• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I am here to eat my Spiderman 2 crow!

I LOVE me some Elden Ring, but this is a weird take. ER's open world was probably one of it's weakest elements design-wise. Art direction-wise it's 11/10, but ultimately it fell pray to the same copy/pasta pit falls of all open world games.

Not saying it's good or bad. That's subjective.

But it's new and different. Makes game stand out from 100s of Ubisoft clones.

BbMajor7th

Not saying it's good or bad. That's subjective.

But it's new and different. Makes game stand out from 100s of Ubisoft clones.
What's new and different? "See that castle in the distance? You can go there?" I'm not sure it does anything with world design that Skyrim didn't already do, except reducing the amount of freedom by gating off certain areas behind story progress.

Last edited:

Marvel14

Banned
Looks like a playing-it-safe expansion on the first game with tons of asset reuse
Sowing the seeds so that when it gets 90+ on Metacritic you can hit 'em with "it's just Spider-man 1 DLC" ....

You Know It Good Job GIF by Curious Pavel

zeldaring

Banned
To be fair as much as I like Insomniac I'm not expecting a 90+ for this. However around the 80s would be what I think it will get. It still would be a good game if it lands around there.
if they nail the story and side missions then 90 easy. spider man has some big issues with the stupid puzzles, MJ and side missions and got a 87.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Same city is different biomes now??

LMAO.

Nothing wrong with an old school game like this. Am sure it will be enjoyable. But don't try to act like it's something it's not.
It's your FRIENDLY NEIGHBORHOOD SPIDER-MAN in New York. You want Spider-Man to teleport from New York to Mumbai to Oslo while fighting crimes?

There are different neighborhoods in this game. It's not an interplanetary space game. WTF is your argument lmao!

Virex

Banned
Y'all need to put some respect on Insomniac's name
Shall not respect Insomniac, respect is earned and they have not made a Sunset Overdrive 2 yet. And thus I take it upon my person to not respect them. I say this respectfully.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
I don't know how or when this whole non-sense about a sequel needing to be a completely different game came from but "fanboys are gonna fanboy" so... 🤷‍♂️ unless, of course, a more of the same sequel is coming to their favorite box. :D
If Spiderman on PS4 was the first game and Miles Morales was just a stop-over spin-off to tide us over for the "real" sequel, then I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a major visual leap, especially when the sequel is on a console much more powerful than the PS4.

Knowing the visual jump between TLOU1 and TLOU2, it would be hard to get excited if TLOU3 on PS5 ended up being only a slight improvement over TLOU2. Same thing here.

If Spiderman Miles Morales had been PS5-only and a gigantic leap over PS4 Spiderman and then Spiderman 2 was building off Miles Morales then no problem, but that's not what we have here.

I'd actually argue the polar opposite to what you're saying, i.e. when did we suddenly stop expecting major leaps between consoles? People said the PS4 was terribly underpowered from the get-go and yet we still had visual bangers a few years in (relative to PS3). Hell, look at stuff like Ryse Son of Rome, what an absolute visual powerhouse and it was available at launch.

PS5 launched as a system with respectable performance (not top of the line PC-beating specs but consoles never are) and yet now it's somehow criminal to expect meaningful visual leaps?

I think what's happened is that, because of the relative of ease of putting games on both current and last gen (because they're both x86-based and both AMD, as opposed to PS4 x86 versus the Cell processor in the PS3), the executive teams (ie people controlling money and budgets) at these publishers/platforms have decided "fuck it, who cares about technical innovation, let's keep cross-gen going for as long as possible so we can milk the last gen installed base".

Last edited:

zeldaring

Banned
If Spiderman on PS4 was the first game and Miles Morales was just a stop-over spin-off to tide us over for the "real" sequel, then I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a major visual leap, especially when the sequel is on a console much more powerful than the PS4.

Knowing the visual jump between TLOU1 and TLOU2, it would be hard to get excited if TLOU3 on PS5 ended up being only a slight improvement over TLOU2. Same thing here.

If Spiderman Miles Morales had been PS5-only and a gigantic leap over PS4 Spiderman and then Spiderman 2 was building off Miles Morales then no problem, but that's not what we have here.

I'd actually argue the polar opposite to what you're saying, i.e. when did we suddenly stop expecting major leaps between consoles? People said the PS4 was terribly underpowered from the get-go and yet we still had visual bangers a few years in (relative to PS3). PS5 launched as a system with respectable performance (not top of the line PC-beating specs but consoles never are) and yet now it's somehow criminal to expect meaningful visual leaps?
I think we are the point that everything looks good so you won't real sense of the visuals till you're actually playing the game.

Last edited:
It's your FRIENDLY NEIGHBORHOOD SPIDER-MAN in New York. You want Spider-Man to teleport from New York to Mumbai to Oslo while fighting crimes?

There are different neighborhoods in this game. It's not an interplanetary space game. WTF is your argument lmao!

I get it. I was just watching New York City video and it stuck me. Do they want me to do this all over again?

Especially jarring when you are playing a game thats doing something new with open world genre.

But I get it, it's high profile title and will be fun to play am assuming. Nothing wrong with that.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
The game looks amazing but deffo looks like a souped up ps4 game. Which it is. There's nothing wrong with that. It's gonna be great.

Cant wait for this. I parted with an extra 400 squids for it.

Gudji

I get it. I was just watching New York City video and it stuck me. Do they want me to do this all over again?

Especially jarring when you are playing a game thats doing something new with open world genre.

But I get it, it's high profile title and will be fun to play am assuming. Nothing wrong with that.
Starfield isn't doing anything new though. You need to play more games.

I ain't talking about specific games I'm talking about facts starfield brought nothing new to the gaming industry. It does literally nothing new, it's fucking fallout 4 in space.

Thought so. There is nothing to point at, outside making assumptions.

Baldur's gate 3... Divinity Original Sin 1 and 2, at least from the ones I played so far.

You can change biomes in those games anytime you want?? You can't. Try again.

It's New York City. You want a A bomb to destroy the entire city so the devs can rebuild it?

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I would like to know which games are those.

No procedurally generated games please.

Only ones with narrative structure. And if possible, persistence.
Changing biomes is not something revolutionary or new to Starfield lol. Returnal is one of the many such games that allow you to change biomes -- and without a 10-second loading screen too.

I'm sure you'll now bring up another point ... "but Returnal doesn't do that."

No procedurally generated disqualifies Starfield too, but I'm sure your criterias are flexible enough to fit your narrative.

Not saying Starfield is be all end all. Just that it does enough new. Takes open world narrative focused games to new heights.

It's not an easy thing to do, proven by barrage of Ubisoft style open world games.

Ah... what?
Have you even played those games before? You should try, unlike this game you're trying to defend, you don't need to spend 15h until it "get's good". :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Have spent 150 hrs in Divinity OS2. Looking forward to BG3.

These games are great. Not quite be all end all though, where you can just use it as Trump card to win any argument.

It's New York City. You want a A bomb to destroy the entire city so the devs can rebuild it?

Nope. It's gonna be great most likely. Never questioned that. A bit familiar and old school. That's all.

Lol, Starfield is the definition of old school on a technical level. Very outdated engine.

Some people don't want persistent world, they want fast in and out, loading times.

Some people don't want simulated NPCs and rpg elements, they want slick animations and lip syncing.

All the engine limitations of that game, they allow for a brand of of game that Bethesda makes. They can easily make different design choices (no persistence, no simulation or rpg elements) and it will be as slick as next open world game.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Some people don't want persistent world, they want fast in and out, loading times.

Some people don't want simulated NPCs and rpg elements, they want slick animations and lip syncing.

All the engine limitations of that game, they allow for a brand of of game that Bethesda makes. They can easily make different design choices (no persistence, no simulation or rpg elements) and it will be as slick as next open world game.

There's no reason what they're doing couldn't be done with seamless streaming instead of everything being instanced with load screens, except for the fact that their engine is outdated in terms of I/O.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

Oh, so some people WANT loading screens.

Lil Yachty Drake GIF by hamlet

Who are these people, and why are they living in 2009?

NO ONE wants loading screens, bro. Let it go. Also, let's not make this thread about Starfield. Please don't derail.

Last edited:
Top Bottom