• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I am here to eat my Spiderman 2 crow!

makaveli60

486t4c.jpg

I got to admit I was wrong. Althought I am a huge insomniac fan (love Ratchet and Clank series) Spiderman 2 to this point unimpressed me. I was expecting big things considering this was developed exclusively for the PS5. I was not impressed until today.

The game has really been cleaned up in this short but sweet trailer. I am really impressed by the smooth transitions from the Maps to gameplay. Switching between the 2 characters are equally impressive. The few moments of game play shown are highly impressive. The Draw distance, the Lighting, the motion, etc are hitting the mark.

This maybe the new benchmark game for the current generation.

Well, I think I’ll join in the crow eating as I had the same feeling before this showing and now I also have the same feeling as you.

Mr.Phoenix

Ofc it is a Sony thing we need to have special argument for it, like bro just admit it is not a significant leap it is okay Jim Ryan wont show up in your dreams and demand a pound of flesh
Don't be a retard.. its common sense. Then again, as they say, common sense isn't common.

There is a reason, that if you take the best of whatever the PS4 had to offer, there is not a single game yet on any platform, that looks a generation (by your PS3-PS4 example standards) better. Not one. And there's a very simple obvious reason for that.

It's also why you wouldn't be able to show any example like you did with uncharted. Try and learn a thing or two, it would save you from making such silly arguments.

Right now, with these current-gen consoles, how you measure that generational leap, are by very different metrics. It would be things like resolution, geometric density, texture quality, framerate, loading time, traversal speed, RT...etc.

You are not gonna see anything that looks night and day different or better than the best of what we had last gen. Sorry, my guy... these are just facts.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Not saying Starfield is be all end all. Just that it does enough new. Takes open world narrative focused games to new heights.

It's not an easy thing to do, proven by barrage of Ubisoft style open world games.

Have spent 150 hrs in Divinity OS2. Looking forward to BG3.

These games are great. Not quite be all end all though, where you can just use it as Trump card to win any argument.

Nope. It's gonna be great most likely. Never questioned that. A bit familiar and old school. That's all.
So it does some things new but everything that you listed has been done before?You know I don't care if a game does things and I don't think every new game/ip/sequel should be a revolution in gaming but let's stay a bit realistic it doesn't do anything new and that's OK.Not everything about this game should be attack force vs defence force, it is just a game with some good and some bad.

Mr.Phoenix

How is this trolling?

Why are you taking instant switching of biomes for granted?

Why don't Insomniac make it if it were so easy?
You are just showing your hand lol...

okay, let's assume that all of a sudden, switching between characters and locations in an open-world game (which last I heard these big city things were) doesn't count anymore. And You want to use SF as some sort of stupid standard of accomplishment to which Insomniachasnt achieved because its not easy...

Should we just pretend Rachet doesn't exist?

And I don't know what game you have been playing honestly, but there is no damn instant switching of anything in the Starfield I am playing. And you are the one talking about calling things what they are. Oh wait... could it be that SF is the fastest-loading game you have played? Well, that would explain a lot.

Mr.Phoenix

If Spiderman on PS4 was the first game and Miles Morales was just a stop-over spin-off to tide us over for the "real" sequel, then I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a major visual leap, especially when the sequel is on a console much more powerful than the PS4.

Knowing the visual jump between TLOU1 and TLOU2, it would be hard to get excited if TLOU3 on PS5 ended up being only a slight improvement over TLOU2. Same thing here.

If Spiderman Miles Morales had been PS5-only and a gigantic leap over PS4 Spiderman and then Spiderman 2 was building off Miles Morales then no problem, but that's not what we have here.

I'd actually argue the polar opposite to what you're saying, i.e. when did we suddenly stop expecting major leaps between consoles? People said the PS4 was terribly underpowered from the get-go and yet we still had visual bangers a few years in (relative to PS3). Hell, look at stuff like Ryse Son of Rome, what an absolute visual powerhouse and it was available at launch.

PS5 launched as a system with respectable performance (not top of the line PC-beating specs but consoles never are) and yet now it's somehow criminal to expect meaningful visual leaps?

I think what's happened is that, because of the relative of ease of putting games on both current and last gen (because they're both x86-based and both AMD, as opposed to PS4 x86 versus the Cell processor in the PS3), the executive teams (ie people controlling money and budgets) at these publishers/platforms have decided "fuck it, who cares about technical innovation, let's keep cross-gen going for as long as possible so we can milk the last gen installed base".
I get and hear what people say, and will always say... but all I can say.. is that they are wrong. Diminishing returns is a real thing. That's not to say we would never get another generational leap, but it's just going to take a lot longer to happen.

You seem like a reasonable poster, so I would give you the respect and courtesy of my time and respond to you properly.

To best make my point, here is the list of GPU power in some generations of consoles.

PS2 = 0.0062TF
PS3 = 0.23TF ( 37x more powerful than PS2 GPU)
PS4 = 1.8TF ( ~8x more powerful than PS3 GPU)
PS5 = 10.2TF ( ~5.5x more powerful than PS4 GPU)

See what the problem is? Those generational leaps people talk about, that you are referring to, can only happen when you are looking at jumps of at least 8x in GPU power. But that's even just scratching the surface, in reality, you should be looking at jumps in excess of 8x across the board. With EVERYTHING. RAM, bandwidth, CPU power, GPU power...etc. And I am sorry to break it to you, but that's just not happening from gen to gen anymore.

We basically need to get to the PS6, before we see a generational leap from the PS4 akin to what we saw from the PS3 to the PS4. And that's hoping that the devs don't somehow blow all that power on 8k or something stupid like that. Because thats another thing, these jumps we are talking about get totally negated if the resolutions are jumping too. Eg. You need around 6x the GPU power, to take the exact same game with a myriad of modern features running at 1080p to 2160p at the same framerate

Last edited:

Ginzeen

Banned
i have yet to play the first one. Don't know if i ever will....these type of games to me are just kinda meh

I get and hear what people say, and will always say... but all I can say.. is that they are wrong. Diminishing returns is a real thing. That's not to say we would never get another generational leap, but it's just going to take a lot longer to happen.

You seem like a reasonable poster, so I would give you the respect and courtesy of my time and respond to you properly.

To best make my point, here is the list of GPU power in some generations of consoles.

PS2 = 0.0062TF

See what the problem is? Those generational leaps people talk about, that you are referring to, can only happen when you are looking at jumps of at least 8x in GPU power. But that's even just scratching the surface, in reality, you should be looking at jumps in excess of 8x across the board. With EVERYTHING. RAM, bandwidth, CPU power, GPU power...etc. And I am sorry to break it to you, but that's just not happening from gen to gen anymore.

We basically need to get to the PS6, before we see a generational leap from the PS4 akin to what we saw from the PS3 to the PS4. And that's hoping that the devs don't somehow blow all that power on 8k or something stupid like that. Because thats another thing, these jumps we are talking about get totally negated if the resolutions are jumping too. Eg. You need around 6x the GPU power, to take the exact same game with a myriad of modern features running at 1080p to 2160p at the same framerate
Valiant effort, but my advice is saving yourself from taking seriously graphics discussions from people either using starfield (lol) or nintendo games as a benchmark. You know 9/10 times it's just a troll post :messenger_grinning_smiling:

hyperbertha

Care to throw out some examples of what you consider a visible significant enhancement on such a game?
Double the size of the city, at least 2 playable characters, no loadings, even faster movement through the environment, new enemies, no more last gen release (thank fuck) and continuing the story people enjoyed last time.
Don't be fucking obtuse. How about looking marginally close to horizon forbidden west, a cross gen game for a start?

sainraja

If Spiderman on PS4 was the first game and Miles Morales was just a stop-over spin-off to tide us over for the "real" sequel, then I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a major visual leap, especially when the sequel is on a console much more powerful than the PS4.

Knowing the visual jump between TLOU1 and TLOU2, it would be hard to get excited if TLOU3 on PS5 ended up being only a slight improvement over TLOU2. Same thing here.

If Spiderman Miles Morales had been PS5-only and a gigantic leap over PS4 Spiderman and then Spiderman 2 was building off Miles Morales then no problem, but that's not what we have here.

I'd actually argue the polar opposite to what you're saying, i.e. when did we suddenly stop expecting major leaps between consoles? People said the PS4 was terribly underpowered from the get-go and yet we still had visual bangers a few years in (relative to PS3). Hell, look at stuff like Ryse Son of Rome, what an absolute visual powerhouse and it was available at launch.

PS5 launched as a system with respectable performance (not top of the line PC-beating specs but consoles never are) and yet now it's somehow criminal to expect meaningful visual leaps?

I think what's happened is that, because of the relative of ease of putting games on both current and last gen (because they're both x86-based and both AMD, as opposed to PS4 x86 versus the Cell processor in the PS3), the executive teams (ie people controlling money and budgets) at these publishers/platforms have decided "fuck it, who cares about technical innovation, let's keep cross-gen going for as long as possible so we can milk the last gen installed base".
I wasn't saying that in graphical terms. I was referring to those who expect a "completely different" game, something completely different from what was shown before—where more of what people like is somehow a bad thing. Now, this does not mean improvements aren't expected, it's just not going to be a night and day difference. Speaking of the visuals, I do think they are looking nice but for me, as long as the game looks nice, how much of a leap there is, isn't as important.

sainraja

if they nail the story and side missions then 90 easy. spider man has some big issues with the stupid puzzles, MJ and side missions and got a 87.
I enjoyed the puzzles. I think the MJ missions were fine as well. It was a nice change of pace... but I can see why some wouldn't enjoy the MJ missions.

Last edited:

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<

PS2 = 0.0062TF

You can’t dismiss architectural changes to GPUs. Comparing raw TF isn't really comparing apples to apples.

Billbofet

It definitely is starting to look better than the previous showing. What hasn't changed much is the gameplay looks very, very similar.
My least favorite part of the last game was all the stuff they keep saying there's more of in the new game.
I'll get it when it's under $20.

sainraja

This game is nothing like those games.

A couple of recent examples:

Elden Ring: Open world exploration guided by world design.

Starfield: a few button presses changes your planet. Instant switching of biomes. There is a loading screen but it's fast enough. Gives you very good visual variety.

Not saying Spiderman 2 should copy those two. It's not possible within the IP. But a fresh take to world design or maybe how quests are handled would be much appreciated. As of now it's a cool game but overly familiar.
So out-dated gun play, loading screen 'visuals' is more your flavor? ;)

Disclaimer: This post is brought to you by Console Wars 2023 Edition. A pointless publication bringing you pointless arguments. No fanboys were hurt.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

You can’t dismiss architectural changes to GPUs. Comparing raw TF isn't really comparing apples to apples.
Not dismissing them, just not getting too specific. The point still remains though. Just didn't want to be anal about it. No need to get into architectural differences because its not like game engines and the resources they need are an apples-to-apples thing too. Eg. if devs were just ding SPR for their reflections or using cube maps, then, of course, you get more performance out of a game, but they are doing RT, which ends up taking performance off the table.

Or we can say hey now you have 6x more memory bandwidth, but now you need to move 3 more data anyways so.... etc.

oh... and for the record... a TF is a TF. Its actually an apples-to-apples thing. To suggest otherwise is like saying a mile is not a mile depending on what car you are looking at. The stuff in a renderpipeline that has to do with the TFs, would be identical across every GPU that has a TF listing. Architectural differences would appear when looking at the other things outside the actual compute unit. like presence of other specialty components (RT cores, cache scrubbers...etc)

Last edited:
Game seems ultra boring. Still the same Ubisoft map filled of tons of icons leading to mindless activities.

Although I am a Sony fan I think I will never play it.
Not every game is for everyone, so that's okay. However people that like these games like the Arkham Batman games , love to see this stuff.

StueyDuck

What exactly does a spiderman 2 crow look like. Some sort of mutant spider with wings or a crow with a spiders body

So out-dated gun play, loading screen 'visuals' is more your flavor? ;)

Disclaimer: This post is brought to you by Console Wars 2023 Edition. A pointless publication bringing you pointless arguments. No fanboys were hurt.

It's an rpg. Try to make this build it will be way more fun.

As for loading screens, everything in game is persistent. That will have some downsides. I don't know how engine works, but if it were my guess, that's where I would point to.

omegasc

Based on the replies, they should make it about helping MJ finding a second job to pay the bills while Peter spends all income with the spider suite, and you can insta-switch to Miles to solve some of his homework and feed Spider-Cat. Think of all the action! BRAND NEW SPIDER EXPERIENCE!
Hire me, Insomniac!

j0hnnix

Gold Member
From the starfield thread:
CFpaHwy.png
IPVCctb.png
oxkBuCi.png

Ouch. How does it feel to be owned? You can sit back down now.

Yes all you sony losers trying desperately to shift the narrative and damage control doesn't change anything. Game looks like dlc. End of story. This video shows NOTHING new.
Well.. You need to play 9000000 hours to actually get into the fun parts of Starfield.. Give it a chance.
Ha Ha Ha Lol GIF

Spiderman 2 looks amazing, i was down as well in early previews but damn.. does it look good.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Well.. You need to play 9000000 hours to actually get into the fun parts of Starfield.. Give it a chance.
Ha Ha Ha Lol GIF
That's so hilarious. It's funny because that's soooooo many hours. What a funny joke. That silly Starfield intro taking 90000000 hours, I can't stop laughing about how many hours it takes.

You know what would be even funnier? If someone else posts the same joke but changes the number to 99999999. I can't hardly wait. 99999999 would be a higher number, so it would be even funnier.

Last edited:

Macaron

Banned
From the starfield thread:
CFpaHwy.png
IPVCctb.png
oxkBuCi.png

Ouch. How does it feel to be owned? You can sit back down now.

Yes all you sony losers trying desperately to shift the narrative and damage control doesn't change anything. Game looks like dlc. End of story. This video shows NOTHING new.
I assure you, you are self owning when you are on the internet taking videogames and consoles this seriously and emotionally.

kaizenkko

If Insomniac manages to deliver a game with really good side content (main game will be definitely good), this game can be one of Sony's greatest titles.

I believe it will be a good game anyway, but let's wait and see if it will be good like the last one, or good like God of War/The Last of Us.

Guilty_AI

Ok, genuine question.

Overall seems more of the same, which is fine for people who liked the previous one, but in that case why the previous showcase didn't excite you? It was also showing more of the same, just like this one, just the way people want it.

I don't get what part of this makes it suddenly exciting for people who weren't already, even graphics don't seem much different.

Last edited:

Macaron

Banned
Ok, genuine question.

Overall seems more of the same, which is fine for people who liked the previous one, but in that case why the previous showcase didn't excite you? It was also showing more of the same, just like this one, just the way people want it.

I don't get what part of this makes it suddenly exciting for people who weren't already, even graphics don't seem much different.
"people" Im pretty sure OP is one person

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Not dismissing them, just not getting too specific. The point still remains though. Just didn't want to be anal about it. No need to get into architectural differences because its not like game engines and the resources they need are an apples-to-apples thing too. Eg. if devs were just ding SPR for their reflections or using cube maps, then, of course, you get more performance out of a game, but they are doing RT, which ends up taking performance off the table.

Or we can say hey now you have 6x more memory bandwidth, but now you need to move 3 more data anyways so.... etc.

oh... and for the record... a TF is a TF. Its actually an apples-to-apples thing. To suggest otherwise is like saying a mile is not a mile depending on what car you are looking at. The stuff in a renderpipeline that has to do with the TFs, would be identical across every GPU that has a TF listing. Architectural differences would appear when looking at the other things outside the actual compute unit. like presence of other specialty components (RT cores, cache scrubbers...etc)
You cant even compare AMD TF to Nvidia TF. Its sadly not some SI Unit.

Don't be fucking obtuse. How about looking marginally close to horizon forbidden west, a cross gen game for a start?
I don't think it looks anywhere close to Horizon at all. Not the gameplay, not the aesthetics, nothing at all.

I didn't like horizon at all, but the graphics were probably one of the best parts of it.

So does this all come down to a bunch of people complaining the graphics are not good enough after watching a youtube compressed video most likely in a laptop or phone screen? What is your benchmark for that quality you're not seeing in this game exactly?

Top Bottom