• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Game Awards (Dec 5): VGAs replacement [funded by] Keighley, game world premiers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Videogames are more than wow such epic much wowzers moments. There's sound, there's art direction, there's character design.

It's just what I'm saying. There was already prices for Music and sound.:

Best world in a game.
Best graphics.
Best game trailer.

Are for art direction.

Best writing in a game. Best male/female character are for character design.

Best In-game innovation.
Best Online experience.
Best optional feature:

Are for innovations and features.

That doesn't mean that we can't have some awards just for fun. Like best Wow moment, best easter egg, best cheat code, etc.

Hi guys - Thanks for the interest. Happy to answer questions about the show here on GAF.

Along with the awards, how much of a focus will there be on looking at titles that have come out over the past year, games coming out in the future, or just generally content dealing with game creators and the games themselves?

Duxxy3

Thanks, I'm looking to build something more along the lines of what I do with Final Hours or Last of Us: One Night Live. Of course you'll be the judges of how this all comes together.

I'm OK with this.

edit: One thing I have to add - please don't be "fair" with the awards. Give the award to the game or studio that deserves it. In the past we've seen the game that is unquestionably the best game not get the best game award, and instead the studio gets the best studio. Also if the best game is an action game, it should win for best action game and for best game.

StuBurns

Banned
I'm not opposed to CG stuff when it's right -- Blur does amazing work. But I hear you on more in-game content. That's really up to publishers too. I have some say, but the reveals are really driven by publishers and what they are willing to show off.
I like Blur's work too (although I think Logan's work is generally stronger), but it feels so disingenuous at this point. Games are looking technically beautiful across the board, marketing cycles are getting down to a more reasonable turn around, meaning games should be further along when they're announced.

Obviously if MS want to announce Minecraft 2 with a CG trailer, it'd be insane not to feature it, but any push back you can offer to skew the reveals more in favor of in-game, I think would make for a more enjoyable show.

I honestly thought we were getting somewhere with this before E3's awful slew of CG crap.

SPEA

Let's get the major one out of the Geoff, how much of an influence to the show are the publishers? Do they have an active hand in the content being presented during the show or are they more like "sponsors" in the background while you and your team do their own thing?

He commented on that already. It's earlier in the thread.

DieH@rd

Banned
I think show will be good this year.

It can hardly be worse than last year [which had good games, but terrible presentation].

Please no skits or attempts at "gamer humor." Just stick to showing off awesome games, highlighting interesting developers, and being as earnest as possible.

Tobor

I think that's an excellent question and one I struggle with all the time. At the end of the day a lot of you guys want to see forward-looking content on big games in 2015 and beyond. Awards are really important, but at the same time I know it's not the most compelling content to see 25 back to back award presentations.

Will all awards be on stage, or will there be off air winners as well?

legacyzero

Banned
Joel will not be hosting.
Good. YOU should host. Or at least bring Sammy J back in.

You're all the show needs as a host TBH. Maybe some of the GT folk? Kaiser? Mckay? Etc?

Heck, if you're thinking the celeb route, Aisha Tyler has been great the last few years.

RPGCrazied

Sessler seems to have turned into a shill-for-hire. I might be mistaken, but that was my impression.

Seems fine to me. Been watching him ever since the ZDTV days. A long freaking time. Hell, geoff could host it and I wouldn't care. Been following since his g4tv.com tv show days.

jelly

Please bring some class. VGAs is pure trash. Celebrate games and creators the right way and less celebrity nonsense unless they are involved with games and no lame stereotype videogame jokes.

Kandinsky

Does this affect you emotionally or something? If anything, is better to have Nintendo into this things than out

Yes, I don't like seeing Nintendo in those kinds of shows, they always seem out of place with all the AAA/guns/action and swearing going on. Watching Miyamoto last year was awful, poor guy.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I also think Geoff is a cool host. Geoff and Aisha.

Just please not any YouTube personality. They just aren't comfortable in front of an audience.

gogosox82

So new video games award show. Hope it better than the VGA/\VGX awards. Those were always so embarrassingly bad. Just make it about celebrating games and innovation in games and NO JOEL MCHALE PLZ.

Corpsepyre

Banned
I really think people just want to be edgy when they say they want Joel back.

He might be a good guy, but he was objectively just awful last year.

Nothing edgy about it. He was really entertaining last year is all, though it didn't end up saving the show or anything.

Bsigg12

You can buy tickets now through Ticketmaster with Microsoft's code JAMESONLOCKE so they will definitely be showing off the Halo 5 singleplayer.

Tickets are $45 dollars btw

kris.

Banned
yesjacknicholson.gif

this is starting to sound like something i'd watch. so glad Spike doesn't have anything to do with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom