criticism is certainly warranted but frankly many of the posts made about the situation were borderline sociopathic. If having delayed access to a beta test really drives you to such depths of anger and fury then - and there is no polite way to put this - there is something wrong with you.

Today we have a lot of people at the office who are preparing to put in a long week after a long weekend to make things right. This isn't magically going to make yesterday alright but we are very much committed to making sure that you aren't disappointed again.

The bolded part is just wow, a Community Manager (Customer Support) is telling people, that because they didn't get what they paid for, that something is wrong with them because they are angered that they didn't get what they paid for and were lied to.

I think someone needs to tell GOA, these are paying customers now (CE edition etc), not some closed beta test rabble, you cant talk your customers this way and not expect a massive backlash.

Won

Woah...I read several posts from that guy over the last week......can't believe that he still has a job........

Mallika

Plus he was the one who said that they considered the 7th to be the first day of everything, that they would be dealing with 'paying customers' from here on out.

I love how they twist it around so that it seems people's concerns are somehow not at all legitimate. Good going.

If having delayed access to a beta test really drives you to such depths of anger and fury then - and there is no polite way to put this - there is something wrong with you.

as much as i can understand the frustration involved and the remarks made towards you, you really cant make comments like that towards customers. im shocked he still has a job.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Xavien said:
Just saw this from one of GOA's "community managers":

The bolded part is just wow, a Community Manager (Customer Support) is telling people, that because they didn't get what they paid for, that something is wrong with them because they are angered that they didn't get what they paid for and were lied to.

I think someone needs to tell GOA, these are paying customers now (CE edition etc), not some closed beta test rabble, you cant talk your customers this way and not expect a massive backlash.
That was IainCs first reaction to this mess, and while he admitted that GOA screwed up, he still felt fit to have a dig at the community? Where was he yesterday when the shit hit the proverbial?

If there was anything worse than GOAs handling of the servers yesterday, it is the PR side, poor MagnusK was left on his own to explain to everyone what was going on, and this tool pipes up the next day and tells the community not to get angry?

Fire this man, now.

Lord Phol

Hooker said:
UPDATE

Early this morning we told you that we were working on our database servers and that we would update you with more information as we had it. Now we can tell you that the situation is as follows:

We have processed all the information from yesterday, all the new signups from yesterday have been processed and you should have received your validation email, while the database server is down however it will not be possible to follow the link to validate your account.

We have brought down our database servers to reconfigure it as we explained to you previously. Currently we are in the process of finalising the software changes and we expect to be able to update you on the progress of this at around Noon CET today.

Once again, we are sorry for the disappointment and we ask for your patience for just a little longer.

Meh...

Should have maybe, but I didn't.
I'm not even sure I'm registered or not, all I get is a "mofasathegreat@hotboys.nz is alread in use" whenever I try to reg.
So gimme mah email for heaven's sake! >:O

Mallika

Stop It said:
this tool pipes up the next day and tells the community not to get angry?
Not only that, but if we did get pissed off, there is something wrong with us! Woo. I really feel like giving them my money now!

Seriously, wtf dude. Even if WAR's the best game ever, treating customers like shit isn't going to make me want to have anything to do with you.

Top Bottom