• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Game Awards (Dec 5): VGAs replacement [funded by] Keighley, game world premiers

Status
Not open for further replies.

jony_m

https://twitter.com/geoffkeighley/status/531927355590053888

sG7C316Q+

I've seen several people comment about how expensive the tickets are. I've paid many, many times over that price for concerts, theater shows and other events. What makes $45 so expensive for a standalone show that only a select few will get to attend once a year?

Seems pretty reasonable to me just to be a part of it (assuming it turns out better than last year's comparable shindig, and I have no reason to believe Keighley won't have the means and respect to do it well this time around).

geoffmk

Geoff Keighley
So, Keighly, why are the major console producers and game producers on the "advisory" council for this? It sounds almost more like a marketing event than the Spike awards show ever was (and it was hella advertising).

They are on the advisory board because I want their support. If you desire to build a show for the game audience it's kind of important to get it in front of those people who have Xbox, PlayStation, Nintendo, Steam, etc., especially when I don't have a multi million dollar marketing budget.

What is the purpose of the advisory council?

To get their advice and show their support/endorsement of what I'm building. That's important now that I'm building the show independently.

What oversight does the advisory council have, if applicable?

Zero overnight, I just ask them for advice on topics and their support along the way.

How will the advisory council be maintained? Will members ever change? Is there disciplinary action (IE: Removal from council) if impropriety is found?

Yes we will be adding members over time, I'd like to expand the council to folks outside of gaming too down the road. No disciplinary rules in place right now, but if publishers campaign inappropriately to the judges they can have their games disqualified.

I'll talk more about the awards next week in terms of categories, voting and so on.

Spaghetti

Yep. There is no way he was talking about the DD and Quiet cutscene. A story trailer was originally planned for TGS but they changed plans and we see it now at this show... ?
to be honest i don't really think there was a story trailer planned for tgs. it had a very similar showing to ground zeroes did the previous year. i guess they just got keifer to say some non-specific stuff.

edit: hey geoff, i've seen some grumbling about a lack of women on the advisory board. what's the deal with that?

KoopaTheCasual

They doing console war ? oh god...please no
Aahahahaha, this is actually amazing. Fuel that console warrior fire. It'll make for a more interesting show. You think they would have sectioned areas?

If they go all out I expect a red (Nintendo), blue (Playstation, and green (Xbox) area for fans.

salromano

Can I host?

No one knows who I am and I have no experience hosting.

But it'd look nice on my resume, so it's probably a good decision.

wrowa

edit: hey geoff, i've seen some grumbling about a lack of women on the advisory board. what's the deal with that?

The CEOs and higher ups of the different publishers happen to be men? Kind of a weird complaint, it's not Geoff's fault that those positions aren't held by women in the different companies. It's quite obvious that this is not about the individual people, but about their companies...

Lucreto

On December 5, videogame creators, press, and fans around the world will come together to celebrate all things videogames with The Game Awards 2014. Built to honor every aspect of the world’s most dynamic form of entertainment, The Game Awards 2014 will highlight the cultural significance of the $100B a year gaming industry with awards, world premieres, musical performances, and appearances by game developers, eSports players and online content creators.

I really hope it is not like Snoop Dog and or whoever is popular right now but gaming music like Video Games live or Distant Worlds or a mixture of both.

A find it more annoying spending big money on these people and they have no idea why they are there other than a paycheck and then give an awkward interview and name drop Call of Duty as their favourite game.

Codeblue

Just bring the trailers in, I don't care about the show.

Yeah.

I don't understand why that aspect even exists. I'm not terribly interested in what appears to be publishers giving themselves awards.

Can't we just have E3 in December and do away with the filler?

Still, best of luck to Geoff, and I hope this turns out to be the show he's been trying to make for the last decade.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Oh Activision is not invited to the party?
I imagine it's not as enticing if you don't expect to either A.) win awards or B.) reveal games.

Everyone else there probably expects to do (or at least feels good about overall) one of the two or is a platform vendor.

LycanXIII

It's going to be an awesome one-two punch of the awards on Friday night, then PlayStation Experience on Sat/Sun. The fact that event is in Vegas gave me confidence to do the show in a pretty big 7,000 seat theater and invite the public in a big way.

There will be some other publisher events too, but I'll let them announce those on their own schedules.

Are we getting a winter E3?!?

El_Calhau

Neo Member
Hi guys - Thanks for the interest. Happy to answer questions about the show here on GAF.
Please Geoff just tell me one thing, is Valve going to say anything else besides "steam this and steam that" this awards show is giving too much hope for me to handle, please crush my dreams right now if need be.

I'm not seeing Bethesda listed as a partner...

I guess that means that, unless it's there on behalf of Sony or MS, we ain't going to see Fallout 4.

Palpable

Buying my tickets right now. I'm also going to PSE. I'm so glad Kojima is going to be there. I can finally meet him. I wonder if he'll be at PSE as well since they're both in Vegas on the same weekend.

What's your personal benchmark for this event,Geoff?

Frankly, I kinda stopped giving a shit about award shows not named BAFTA at this point. I know there's stuff like world premieres and all that extra fluff to spice up the event, but those should not be the crutch for the event.

I can watch the world premiere clips later if that's all the event is good for. The actual award show needs to be a strong showing on its own right.

geoffmk

Geoff Keighley
What's your personal benchmark for this event,Geoff?

Frankly, I kinda stopped giving a shit about award shows not named BAFTA at this point. I know there's stuff like world premieres and all that extra fluff to spice up the event, but those should not be the crutch for the event.

I can watch the world premiere clips later if that's all the event is good for. The actual award show needs to be a strong showing on its own right.

I was at the BAFTAs this year, they did a nice job. My view is that the premieres get viewers to tune in, which in turn lets us get the awards in front of many more viewers than other shows.

An awards show backed by the companies which make the games? Yep sure sounds like a fair set up to me

Sounds ethical to me.

Similarly, the Oscars are run by the MPAA, which is the trade organization that represents the six major studios. Gamers should be thrilled by this news. We're getting an awards show funded by ALL of the major companies, which levels the playing field. It's created for and by the gaming industry, without Viacom or any other entity trying to force it to appeal to mixed audiences. It's also being hosted by somebody with experience, a deep history with the industry, and a passion for the evolution of how this stuff is presented.

There's, frankly, ZERO downside to this. This is incredible news. For better or worse, we're finally going to see an awards show that is what the gaming culture actually wants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom