• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Game Awards (Dec 5): VGAs replacement [funded by] Keighley, game world premiers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nibel

No entry fee to be nominated.
Voted on my worldwide media in most categories, there are also a few fan categories too. Will share more about this next week.

What are the chances of including 'NeoGAF Game Of The Year' as a category? I'm sure we can finish the yearly GOTY voting just in time!

Derphoof

Can we have Geoff appear on stage as the Dorito Pope, bestowing awards onto developers from an "Iron Throne" made of Mountain Dew bottles? While the Glorious Dew flows from it's sides, an everlasting reminder of the generous citrus flavor that fuels us all?

Bpsf9yGCYAAfowM.jpg

In all seriousness though, this awards show sounds like it has great potential! Good luck! Don't waste it!

Mr Git

Looks like Keighley decided to lean more towards something like the Baftas after attending them. Hopefully better than VGX. That made my ears vomit.

Really happy to see this is happening. Geoff is a great guy and really good at what he does. I have confidence he'll put together a sweet show. I think viewers will be happy if there's a couple of cool exclusive reveals, some good footage of games coming in 2015, and a respectful celebration of the gaming industry's talent.

Hi guys - Thanks for the interest. Happy to answer questions about the show here on GAF.

Not really questions...Mor like a wishlist (let me dream)

- make it a big serious show (like the oscars) Winning this Award should be a Honor and make the developers/producers proud

- If you invite stars, then atleast the ones with connection to the gaming industry (ellen page, Willen Dafoe, Kevin Spacey)

- how about working together with famous gamers from youtube ? Boogie, AngryJoe and co. (they have huge fanbases & would push the interest for the awards) they could also do the comedy part ?

- A good balance between Indie Titles & Big Games. Some big Announcements would be great (like the last of us in 2012)

- Music & livebands should also be connected to Gaming. --> The Last of Us Soundtrack Live. Famous composers like Shimomura on stage with some live orchestral music

Very looking forward to this.

I know no decisions have been made on the host, but will there be individual presenters for different awards?

If so, I think it would be great for the presenters to be associated to the field, rather than a celebrity. If I won for example "best Indie Game" I would rather get the award and shake hands with Tim Schafer, Kojima etc. Rather than Joel Mchale.

DMiz

Congrats, Geoff - glad to hear that you are getting another chance to take a crack at the bat for this when nobody else seems interested to, outside of things that are particularly insular (like GDC).

I will echo the comments that have been made above with respect to how we are all hoping this turns out: while I can understand that nobody is asking for black suits and ties, I don't think it's entirely off-base to say we are all hoping for some level of class. This doesn't mean that presenters need to be overly serious or for there to be lacking in any way of 'fun' during the show - video games are ultimately about whimsy, though the tone that takes and the direction it moves in differs from game to game - but rather that we are hoping for a kind of self-reflection with a celebration of the people who made games. Many of the shows past always seemed overtly aware of who it was being shown to; so much so that it came off as obnoxious, either overly pandering or attempting to 'shoulder rub' in a very sophomoric way. We get it - it's video games, it's a very meme-focused industry with in-gags and entirely self-referential. But given all that's happened this year, now seems like the perfect time for you - and those partnering with you - to think back on the year we've had and meaningfully comment on it.

Like a lot of viewers during VGX, the Donkey Kong documentary stood out as the major thing from the show that was most enjoyable and surprisingly entertaining. That's the kind of human element I hope you can bring to this year's presentation: instead of just trailers of fictional characters thanking fans for the awards or random comedic vignettes, just having the opportunity to see the art director go up on stage and make a few specific call-outs to the challenges he or she faced when designing that character and how they feel being recognized by the press and fans for their efforts would go a long way to re-introducing the people behind the games we love.

If nothing else, I hope you can somehow find a way to give developers a chance to think of this as the 'fan' side of GDC - that we are recognizing the talent and hard-work that comes with making games, and if possible, for them to share a part of that story and to describe what it feels like to know thousands, if not millions of people are playing something they made and enjoying that particular aspect of it. There are a lot of unsung heroes in our industry, and while they may get recognition among their peers, I feel it's a much needed time now for us to be singing their praises, as well. It's not easy - especially since you only have two hours to work with and undoubtedly obligations to sponsors and supporters to include specific previews or demonstrations within that time slot - but if you can somehow show us that personable side to the people who make the things that draw us in year after year, you have my vote for another year.

Squire

Banned
Tell me more.

Just quoting so you see my post.

Just wanted to put my vote in for either you, Aisha Tyler, or Troy Baker as host. The three of you are known, extremely well-spoken, and and obviously love the medium.

Already saw you say you're still trying to figure out the hosting bit, just wanted to make my voice heard. Thanks for keeping an eye on this thread.

Anth0ny

One of my other biggest concerns, and this has been expressed by others, is that there is a level of class that this event needs to have. That it doesn't insult the viewer and cater to the lowest common dominator that are only tuning in for the music acts and crude and outright insulting jokes. Sadly I think that is what the VGAs end up being regardless of what it was intended on being at first. Perhaps because there will be no cable advertising interference this won't happen but I think the concern should be expressed.

Many want the games industry it to be viewed as important and respectable as any other industry but representations of it have to hold themselves to a certain standard. By treating such an event like this as another trade show (E3 ala the Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo. Not Ubisoft, etc.) or high profile award show (BAFTA, Oscars) and less like the MTV movie/music awards and certainly no where near what the VGA's devolved into. That might include possibly boring some people and educating them on various fronts so they have a appreciation of what goes into the games they enjoy or possibly just toss aside without a care. Addressing some problems within the industry and praising the good that is being done.

This might be asking to much. However with this being a fresh start it's at least an opportunity to walk in this direction. It's your baby and I know you have a vision of what you want it to be. These are just some concerns I and I'm sure others have as well.

That doesn't mean there isn't fun to be had and jokes to tell. However that this is being done to represent and to celebrate a billion dollar industry who's customers and fans range from children to grandparents, across a wide spectrum of economic classes and cultures should be remembered.

This is a great post. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Excellent note, I am going to print it out and show it to people working on the show.

Very good.

I can't really think of anyone who would be a more appropriate host than Geoff. Aisha Tyler could work too, I guess.

gocubs

Yes full global stream.

That Vice story/package was cool. Definitely looking to see what we can do with short films inside the show, we will see where we get with that.

I don't think I'll be hosting the show, still figuring that out.

Adam Sessler i think would make a great host.

Just wanted to put my vote in for either you, Aisha Tyler, or Troy Baker as host. The three of you are known, extremely well-spoken, and and obviously love the medium.

Already saw you say you're still trying to figure out the hosting bit, just wanted to make my voice heard. Thanks for keeping an eye on this thread.

Aisha Taylor would be perfect. She does a solid job with the ubisoft show

ChaosXVI

Wishing you the best Geoff! Wish I had more to say for recommendations but everyone else has pretty well hit the nail on the head.

Here's hoping this is finally the award show that this industry deserves.

dEvAnGeL

I expect an uncharted 4 trailer and in the end a message, come watch the gameplay at the playstation experience, that would be one heck of a plug

legacyzero

Banned
One of my other biggest concerns, and this has been expressed by others, is that there is a level of class that this event needs to have. That it doesn't insult the viewer and cater to the lowest common dominator that are only tuning in for the music acts and crude and outright insulting jokes. Sadly I think that is what the VGAs end up being regardless of what it was intended on being at first. Perhaps because there will be no cable advertising interference this won't happen but I think the concern should be expressed.

Many want the games industry it to be viewed as important and respectable as any other industry but representations of it have to hold themselves to a certain standard. By treating such an event like this as another trade show (E3 ala the Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo. Not Ubisoft, etc.) or high profile award show (BAFTA, Oscars) and less like the MTV movie/music awards and certainly no where near what the VGA's devolved into. That might include possibly boring some people and educating them on various fronts so they have a appreciation of what goes into the games they enjoy or possibly just toss aside without a care. Addressing some problems within the industry and praising the good that is being done.

This might be asking to much. However with this being a fresh start it's at least an opportunity to walk in this direction. It's your baby and I know you have a vision of what you want it to be. These are just some concerns I and I'm sure others have as well.

That doesn't mean there isn't fun to be had and jokes to tell. However that this is being done to represent and to celebrate a billion dollar industry who's customers and fans range from children to grandparents, across a wide spectrum of economic classes and cultures should be remembered.
Perfect PERFECT post.

Just because I'm a gamer doesnt mean Im some basement dwelling neck-beard, douchebag, e-sports nut, etc. I just love video games.

I think what this show needs is EVERYTHING gaming.

The guests: Gaming related. GOOD GUESTS. Like Sessler or Totillo. Bad Guest would be Shane Satterfield for example.
The music: Gaming Related. Like when that theme song from The Last Of Us was played live. That was INCREDIBLE. Not some group of idiot rap stars who dont seem to give a damn about what they're supporting.
Host: GAMING RELATED. Not some dumb celeb. Keighley, you were BORN for this, and you dont need to share that spotlight with ANYONE, especially Mchale. God I hated every second that guy was on screen.

Most of all, I think should pay special respects to the greatness of the industry in general. The devs. The fans. The music. The culture.

This is your time to make it perfect.

flkraven

Already seen great recommendations, like Keighley and Tyler, but I'll throw one out of left field. Maybe a little too high profile, but Andy Samberg! He is funny, plays video games, and may have a more inclusive humor than McHale. Where McHale gets his laughs by playing it cool and insulting others, Samberg is more self deprecating.

Ricky 7

Shouldn't Bayonetta 2 technically win the game of the year award since it's the highest rated big game of the year?

geoffmk

Geoff Keighley
Hey guys - One thing we're looking to do at the awards is call out some of the best user created content of the year, great fan videos tied to games. Let me know if you have any suggestions. Stuff like the Luigi Death Stare. What cool content have fans created tied to games in 2014? Would love your suggestions/faves.

Hey guys - One thing we're looking to do at the awards is call out some of the best user created content of the year, great fan videos tied to games. Let me know if you have any suggestions. Stuff like the Luigi Death Stare. What cool content have fans created tied to games in 2014? Would love your suggestions/faves.

There have been a lot of really cool user-created videos of Ground Zeroes shown during Kojima Station. (A lot of it captured via the Share Button!) That kind of stuff is great and I would love to see something similar at this year's Game Awards. :)

ByteSizeRick

Neo Member
I've been entertained by the Destiny dancing videos (dodging bullets, surfing on vehicles, boy band impressions).

I also think that when PT came out there was a lot of community involvement, much of which was streamed at the time. Might be some good archival scares or other back and forth from that.

Both could be useful as interstitals or for something else.

Philippo

Dsfixes?
They made life easier for a lot of Pc gamers.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Keighley is doing this show out of pocket, respect

http://www.polygon.com/2014/11/13/7...amer-centric-award-show-out-of-his-own-pocket

"The investment is my own," he told Polygon. "I'm bankrolling it and we're trying to sell some sponsorships. But there are no submission fees."

Keighley is also hoping to earn back the money for renting Planet Hollywood's AXIS Theater in Vegas through tickets, which went on sale earlier this week for $45 each, but there is no safety net.

"There is a fair amount of risk involved," Keighley said, though he declined to say how much of his own money he had to put up for the show. "I thought about doing a Kickstarter, but I would feel awkward doing that. I think I need to take this on myself to prove I can do it. I need to prove to everyone this is going to be great. If I were to Kickstart it there would have been a fair amount of skepticism.

"Maybe in future years there is a model like that, but the way people can support it this year is by tuning in, coming out to Vegas, telling their friends about it."

soultron

Banned

Saroyan

I'm looking forward to this, especially with Spike and Joel Mchale out of the picture it has a chance of being really good :)

Tagg9

Massive respect to Geoff. Now save yourself some money and just host it yourself! You're a much better MC than all the so-called "celebrities" they used in the VGAs.

Nzyme32

Kind of hoping Geoff does it himself, after seeing how well he did Blizzcon. Further, this is his baby anyway and he likely knows exactly the attitude he wants to convey. Either that or someone new and different. Aisha is fine but I get the impression this show really doesn't need the humour she has at Ubi conferences. It would be too much like an MTV awards or VGX thing.

Curufinwe

Massive respect to Geoff. Now save yourself some money and just host it yourself! You're a much better MC than all the so-called "celebrities" they used in the VGAs.

Good idea. This show could be classy and watchable without the influence of Spike, and TV in general.

Wow. The fact that this is actually bankrolled by Geoff actually has me more optimistic than anything else - at least we know it's being planned from the ground up by a guy that is invested (no pun intended) in games and respects them for what they are. I know everyone here loves to make fun of the Dorito Pope
(and let's be honest, it's a pretty hilarious pic and telling of the state of gaming, etc.)
, but let's not confuse Keighley the host/employee, who It's probably safe to say had little to no input in placing a bag of Doritos next to him in takes, with Keighley the person - I don't see him patronizing gamers considering he's one too.

Good Luck on your endeavor Geoff, I know I'll be watching.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom