• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 at PSX - Impressions, Gameplay, etc.

yEZ0Mj.gif

shootouts in a confined space feels more intense.

less area to cover, but less area to navigate safely as well.

can't believe people are ribbing this game because of it. it makes for a different gunfight feel.

Here's what it is for me. Right now, the action looks pretty generic but that doesn't really matter to me. The world which I've seen, the characters, the concepts, they all really interest me and if I play something with gameplay which doesn't reinvent the wheel but still immerses me in a gorgeous new world then I'm totally cool with that. Also, the criticisms of the cutscenes being interactive seem a bit unfair, they are obviously trying to tell a story here and I've seen a lot of people either always attempt to skip cutscenes or just pick up their phone and don't pay too much attention, sometimes even I do this and I profess to love story-heavy games. If this keeps me engaged and immersed through that mechanic then I'm totally fine with it.

That being said, it looks like when you fight the Beasts the game introduces new mechanics for hand-to-hand combat and despite it showing these very briefly I highly doubt that they are cinematic QTEs as it would appear the character is moving around like someone is controlling him and not as 'naturally' as has been shown in The Order's cutscenes.

I was just dropping off this game, had cancelled my pre-order and now I'm pretty excited again. This game is a bloody roller coaster of public opinion to follow.

viveks86

Never seen queues like this before. WTF. Really hope I can get my hands on it later this evening or tomorrow. At the bloodborne panel now

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Yup, that looks like a third-person shooter from a team that has never made a third-person shooter before, alright.

Their cover looks more fluid than pretty much anything else out there. Outside of Naughty Dog's recent work. A game like GTAV (that gets such high praise) is a goddamned fucking joke when you compare the combat mechanics. And the cover system? haha

edit: gif above, case in point.

also props to RAD for not taking the easy way out (like Naughty Dog and Crystal) and preserving the character's handedness while in cover. Other devs will cheat and switch when it's convenient. RAD actually did all the animation and camera work to get it in there properly. Good job.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
use a period setting and create an ornate historical environment within which all the lore is bent to ensure that the game itself is mechanically identical to everything else on the market.

that's videogames!

KumaJG

yEZ0Mj.gif

shootouts in a confined space feels more intense.

less area to cover, but less area to navigate safely as well.

can't believe people are ribbing this game because of it. it makes for a different gunfight feel.

That shotgun blast looks so satisfying

benjammin

The more gameplay they release, the more my hype dies. I'll wait on some reviews on this, my expectations are really low. Whoever said it looked like a clunky, boring gears of war was right on the money

It looks like a lot of the takedowns and such are dynamic and based on the environment which is cool.

It may divisive but I feel like this game will play very nicely. I also absolutely love the whole aesthetic and time period. Elevates it even if the gameplay is average.

Evolved1

I find the gunplay actually looks a lot more satisfying and fun than the new Uncharted demo.

Antitrop, the guy who wants gaf to think Spec Ops wasn't a piece of shit TPS.

If I may, what would make it not look generic and boring? It's a third person shooter, this is how they play. Either cover/corridor focused gunplay, or run around rampant gunplay maybe with a roll or something.

I've said more than once it's so sad how people just accept that third person shooter=regen health, braindead enemies, super basic boring level design, etc. The gameplay looks paper thin. The only sense of strategy it seems to require is stay behind cover, shoot dudes, get in cover when hurt. Nothing stands out as smart or well thought or interesting in any way.

Stop accepting this bullshit as the norm. AAA is not in any way actually leading with smart game design and it's irritating how people are just like WELL IT'S A THIRD PERSON SHOOTER WHAT DO YOU EXPECT!?!? You can make a third person shooter with more interesting levels and enemies, ditch the regen health, expect the player to do more than just take cover and pop out to shoot enemies, stop trying to make QTE's cool.

Or just keep buying the exact same game and going OMG THESE GRAPHICS because clearly that's all some people need to call a game good now.

Evolved1

The more gameplay they release, the more my hype dies. I'll wait on some reviews on this, my expectations are really low. Whoever said it looked like a clunky, boring gears of war was right on the money

You know I can understand people saying it's boring or formulmatic... but clunky?

That's a great find, thanks. Can't get over how good this all looks graphically. And that's not intended as a backhanded compliment either, because the game does look like it plays as a solid (albeit unspectacular) shooter with some nice punchy weapons to use, but daaaamn those graphics. The atmosphere, the attention to detail, the flawless art direction, all wrapped up in an astonishing visual package. It looks flawless.

Wish I was there playing the demo so bad now.

Zukkoyaki

I've said more than once it's so sad how people just accept that third person shooter=regen health, braindead enemies, super basic boring level design, etc. The gameplay looks paper thin. The only sense of strategy it seems to require is stay behind cover, shoot dudes, get in cover when hurt. Nothing stands out as smart or well thought or interesting in any way.

Stop accepting this bullshit as the norm. AAA is not in any way actually leading with smart game design and it's irritating how people are just like WELL IT'S A THIRD PERSON SHOOTER WHAT DO YOU EXPECT!?!? You can make a third person shooter with more interesting levels and enemies, ditch the regen health, expect the player to do more than just take cover and pop out to shoot enemies, stop trying to make QTE's cool.

Or just keep buying the exact same game and going OMG THESE GRAPHICS because clearly that's all some people need to call a game good now.

Sounds like it isn't your genre then. Every notable third person shooter follows most, if not all, of those tropes. I understand that's the point you're trying to make, but singling out The Order like what most people are doing is silly. There are games like Uncharted 4 and Quantum Break that aren't anything refreshing either.

MormaPope

Banned
2 Was garbage, 3 was mediocre, didn't play the last one but the first had its moments. And garbage maybe is too strong but it doesn't have that many redeeming factors.

Gears 3 has:

Single player campaign that can be played with four players
Multiplayer
Horde mode
Beast mode
Tons of unlockables for multiplayer
Fantastic weapon variety
Best netcode in the series
Single player itself had a ton of variety when it comes to confrontations and design

Yeah, what a shit show that game was.

ZehDon

My concerns aren't so much about the narrative/gameplay ratio directly, because it could very well deliver a great first time experience. My concerns are rather the effects that this is going to have on replayability. As a single player only game, I feel that just having a good story the first time through isn't good enough - the game has to remain fun on the Nth playthrough to justify itself. I've replayed The Last of Us twice, and even though I love the game, I get a little bored in some of the "walk and talk" sections, because the game forces you to walk slow so that the characters can deliver the dialogue. Those sections are about five minutes long, and TLOU has a complete multiplayer mode to back to up. These hands-on impressions with The Order talking about unskippable segments of 15-20 minutes of non-gameplay are setting off alarm bells. That sounds boring on the first playthrough, let alone the 5th.

Wolfenstein did the impossible and made a single-player only first person shooter that was absolutely worth the price tag. I've replayed it once, and I'm looking forward to another go-round soon for the trophies. It works so damn well because it got the hell out of the way and let the player play the game. The Order seems to not be doing that. They better unlock something more than just "New Game+" when its done, because if their idea of "replayability" is just shooting enemies that are more bullet-spongey while still sitting through the same 15 minute non-interactive "walk and talks", then I'm out.

Sounds like it isn't your genre then. Every notable third person shooter follows most, if not all, of those tropes. I understand that's the point you're trying to make, but singling out The Order like what most people are doing is silly. There are games like Uncharted 4 and Quantum Break that aren't anything refreshing either.

Wow great job not actually responding to my post.

I don't really care for Uncharted 4 or Quantum Break either. I'm saying more can be done in the genre and ISN'T being done. The game looks like trash either way. Once again, the enemies look dumb, the regen health is terrible, there's zero sense of thinking required on the player's side. That doesn't need to be a genre standard at all. "Not your kind of game" is such a tired response from posters who basically can't defend the game any other way I swear.

Also godlike job moving that goalpost from "how is it generic" to "well ok maybe it's generic but uhhh that's the genre". You're accepting laziness at its worse. I see zero original thought put into this game, it is one of the most cynically made AAA titles I've seen in a while. Hey lets get two vague meaningless concepts (OMG STEAMPUNK AND WEREWOLVES!!!) and put them together in the most basic third person shooter man could ever make!

IKizzLE

Seems like you described pretty much every third person shooter ever made. Outside of some zany/crazy games like Vanquish, this descriptions fits some of the highest rated TPS ever made: Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter, Gears of War Trilogy, etc. Seems like your not a fan of the straight up third person shooter genre and may want a third person camera in an open world like GTA or a third person RPG like mass effect, which this game is not and will not be for you.

I wanted to see gameplay and I got it. It looks pretty smooth and tight and hands on impressions seem to confirm that. Definitely a bit more optimistic now.

luca_29_bg

laa-yosh from beyond3d ( i think this guy works in the industry of cg movie i'm not sure) but he wrote that the order gameplay and cinematics are night and day in difference (in uncharted 4 thread)...O_O I'm blind, i can't see it!

Day One. They have 2 months left to polish the fuck out of this game. Sony needs to make sure the game presented in the best light possible going forward as well. Relieved to see there is a good possibility the critics won't bury it after all the negativity.

IKizzLE

My concerns aren't so much about the narrative/gameplay ratio directly, because it could very well deliver a great first time experience. My concerns are rather the effects that this is going to have on replayability. As a single player only game, I feel that just having a good story the first time through isn't good enough - the game has to remain fun on the Nth playthrough to justify itself. I've replayed The Last of Us twice, and even though I love the game, I get a little bored in some of the "walk and talk" sections, because the game forces you to walk slow so that the characters can deliver the dialogue. Those sections are about five minutes long, and TLOU has a complete multiplayer mode to back to up. These hands-on impressions with The Order talking about unskippable segments of 15-20 minutes of non-gameplay are setting off alarm bells. That sounds boring on the first playthrough, let alone the 5th.

Wolfenstein did the impossible and made a single-player only first person shooter that was absolutely worth the price tag. I've replayed it once, and I'm looking forward to another go-round soon for the trophies. It works so damn well because it got the hell out of the way and let the player play the game. The Order seems to not be doing that. They better unlock something more than just "New Game+" when its done, because if their idea of "replayability" is just shooting enemies that are more bullet-spongey while still sitting through the same 15 minute non-interactive "walk and talks", then I'm out.

I'm thinking replay-ability will be its biggest negative.

Top Bottom